Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is the commander in chief stuff enshrined in the constitution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SchrodingersCat posted:

I imagine Mitch McConnell could stroll into Trump's office and tell him they are going to fast track an impeachment trial and have him out by Friday unless Trump walks this back, but Mitch McConnell has no soul.

Right, but the Senate doesn't actually have any power to force the president to alter a military decision. Their recourse here is limited to "we will remove you from office."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Forgive my ignorance, but they didn't subpoena Trump directly for the tax returns, just the accounting firm he used. Wouldn't that change the calculus on whether they could (or in this case, could not) ignore it?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

CornHolio posted:

This Syria thing is to distract everybody from the impeachment proceedings, isn't it?

LMAO if you still think Trump is some kind of tactically savvy puppetmaster.

He's a slobbering moron flopping around randomly.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CHEF!!! posted:

poo poo like this makes me wonder about what to do if the DOJ, conveniently enough, refuses to enforce a SCOTUS ruling when they hopefully uphold the decision and tell Trump to hand over his tax returns.

this is not a federal case so i would hope the DOJ does not do anything related to enforcement, it is not their job

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

ThanosWasRight posted:

Is the commander in chief stuff enshrined in the constitution?

Yes.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

skylined! posted:

He tweeted it with no notice to the Pentagon and no likely conference with anyone outside his very tiny circle so I'd wager that the decision to do this is somehow uniquely self serving and nothing else.

Like, it's more likely that Erdogan promised trump a real good rate on a lease extension for his lovely hotel in Turkey in exchange for this then it is that he's cooked up some sort of elaborate plan to distract us from his never-ending crime spree.

What are the chances that it isn't the tower but is something like Turkey having a transcript similar to the Ukraine call and saying "boy it'd be real bad timing if that got released now."

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Jealous Cow posted:

I wonder how many words were between “that’s a nice tower you’ve got here in Istanbul, shame if something happened to it” and “we want you to let us invade Kurdish Syria”

"I would like you to do us a favor, though."

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

alpha_destroy posted:

What are the chances that it isn't the tower but is something like Turkey having a transcript similar to the Ukraine call and saying "boy it'd be real bad timing if that got released now."

Most likely is still that he's a big wet moron who did a thing because he thought that if Turkey didn't invade, Kurdistan would send over the IS prisoners (who are not their best).

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Timmy Age 6 posted:

"I would like you to do us a favor, though."

This is what nations do, I'll give you X you give me Y

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

alpha_destroy posted:

Who knows! All bets are off because the senate is aiding the obfuscation of accountability of the executive. It's really a Choose Your Own Adventure of our thinly-veiled democracy disintegrating into an autocratic regime before our eyes!

eke out posted:

this is not a federal case so i would hope the DOJ does not do anything related to enforcement, it is not their job

Ye per the NYT piece the DOJ is not absent from trying to gently caress with this decision and case, however they don't have jurisdiction:

quote:

The Justice Department, led by Attorney General William P. Barr, did not say whether it agreed with Mr. Trump’s position that presidents cannot be investigated. But, citing the constitutional questions, the department said it wanted to provide its views.

The Constitution does not explicitly say whether presidents can be charged with a crime while in office, and the Supreme Court has not answered the question.

Federal prosecutors are barred from charging a sitting president with a crime because the Justice Department has decided that presidents have temporary immunity while they are in office.

But in the past, that position has not precluded investigating a president. Presidents, including Mr. Trump, have been subjects of federal criminal investigations while in office. Local prosecutors, such as Mr. Vance, are also not bound by the Justice Department’s position.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Josiensor/status/1181122290576166912
https://twitter.com/Josiensor/status/1181127078097424384
https://twitter.com/RudawEnglish/status/1181180298328989697?s=20

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012
The Kurds just need to announce they're investigating Biden and Trump and the thread shitposters will suddenly care a great deal about their well-being.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Sekhmnet posted:

For the Kurds? -666

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CHEF!!! posted:

Or maybe that accounting firm throws up their hands and goes "gently caress this, we're done with this shitshow" and releases them.

It's going to be this. The tax returns are not under Trump's personal control, in his office in a safe that only he has the key to, behind a moat filled with alligators and a loyal force of bodyguards. There are many links in the chain of custody for tax returns (especially big complicated corporate or rich-personal tax returns) and most of them don't have the protections of being president or even part of the executive branch. Someone is going to obey the court order.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

NY judge fires a shot across the DOJ/OLC's bow.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1181203009239470080

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

Right, but the Senate doesn't actually have any power to force the president to alter a military decision. Their recourse here is limited to "we will remove you from office."

That's why I said it doesn't work because Mitch McConnell has no soul.

This decision is terrible, one of the worst in US history, not just in Trump's time in office. If Mitch McConnell was a human being and not a manifestation of the grim reaper he'd be on a group call with Trump and Pelosi right now telling Trump he's hosed three ways from Sunday if this isn't walked back

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Already appealed

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1181200431025967106

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
In 12 months we'll get some sort of bombshell recording of someone in the "Turkish Government" calling Trump at 9:30 PM on Sunday, October 6th, promising him dirt on his political opponents and avoidance of impeachment if he just lets them commit genocide. Trump falls for it hook, line, and sinker, and the "government official" will never make good with his promise. It's the only way to end the Stupidest Timeline.

Edit: Turkish not Kurdish jesus I'm a moron

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

"we'll remove you from office if you don't listen to us" is quite a lot of power to force a president to alter a military decision. in fact it is the paradigmatic way one can force someone to alter a decision they have made in their job: threatening to fire them if they do not.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I do find it a bit concerning that Republicans treat anything put in place to ensure good governance as an anti-republican conspiracy.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004

Ripoff posted:

In 12 months we'll get some sort of bombshell recording of someone in the "Turkish Government" calling Trump at 9:30 PM on Sunday, October 6th, promising him dirt on his political opponents and avoidance of impeachment if he just lets them commit genocide. Trump falls for it hook, line, and sinker, and the "government official" will never make good with his promise. It's the only way to end the Stupidest Timeline.

Edit: Turkish not Kurdish jesus I'm a moron

Trump can’t do anything for anyone else without some direct personal gain. He’s so used to scamming people that the thought of a deal where he doesn’t personally get something is foreign to him.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

It's so weird that a congressman would express support more openly for Ukraine after, *checks notes*, they were invaded by Russia.

poo poo, why did they leave that information out, that seems critical.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tuff Scrote posted:

Trump can’t do anything for anyone else without some direct personal gain. He’s so used to scamming people that the thought of a deal where he doesn’t personally get something is foreign to him.
Yes and as we have seen with Venezuela and NK he gets bored very easily

Although I do find it weird that he apparently unilaterally decided to approve this move of troops without notifying the Pentagon. That’s very odd.

This is dumb in all ways because even his supporters in Congress are against it and he needs them more now than ever

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

eke out posted:

"just doing nothing" is not actually an option, by the way, when faced with grand jury subpoenas from a prosecutor's office.

Why not?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

unlike Congress, the State of New York actually has quite a few jails and prisons

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah the problem with Syria is that it was suffering from a critical lack of US ordinance falling from the sky.

Some more humanitarian bombings and it would be a success story like Libya.

Successful defined from the point of view of slave market operators of course

DAE hate US imperialism SO much? Those Kurds can just get genocided . :smug:

Go gently caress yourself

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the subpoenas are directed at trump's accountants, who aren't willing to go to jail for him

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

LMAO, noted news source Patriot Lifelover.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1181207822039683079

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

eke out posted:

unlike Congress, the State of New York actually has quite a few jails and prisons

doesnt congress have the Capitol police HQ

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

eke out posted:

Wanna see them convert the Capitol crypt into the Donald J. Trump Memorial Inherent Contempt Detention Center though.

Especially because the statue of noted traitor Robert E. Lee is down there, and we all know how much this administration loves statues of that guy.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

evilweasel posted:

the subpoenas are directed at trump's accountants, who aren't willing to go to jail for him

Gotta be honest I'm not super convinced

That they're actually gonna go to jail for this if they just say no

Has anyone at all in the Trump circle gone to jail for refusing a subpoena yet? Is that really an outcome they're going to think likely?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/QuakerNana/status/1181209820956942337?s=20

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

You know, as much as he fights this I'd swear he's trying to hide something

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

Has anyone at all in the Trump circle gone to jail for refusing a subpoena yet? Is that really an outcome they're going to think likely?

they're an accounting firm. they're not part of "trump's circle." they do his accounting, for payment (which, presumably, is slashed at random because it's Trump). they have other clients, and would like to continue doing business in new york, which is worth far more to them than the money they receive from trump.

why in gods' name would they go to jail for him? what's in it for them? they're not part of the republican party with a vested interest in trump's success so they too get power, they just do accounting. also iirc Mazars agreed to collect all the documents while this was litigated so they could turn them over asap if trump lost.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Mueller and SDNY both have already have gotten these tax returns. Mazars is a multinational company whose officers are not in the business of refusing court orders to protect only moderately-rich people.

efb

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

This BS is reason #342 why our system isn't robust enough to handle someone like trump being in the position he is in. He is still able to pull moves like this with our military even when all signs point to him being corrupt as gently caress.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The trend of increases starts in 2014 and has flattened slightly since the tax law passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Presumably the judge can hold them in contempt and fine them an amount commensurate with their assets in order to compel them to hand over the goods or go broke real fast.