Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

For badly fixed bikes, one or two fairings or mirrors or covers that look replaced and pristine, but have some scuffed/weird poo poo behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Check for mismatched, missing and rounded fasteners. When things get bent due to a crash, plastics and fairings don't fit the same, people will use force to get plastic to fit often stripping fasteners or making holes bigger. If they put new radiator/s on, ask why. Check the outside of the foot pegs if they are scratched. Look from above, are they bent backwards? Are any of the lights/signals cracked? Did they upgraded all the plastics? A lot of people will see that as the perfect opportunity to give their bike a facelift.

Also check the end of levers for scrapes or bends ... And see if they are aftermarket or stock.

You'll never truly know what a bike has been through until you but it and open it up. Even then, they reveal themselves slowly over time.

Verman fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 3, 2019

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Took the new Dianese gloves on a long ride this morning. No numbness, no cramping. My fingers can rest in a relaxed position without any tension from the glove and it’s a world of comfort difference. They also breath better.

Looks like I found my glove brand.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Which gloves did you get? I like the look of the Blackjacks.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I got the MIG C2’s.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Put a deposit on an intruder 250. It was waaaaay nicer than the other 2 I looked at and only 15k kms.

Picking it up next Friday. Debating whether to ride it the ~300km home with my wife following me in the van, or just trailering it. It'll probably depend on the weather I guess.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
How experienced a rider are you? What's the traffic like on the route?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Witnessed something that ticked me off tonight.

My balcony overlooks a popular bar with a big lit outdoor area and it’s usually swarming with Instagram influencer types. There’s usually a bike or two parked out front, there’s plenty of room for them and it’s a cool spot to stop. I see these three people taking pictures of this really pretty cruiser and after a minute one guy got on it to get more pictures.

Then I see the actual owner come running over and yelling. Turns out he was sitting on a total stranger’s bike for a photo. Dude gets off his bike and half rear end backhand waves at the owner while they walk away.

Is that normal? I’d be totally livid.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

No, that's not normal.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rolo posted:

My balcony overlooks a popular bar with a big lit outdoor area and it’s usually swarming with Instagram influencer types. There’s usually a bike or two parked out front, there’s plenty of room for them and it’s a cool spot to stop. I see these three people taking pictures of this really pretty cruiser and after a minute one guy got on it to get more pictures.

Then I see the actual owner come running over and yelling. Turns out he was sitting on a total stranger’s bike for a photo. Dude gets off his bike and half rear end backhand waves at the owner while they walk away.

Has happened to me and several other people I know, very common, don't park in a public place unless you can see the bike where you're sitting.

Or just own a blast or something else terrible that people won't find interesting.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Heath posted:

How experienced a rider are you? What's the traffic like on the route?

Maybe 10 hours total riding experience, it's mostly empty country roads once I'm out of the small city the bike's in. But it looks like it'll probably rain so gently caress it I'll either fit the bike in the van or hire a trailer.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Rolo posted:

In normal society it’s totally reasonable to expect that sitting on a stranger’s motorcycle without asking will result in a beating.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Strife posted:

In normal society it’s totally reasonable to expect that sitting on a stranger’s motorcycle without asking will result in a beating.

He was a big dude too. I sort of expected it, especially after how dismissive the idiot was after getting off of it.

In better news fall has finally hit my southern hellhole. Riding when it’s 65 is amazing and I finally got to put my comfortable inner lining back in my jacket.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is real duh duh stuff, but I finally tried a proper chest to the tank tuck in at speed and while it felt real unusual at first I found it really helped. It made looking behind me a little uncomfortable when I was changing lanes but I suspect that’s just practice needed.

I’m differentiating this from the “hug the bike” crouching I did before where I just kind of leaned in a little.

I think before next riding season I’m going to change my front sprocket to reduce highway RPMs. Anything I can do to reduce the revs a little at high speed cruising.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cruising down the motorway fully tucked in is just...just dire.

E: You know what, I've tried to top out every bike I've owned including all the lovely learner ones.

If you wanna do it proper then dig the balls of your feet into the pegs, grip the tank with your knees like a vice, keep a featherweight grip on the bars, try to stick your head as close to the screen as you can with your chin in the cavity above the instruments, try to stick your elbows as close to your body and the bike as possible.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 7, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Cruising down the motorway fully tucked in is just...just dire.

I'm watching you

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Am I the only one who worries about scratching their mirrored visor when they tuck in? Although despite my best efforts, it already has a fair number of scratches in it

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
In the same way that we may as well throw away our newly-bought potatoes and mushrooms as soon as we get home from the store, mirrored visors may as well come with scratches and scuffs from the factory.

e: see also: bananas

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I've decided to commute year round (except when it's snow/icy). Any tips on getting the rain to roll off the visor easier?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I've decided to commute year round (except when it's snow/icy). Any tips on getting the rain to roll off the visor easier?

Rain-x make a plastic variety...

But I’ve got a bottle, and every time I’ve tried to use it it’s just made a foggy mess. Tips appreciated.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Go faster? Some gloves have little wipers built in.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A clean visor and a minimum of 80kmh + turning your head to the side is the solution I've found.

The little finger wiper things work well until the gloves get old then they turn hard and useless like real window wipers.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Always and frequently clean your visor with dish soap and your fingertips and rinse off with low pressure tap water, don’t wipe with anything. It’s not a complete solution but the occasional head turn that Slavvy mentioned works at lower speeds. The super thin film of soap residue also keeps the inside of your helmet smelling a bit fresher for a week or so, works as an anti-fog, and makes cleaning bug guts off the outside easier.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Maybe my head turn only works above 80 because my visor is loving rooted :v:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I watched some videos, then got a brief instruction from the owner/friend of the bike I want to ride, then mounted it and immediately stalled it. Tried again, then rode for approx. 1 min and somehow managed to throw myself off the front end of the bike and land pretty good on my shoulder.
I'm really loving bad at trying this, and it's intimidating to have to practice on something so expensive. I really need a "for dummies" series of videos or online tutorials. Anyone have some?

I am already buying the bike and all, so I didn't feel too bad about laying it down, it's an old thing and on the starter list in the OP, but I was real loving embarrassed.

E: It was on a nice piece of private property in a yard on grass, so I wasn't real hurt and the bike wasn't hurt, I just feel stupid.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Take some lessons?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Take the MSF course.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Do this. It's absolutely worth it. Drop some junker 250 with guidance instead of a bike you actually plan to ride.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The junker 250 is also the bike I'm going to ride. I'll do that. I didn't think there was ... motorcycle lessons beyond the MSF. Sorry for the dumb question.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

E: apparently I can't read.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 9, 2019

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Buy a ttr125 and practice on that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hit a little milestone this morning!

And one more because why not.

Still in love with turning. Looking into track day lessons.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nice! Are those little wings the frame sliders? :3:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah they are! They were a bigger project than I thought it’d be but I’m a fan.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Handsome bike, I like the inverted forks.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Dumb question time! Do frame sliders serve the same function as crash bars, and either way what's the difference between them?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The difference is magnitude. Crash bungs offer moderate protection at low speeds or when lowsiding at a high lean angle, and usually just keep the critical parts off the ground so bodywork, exhaust etc still get hosed up. They're also single use and, depending on design/quality can cause more harm than good, as they're often improperly attached to engine mount bolts or critical areas of the frame and just end up transmitting the impact to expensive stuff that breaks easily.

Crash bars are much more comprehensive and depending on design can keep the entire bike from touching down. Stunter cages routinely survive hundreds of spills. So if you plan on falling over regularly get those.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Firstborn posted:

I watched some videos, then got a brief instruction from the owner/friend of the bike I want to ride, then mounted it and immediately stalled it. Tried again, then rode for approx. 1 min and somehow managed to throw myself off the front end of the bike and land pretty good on my shoulder.
I'm really loving bad at trying this, and it's intimidating to have to practice on something so expensive. I really need a "for dummies" series of videos or online tutorials. Anyone have some?

I am already buying the bike and all, so I didn't feel too bad about laying it down, it's an old thing and on the starter list in the OP, but I was real loving embarrassed.

E: It was on a nice piece of private property in a yard on grass, so I wasn't real hurt and the bike wasn't hurt, I just feel stupid.

I'm in the UK, and live 3 miles away from a good motorcycle school. It's been invaluable. I've had... maybe 10 lessons so far. I've five more I've signed up for between now and my Module 1 test on Tuesday the 29th of this month.

Module 1 is done in a carpark, you have to do a tight U turn, a controlled stop, an emergency stop at highish speed, a hazard avoidance simulation between cones, handling the bike while on foot (i.e. manoeuvring it around), slaloming and figures of 8 around cones. While some of these scenarios are not applicable in real life (who on earth does continuous figures of 8?), they still really help in learning fine clutch control and throttle control and properly using the back brake during manoeuvres.

Then I have my Module 2 test on the second last week of November, which will be riding around on the road and not screwing up (examiner rides behind, we are linked via bluetooth helmets).

What I'm saying is:
1. Get lessons.
2. America's laissez faire attitudes to learning to ride is possibly not the best idea, there is a strong case for government intervention.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Just to add on, I am hardly hot poo poo at motorcycling. Just doing these lessons informed me of how much I don't know and how far I have to go to become decent (a long long way, even after I get my full license in a few months).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Steakandchips posted:

What I'm saying is:
1. Get lessons.
2. America's laissez faire attitudes to learning to ride is possibly not the best idea, there is a strong case for government intervention.

This could solve a lot of our problems tbh