Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Weatherman posted:

Should I pick the range I want? Or just pick the lowest (comedy) option to force them to have no real idea of my expectation? Or something else? I'm really not sure what the best move is here.
My current job had almost that exact same thing on the application. I picked 120-140k, but never gave a number after that (the HR guy definitely referenced it, though, so my selection did not go unnoticed). Ended up with an 8% base bump over old job plus a good signing bonus and I’m liking the job okay so far! So uh... yeah, it’s lame but I dunno, I feel like I’m pleased with how it worked out for me. It sounds like you think it’d be a good arrangement, so I say pick one that’s putting a strong foot forward from a negotiating standpoint and hope they call you back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I assume since you're even asking the question, rather than laughing and closing the tab, that you're fairly desperate to find a job in that country?

Just take the minimum you would actually accept and add $20K, don't overthink it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Whenever I saw that question I put $0 or picked the lowest option and put an appropriate comment someplace. In the state of CA, this question might not even be allowed.

Good luck Weatherman! Keep us updated.

In other news, I was able to say to someone this week, with a straight face, that I am looking for my first seven figure year. Played chicken, didn’t blink, the other guy didn’t blink back. This was a VC type scenario, so my assumption is that nothing will actually happen.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Question for negotiation goons. The OP seems to only cover negotiating when interviewing and not during the normal course of a job. I am reaching my 90-day review at this company. In this three months, multiple new responsibilities have been added to my workload that were not discussed or even existed during the interviewing process. As a result, I plan on discussing compensation during this performance review. I am being asked to fill out an "employee comments" form prior to this review. It includes questions like "what are your strengths? how can the company better utilize them? what do you need to improve on? what goals would you like to achieve before your next review?" At the end is an additional comments/questions/concerns section. Should I wait to broach the subject of compensation until the day of or is it better to mention that I am seeking to discuss compensation in this pre-review?

My only worry is that my review is held with someone who may not have the authorization to actually negotiate a raise during the review and will come prepared with a number that they read off of a sheet that was given to them. I like my work and I have enjoyed working for this company so far. That being said, I am willing to walk away if are unable to come to some kind of compromise. This is my first ever full-time job in a corporate environment and while the company is small (our office has less than 20 people), I don't really know what is and isn't proper etiquette or what could be considered showing my hand.

barnold fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 4, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
at least at my company we have regular reviews, which tell you how you are performing, and then an annual review that is an aggregate of your regular performance reviews, at which your compensation is determined. if you were to bring up your compensation at the regular review, it would be a bit odd - but this is because everyone is aware of the appropriate time to bring up compensation. really what you should be doing is talking about how you are exceeding expectations for your level and what you need to do to make it to the next level or whatever in those regular reviews.

however, this is strat consulting so take with a grain of salt. probably does not apply to real jobs.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

at least at my company we have regular reviews, which tell you how you are performing, and then an annual review that is an aggregate of your regular performance reviews, at which your compensation is determined. if you were to bring up your compensation at the regular review, it would be a bit odd - but this is because everyone is aware of the appropriate time to bring up compensation. really what you should be doing is talking about how you are exceeding expectations for your level and what you need to do to make it to the next level or whatever in those regular reviews.

however, this is strat consulting so take with a grain of salt. probably does not apply to real jobs.

I am currently making $14/hr to start and I anticipate a $1-2/hr raise based on the completion of the probationary period and what I have gathered from overhearing others in the office. Had I known the full scope of my current responsibilities, I doubt I would have accepted the original offer and would have negotiated a higher starting amount right off the bat. I work simultaneously as a copyeditor and a video editor. Most jobs of this type in my area make $22-24/hr minimum. Not sure if any of this information is particularly relevant.

Despite that, I would consider $18/hr to be suitable compensation for me in my current role as I think that staying with this company for a little while could significantly improve future job prospects. I know that you both 1) never say a number and 2) never make the first offer, but beyond that I'm just not sure how to appropriately handle this situation because I don't think I'm keen on sticking around if they're just going to give me $15/hr til my next review a year from now. I already plan on pointing out my increased responsibilities, the speed at which I have been expected to take on these responsibilities. I am also expected to perform at a level that withstands external legal scrutiny, so I think I am very well armed to negotiate a raise in that regard.

barnold fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 4, 2019

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
If other similar jobs are paying 22-24 why not go do one of those? Is there something particular about this current one that you think will help your future career more than those?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

I am currently making $14/hr to start and I anticipate a $1-2/hr raise based on the completion of the probationary period and what I have gathered from overhearing others in the office. Had I known the full scope of my current responsibilities, I doubt I would have accepted the original offer and would have negotiated a higher starting amount right off the bat. I work simultaneously as a copyeditor and a video editor. Most jobs of this type in my area make $22-24/hr minimum. Not sure if any of this information is particularly relevant.

Despite that, I would consider $18/hr to be suitable compensation for me in my current role as I think that staying with this company for a little while could significantly improve future job prospects. I know that you both 1) never say a number and 2) never make the first offer, but beyond that I'm just not sure how to appropriately handle this situation because I don't think I'm keen on sticking around if they're just going to give me $15/hr til my next review a year from now.

Let's put this hypothetically. What would you do if they did not give you this raise? Your boss just says "no" and there's no further discussion. Would you stay with the company?

If so, you have no leverage because you have no viable alternatives. The only way to avoid this is to have an alternative that you would realistically take.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

bamhand posted:

If other similar jobs are paying 22-24 why not go do one of those? Is there something particular about this current one that you think will help your future career more than those?

The benefit package and commute are excellent, imo worth sacrificing a few dollars per hour to not sit in daily traffic hell. Similar jobs may or may not hire me based on my current experience (or full-time lack thereof) and I'm not so sure a three month non-temporary occupation on my resume would hold up so great in a future interview. Also there's a ping-pong table and I loving love ping-pong. Ping-pong isn't enough to keep me here, but I do like the office atmosphere so far and it would be kind of a bummer to sell my soul to a worse place for the extra $4/hr. Trying to strike a balance here

interrodactyl posted:

Let's put this hypothetically. What would you do if they did not give you this raise? Your boss just says "no" and there's no further discussion. Would you stay with the company?

No. I would graciously accept unemployment and begin the interviewing process

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I would say just outline your responsibilities, give examples where you've done a good job and say based on your research you think you should be paid XYZ. Then start looking for a job if they don't agree.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The benefit package and commute are excellent, imo worth sacrificing a few dollars per hour to not sit in daily traffic hell. Similar jobs may or may not hire me based on my current experience (or full-time lack thereof) and I'm not so sure a three month non-temporary occupation on my resume would hold up so great in a future interview. Also there's a ping-pong table and I loving love ping-pong. Ping-pong isn't enough to keep me here, but I do like the office atmosphere so far and it would be kind of a bummer to sell my soul to a worse place for the extra $4/hr. Trying to strike a balance here

$4/hr is $8320/yr

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

stuffed crust punk posted:

$4/hr is $8320/yr

Sorry, yes, that's why I plan on asking for the $4/hr raise currently. I was only trying to describe why I would prefer to stay here rather than go 100% hardball on them. I'm probably not doing the greatest job maintaining context here, if there are things I could say/provide that would help in any advice-giving I'd be glad to write up a longer, better post in a little while if that would help

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Then why haven't you already started the interviewing process?

I forget who I'm paraphrasing from long ago in this thread, but without a viable BATNA what you're describing isn't negotiating. It's you asking for a favor and them deciding to grant it or not, with no apparent downside from their perspective to saying no.

If you've only been there 3 months then absent some unusual context I'm inclined to say you need to just stick it out until about the 18 month mark and then get to work on finding your next job.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

In that case, you should start interviewing yesterday.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Okay, I am home now. I think I did an exceptionally poor job of describing my situation for the sake of the question I was asking, so now that I've had a couple hours to really break it all down in my head for this thread. Plus, you've all asked some good questions that have made it easier for me to figure out what is pertinent for the sake of what I'm looking for.

This is a very specialized editing position. I am one of three people at the company who do what I do. When I applied, interviewed, and was hired, I was looking for entry-level work and this particular job checked all the boxes. Edit video in the morning, edit written reports after that, ship completed cases out to clients in the afternoon, and go home. The workload varies day to day but in general is fairly consistent and there is always something that can be done. It's a small office in a decent location and I have enjoyed working with my co-workers, who are all relatively young and therefore share a lot of similar interests, hobbies, etc etc. Not that this particularly matters, but it's at least marginally better than work I have done before and what I prepared myself for when studying in college for a media-based gig.

Over the past month or so, three completely different types of report have been taken away from the purview of the employees who originally handled them and were delegated to us. This adds a decent amount of work to our list and required us to learn a whole lot more about a bunch of different things in order to do the job well. The content we package routinely ends up in front of lawyers or in court and clients rely on us to ship media that holds up to legal scrutiny. Since we edit, review, invoice, and ship this content, this now requires us to be significantly more accurate in our editing than before since an extra step of the review process has been removed entirely. Also, I have heard rumblings that even some aspects of accounts receivable, which you'd expect to be handled by finance, will be trickled down to us in the future as well.

When I was hired, I understood that I would have a 90-day probationary period and then become a regular employee and receive a raise at that time. From that point on, reviews are conducted annually and compensation adjusted appropriately at that time. Since then, I have heard that employees even a single paygrade above mine typically expect a $1-$2 raise at their reviews. I don't know for sure what mine will look like, and my review is scheduled for a couple weeks from now.

I believe that the added responsibilities, combined with the standard of quality expected of us by management as well as by discerning clients, means that the job is no longer the entry-level position I originally applied for. This is probably pretty typical of office-based gigs, I know. Management is always trying to make people do more for less and everyone knows that.

However, I kind of like this job, and while I don't like it enough to not be able to quit, I definitely deserve more than the $14/hr I currently make. But the fact that I like it means I'm not trying to poo poo in anybody's cornflakes, and I'm willing to see the review out just to see what they offer me. That being said, I'm doing pretty alright and have no immediate need to have a job lined up for the day I walk out on this one. I have enough in savings (thanks to previous family tragedy) to coast for the foreseeable future. Hopefully this explains why I have not been interviewing this entire time, because otherwise I'm sure I would have.

I want to see what they offer me for a raise and if it's not enough, counter it. If they're unable to reach a compromise with me on compensation, I'm prepared to walk away. This would be at a serious detriment to the company, because they have invested a lot of time in training me. They would have to task at least two people with constantly monitoring their work before it went out due to the new tasks. This is not really the kind of job that any comm major could walk into and pick up right away, and it would probably take them at least 2 months to get a replacement that would begin performing at the standard expected of my position, during which time it would probably be absolute hell for the two remaining employees in my area due to the workload expected of them. I can work largely independently, but only because I had two months to get really, really good at the stuff I was doing before and can learn the new things on the fly. Productivity would imaginably decrease by a tangible amount and the resources necessary to both hire and train a replacement would further detract from those things because the office is so small. This hopefully explains why I believe I have the upper hand when it comes to this BATNA thing I am learning about here.

The "pre-review comments form" is what threw me for a loop, because I'm not sure if they're expecting me to explicitly mention that I would like to discuss compensation during this meeting. The way it's written seems to lean in that direction, but I'd rather not telegraph my moves and instead, walk in there with a list full of reasons I deserve to make $18/hr and let them respond however they like. With all that being said now, let me try to re-answer a couple questions:

bamhand posted:

I didn't know I was getting myself into a $14/hr position with $22/hr responsibilities, and for two months, I wasn't in that position at all. Most jobs with these kinds of responsibilities typically ask for at least a full year's worth of experience working full-time in the field. I'm not so sure I have a pretty enough resume to make recruiters at these companies give me a second look, which is why ideally I'd like to hang here for a year and then go elsewhere. That was my original plan - work at this place for a year, then leverage the experience to do something bigger and better. I'm just not particularly willing to do what they're asking if they're gonna give me an extra dollar and only pay me $15/hr for it.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Then why haven't you already started the interviewing process?

Admittedly, it's because I've just been a little lazy. Without an absolutely urgent need to have that extra money, I haven't felt obligated to continue interviewing at places past being hired at this one. I was anticipating my raise to coincide with the same responsibilities that were expected of me when I was hired. I did update my resume shortly after being hired, and I am fully prepared to begin slinging that bastard out there at pretty much any time.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you've only been there 3 months then absent some unusual context I'm inclined to say you need to just stick it out until about the 18 month mark and then get to work on finding your next job.

This is very fair. I might consider doing this anyway, barring a total collapse of my personal life that would necessitate an immediate exit.

Anyway I don't know if any of this makes sense or not because literally none of my previous jobs have been in a corporate or office environment. This wasn't the job I expected to have after graduating and honestly, I had no idea this kind of job even existed. I've enjoyed it so far and continue to enjoy it, I just want to get paid what I deserve. Also due to the added responsibilities I literally now have three different supervisors who (occasionally) vet my work and it's like that loving scene from Office Space where he's got three managers come by his desk to tell him he hosed up. It makes me laugh.

barnold fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 4, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
have you read a fair amount of the thread? you seem to be a bit naive on how the negotiation process works without a BATNA. you're not negotiating, you're begging.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If he really has money enough to actually not need a job then his BATNA ("Pay me what I'm worth or I'm gone right now") is pretty strong, but with a couple standard caveats:

(1) It ends up just like the "company matches a competitor's offer" scenario: they pay the employee what he wants as a temporary measure to buy time to arrange a cheaper transition and fire him 3-6 months later, when they're ready.

(2) Quitting a job after 3 months and just being unemployed indefinitely looks really bad on a resume, and also will likely cause a "no, this employee is not eligible for re-hire" black mark, and you shouldn't do it unless you actually have savings enough to never have to work for life, which is very unlikely.

In actual practice it sounds like OP is pretty content with his job and will stay a while at his current pay when he asks for a raise and his employer says no.

IMO assuming you actually need a career long term OP, my opinion is unchanged that you should just stick it out for ~18 months and then find your next job. What you're about to find out is that the only reliable way to get a raise of more than 3% is to go to a new employer.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you seem to be a bit naive on how the negotiation process works without a BATNA.

Oh, absolutely, I am a total shithead, I genuinely apologize if I am coming off as though I am pretending to know anything about this. I would not have effortposted like that were I under any delusion that I had a good grasp on this thing. I read the first ~12 or so pages of the thread (and I am reading more now), but it was all people who were negotiating between multiple job offers and so without the relevant background info on how these kinds of things work, I don't think I was really understanding a whole lot. What I did find particularly useful, though, was this post on page 7 and its replies:

paradigmblue posted:

I want to take on the new role, but I don't want to be put in a position where I'm taking on a lot of additional work and responsibility while not receiving any compensation for that extra work....I'm really unsure on how to proceed, and I could use a hand.

My situation is naturally a little less significant than that one, but the general concept appeared to be the same.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If he really has money enough to actually not need a job then his BATNA ("Pay me what I'm worth or I'm gone right now") is pretty strong

Could I go unemployed for 5+ years? Probably. Could I go unemployed indefinitely? Probably not, at least not while living in New England I don't think, what with the cost of living not going down any time soon. Having a job takes my mind off of bad things and also helps me not feel like such a piece of poo poo all the time. I'd just prefer to have a career somewhat relevant to my skills as opposed to being an aimless Paul Blart walking around the mall four days a week like I did before. That job suuuuuuucked.

quote:

IMO assuming you actually need a career long term OP, my opinion is unchanged that you should just stick it out for ~18 months and then find your next job. What you're about to find out is that the only reliable way to get a raise of more than 3% is to go to a new employer.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice/insight. I will definitely consider this.

barnold fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 5, 2019

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

I'm prepared to walk away. This would be at a serious detriment to the company, because they have invested a lot of time in training me. They would have to task at least two people with constantly monitoring their work before it went out due to the new tasks ... it would probably take them at least 2 months to get a replacement that would begin performing at the standard expected of my position, during which time it would probably be absolute hell for the two remaining employees in my area due to the workload expected of them.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but dollars to donuts you'll end up being one of those two left behind at some point in your career. The company dgaf about forcing you to cover someone's workload "just until we hire someone to replace them real soon I promise".

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

spf3million posted:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but dollars to donuts you'll end up being one of those two left behind at some point in your career. The company dgaf about forcing you to cover someone's workload "just until we hire someone to replace them real soon I promise".

I certainly don't doubt this either, with the only caveat being that the inability to complete work on time would likely affect the company's relationship with its clients. Clients in this industry don't seem to give a gently caress either - they could easily go to a vendor panel and skip us entirely. And a lot of them do, actually, it's like pulling teeth for the salespeople to get even a single client to cut out the panels. If we don't come through with the results, that's just another name to go on the "do not send cases" list. So I think the position has at least a minor value to the company, and their hands would definitely be tied in the sense that they wouldn't be able to wrangle 1 of the 2 into the boss' room to say "hey you're not making the grade so you're fired" and then have two replacements to find.

E: Talked to a few other people tonight and the consensus seems to be see if they'll offer a raise and highlight the added responsibilities being taken on. If they don't offer a raise at all, consider walking or at least interviewing, if they offer a dollar or two more I'll stick out the year or at least until I really REALLY don't like it anymore.

barnold fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 5, 2019

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

spf3million posted:

Especially if it's a small company like he says. I once worked for an office of ~40 people and we lost our shipping and receiving clerk (there was only one). They had one of our buyers (of which there were only 3) add the entirety of that clerk's mostly physical job to the tasks he had already, effectively making him do the entirety of two completely different jobs (one computer-based and one manual labor) for about a year until they found someone else.

When "merit increase" time came in the middle of that year, he got the same 2-4% raise that everyone else in the company gets and nothing more.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

m0therfux0r posted:

Especially if it's a small company like he says. I once worked for an office of ~40 people and we lost our shipping and receiving clerk (there was only one). They had one of our buyers (of which there were only 3) add the entirety of that clerk's mostly physical job to the tasks he had already, effectively making him do the entirety of two completely different jobs (one computer-based and one manual labor) for about a year until they found someone else.

When "merit increase" time came in the middle of that year, he got the same 2-4% raise that everyone else in the company gets and nothing more.

And handed in his two weeks' notice a few days later, right? Right??

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

I certainly don't doubt this either, with the only caveat being that the inability to complete work on time would likely affect the company's relationship with its clients. Clients in this industry don't seem to give a gently caress either - they could easily go to a vendor panel and skip us entirely. And a lot of them do, actually, it's like pulling teeth for the salespeople to get even a single client to cut out the panels. If we don't come through with the results, that's just another name to go on the "do not send cases" list. So I think the position has at least a minor value to the company, and their hands would definitely be tied in the sense that they wouldn't be able to wrangle 1 of the 2 into the boss' room to say "hey you're not making the grade so you're fired" and then have two replacements to find.

E: Talked to a few other people tonight and the consensus seems to be see if they'll offer a raise and highlight the added responsibilities being taken on. If they don't offer a raise at all, consider walking or at least interviewing, if they offer a dollar or two more I'll stick out the year or at least until I really REALLY don't like it anymore.

I think the most important thing you could do right now is start budgeting money for your much needed spine transplant.

I read the first ~12 or so pages of the thread (and I am reading more now), but it was all people who were negotiating between multiple job offers and so without the relevant background info on how these kinds of things work

These people didn't magically have multiple job offers land in their laps. They looked at job listings and did work to put themselves in a position with leverage, and then they used that leverage after having put themselves in an advantageous situation. You're very intently set on trying to figure out some way to convince your employers that they need to pay you more based on what you've done working for them. This is foolish for two reasons:

- Your employers think you are replaceable. Even if you aren't replaceable (you are), and they have an encyclopedic demonstration of your essential worth in their enterprise such that if you gave notice they would immediately have to shutter their business, they would still think you are replaceable. That's because they understand that if they don't think this, then you'll take them to the cleaners. If someone in your management chain has some sort of inkling that you are not replaceable? They still won't ever give you a whiff of that idea.
- Given this, you need other job offers to compel their good behavior. You need these other job offers to give you the confidence to demand the things you deserve, and you need these other job offers to go immediately accept when they do not meet your demands.

Of course, you're not going to accept this advice, because interviewing is uncomfortable and actually switching jobs is really uncomfortable and worst of all you might go on multiple interviews and find out that what they're paying you is what everyone else is willing to pay you.

So here's how things actually shake out for you on the path you're on:

You will grovel for a raise and will not get it, or will get an insultingly inadequate one. This will light a fire under your rear end to actually go out and interview like those jerks on the internet said. You will get an offer for $6/hr more than you are making now and will not accept it. You will take the offer and hand your only extant copy to your employer and demand a raise. They will comply and you will get a $6/hr raise. Your team will grow with a new member who is marginally experienced. Your responsibilities will be expanded to include training up this new person who makes $8/hr less than you. When this person gets comparable to your professional responsibilities, you will be fired with no notice and no severance pay. You will not be able to accept the offer that originally got you the raise because they went and hired someone else.

You've been posting like your situation is somehow special and different from the people who have posted success stories here. The only thing that's different is that your reading comprehension sucks.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

He still has no leverage but if it is customary for a raise at the end of the probation period he can at least point to the additional responsibilities and ask for more money.

quote:

When I was hired, I understood that I would have a 90-day probationary period and then become a regular employee and receive a raise at that time. From that point on, reviews are conducted annually and compensation adjusted appropriately at that time. Since then, I have heard that employees even a single paygrade above mine typically expect a $1-$2 raise at their reviews. I don't know for sure what mine will look like, and my review is scheduled for a couple weeks from now.

He really should want to make this review go well. Highlight the good work completed, additional responsibilities, etc. He probably will be stuck with whatever raise they want to give him (if any). He at least has a forum for discussion.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
What you really want is the best title you can get out of the review because it's going to influence the amount you get paid at the next place.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Thanks thread. I never said a number and ended up with a poo poo load more money than my current company and some extra PTO added in.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

You will grovel for a raise and will not get it, or will get an insultingly inadequate one. This will light a fire under your rear end to actually go out and interview like those jerks on the internet said. You will get an offer for $6/hr more than you are making now and will not accept it. You will take the offer and hand your only extant copy to your employer and demand a raise. They will comply and you will get a $6/hr raise. Your team will grow with a new member who is marginally experienced. Your responsibilities will be expanded to include training up this new person who makes $8/hr less than you. When this person gets comparable to your professional responsibilities, you will be fired with no notice and no severance pay. You will not be able to accept the offer that originally got you the raise because they went and hired someone else.
pls stop doxxing me

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

You've been posting like your situation is somehow special and different from the people who have posted success stories here. The only thing that's different is that your reading comprehension sucks.
It takes a lot for Dwight to get riled up in this thread, and he's probably responsible for goons cumulatively making $1,000,000 more/year. But this the straight up honest truth. TT Tom, you're not going to get what you're worth because people want to be fair. You're going to get it if you go out and take it. gently caress you, pay me.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Got my current job to increase my salary by ~20%, also requested a change of my status (there are legally mandated "levels") and my boss said he doesn't think it applies to me. Showed him the definitions and he didn't have much argument left, but still said he wasn't really sure he could change it and he wanted to take a week to consider it.
Did I do well not taking the offer of the higher level's salary without the actual change, or should I just have taken the money? The only real perk to being in the higher tier is a large (legally mandated) salary increase in 4 years. He clearly indicated we would sign the papers on the salary increase immediately if I dropped the level change request. I know no one else in my company is in the higher level, only managers are in there at the moment. But by definition it applies to specialized technicians as well.

Anyway, if he decides that it's a no go, I'll just take the money and negotiate the increase in 4 years I guess.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

Anyway, if he decides that it's a no go, I'll just take the money and negotiate the increase in 4 yearswith a different employer I guess.

A Better Plan

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
honestly I'm starting to feel like responding to people who obstinately refuse to leave their employer should become a probationable offense in this thread :v:

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
Yeah why would you wait 4 years to see what might happen? Take the money now and keep looking for new jobs. You'll find one sooner than 4 years unless you live in an area that has literally one company in a 100-mile radius (which is probably a thing that doesn't exist).

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
The increase is a 800€ paybump after 4 years in addition to the raise I'm getting now you guys

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

The increase is a 800€ paybump after 4 years in addition to the raise I'm getting now you guys
So wait why would you wait 4 years for such a lovely rear end bump?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pretty sure he means 800 per week = 40,000 per year.

Of course he doesn't seem to (want to) understand that an increase of even like 25,000 per year now is far, far better than a maybe-possibly increase of 40,000 per year in four years.

Things are probably different in Europe though, I don't know.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What is the downside of looking for a job with a higher salary now and if you get one, taking it without having to wait 4 years for the pay bump?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Again, I'm getting a pay bump right now, this is just a guaranteed payrise in 4 years without me doing anything. Also it's € 800 monthly, which is a pretty substantial raise here.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

SEKCobra posted:

Again, I'm getting a pay bump right now, this is just a guaranteed payrise in 4 years without me doing anything. Also it's € 800 monthly, which is a pretty substantial raise here.

For reference, the sum I'd be getting in 4 years is more than people with 30 years on the job make.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Eric the Mauve posted:

Pretty sure he means 800 per week = 40,000 per year.

Of course he doesn't seem to (want to) understand that an increase of even like 25,000 per year now is far, far better than a maybe-possibly increase of 40,000 per year in four years.

Things are probably different in Europe though, I don't know.

It works exactly the same way over here. Switch company; make bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

SEKCobra posted:

For reference, the sum I'd be getting in 4 years is more than people with 30 years on the job make.

These are cool and good posts that definitely are a sound and well thought out response to the good question posed by bamhand:

bamhand posted:

What is the downside of looking for a job with a higher salary now and if you get one, taking it without having to wait 4 years for the pay bump?