Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

On Porcupine Tree's middle period: Recordings is a collection of non-album tracks and alternate versions from that era which I actually like better than any of the actual albums from that period. Buying New Soul is a magnificent song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I just listened to the stuff after In Absentia. When I saw them live, they only played tracks from after that. But the set list changed every night, they were just great musicians.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Warthur posted:

On Porcupine Tree's middle period: Recordings is a collection of non-album tracks and alternate versions from that era which I actually like better than any of the actual albums from that period. Buying New Soul is a magnificent song.

i feel this way too. As much as I like individual tracks from that era I really feel like Recordings flows well and better captures the quiet desperation of that era.

Anyone else prefer the drum machine to Gavin on Up the Downstair? Thought it was charming and Gavin's bells and whistles add nothing to the songs.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I'd like to plug my friend Marina's radio show, The Other Rock Show, which can be streamed anywhere at https://www.resonancefm.com. Technically it's not a "prog show", rather her focus is music that experiments with strange time signatures, so there is naturally a lot of prog. Every Sunday at 21:00GMT

You can also find previous episodes on Resonancefm's Replay. She's made me spend hundreds of pounds on albums over the years.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

just saw the nyc King Crimson show and it was goddamn amazing.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Going to see King Crimson next week in Atlanta and I'm getting more hyped for it every day.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

King Crimson in Atlanta (Cobb) was great. Everything was crisp and loud, but especially so after intermission. Epitaph ranks up there with the best live versions of anything I've heard and the crowd went nuts for Indiscipline's intro.

Everybody seemed to heed the photo policy. I had seats up at the very top of the building and don't see how anybody in the orchestra section stood the noise as you could feel the drumming two rows from the top.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

RC and Moon Pie posted:

King Crimson in Atlanta (Cobb) was great. Everything was crisp and loud, but especially so after intermission. Epitaph ranks up there with the best live versions of anything I've heard and the crowd went nuts for Indiscipline's intro.

Everybody seemed to heed the photo policy. I had seats up at the very top of the building and don't see how anybody in the orchestra section stood the noise as you could feel the drumming two rows from the top.

I have been front row once when Rieflin was drumming and all I heard was him and Gavin, mostly. Could see one of Fripp's hands. You want to be able to see over the drummers!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

tldr I’ve loved KC/Fripp for years and years but I’m just now trying to dig into the non Court albums. I... should have done this so much earlier. Lately I’ve been in the deepest prog hole I’ve been in since I was a teen and good lord there’s so much unexplored territory in the genre. Sometimes I agree with Fripp about prog rock being a dumb redundant genre but I think he’s just grumpy. At the same time I kinda get it when you compare many derivative prog albums to similar KC ones.

Anyway

I finally “get” Red in its entirety. Absolutely gorgeous album. The dark ominous nature of it is something I’m always in the mood for. Nothing I can say about it hasn’t alright been said.

The Power To Believe is something I can’t quite grok. It’s awesome but sometimes gives me 00s weird alt metal vibes and that was never my thing. It seems to do it better than others though so I’m going to stick with it and give it a bunch of listens. I love the fact that Fripp & co were doing this in ‘03.

Larks absolutely rules. I had listened before but didn’t have the right amount of weed and open mindedness to get it. Now I do. Listened in the right mood and setting and god drat it’s amazing. Nowhere near as dense as I felt before. As I’ve learned with this band, the technical and weird seems to always serve a purpose and have context. When you start to get a sense for the rhythm of that push and pull in their songwriting/soundcraft/improvisation you appreciate every detail as well as the whole even more.

Lizard is very interesting. I need more time with it. I think really digging into the connection and evolution from Court is key here. There are some ideas on this one whether it be certain tones or melodies that are so incredibly cool. 1970 too. drat.

I’m looking forward to Islands next I think. It seems controversial. I know about Ladies of the Road and while the horny on main lyrics don’t bother me the weird Chinese girl “me no” part aged unfortunately.

I have to admit, as a music dork King Crimson challenges the hell out of me as a listener/musician. Do I put my own music on a similar level of respect and creative quality or am I just phoning it in trying to be as cool and deep as my idols, never truly tapping into where it can lead? Who knows. I’m trying!

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Sep 30, 2019

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
It has been said there will be something like an Introduction to Guitar Craft course next October somewhere in the US, but designed to include non-musicians with a focus on making and appreciating music, with RF directing. He made a basic comment about it in Philadelphia during the Royal Package.

As more information becomes public should I mention it here?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rust Martialis posted:

It has been said there will be something like an Introduction to Guitar Craft course next October somewhere in the US, but designed to include non-musicians with a focus on making and appreciating music, with RF directing. He made a basic comment about it in Philadelphia during the Royal Package.

As more information becomes public should I mention it here?

Yes please!

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I revisited Abacab from Genesis yesterday and after it mostly not leaving an impression after listening to it a few times over 10+ years, it's starting to click with me. The big standout is "Keep It Dark" which has that deep guitar lick on the rhythm. Yeah, Abacab is pop rock but its still pretty proggy and I'm ready to embrace the later era Genesis. Even if I don't like the albums as much as Lamb Lies Down or Trick, they're still pretty solid and very listenable.

That might be my arc for most Genesis albums though. I don't love their stuff initially. I have to contemplate and come back to it.

Speaking of Genesis, I checked out a newer prog band named Big Big Train, and their sound is very Genesis. The singing and instrumentation are very close to 70's era Genesis. I'll check them out some more because like the original Genesis, I might get into their stuff after returning to it. There's something that draws me back.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

DoubleCakes posted:

I revisited Abacab from Genesis yesterday and after it mostly not leaving an impression after listening to it a few times over 10+ years, it's starting to click with me. The big standout is "Keep It Dark" which has that deep guitar lick on the rhythm. Yeah, Abacab is pop rock but its still pretty proggy and I'm ready to embrace the later era Genesis. Even if I don't like the albums as much as Lamb Lies Down or Trick, they're still pretty solid and very listenable.

That might be my arc for most Genesis albums though. I don't love their stuff initially. I have to contemplate and come back to it.

Speaking of Genesis, I checked out a newer prog band named Big Big Train, and their sound is very Genesis. The singing and instrumentation are very close to 70's era Genesis. I'll check them out some more because like the original Genesis, I might get into their stuff after returning to it. There's something that draws me back.

Big Big Train is fully exceptional. It's funny that you note the similarity in sound to Genesis, as David Longdon, the lead singer, very nearly became the replacement for Phil Collins when he left Genesis in 1996.

BBT has, within the last year or two, joined my top 10 all-time prog bands.

Notably, the band also includes Nick D'Virgilio, former of Spock's Beard, and Rikard Sjöblom, former of Beardfish, and Dave Gregory of XTC.

Edit: Addendum.

XBenedict fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 3, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

DoubleCakes posted:

Me & Sarah Jane is one of my favorite songs of all time, and I've always loved Keep It Dark too. If it didn't fall apart after Dodo/Lurker, I'd consider Abacab among Genesis's very best albums, prog or not.

DoubleCakes posted:

I don't love their stuff initially. I have to contemplate and come back to it.

This is kinda how I've always been with Genesis too. I think the only Genesis album I totally loved the first time I heard it (and the one that really got me into Genesis to begin with) was A Trick of the Tail, which might not even be among my top 3 Genesis albums today. ...Or maybe it still is, because Entangled alone is that loving good.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 3, 2019

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

BBT is good on their own terms but as a Genesis-alike, I think they're lacking. I just don't think they have the eccentricity that made Genesis so compelling.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

DoubleCakes posted:

You should listen to what they cut out of the album. It was originally supposed to be a double album and Dodo was part of much longer suite that included the instrumentals naminamu and submarine. It would have been a much proggier album if they had included that.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

https://m.facebook.com/100000181177250/posts/2980251828657494/?notif_id=1570136183916633&notif_t=close_friend_activity&ref=notif

Robert announces dates and a rough location.

quote:

An Introduction To The Guitar Circle with Robert Fripp:
Event Dates:
Participants arrive Thursday, October 8th.
Departure on Monday, October 12, 2020.
PS These are currently outline dates.

quote:

Mike Black: Robert did extended weekends called Music For Non-Musicians, I wonder if this will ever be available again.
RF: This GC Intro is being planned to also include non-musicians; eg how to develop listening; and to establish the elements of a personal practice / discipline.
Russ Hudson: Where might interested parties find more info?
RF: We are planning to announce the final dates and location by Thanksgiving, 28th. November 2019.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 4, 2019

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Sign me up for the Abacab love!

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Abacab is great. What turned it around for me was getting the Blu-ray of that tour. If you haven’t seen it check it out. A good setlist (and a great Keep it Dark and Me and Sarah Jane).

Did this drawing as I watched it last year-
https://www.instagram.com/p/BgDDGJHhg15/?igshid=aczibblzk607. Some of Phil’s backup singers liked it so I take it to mean I am one of the masters.

The only Genesis albums I really dislike fully are And Then There Were Three. The rest have enough on them that I like even though they are full pop that they work their way in to my listening sessions. Calling All Stations doesn’t count.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

There's a multi-page discussion over at prog archives over whether King Gizzard and the Wizard Lizard are really prog :allears:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Abacab would be fine if the single worst Genesis song 'Who Dunnit?' didn't pollute it. I really don't know how that made it past a demo, let alone onto the record.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tsaedje posted:

Abacab would be fine if the single worst Genesis song 'Who Dunnit?' didn't pollute it. I really don't know how that made it past a demo, let alone onto the record.

Illegal Alien is standing behind this post, coughing politely into its fist.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Who Dunnit is utterly fascinating in all it’s terribleness. That’s something, kinda.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

hexwren posted:

Sususudio

Warthur
May 2, 2004

...isn't a Genesis song.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

and is still better than who dunnit or illegal alien anyway

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

hexwren posted:

Fortunately, Congo is about to put it out of its misery.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Rollersnake posted:

This is kinda how I've always been with Genesis too. I think the only Genesis album I totally loved the first time I heard it (and the one that really got me into Genesis to begin with) was A Trick of the Tail, which might not even be among my top 3 Genesis albums today. ...Or maybe it still is, because Entangled alone is that loving good.

I don't remember liking Trick at first. I only stuck with it because when I first got into prog it was one of the few albums I got ahold of so I just listened to it at night even though I didn't love it. It's one of my favourite albums now and that's heavily influenced by the nostalgia I have for it.

As for double-album Abacab, I had no idea that it existed and I will have to check it out. Since last posting I revisited Genesis' debut album and wow is that a different beast entirely. If it wasn't for Peter Gabriel's vocals, there's nothing about that record that reminds me of the Genesis that would follow. It's not even a bad album, just a completely different sound.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

XBenedict posted:

Fortunately, Congo is about to put it out of its misery.

thankfully, I never listened to that record

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

hexwren posted:

thankfully, I never listened to that record

I do have a soft spot for Calling All Stations. It took me a while, but I do enjoy the likes of Alien Afternoon and There Must Be Another Way. I won't say its a good album, by any means.

I do think it's a shame that Ray Wilson joined when Rutherford and Banks didn't seem to give a poo poo. I did like some of his live attempts at earlier stuff, both with Genesis and later solo

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Ginger Baker died, 80. :(

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

hexwren posted:

Illegal Alien is a catchy, but dumb pop song with unfortunate 'white guys just discovered reggae' stink on it. Who Dunnit is 3 and a half minutes that feel like an eternity of Phil repeating irritating phrases over Tony playing around with a new synth.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Tsaedje posted:

Illegal Alien is a catchy, but dumb pop song with unfortunate 'white guys just discovered reggae' stink on it. Who Dunnit is 3 and a half minutes that feel like an eternity of Phil repeating irritating phrases over Tony playing around with a new synth.

If Who Dunnit had an account in these gay dead forums, it would feature your avatar and title.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

XBenedict posted:

If Who Dunnit had an account in these gay dead forums, it would feature your avatar and title.

Agreed

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

hexwren posted:

hah I always liked this song but man do I wish it had different lyrics

what were the tracks that didn't make the cut on Abacab?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
If it's just Naminanu, Submarine, and the tracks from the 3x3 EP, they're all on the Extra Tracks disc from the 1976-1982 boxset. I forgot that Genesis released two EPs during this time, so between those and the B-sides, there's almost an hour of non-album tracks here that I've mostly never heard before.

Just started listening on the way to work today, and Paperlate feels like it could've been on Abacab instead of (or in addition to) No Reply At All. It's not a great track, but a hell of a lot better than Who Dunnit anyway.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 7, 2019

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Happy 50th to ITCOTKC

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This is from the new Flying Colors that came out last week and it is Toto AF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbhn25fUjUM

Rest of the album is good too, my only complaint is it's kind of "the first album but better". But I mean, it is better, so.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

2nd Edition -

quote:

In The Court of King Crimson : An Observation over 50 Years

Hardback

By (author)  Sid Smith

https://www.bookdepository.com/In-The-Court-of-King-Crimson/9781916153004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Rollersnake posted:

If it's just Naminanu, Submarine, and the tracks from the 3x3 EP, they're all on the Extra Tracks disc from the 1976-1982 boxset. I forgot that Genesis released two EPs during this time, so between those and the B-sides, there's almost an hour of non-album tracks here that I've mostly never heard before.

Just started listening on the way to work today, and Paperlate feels like it could've been on Abacab instead of (or in addition to) No Reply At All. It's not a great track, but a hell of a lot better than Who Dunnit anyway.

There's a youtube vid where a guy put the Dodo Suite back together with Naminamu and Submarine. I'm not sure if it's how they planned it but it gives you a good idea of what they were going for.
https://youtu.be/w4Y5OQhYt48

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 15, 2019