Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Tubgoat posted:

:hmmyes:
Seriously, gently caress Field of the Dead so loving hard. I didn't think it was gonna be any good when it was spoiled but it's actually loving bullshit.

Reprint Sowing Salt, tbh.

Honestly I don't know why we couldn't have gotten a Tec Edge or Ghost Quarter reprint in M20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Magnetic North posted:

I wonder if you're using enough weight/time. When I do it with Dragon Shield Mattes and KMC Inners, I gently push the air out by hand and then put multiple heavy board games on top of them overnight. The weight is probably comparable to an unabridged dictionary. Sometimes I have to do it to the inners on their own first, but I forget which inner that was happening with.

Might be time but weight shouldn't be an issue. I've been clamping down the marble coasters after gently compressing the stack by hand. Some of the Katana sleeves I used were tight during double sleeving that it's possible I slightly stretched them permanently in the process, but I've also had Katanas where the perfect fit slid in without issue, and I've been testing some other outer sleeves too and they've all had the same issue with puffing up slightly. At this moment I'd chalk it down to the KMC perfect fits but my LGS doesn't have any Dragon Shield inners in stock and I want to try their sealable inners too.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
What formats is Arcum's Astrolabe ruining?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'm not usually big on Standard bans, but they're slipping back into old habits of providing incredibly powerful stuff and then not letting us interact with it. Maybe if Hushbringer actually had the full Torpor Orb ability to shut off land ETBs that would help, but really the only option right now is Unmoored Ego or incredibly expensive land destruction that only takes care of Field once it's out (and probably triggered at least once).

I've had to shift Ashiok to the main just to try to keep them from searching, but that's just a (very fragile) speed bump that also slows me down so they have time to just assemble their lands the old fashioned way and/or spend those turns dealing with my poo poo. The up-side is it saved my rear end against a rogue Chalice of Eternity reanimator-style Loch Ness Monster thing I ran into.

I love that Standard has a different line of attack with lands. But I'd also love to actually be able to beat that strategy some way other than "just do your own linear thing and try to win faster than they do".

In other news, why the gently caress does every pushed rare and mythic from Throne seem to have haste? Questing Beast is utterly obnoxious right now, and I'm really struggling to picture the process around how they designed that card and just kept tacking on more and more text.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Reprint Sowing Salt, tbh.

Yeah at least for the BFZ utility lands we had the Devoid equivalent whose name I forget but that did the same thing but exiling instead of destroying. If you print powerful lands and enablers like I Can't Believe It's Not Explosive Vegetation, Growth Spiral, and Risen Reef, just give us equally powerful answers to keep things fun.

Sickening posted:

Legacy and the current plague of Wrenn and Six piles.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Seriously, gently caress Field of the Dead so loving hard. I didn't think it was gonna be any good when it was spoiled but it's actually loving bullshit.

Field of the dead would be fine if they had bothered printing any land destruction or blood moon edfects

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if there was a torpor orb type effect that also hit haste i think that would be main deckable in this standard honestly

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

sit on my Facebook posted:

as a rule lands that win the game are loving miserable in standard at best
I really like manlands and have thoroughly enjoyed every standard in which they were legal.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

It's clearly just a ploy by wizards to drive up zombie token prices

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Tubgoat posted:

You know, I wonder how much of the problem is that the way to make FotD bullshit is largely just to do the same bullshit that modern manabase design philosophy incentivizes you to be doing anyway.

Like right now if you're playing a three-color deck, you can play at least seven differently-named lands (your three basics, the three shocklands in your colors, plus at least one scryland) before you even start looking at the lands that you'd ordinarily feel bad about putting in a Constructed deck.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Quite literally all of them except Vintage at this point

E: it’s broke in Modern Whirza, broke in 4 colour masturbatory value piles in Leg, broke rear end in Pauper

Card is broke

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

LifeLynx posted:

I said I'd sell my Standard collection if they didn't ban Field, so I'll be eBaying later!

Standard, Modern, and Pauper are all terrible right now. I hope draft is as fun as it's felt so far the few times I've been able to try it in paper or I'll have nothing I want to play again.

Keep stuff that's good in EDH, the only good format

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Is there a new MTGA thread or is this it also?

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

There's an arena-specific one in Games.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Draxion posted:

There's an arena-specific one in Games.

Cheers

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kraps posted:

Is there a new MTGA thread or is this it also?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897805&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

Modern Horizons was a mistake and has negatively affected all formats it has touched. There are zero healthy contructed formats right now.

turns out deliberately designing cards to impact eternal formats leads to a lot of mistakes.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"A pitch they wish they could get back," I think is about the consensus right now.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Unironically wondering if Brawl isn't the most well-balanced constructed format right now. Looks like Chulane might be the best... Brawler? But it's a format not touched by Modern Horizons or Field of the Dead. Someone stop me from building a Brawl deck (possibly by reminding me that I'd be the only one around me with a Brawl deck).

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

LifeLynx posted:

Unironically wondering if Brawl isn't the most well-balanced constructed format right now. Looks like Chulane might be the best... Brawler? But it's a format not touched by Modern Horizons or Field of the Dead. Someone stop me from building a Brawl deck (possibly by reminding me that I'd be the only one around me with a Brawl deck).

Framboise posted:

Keep stuff that's good in EDH, the only good format

Should also add "because people actually play EDH". Lot harder to find games of brawl.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BaronVonVaderham posted:

In other news, why the gently caress does every pushed rare and mythic from Throne seem to have haste? Questing Beast is utterly obnoxious right now, and I'm really struggling to picture the process around how they designed that card and just kept tacking on more and more text..

Because the last decade or so has relied so heavily on ETB effects on creatures that if they don't have one, they need to be amazing to see play. A creature with 7 pages of text, but no ETB needs haste or an ability worth the risk

Framboise posted:

Should also add "because people actually play EDH". Lot harder to find games of brawl.
I wonder if Arena having Brawl will push it into becoming an actual paper format people want to play, or if it will just mostly be played on Arena.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I can see something from whirza going. Don't see how plague engineer is that bad. Seems like it was aiming for humans and to a lesser extent spirits but whiffed and took out all the goofy tribal decks. Astrolabe is really strong.
Is simian spirit guide looked at because it's a free mana the opponent can do nothing about?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Because the last decade or so has relied so heavily on ETB effects on creatures that if they don't have one, they need to be amazing to see play. A creature with 7 pages of text, but no ETB needs haste or an ability worth the risk

I wonder if Arena having Brawl will push it into becoming an actual paper format people want to play, or if it will just mostly be played on Arena.

I'm just getting back into Magic after not playing since the Urza's cycle in the early 2000's, and Brawl seems super awesome. The extraordinary cost of modern decks makes me want to shoot myself, and now that I'm working and have kids I don't always have the time to spend a whole day playing a few EDH games at a FLGS. Plus the Brawl deck special on MTGA was tons of fun. So if I could get games I'd love to play Brawl. If I can't I'll probably build some EDH decks.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Because the last decade or so has relied so heavily on ETB effects on creatures that if they don't have one, they need to be amazing to see play. A creature with 7 pages of text, but no ETB needs haste or an ability worth the risk.

I wonder if Questing beast would be played anywhere near as much if it was a 4/4 for 4 with only 5 abilities instead of 6.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ilmucche posted:

I can see something from whirza going. Don't see how plague engineer is that bad. Seems like it was aiming for humans and to a lesser extent spirits but whiffed and took out all the goofy tribal decks. Astrolabe is really strong.
Is simian spirit guide looked at because it's a free mana the opponent can do nothing about?

I think a super narrow thing like tribal hate is fine and good.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Hard to say. I'd be more than happy to play Brawl on Arena. But my reasons for not wanting to play paper brawl are the same as why I don't really want to play standard. Rotating formats just don't appeal to me.

If Brawl just became an eternal format from like, Tarkir forward, I think it'd be quite popular on paper and significantly less busted than what EDH can be. (I like busted EDH, but I know it drives people away too.)

Framboise fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 7, 2019

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ilmucche posted:

plague engineer sucks because it's great against 1-toughness creatures in general, which makes it a maindeckable card that incidentally hoses a chunk of the metagame

ssg is one of those cards that isn't always a big player in the metagame, but has never led to anything that resembles good gameplay

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Retromancer posted:

I wonder if Questing beast would be played anywhere near as much if it was a 4/4 for 4 with only 5 abilities instead of 6.

As long as three of them were "Haste, ignore chumps, nuke planeswalker", it probably would.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Immunity to Questing Beast is Oko's greatest strength.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Yeah why the gently caress does a 3 mana planeswalker start with 6 loyalty on turn 2 (without fail it's always turn 2 off a goose then +2 to replace the food token). I also don't get why his second ability is a +1 instead of a -1.

We've come a long way from Kiora costing 4 and starting on 2 (/3) with just a +1 to nerf a single creature.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Sickening posted:

That's not what Plague Engineer is, though. It's solid against a pretty broad range of opponents. Any matchup where killing an x/1 and trading with another creature or removal spell is useful, it's a playable card. I don't think it's too good for modern, or anything, but it's a very demoralizing and unfun card to play against when it's doing its expected job of destroying tribal decks. There just isn't much upside to it existing, it's not like humans or spirits was taking over the metagame or anything, and there are a lot of fun tribal decks that are perfectly fine for FNM like Elves, Goblins, Merfolk, Slivers, etc.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
It sucks when it changes bitterblossom text to read "lose 1 life every turn", but is manageable with pretty much any removal. Oko and small teferi are worse to play against.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

ilmucche posted:

It sucks when it changes bitterblossom text to read "lose 1 life every turn", but is manageable with pretty much any removal. Oko and small teferi are worse to play against.

Yeah, "sucks to play against, but is manageable" is definitely the best way to describe it, which isn't exactly shining praise for the design of the card.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

Super narrow 3 mana edict with a tacked on conditional plague wind.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Yeah why the gently caress does a 3 mana planeswalker start with 6 loyalty on turn 2 (without fail it's always turn 2 off a goose then +2 to replace the food token). I also don't get why his second ability is a +1 instead of a -1.

We've come a long way from Kiora costing 4 and starting on 2 (/3) with just a +1 to nerf a single creature.

Mine are always turn 3 off of a Grazer I drew on turn 2.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Haste is for most intents and purposes an etb ability

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I think they printed Plague Engineer as a safety valve against Humans mainly. Since creatures keep getting pushed and the tribe with biggest representation is Humans (and it can play 5 colors), it's not hard to see it maybe dominating the format. It was the best deck for a time with a reason. But yeah, the side effect is just hosing all the cool tribal decks.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

eldraine already turning the legacy metagame upside down: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/legacy-ubg-103358#paper

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I bought the brawl deck and immediately started taking it apart to turn into an EDH deck, so I'm going to guess no.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

eldraine already turning the legacy metagame upside down: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/legacy-ubg-103358#paper

I think the person playing that deck has a stack of Guardian Beasts in Paper

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think the person playing that deck has a stack of Guardian Beasts in Paper

this is the kind of market manipulation i can get behind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Hey idiots the existence of a 3 mana 2/2 with deathtouch that demands removal from tribal decks isn’t overpowered, Jesus Christ. I can’t believe how dumb I think this take is. “Well I could have killed you on turn 4 if you didn’t cast a 2/2 on your turn three!!” is the most baby poo poo I’ve read in this thread in a while. Yeah I know none of you said exactly that but it’s my strawman and it looks how I want it to look.