Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
You’ll especially be fine because you cook mozzarella while making it. You bring the milk up past 130, for a while, which means you’ll kill anything in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
I have some low fat Greek yogurt. Any ideas for recipes, and already considered tzatziki?
Any egg dishes maybe?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Do you feel like baking naan? I can find the recipe we use where yogurt is in the naan dough

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anyone have good experiences (or experiences at all) using a Jaccard meat tenderizer? Amazon replies seem to be mostly focused on the difficulty of cleaning them but not much about how well they work.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

dino. posted:

Banitsa

Dino wins!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

vuk83 posted:

I have some low fat Greek yogurt. Any ideas for recipes, and already considered tzatziki?
Any egg dishes maybe?

Labneh

E: yoghurt is also very good to marinate things with like lamb and chicken.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I lost my go-to recipe for delicious ropa vieja in the pressure cooker. Please help I need it in me.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Is all clad cookware worth it? I have a copper bottom set from costco that works fine for most things and am wondering if all clad will give me better browning when I'm pan frying chicken and steaks and whatnot.

Every review of cookware reccomends it, but when you look at the amazon reviews they are super negative. Do most people just not know how to cook and are idiots?

I cook nearly everything at home and am a pretty good cook with a wide repertoire.

Washout fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 7, 2019

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone have good experiences (or experiences at all) using a Jaccard meat tenderizer? Amazon replies seem to be mostly focused on the difficulty of cleaning them but not much about how well they work.
Do you like to buy cuts like flank or round and pan cook them without pounding them out instead? Personally I use a hammer kind of tenderizer instead or marinate it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Washout posted:

Is all clad cookware worth it? I have a copper bottom set from costco that works fine for most things and am wondering if all clad will give me better browning when I'm pan frying chicken and steaks and whatnot.

Every review of cookware reccomends it, but when you look at the amazon reviews they are super negative. Do most people just not know how to cook and are idiots?

I cook nearly everything at home and am a pretty good cook with a wide repertoire.

I'm very much not an equipment geek but IMO yes fully-clad (or tri-ply or all-clad) cookware is definitely worth the upgrade. Whether or not the brand All-Clad is worth the expense over other reputable brands (Calphalon, Tromatina, Cuisinart) is a more personal decision, though.

My Cuisinart and Calphalon stuff seems to work just as well as my All-Clad.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

spankmeister posted:

Raw milk is fine you pussies.

I made the mozzarella and then I died so I guess not!!!!!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Washout posted:

Every stainless pan review ever that I've seen on Amazon is full of people giving it negative reviews that have no loving clue how to cook on anything but a teflon skillet that they likely destroy rapidly.

That said I just have the Cuisinart multi-clad set and its all been great for what I need it for. Can't speak for All-Clad but I can't imagine it's tons better than what I've got.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I own an All-Clad and it's good but there's nothing amazing about it. I'm also one of the people who doesn't like the All-Clad handle design. If your existing stainless skillet browns fairly evenly, there's no reason to spend the money upgrading.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have a full set of All Clad D5 and it’s great, but I don’t think you’d lose anything buying Tramontina or Cuisinart multi clad pans if money is a factor.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bogart posted:

I made the mozzarella and then I died so I guess not!!!!!

Working as intended

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The visual texture of that unsettles me.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Anyone have got a favorite lasagna recipe of the ricotta type? I've been meaning to make it ever since I saw ricotta cheese is a thing we now have in stores here.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm working on getting more greens into my diet, and one approach I'm trying is smoothies.

I'm willing to keep trying out different combos of stuff and adjust bitterness with small amounts of fats & sugars if necessary, but my goal is to find combinations that I find palatable without that if possible.

Just tried my first near-random combination; spinach (which is a green I already like), banana, strawberries, raspberries. Water as the fluid.

My reaction: the raspberries were a little overpoweringly sharp in the high notes, which on its own isn't terrible, except the main body of the taste was almost absent of anything else. It was like drinking water with a bit of raspberry juice in it. As I got further down the glass the sourness really started kicking me in the throat (and I like sour) and I had to abandon it.

Other than ditching the raspberries, what other ingredients might be good for filling out the flavour and/or texture so it's not quite so watery? I have milk and other fats available, and a variety of fruits and veggies with perhaps more structure than spinach (broc, celery, cauli), and I'm fine picking up other stuff.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Looking for opinions on the best chefs out there currently. I know Guy Fieri is like god-tier here, but anyone even close?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Nurge posted:

Looking for opinions on the best chefs out there currently. I know Guy Fieri is like god-tier here, but anyone even close?

Chef Boyardee

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Sandra Lee.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Nice. I like Uncle Ben too. He makes the best rice.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Chemmy posted:

I have a full set of All Clad D5 and it’s great, but I don’t think you’d lose anything buying Tramontina or Cuisinart multi clad pans if money is a factor.

I got some copper multi clad deal like 4 years ago and they do wonderfully. That collection was basically two skillets, two sauce pans, and a stock pot along with a separate cast iron skillet + a nonstick = pretty much the entirety of my cookware on the stove.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm working on getting more greens into my diet, and one approach I'm trying is smoothies.

I'm willing to keep trying out different combos of stuff and adjust bitterness with small amounts of fats & sugars if necessary, but my goal is to find combinations that I find palatable without that if possible.

Just tried my first near-random combination; spinach (which is a green I already like), banana, strawberries, raspberries. Water as the fluid.

My reaction: the raspberries were a little overpoweringly sharp in the high notes, which on its own isn't terrible, except the main body of the taste was almost absent of anything else. It was like drinking water with a bit of raspberry juice in it. As I got further down the glass the sourness really started kicking me in the throat (and I like sour) and I had to abandon it.

Other than ditching the raspberries, what other ingredients might be good for filling out the flavour and/or texture so it's not quite so watery? I have milk and other fats available, and a variety of fruits and veggies with perhaps more structure than spinach (broc, celery, cauli), and I'm fine picking up other stuff.

I have kale, banana, carrot, and chia seeds with soy milk and a double shot of coffee as my go to morning smoothie. Spinach I find too watery, celery even more so. Instead of raspberries, good blueberries are nice for helping sweeten it but don’t carry much flavour over. Mint is nice, especially with green tea. Would always go with milk over water, and soy milk over that. If you want to branch out fruit wise pears are a good alternative to bananas that retain a good consistency/sweetness.

If you want to try something more out there, one of the best smoothies I’ve ever had was with sweet potato, no idea how they pulled that off.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nurge posted:

Paula Deen

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

amenbrotep posted:

I have kale, banana, carrot, and chia seeds with soy milk and a double shot of coffee as my go to morning smoothie. Spinach I find too watery, celery even more so. Instead of raspberries, good blueberries are nice for helping sweeten it but don’t carry much flavour over. Mint is nice, especially with green tea. Would always go with milk over water, and soy milk over that. If you want to branch out fruit wise pears are a good alternative to bananas that retain a good consistency/sweetness.

If you want to try something more out there, one of the best smoothies I’ve ever had was with sweet potato, no idea how they pulled that off.

That's helpful, thanks. I'll try normal milk to start with (as that's what I have) and if that goes well I'll look into some more adult milk-like substances.

I didn't pick up blueberries as ironically I thought they'd be too overwhelming, but I do have carrots and blackberries.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Base your smoothies with yogurt and orange juice, imo.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bogart posted:

Base your smoothies with yogurt and orange juice, imo.

I get a lot of fat and carbs (and, to a degree, protein) elsewhere in my diet so I'm trying to hold off on going whole-hog smoothie with it.

My main goal is palatable intake of everything else.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I get where you're coming from, but you may want to add a little fat into your smoothies just for emulsification reasons. This can be avocado (whole fruit or oil), coconut oil, flax oil, hemp oil, etc.

To make a long story short, most of the things you're juicing are full of fiber. Which is good, because that's why you want to have them as a smoothie, not just juice. But that fiber can make the smoothie really foamy, and then it separates out into the fiber which floats to the surface, and the juice which sinks to the bottom. Spinach, kale, any greens really, apples, pears, etc are all full of this insoluble fiber. Adding a little fat helps to keep that fiber in suspension by boosting the viscosity of the drink, so you get a smoothie instead of juice'n'clumps.

Bananas, mangoes, and other fruits that have a lot of soluble fiber also help.

For some reason using frozen fruit also helps a LOT. I was skeptical and for a few months was just like "whatever, I love fresh fruit and don't feel like prepping at night," but I was just being a dummy. Just take out what you want to blend the night before and shove it in a freezer bag and get it frozen. The smoothes are infinitely better that way.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Weltlich posted:

I get where you're coming from, but you may want to add a little fat into your smoothies just for emulsification reasons. This can be avocado (whole fruit or oil), coconut oil, flax oil, hemp oil, etc.

To make a long story short, most of the things you're juicing are full of fiber. Which is good, because that's why you want to have them as a smoothie, not just juice. But that fiber can make the smoothie really foamy, and then it separates out into the fiber which floats to the surface, and the juice which sinks to the bottom. Spinach, kale, any greens really, apples, pears, etc are all full of this insoluble fiber. Adding a little fat helps to keep that fiber in suspension by boosting the viscosity of the drink, so you get a smoothie instead of juice'n'clumps.

For some reason using frozen fruit also helps a LOT. I was skeptical and for a few months was just like "whatever, I love fresh fruit and don't feel like prepping at night," but I was just being a dummy. Just take out what you want to blend the night before and shove it in a freezer bag and get it frozen. The smoothes are infinitely better that way.

That sounds sensible, just when someone says "base [x] on" the thing that comes to mind to me is that stuff forming a large amount of it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Weltlich posted:

I just buy discounted frozen fruit/veggies if I'm ever feeling like smoothies. Stock the freezer with them and draw down as needed.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

I just buy discounted frozen fruit/veggies if I'm ever feeling like smoothies. Stock the freezer with them and draw down as needed.

This too. Often frozen fruit will be a half to a third of the price of fresh, and it'll keep as long as you need it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Orange juice and yogurt makes your smoothie tasty. You can add in soy milk or water all you want, but some portion of food must be good for your soul, or else you’re better off choking down Soylent. :colbert:

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Bogart posted:

Orange juice and yogurt makes your smoothie tasty. You can add in soy milk or water all you want, but some portion of food must be good for your soul, or else you’re better off choking down Soylent. :colbert:

My go-to smoothie is 100 grams kale, 25 grams cilantro, 1 serrano, 1 banana, 12 grams ground flax, 12 grams ground chia seeds, juice of 1 lime, 140g of frozen mango/pineapple/papaya/(whatever was in the bruised/discount pile and is tropical)and 100g of coconut water. And it's delicious! Sometimes I swap the Serrano and cilantro out for a few mint leaves and spinach.

I dream of having another chest freezer to fill with stuff including prepped out smoothies

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Nurge posted:

The Frugal Gourmet is a classic

:pedo:

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

His Divine Shadow posted:

Anyone have got a favorite lasagna recipe of the ricotta type? I've been meaning to make it ever since I saw ricotta cheese is a thing we now have in stores here.

Well, mine is probably non-canonical in some ways, but it uses homemade noodles and sauce, and I've been making it for decades and people always like it, so here goes.

I looked back ITT and oddly people don't seem to post actual recipes very much, but I guess they can scroll past if they want to!

Lasagna:

Noodles:

1-3/4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 large eggs, beaten

Sift flour with salt and baking powder. Make a well in the center, add eggs, coax flour into the eggs, and fold until thoroughly blended. Gather into a claggy dough and knead on a floured board just until smooth. (A bench knife is helpful at the start.) Roll very thin (1 to 2 mm), keeping as rectangular as is possible, on floured board; let rest for 20 minutes. Cut into strips 3 inches wide and about 11 inches long. Toss gently to separate the noodles from each other, and allow to dry on a floured muslin towel for 3 to 4 hours. (Top with another muslin if you'll be leaving them for longer.)

Sauce:

10 cups canned crushed tomatoes
2/3 cup tomato paste
1 large onion, chopped fine
3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon salt
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp dried basil
2 tablespoons snipped parsley
2 cups water (use less if crushed tomatoes have a lot of juice)

Sauté onion and garlic in oil. Add tomato paste and continue sautéing. Add crushed tomatoes, salt, water, and fennel seeds. Simmer uncovered, stirring often, for one hour or until nicely thickened. Add basil and parsley.

(Note, if you want to add meat to this recipe, you could brown it and add it to the sauce before the final simmer.)

Cheese:

3 lbs ricotta
4 eggs
¼ cup snipped parsley
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 tablespoon salt
2 tsp or more black pepper (adjust as desired)
2 tsp or more cayenne
1 lb mozzarella, shredded
1 cup Romano or parmesan, shredded

Keep mozzarella and Romano separate. About two hours before you want to serve, mix ricotta, eggs, herbs, and spices.

Assembly and baking:

1. Cook noodles in simmering well salted water until toothsome. Quench each one quickly in ice water. Hang cooked noodles over edge of pasta basket to drain so that they don’t stick together.
2. Layer in large flat pan, oiled (mine is 14x10x3 inches), beginning with sauce, then noodles, then ricotta, then mozzarella, lastly parmesan. Repeat layering until pan is nearly full, ending with mozzarella and parmesan on top.
3. Bake in 400 F oven for one hour, then let rest on top of stove for 15-30 minutes to set for cutting. Garnish with extra snipped parsley if desired.

Note that the proportions for the sauce can be adjusted to your preference, there's nothing magic about them. You can add an extra onion, more fennel, or change up the spices if you wish. The fennel seed does give a good umami kick, so it's good to have it in there.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bogart posted:

While it would be ideal to have a good balance of good for the body and good for the soul in each meal, that's currently not the life I'm working with. Good for the body is my priority with these things, good enough to not actively harm my soul is an acceptable minimum.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Fair. Good hunting, friendo. :shobon:

Also I will post a butternut squash lasagna recipe I’m very fond of when I’m off work.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

This looks delightful, and very close to a recipe I've been using for years. The layering is a little different, but looks great. I'll give it a go in a few weeks.

Bogart posted:

Also I will post a butternut squash lasagna recipe I’m very fond of when I’m off work.

Please do. I was contemplating that the other night. I've used carrot and zucchini as noodle subs before to varying results (carrot works way better), but I was commenting to my wife that I wanted to try butternut squash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I guess if you get the texture right, there's no reason not to butternut squash all the things? Shakshuka? Ragu?