Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Are there any decent hate cards to counter the Golos-Field decks that are looking to make up like 75% of the win-a-set thing that's going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017
Nothing that will just hate it out completely, but things that can cheaply answer a mass of tokens while still having utility against the rest of the field would be the place to go. Things like Legion's End, Deafening Clarion, Deputy of Detention, whatever the 2R Instant deal 2 is.

That said, playing the Golos deck myself, Deputy is really the only one that would feel pretty impactful, maybe Legion's End as well. The deck is a really good two-pronged assault, and if you dedicate too much to the passive token generation, the Golos/Krasis haymakers start to wreck you. Focus on one-for-oneing the big threats, and the zombies take you down.

You can try just getting in under the deck, which is possible, but that window does close up pretty quick. Cavalcade red seems like that might be the best option for that, also WG Adventure.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I went 10-2 with the Gruul Embercleave list that's making the rounds. At a certain point though it's down to luck, I would have loved to go 11-2 or 12-1 but I don't think 10-2 could have been reasonably improved on.
e: Bo1 List:

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 7, 2019

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Are there any decent hate cards to counter the Golos-Field decks that are looking to make up like 75% of the win-a-set thing that's going on?

it's a stupid broken deck and any attempt to interact or disrupt will end in catastrophe when you fail to account for krasis, agent of treachery, etc. etc.

the only way to attack it is to do your own linear thing. the only strategy beyond 1-drop aggro that I've seen be problematic for it is the jeskai fires deck killing with either sarkan or the cavalier of flame + cavalier of gales combo

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 7, 2019

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I saw only 3 Golos Fields during my run, but I didn't have much trouble with Rakdos Aggro. An Arboreal Grazer isn't much of a speed bump if you have flying 4/4 or a giant 7/6 in turn 3. It can have trouble setting up and stabilizing if you put real pressure on them from turn 1.

I was also the play all three times, which doesn't hurt.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Golos field mirror matches are horrendously unfun. Just played one where it came down to my opponent milling out because they were on the draw.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

berenzen posted:

Golos field mirror matches are horrendously unfun. Just played one where it came down to my opponent milling out because they were on the draw.

this is why you put WAR Jace in your wishboard

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

berenzen posted:

i just played the mirror and my opponent lucksacked into turn 3 unmoored ego nabbing all four of my fields, but they still ended up losing to turn 2 oko + beanstalk giant beatdowns. cast off killing all non-giants means that you can get your giant in for damage through a big army of zombies. owned bitch

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 7, 2019

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

berenzen posted:

this sounds awesome actually

one of my Win Everything matches i was on esper stax and my golos opponent ran out of lands and conceded, it fuckin owned

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I've been putting Ethereal Absolution in my Fires wishboard, it's pretty funny. The first one slows them down a ton, the 2nd one turns off field of the dead

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Went 3-2 with Bant Golos Fields using the tuned BO1 list, losing to Mardu Aggro god draw and Golos mirror.

I was a bit skeptical of the list since it didn't run Agent/Teferi and welp, lost the Golos mirror even after Unmoored Ego'ing their Fields. They just used Agent/Teferi bounce to steal mine :mad:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

little munchkin posted:

i just played the mirror and my opponent lucksacked into turn 3 unmoored ego nabbing all four of my fields, but they still ended up losing to turn 2 oko + beanstalk giant beatdowns. cast off killing all non-giants means that you can get your giant in for damage through a big army of zombies. owned bitch

Counterpoint: I, as golos fields, Fae of wishes + unmoored ego on T7 to get rid of their dance of the manse (and to check if they had a wishboard, they did not), and then a few turns later plane wide celebration for 12 life + getting a krasis back.

They planar cleansing'd twice for little to no effect, and in the final turn, I wished for a veil of Summer to keep my teferi alive.

It felt really good to resolve ego and basically win the game on the spot.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Argas posted:

Just mash shuffling and only the odd foil here and there, so probably less than 15 in both decks combined? Using Katana outers, KMC Perfect Fit inners. They're clearly holding less air after I squish them flat (using a marble coaster, just gently pressing/letting gravity do the work before actually pushing down) than before but they're still getting some volume of air back afterwards. If I store them top-down in the flip and tray card holders, they are just a tad less reinflated over time than when I leave them top up.

I wonder if you're using enough weight/time. When I do it with Dragon Shield Mattes and KMC Inners, I gently push the air out by hand and then put multiple heavy board games on top of them overnight. The weight is probably comparable to an unabridged dictionary. Sometimes I have to do it to the inners on their own first, but I forget which inner that was happening with.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

Counterpoint: I, as golos fields, Fae of wishes + unmoored ego on T7 to get rid of their dance of the manse (and to check if they had a wishboard, they did not), and then a few turns later plane wide celebration for 12 life + getting a krasis back.

They planar cleansing'd twice for little to no effect, and in the final turn, I wished for a veil of Summer to keep my teferi alive.

It felt really good to resolve ego and basically win the game on the spot.
that matchup is almost unlosable for you but gj

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

A Moose posted:

I've been putting Ethereal Absolution in my Fires wishboard, it's pretty funny. The first one slows them down a ton, the 2nd one turns off field of the dead

Unless they wish for Divine Visitation.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Ended up going 1-2 in yesterday's event playing Simic Food because I suck rear end, among other reasons. The deck is fun, but I'd personally lean more towards Simic Flash for the future meta. It can deal with Teferi well enough, but it almost needs to splash a color to help with with Field of the Dead.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

No changes to any format in today's B&R. I'll let Hellsau take it from here.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Is the next set only a month away? Next b&r is 18 November andni thought they were a week after set release.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ilmucche posted:

Is the next set only a month away? Next b&r is 18 November andni thought they were a week after set release.

next set is end of January, but they've been scheduling midseason br updates in case the PT shows something that ruins the format

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

Not even a note about "heh, Mox Opal sure is a WACKY card, isn't it :v:"?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Katana Gomai posted:

I'll give you a preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgflCE7zRpc

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

little munchkin posted:

that matchup is almost unlosable for you but gj

Yeah, it is what pushes dance manse revolution out of the meta and relegates it to gatekeeper status.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Katana Gomai posted:

Are you loving joking, Wizards? At least loving ban Ephemerate, since that's the most obvious busted single card, even though Tron would immediately be tier 0. Jeskai's been half of the challenge top 8s for two months, what are you loving doing, gently caress.

god drat it

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
So if this thread were Wizards of the Coast, what besides Mox Opal's getting banned next time?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tubgoat posted:

So if this thread were Wizards of the Coast, what besides Mox Opal's getting banned next time?

We should be banning ancient stirrings and manamorphose at the same time. If people want to turn the format into midrange FTW, than the need to get rid of all the efficient cheat cards.

EDIT: Maybe a couple of the other insane enablers like once upon a time, but I'm not sure it's good enough to be an issue if stirrings is gone.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 7, 2019

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Tubgoat posted:

Everything in tier 1 decks, because only my lovely tier 3 deck should be allowed to exist in Modern.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Count Bleck posted:

Everything in tier 1 decks, because only my lovely tier 3 deck should be allowed to exist in Modern.
Are you making fun of me for wanting Affinity to be able to top 8 every other event or everyone else for wanting to play things that are not presently viable? If the former, no offense taken.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

rkajdi posted:

We should be banning ancient stirrings and manamorphose at the same time. If people want to turn the format into midrange FTW, than the need to get rid of all the efficient cheat cards.

EDIT: Maybe a couple of the other insane enablers like once upon a time, but I'm not sure it's good enough to be an issue if stirrings is gone.

I think once upon a time is nice compromise. It digs for free if situational, but costs 2 to see five (four?) otherwise

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Manamorphose probably needs to go just because there are so many design spaces that it breaks wide open, even if it's not a huge offender right now. Mox Opal has to go. Astrolabe was the straw that broke the camel's back and now artifact decks just get to have Mox Rainbow while everyone else has to play on-curve. It's too much. Even disregarding metagame considerations it's an order of magnitude more powerful than half the current banned list.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
turns out a one mana artifact cantrip is a broken card, and giving it the ability to provide perfect mana forever was a bad idea

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tubgoat posted:

Field of the dead in standard. Stirrings, Opal, and Spirit Guide in modern. And Valakut but only because screw that trash, not for any legit reason. Plague Engineer on watch in modern and legacy. Wrenn and Six and True-Name in legacy. Narset and PO in vintage. Basically all of pauper. Ephemerate, a tron land (Mine because it has the worst art,) Delver, Rancor, Astrolabe. Mulldrifter on watch.

Unban Twin and Pod.

And that's just to start.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

suicidesteve posted:

Field of the dead in standard. Stirrings, Opal, and Spirit Guide in modern. And Valakut but only because screw that trash, not for any legit reason. Plague Engineer on watch in modern and legacy. Wrenn and Six and True-Name in legacy. Narset and PO in vintage. Basically all of pauper. Ephemerate, a tron land (Mine because it has the worst art,) Delver, Rancor, Astrolabe. Mulldrifter on watch.

Unban Twin and Pod.

And that's just to start.
:hmmyes:
Seriously, gently caress Field of the Dead so loving hard. I didn't think it was gonna be any good when it was spoiled but it's actually loving bullshit.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Plague Engineer is definitely a problem that the banned list needs to solve.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Tubgoat posted:

every single counter spell and sweeper, all card draw in blue but only blue, all hexproof, all infect. your new meta game is land destruction, discard, mill, and etb creatures.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

plague engineer isn’t too powerful but it’s a dumb, miserable card that doesn’t have to exist

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Thank you all for the replies!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I said I'd sell my Standard collection if they didn't ban Field, so I'll be eBaying later!

Standard, Modern, and Pauper are all terrible right now. I hope draft is as fun as it's felt so far the few times I've been able to try it in paper or I'll have nothing I want to play again.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Ah yeah I didn't even consider standard. It's maaaaybe possible for the format to adjust to Field but as a rule lands that win the game are loving miserable in standard at best, and it's not even clear to me that it's actually possible for the format to adjust. If the best option is casting an Unmoored Ego then we're in fuckin trouble

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

plague engineer isn’t too powerful but it’s a dumb, miserable card that doesn’t have to exist

Modern Horizons was a mistake and has negatively affected all formats it has touched. There are zero healthy contructed formats right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

LifeLynx posted:

Standard, Modern, and Pauper are all terrible right now.

That would be funny if we all became EDH players