Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus tap dancing Christ. Bleeding Cool has a story on DC"s 5G thing and man does it sound dumb as poo poo.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/1...F6kpDJXCUwWEy3k

I am totally out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Rhyno posted:

Jesus tap dancing Christ. Bleeding Cool has a story on DC"s 5G thing and man does it sound dumb as poo poo.

I am totally out.

Sounds like what Marvel did a few years back, no chance this sticks

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barry Convex posted:

Sounds like what Marvel did a few years back, no chance this sticks

It won't stick but it's going to last a while.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I wish some of the Marvel stuff had stuck. I don't think this will be any better or worse than what DC's got going on now, I think a lot of their main line lacks direction and interesting new creators, and this probably won't change any of that

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like legacy stuff so this doesn't bother me at all

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It sounds like they're pulling the trigger on this all at once which just feels, dumb.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So the Rebirth stuff was more or less designed to roll-back the New 52 stuff, is that correct? What happened to Barbara Gordon? Did they put her back in the wheel chair?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

chaosapiant posted:

So the Rebirth stuff was more or less designed to roll-back the New 52 stuff, is that correct? What happened to Barbara Gordon? Did they put her back in the wheel chair?

No, it was a slow roll and now it sounds like they're charting an entirely new course.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
We are just in time for Superman 2020. Appalling lack of moon colonies though.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I am totally out.

It'll be "interesting" to see how they're going to toss Luke into the garbage when they need to make Bruce the one true Batman again. And by interesting I mean it'll probably be crap. Why the gently caress do they need to keep artificially aging Johnathan??? Can't he just be from the future? How hard is this?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Black Batman is a great idea. It shouldn't be Luke Fox though. Luke Fox sucks. I'd even take Duke over Luke.

Messing with Jonathan Kent further is just loving dumb. But they've already messed that up so why not loving go for the overkill.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I don't really like the idea of a Batman that isn't one of Bruce's proteges, just because it feels like "I need someone to take over for me. I have a whole bunch of people I trained and nurtured to be just as good as I am. Nah, I'm going to pick this totally other dude."

But there's not really another good option for a black Batman I suppose, if that's what they're really shooting for. Even Duke doesn't feel earned since he's the most recent addition to the family.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Duke Thomas might not be ready in the books now, but that's not really stopping them with Jonathan Kent. And as far as that goes Duke, even younger and a much newer character, is way more interesting of a choice than Luke Fox. I mean I don't think I've ever read something with Luke Fox that I can actually even remember. He's that unremarkable.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Darth Nat posted:

I don't really like the idea of a Batman that isn't one of Bruce's proteges, just because it feels like "I need someone to take over for me. I have a whole bunch of people I trained and nurtured to be just as good as I am. Nah, I'm going to pick this totally other dude."

Hey now, last time it worked out... uh... hm. Well, at least this time he's not choosing someone with some weird cult brainwashing?

Anyway, I've only actually encountered Luke Fox as Barbara's love interest, and I didn't hate him (I still need to pick up volume 3 of the Burnside run though), but he also didn't make much impression. Wasn't he Batwing for a bit?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Weather Wizard appreciates DC 5G because it makes the heroes' ability to predict his actions more difficult.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If I had my way we'd still have Dickbats.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I remember Luke from Detective Comics where he basically said that as a hyper genius he doesn't care about sports. That rubbed me the wrong way.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I will only accept Cass Cain as the replacement Batman. Possibly in a partnership with Tim (I really liked Daimon Scott's Solo comic with them, OK?)

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

X-O posted:

Black Batman is a great idea. It shouldn't be Luke Fox though. Luke Fox sucks. I'd even take Duke over Luke.

Messing with Jonathan Kent further is just loving dumb. But they've already messed that up so why not loving go for the overkill.

I agree that a POC Batman is a good idea, but I just can't help but get Secret Empire vibes as to how it could end. Also it would be sort of a waste of an idea to not have it focus on urban poverty and racial disparities with some of the more grounded Batman villains and or the hyper corrupt Gotham city government.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jiro posted:

I agree that a POC Batman is a good idea, but I just can't help but get Secret Empire vibes as to how it could end. Also it would be sort of a waste of an idea to not have it focus on urban poverty and racial disparities with some of the more grounded Batman villains and or the hyper corrupt Gotham city government.

I'm not sure Luke Fox is the one to be addressing poverty issues. He's another born rich kid just like Bruce was but without the tragic inciting incident to keep him from growing up that way.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Checking out DCs new timeline and this is going to be as big of a mess as flashpoint.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

I'm not sure Luke Fox is the one to be addressing poverty issues. He's another born rich kid just like Bruce was but without the tragic inciting incident to keep him from growing up that way.

Again all those points show that Duke would be better than Fox.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I will only accept Cass Cain as the replacement Batman. Possibly in a partnership with Tim (I really liked Daimon Scott's Solo comic with them, OK?)

My man :respek:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Madkal posted:

Again all those points show that Duke would be better than Fox.

Duke coming from the Future to br Batman would've been a more realistic idea than Luke being Bats.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

I remember Luke from Detective Comics where he basically said that as a hyper genius he doesn't care about sports. That rubbed me the wrong way.

Which is ironic because when he was introduced he was a boxer. I guess when you have such a high intellect, you don't even care about sports you're actively participating in.

God I hate Batwing.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Wasn't Batwing originally a completely different person that wasn't quite as boring? I don't remember why they changed to Luke Fox.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Darth Nat posted:

Wasn't Batwing originally a completely different person that wasn't quite as boring? I don't remember why they changed to Luke Fox.

Yeah he was David Zavimbe, a cop in the DRC. But then DC learned that no one wanted to buy a comic based in Africa with no other superheroes to do crossovers with, so he oh so conveniently quit and Batman appointed his "first choice" to be Batwing, Luke. No really he was the first choice all along guys :rolleyes:.

Luke did like one arc in Africa and then promptly came back to Gotham just like everybody else

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 8, 2019

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Yeah he was David Zavimbe, a cop in the DRC. But then DC learned that no one wanted to buy a comic based in Africa with no other superheroes to do crossovers with, so he oh so conveniently quit and Batman appointed his "first choice" to be Batwing, Luke. No really he was the first choice all along guys :rolleyes:.

Luke didn't like one arc in Africa and then promptly came back to Gotham just like everybody else

I bought Batwing. That was a great series.

Maurice Augustus
Nov 27, 2011

Now that various internet communities are abuzz talking about Joker, comics-newbs like me get drawn in too. Someone mentioned DC Black Label and it got me intrigued. I bought some cape comics a couple of years ago and was thoroughly disappointed with pretty much all of them. I however liked Prison Pit, stuff from Adrian Tomine and Crossed: Wish You Were Here. Should I give Black Label a try and if yes, what are some good starting issues?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Maurice Augustus posted:

Now that various internet communities are abuzz talking about Joker, comics-newbs like me get drawn in too. Someone mentioned DC Black Label and it got me intrigued. I bought some cape comics a couple of years ago and was thoroughly disappointed with pretty much all of them. I however liked Prison Pit, stuff from Adrian Tomine and Crossed: Wish You Were Here. Should I give Black Label a try and if yes, what are some good starting issues?

The one with Batman's dick

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Roth posted:

The one with Batman's dick

Those copies are expensive

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
There have been remarkably few actual Black Label comics published so far, and like most things at modern day DC, I hope you fuckin' love Batman!

the only complete black label comic
Batman: Damned: A hardboiled supernatural three-part series about Batman maybe hallucinating a lot and seeing ghosts after he might have killed the Joker. The first printing of the first issue had Batman wandering around the Batcave having a breakdown and you could see his dick. By Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo

started but not yet complete
Batman: Last Knight on Earth: A not-yet-finished pseudo-sequel to Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo's mainline Batman comic, about a post-Apocalyptic future where Batman (or is he?) travels a blighted Earth with the Joker's immortal severed head to save the Earth from maybe Batman
Batman: Curse of the White Knight: A sequel to the non-Black-Label Batman: White Knight, an alternate reality where maybe Batman is the bad guy and Joker is the good guy? By Sean Murphy.
Superman: Year One: Frank Miller does a spiritual sequel to his Batman: Year One with an out of continuity origin story for Superman that involves Jack Kirby fantasizing about loving mermaids
Harleen A dark and serious alternate origin for Harley Quinn

reprinted with the BLACK LABEL label
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns: Frank Miller's big Serious Old Man Batman Returns To A Crime Blighted Future Gotham from 1986. Hugely influential for better or worse.
Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again: Frank Miller's weird Harvey Kurtzman inspired sequel to the Dark Knight Returns, you can pretty much watch Miller's brain break over 9/11 in the pages of this book
Batman: The Dark Knight: The Master Race: A sequel where Frank Miller seems only technically involved, other people come in and do their best 1986 Frank Miller impersonations thirty years later
All-Star Batman & Robin, The Boy Wonder: Frank Miller's prequel to the above, famous for I'M THE GODDAMN BATMAN, an issue where they forgot to properly censor Batgirl calling motherfuckin' cunts a bunch of shithead motherfuckers, also having never actually getting its story finished
Arkham Asylum: A 1989 Grant Morrison/Dave McKean graphic novel about how wE'Re aLL mAd HeRe
Batman: The Long Halloween: The first Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale Murder Mystery That Involves All Of Your Favorite Batman Characters; a terrible mystery but a lot of people like it for the atmosphere/all yr favorites
Batman: Dark Victory: Another murder mystery where Batman must fight all your favorite Batman characters again to find the murderer again
Catwoman: When In Rome: A story in the same 'world' as the two above, boldly not involving a murder mystery if I recall
Batman: Haunted Knight: Loeb and Sale again, this time spooky Batman Halloween stories
Batman: The Killing Joke: Alan Moore and Brian Bolland's graphic novel that for better or worse has informed 99% of all Joker takes since 1986, including the Ledger and Phoenix versions.
Batman: Year One: The big modern version of the Batman Origin Story by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli
Batman: Year 100: A standalone Paul Pope story about Batman in the future
Batman: White Knight: See above
Joker: Azzarello/Bermejo's take on a standalone Joker story where he's a jive talking gangsta and maybe Batman's the bad guy?
Lex Luthor: Man of Steel: Azzarello/Bermejo again, maybe Lex Luthor is the good guy and Superman's the bad guy?
Kingdom Come: Mark Waid and Alex Ross tell a story about the future, where all of these new 1990s Image and Marvel style antiheroes are actually dumb and stupid and bad, and Batman and Superman and Wonder Woman are the REAL heroes
Superman: Red Son: What if Superman was a Soviet and had to fight Soviet Batman?
All Star Superman: Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely do a big unironic love letter to the concept of Superman
DC: The New Frontier: Darwyn Cooke's book about the Dawn of Superheroes in the dawn of the 1960s
Frank Miller's Ronin: A cyberpunk ninja book that Miller wrote and drew right before Dark Knight Returns. Literally the only one of these books not to feature Batman or Superman
Watchmen: It's Watchmen. I guess Batman and Superman aren't in this one, but they're all over the sequel Doomsday Clock!

Oh also coming soon, you can be on the lookout for these other Black Label books:

Joker/Harley: Criminal Sanity (a dark realistic take on etc. etc. etc.)
Joker: Killer Smile (a dark realistic take on etc. etc. etc.)
Batman: Dark Knight Returns: The Golden Child (another Miller produced Future Batman Story)
Batman: The Three Jokers (hahahahahahahaha)
Wonder Woman: Dead Earth (Wonder Woman in the post-apocalypse, but not the one from Last Knight on Earth)
The Last God (a D&D/Game of Thrones inspired post-apocalypse story)

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 9, 2019

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Making someone else Batman besides Dick is just dumb.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Codependent Poster posted:

Making someone else Batman besides Dick is just dumb.
If trends continue everyone who has their own DC Comic will be Batman by 2024, so get used to it.

Ugenesis
May 1, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

If trends continue everyone who has their own DC Comic will be Batman by 2024, so get used to it.

Dark Knights Metal?

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Edge & Christian posted:

the only complete black label comic
Batman: Damned: A hardboiled supernatural three-part series about Batman maybe hallucinating a lot and seeing ghosts after he might have killed the Joker. The first printing of the first issue had Batman wandering around the Batcave having a breakdown and you could see his dick. By Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo

I think they've said it's actually part two of a planned trilogy (part 1 being JOKER).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

Oh also coming soon, you can be on the lookout for these other Black Label books:

Batman: The Three Jokers (hahahahahahahaha)

Wait so have they completely given up on that being in canon now?

Edge & Christian posted:

By 2024 Disney will own all media as well as most human life, so every Marvel hero will also get a chance to be Batman too.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Curious how they are reprinting All Star Batman and Robin seeing as that comic never actually ended

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

TwoPair posted:

Last I heard it was still technically in canon, but given the book doesn't exist yet who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

TwoPair posted:

By 2024 Disney will own all media as well as most human life, so every Marvel hero will also get a chance to be Batman too.

Well, Daredevil was already called Red Batman...