Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Does anyone here use the Audio MIDI thing in macOS? I'm trying to send midi timecode between two computers over network but I can't get IP midi to show up in the Audio MIDI Setup app. Sorry if this is the wrong thread, wasn't really sure where else to ask this.

For what it's worth I've been referencing this video to get it to work -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12GxWhQ6IzM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

A weird thing is going on with my Finder and Synology NAS. I want to mount the docker volume automatically. Finder already mounts and connects as my NAS user when I'm on my home network, but it mounts all the volumes EXCEPT docker's. Every time I close the finder window, I have to cmd+k the docker volume manually. What gives? What's special about that volume.

It doesn't happen in the new samba interface on iOS's files, but it does happen in VLC's network tab.
Checked everything on the Synology side? Like discoverability of that volume or something.

...although reading your post again that’s probably not it, can’t really tell what the hell is going on there. Unless it’s just doing a temporary access thing (if that’s even a thing in macOS), like cmd-k shouldn’t have that issue. Is the Docker volume in the keychain? Not sure it’d have a separate one unless it had different credentials though I guess.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does Safari 13 (.0.1) crash for anyone else when they try to select a page number on the forums from the dropdown in a thread?

e: Crash, meaning beachball until I have to force quit.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
yep, everyone's been using Firefox for SA.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i should probably get around to releasing my mac app/safari extension version of SAFixes somehow. it makes the breadcrumbs sane again

(Chrome version here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/somethingawful-fixes/hkcmehfaiggpkbggojdnlnhpalabcjbm)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Safari 13's been crashing arbitrarily a lot since I installed it. Like I'm just sitting there doing nothing and suddenly it explodes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It just wor--(not responding)

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I plug my iphone in to a Kensington hub to trickle charge it (connected to my MacBook Pro, monitor, etc) and the last week or two the Photos app on the laptop has been very obnoxiously opening/closing/opening/closing with the phone appearing and disappearing. If I force close Photos it just opens back up. After about 5 minutes of this it will stop for an hour or two but then start doing it again.

I've had this setup for 2 years with no problems.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Instead of the post that was here (which is now in the house of tech support where it belongs), I'm just going to point out that it's hilarious to me that people think macOS is BSD, when the kernel_task in top does not issue a single BSD system call and XNU is just about the only part of macOS that contains some BSD code, namely the netstack, the virtual file system layer, the process model, and the POSIX compatibility layer that they use to get their SUS certification from OpenGroup, and which I'm fairly sure hasn't been updated or upstreamed since FreeBSD 7.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 1, 2019

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Keyser_Soze posted:

I plug my iphone in to a Kensington hub to trickle charge it (connected to my MacBook Pro, monitor, etc) and the last week or two the Photos app on the laptop has been very obnoxiously opening/closing/opening/closing with the phone appearing and disappearing. If I force close Photos it just opens back up. After about 5 minutes of this it will stop for an hour or two but then start doing it again.

I've had this setup for 2 years with no problems.

Bad Lightning cable would be my guess if you're not having any issues with the other devices on your hub. Also check to see if the port on your phone is full of lint or something.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

D. Ebdrup posted:

Instead of the post that was here (which is now in the house of tech support where it belongs), I'm just going to point out that it's hilarious to me that people think macOS is BSD, when the kernel_task in top does not issue a single BSD system call and XNU is just about the only part of macOS that contains some BSD code, namely the netstack, the virtual file system layer, the process model, and the POSIX compatibility layer that they use to get their SUS certification from OpenGroup, and which I'm fairly sure hasn't been updated or upstreamed since FreeBSD 7.

I think calling something BSD now just means it’s a UNIX-like that got more code from 4.4BSD-Lite than SVR4 and develops most of its userland and kernel together. It’s a historical label more than anything.

Also, their POSIX certification is bullshit, because /bin/sh is bash 3, and bash 3 is broken in some way when it comes to POSIX compliance. It just happened that the test suite didn’t catch whatever bash was doing wrong. I haven’t looked at the beta, but I bet they haven’t replaced it or wrote their own fixes.

POSIX certification itself is bullshit, anyway. It requires various things that modern systems probably should not be doing. Off the top of my head, the most glaring example is requiring that file access times be updated. Sure, that’s great for forensics, but there are better ways to keep track of file access than queuing a file system write every single time a file gets read.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Double Punctuation posted:

I think calling something BSD now just means it’s a UNIX-like that got more code from 4.4BSD-Lite than SVR4 and develops most of its userland and kernel together. It’s a historical label more than anything.

Also, their POSIX certification is bullshit, because /bin/sh is bash 3, and bash 3 is broken in some way when it comes to POSIX compliance. It just happened that the test suite didn’t catch whatever bash was doing wrong. I haven’t looked at the beta, but I bet they haven’t replaced it or wrote their own fixes.

POSIX certification itself is bullshit, anyway. It requires various things that modern systems probably should not be doing. Off the top of my head, the most glaring example is requiring that file access times be updated. Sure, that’s great for forensics, but there are better ways to keep track of file access than queuing a file system write every single time a file gets read.
Nah, there are definitely FreeBSD bits in macOS (something the engineers learned at NeXT, which had BSD bits taken from the CSRG distributed code), which lead to Apple hiring Jordan K Hubbard and Kip Macy (who up until their hiring had over 5k commits to FreeBSD, combined).
Some of it is described here but a lot of people make the assumption that just because there are bits of FreeBSD 7 in the kernel and a couple of userland utilities (which bash isn't part of, because it's never been part of the base FreeBSD system), it's a genuine BSD-like, whereas nothing could be further from the truth.

Also, it's the Single Unix Specification by OpenGroup that they're (were?) certified for.

For reasons to do with a settlement, BSD or the BSDs that descend from it, cannot be a Unix.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 1, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So close to having ZFS, still bitter about whatever the gently caress happened.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Data Graham posted:

So close to having ZFS, still bitter about whatever the gently caress happened.
:same:

Adam Leventhal has the story.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Any suggestions for media ingestion apps or workflows? Right now I'm importing all of my media from my cards manually using the Finder because I have specific folder structures I need to use. What I'd like to happen is this:

1. Insert a camera card (SD, XQD, CF, etc.)
2. Activate a workflow somehow
3. The workflow asks for a project name (I type in like 'Shoe Commercial')
4. The files are copied to a pre-set destination using the project name, any other variables I've defined in settings (such as adding today's date to the beginning), and the camera type (as determined either as a variable the workflow asks for or derived from the filenames of the source folder). So something like:

/Projects/2019/10-02 Shoe Commercial/Videos/GoPro/
/Projects/2019/10-02 Shoe Commercial/Videos/D850/

I've seen a couple of different options but they are all relatively expense for where I'm at right now. Is this something I could do with some sort of workflow with Automator, or a tool like Carbon Copy Cloner? Any suggestions? FCP import options don't seem super robust for automation.

Here are some of the tools I've found:
https://hedge.video
https://www.redgiant.com/products/shooter-offload/

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Howdy gang. I have a question that's Jamf/Intune/MDM related. Best place for it? Here? Cavern of COBOL?

edit: Never mind. I answered my question while pooping.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 3, 2019

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Violator posted:

Any suggestions for media ingestion apps or workflows? Right now I'm importing all of my media from my cards manually using the Finder because I have specific folder structures I need to use. What I'd like to happen is this:

1. Insert a camera card (SD, XQD, CF, etc.)
2. Activate a workflow somehow
3. The workflow asks for a project name (I type in like 'Shoe Commercial')
4. The files are copied to a pre-set destination using the project name, any other variables I've defined in settings (such as adding today's date to the beginning), and the camera type (as determined either as a variable the workflow asks for or derived from the filenames of the source folder). So something like:

/Projects/2019/10-02 Shoe Commercial/Videos/GoPro/
/Projects/2019/10-02 Shoe Commercial/Videos/D850/

I've seen a couple of different options but they are all relatively expense for where I'm at right now. Is this something I could do with some sort of workflow with Automator, or a tool like Carbon Copy Cloner? Any suggestions? FCP import options don't seem super robust for automation.

Here are some of the tools I've found:
https://hedge.video
https://www.redgiant.com/products/shooter-offload/
It might be possible with Automator and/or other (free) scripting. Whether it actually can or should be done is all in the details though. Like for the camera type it’ll depend if that’s available in EXIF data or some unique file name pattern (basically just something to identify the different cams), and same thing goes for all the other specific variables you’re thinking of.

My main concern would be whether Automator or whatever would hold up for big transfers/huge volumes of stuff. If you’re going to make dupes/backups something like CCC (or whatever paid or free alternative) isn’t a bad idea. Use that to copy stuff over, then use Automator/whatever for sorting stuff out, and back to the copy app for backing up the sorted files. (and depending what you use, could be all scripted so it’s not separate steps).

japtor fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 3, 2019

Violator
May 15, 2003

japtor posted:

It might be possible with Automator and/or other (free) scripting. Whether it actually can or should be done is all in the details though. Like for the camera type it’ll depend if that’s available in EXIF data or some unique file name pattern (basically just something to identify the different cams), and same thing goes for all the other specific variables you’re thinking of.

I was able to get this to work, but like you said not sure if I should be doing this since I'm not too familiar if Automator is the best option for big transfers. I have it configured so that it asks what the project name is, what the camera type is, and then it creates nested folders with those answers combined with date information, copies the files, and then opens a Finder window to the location so I can verify everything. I just have it copying to the desktop now for testing but I'll switch it over to my NAS and see how it does.

One nice thing is that since it's a copy operation, it appears nothing can ever be overwritten. So if you enter the same project name or camera type then it just reuses already existing folders. If you run it multiple times, then it will create duplicates of files instead of overwriting files already there.

Here's the Automator configuration if it helps anyone else. I don't use the program very often but it looks like it can do a ton, you just have to know it's quirks. Like my hangup was I didn't know you could drag variables to use those instead of only the options in the selects.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Violator posted:

I was able to get this to work, but like you said not sure if I should be doing this since I'm not too familiar if Automator is the best option for big transfers.

Automator is just a front-end for AppleScript. The Copy Finder Items action is just sending an AppleEvent to Finder telling it to copy those items, Finder is the thing actually doing the copying.

(In other words, yes it’s fine for this)

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I've found automator (and/or?) apple script are really slow when handling files when compared to a script coded in literally anything else.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I didn't see if there was a dedicated thread for Adobe-esque discussion, but with the upcoming death of 32-bit apps in Catalina, it looks like I'll have to say goodbye to my beloved Creative Suite 6. Sure I'll probably hold off upgrading for a while, but...

Given I don't need all the latest and greatest, honestly my use of most of Creative Suite hasn't changed much since the pre-CS days, how do people feel about Photoshop Elements etc, presumably in expert mode?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Is there any reason you need to update to Catalina? I usually do a format and a fresh install every year because I'm a neat freak but this time I'm just gonna wait a few months. Not so much because of the 32-bit controversy but more that I have everything set up the way I want it and I've been very happy with Mojave.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

American McGay posted:

Is there any reason you need to update to Catalina?
I'm thinking more that, eventually I'll be forced to upgrade, even if it's to whatever follows Catalina.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

American McGay posted:

Is there any reason you need to update to Catalina? I usually do a format and a fresh install every year because I'm a neat freak but this time I'm just gonna wait a few months. Not so much because of the 32-bit controversy but more that I have everything set up the way I want it and I've been very happy with Mojave.

I've been installing on top of the same installation since at least Jaguar lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Krankenstyle posted:

I've been installing on top of the same installation since at least Jaguar lol
I understand that this is largely a flawless experience but I've still got stuff stuck in my Windows 2000 brain about hidden registry entries and weird system files that formatting and installing fresh helps me sleep at night. Also it cuts out the clutter since I generally only reinstall stuff as I need it so stuff that I never use doesn't just sit around forever.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tbf I probably do have at least a dozen gigs of crap strewn about various config folders etc

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Small White Dragon posted:

I didn't see if there was a dedicated thread for Adobe-esque discussion, but with the upcoming death of 32-bit apps in Catalina, it looks like I'll have to say goodbye to my beloved Creative Suite 6. Sure I'll probably hold off upgrading for a while, but...

Given I don't need all the latest and greatest, honestly my use of most of Creative Suite hasn't changed much since the pre-CS days, how do people feel about Photoshop Elements etc, presumably in expert mode?

Affinity Photo is a way better (and cheaper) alternative to Photoshop than PS Elements, IMO.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Weedle posted:

Affinity Photo is a way better (and cheaper) alternative to Photoshop than PS Elements, IMO.

My dad transitioned from CS6 to Affinity and absolutely loves it.

eames
May 9, 2009

macOS Catalina is available on the App Store now.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Direct link for US App Store if it's not showing up for you:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-catalina/id1466841314?mt=12

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Is there a way to tell what is going to stop working if I upgrade to Catalina?

eames
May 9, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

Is there a way to tell what is going to stop working if I upgrade to Catalina?

The installer supposedly warns you and lists any installed 32-bit only programs. That being said I'm definitely going to wait for .1 after seeing iOS 13 unfold. :v:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

System Report (in About This Mac) > Software > Applications

Then you can order by 64bit 'No'

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Go to "About This Mac" and click on System Report.

The application list is under Software>Applications. That will tell you which applications are still 32-bit (and will no longer work).

e: fb :argh:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

EL BROMANCE posted:

FYI, that might not be a complete lists of incompatibilities. Some 64-bit programs can still be dependent on 32-bit code to provide some functionality, despite being listed as 64-bit in this list. I've also heard of some cases where the program is 64-bit, but the installer is only 32-bit, so the program will work if you have it installed before upgrading to Catalina, but if you ever need to reinstall it, you're SOL.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ouch, hopefully the installer does a more thorough job then!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Can't wait to go home and break the gently caress out of my Mac!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Sims 4 is one of the dumber cases I've seen, where the game itself is all 64-bit, but on Mac it's using a 32-bit launcher wrapper, so it doesn't work.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Oh goodie. A list full of adobe services and installers. This will end well. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

We finally have a new thread title

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > macOS and Mac Software: 64bit No!

although I guess it should technically be 32bit no!