Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1181232786096697344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

can we at least agree that this is a controversial issue upon which people might reasonably disagree

In conclusion, Libya Syria is a land of contrasts. Thank you.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Crakkerjakk posted:

IIRC the same people that sabotaged peace negotiations between north and south Vietnam to sandbag Johnson and get Nixon in office were involved in the fuckery with the Iran hostage return being delayed to get Reagan in office.

And also there's a fair amount of evidence that HW Bush knew about the Iran/Reagan bit and covered it up, in addition to pardoning Iran-Contra assholes on his way out the door.

Robert Parry has some good books on this.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1181258801455996934?s=20

Welp, now he’s done it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

im glad some people are talking now jfc

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Wait PAT ROBERTSON is now upset at how hard were loving over poor foreigners? Isnt that what makes him able to get out of bed every morning?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

“I urge the President to exercise American leadership to keep together our multinational coalition to defeat ISIS and prevent significant conflict between our NATO ally Turkey and our local Syrian counterterrorism partners,” he added. “Major new conflict between Turkey and our partners in Syria would seriously risk damaging Turkey’s ties to the United States and causing greater isolation for Turkey on the world stage.”

“As we learned the hard way during the Obama Administration, American interests are best served by American leadership, not by retreat or withdrawal,” McConnell warned on Monday.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

“I urge the President to exercise American leadership to keep together our multinational coalition to defeat ISIS and prevent significant conflict between our NATO ally Turkey and our local Syrian counterterrorism partners,” he added. “Major new conflict between Turkey and our partners in Syria would seriously risk damaging Turkey’s ties to the United States and causing greater isolation for Turkey on the world stage.”

“As we learned the hard way during the Obama Administration, American interests are best served by American leadership, not by retreat or withdrawal,” McConnell warned on Monday.

Too late

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1181284363352367105

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1181283198224855040

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
Oh loving great, well that was quick.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Samantha bee went to kurdistan some time ago and they were over the moon w/r/t trump, naming their kids after him and poo poo. It was super sad because we all knew good and god drat well he'd hang them out to dry when it became expedient whenever he felt like it. I wanted to shout through the monitor at them not to trust him.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The arc flash from whatever transformer went up looks worse than the explosion.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wait when did Trump become the Emperor of China?

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Something like this was always gonna happen eventually, as the US cares way more about Turkey than the Kurds.

Fuckin' sucks though.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

Wait when did Trump become the Emperor of China?

Ask him and I’m sure he will tell you.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Stravag posted:

Wait PAT ROBERTSON is now upset at how hard were loving over poor foreigners? Isnt that what makes him able to get out of bed every morning?

Robertson is waiting on that delicious End Times and doesn't want anyone loving with his schedule.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
just imagine still trusting the US in tyool 2019

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
"loving reckless child." is all my brain can muster.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
"correct the demographics" is certainly a way to disguise the word genocide

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Victor Vermis posted:

"loving reckless child." is all my brain can muster.

He's managed to start a war in under 24 hours, by accident, mallice, stupidity all of the above. That shouldn't be loving possible.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hexyflexy posted:

He's managed to start a war in under 24 hours, by accident, mallice, stupidity all of the above. That shouldn't be loving possible.

I'm just surprised Erdogan was the first to start a war by exploiting Trump's willingness to agree to anything so long as you say hes the greatest.

Then again I guess the Saudis can do that with any american leader so

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm just surprised Erdogan was the first to start a war by exploiting Trump's willingness to agree to anything so long as you say hes the greatest.

Then again I guess the Saudis can do that with any american leader so

this has also been Israel's entire policy with Trump

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Proud Christian Mom posted:

this has also been Israel's entire policy with Trump

When NK starts flinging missiles at actual people Trump is gonna remember the big beautiful letter KJU sent him.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1181299742980132870?s=19

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

And that’s that.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1...ingawful.com%2F

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

House Intelligence Committee: You're gonna appear at this date and time and answer questions under oath, or you'll be held in contempt!

Gulianni et al: no

House Intelligence Committee: Welp, we've done all we can do. :shrug:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/chiefpentspox/status/1181275466537357313?s=21

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

"- as did the President -"

Oh ok.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Have a moment of levity in this terrible hosed up day:

https://twitter.com/laraseligman/status/1181306171417939970

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
comic loving sans

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

redneck nazgul posted:

Have a moment of levity in this terrible hosed up day:

https://twitter.com/laraseligman/status/1181306171417939970

Some kid has just done the best hack of their life. Good luck kid, I avoided getting arrested for doing dumb computer stuff by total fluke.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

colachute posted:

Did you expect Mattis to like, actually tell Trump what to do or,

It would’ve been helpful if he had more to say on the subject than “it would be inappropriate for me to say anything about my time with the presidency.” Instead, he just hosed off with his paycheck. I don’t think I owe a lot of respect to the people in privileged positions of the administration who recognized the harm it was doing and refused to become an activist for the nation upon leaving.

And gently caress, for all I know being the one adult in the room has saved us from the brink of several disastrous policies. There’s a few sources saying as much.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 7, 2019

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Fallom posted:

It would’ve been helpful if he had more to say on the subject than “it would be inappropriate for me to say anything about my time with the presidency.” Instead, he just hosed off with his paycheck.

What difference would it make?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fallom posted:

It would’ve been helpful if he had more to say on the subject than “it would be inappropriate for me to say anything about my time with the presidency.” Instead, he just hosed off with his paycheck.

That's what happens when you, with drat loving good reason, spend centuries establishing civilian control of the armed forces as a paramount principle of governance and instilling that into the armed forces.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

House just subpoenaed the Pentagon and OMB for documentation on withholding aid from Ukraine.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-impeachment-live-updates/2019/10/07/cec4666e-e873-11e9-9306-47cb0324fd44_story.html

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

colachute posted:

Mattis was the kind of leader both sides of the aisle claimed to respect, so I think his statements on the administration probably would make something of a difference in public and congressional opinion.

I don’t actually blame him for the decisions the administration makes. I just find it frustrating that so many leaders with the ability to speak out are instead choosing the path of least resistance out of the public eye.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 7, 2019

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

colachute posted:

He seemingly prevented this from happening a year ago. Watch any interview with Mattis post-military & pre-appointment. He is very clear about the importance of "being faithful to our allies" (and, in full disclosure, "gently caress Iran").

I don't know what to make of his "honorable" silence post-resignation, and everything went to poo poo anyways, but if he had stuck around and forced the President to fire him over the Kurds things may have been slightly less lovely overall.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Victor Vermis posted:

He seemingly prevented this from happening a year ago. Watch any interview with Mattis post-military & pre-appointment. He is very clear about the importance of "being faithful to our allies" (and, in full disclosure, "gently caress Iran").

I don't know what to make of his "honorable" silence post-resignation, and everything went to poo poo anyways, but if he had stuck around and forced the President to fire him over the Kurds things may have been slightly less lovely overall.

I get it. But he isn’t secdef anymore. Anything he says at this point is irrelevant. Maybe it’ll make you feel better for a moment but it’s not going to decrease the chances of the Kurds getting slaughtered.

Tangent, kind of towards you but more in general of how I’ve been feeling lately: all of these tweets and statements and poo poo mean nothing. I’m so loving sick of politicians posting on Twitter like it makes a goddamn difference. The statements that get released about how lovely trump is make no difference.

I wish they would just shut the gently caress up and get to work. Less words, more loving action. Screw a statement, do something of loving substance or gently caress off.

End of my tangent. Again this wasn’t directed towards anyone in particular, this in particular is just what sent me on this tangent. That’s why I don’t care about a statement from Mattis. It’s just words on a paper/screen/however you ingest it. It doesn’t do poo poo meaningful.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

colachute posted:

I get it. But he isn’t secdef anymore. Anything he says at this point is irrelevant. Maybe it’ll make you feel better for a moment but it’s not going to decrease the chances of the Kurds getting slaughtered.

Tangent, kind of towards you but more in general of how I’ve been feeling lately: all of these tweets and statements and poo poo mean nothing. I’m so loving sick of politicians posting on Twitter like it makes a goddamn difference. The statements that get released about how lovely trump is make no difference.

I wish they would just shut the gently caress up and get to work. Less words, more loving action. Screw a statement, do something of loving substance or gently caress off.

End of my tangent. Again this wasn’t directed towards anyone in particular, this in particular is just what sent me on this tangent. That’s why I don’t care about a statement from Mattis. It’s just words on a paper/screen/however you ingest it. It doesn’t do poo poo meaningful.

I thought we were talking about Mattis remaining as Sec Def until fired, but I feel ya on people thinking Twitter represents a meaningful representation of public opinion.

On the bright side, there are actually meaningful actions being taken. Impeachment seems extremely loving plausible for once. And, contrary-wise to my above sentiment, if D and R politicians alike feel emboldened by twitter's extremely-online echo chamber cheerleading them on in order to take personal responsibility to up-end this hillbilly republic's hosed up child king, then so be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It owns so loving much that this administration is going to get away with literal, provable crimes because the system that would hold them accountable is based entirely on people politely following the rules.

I'm 99% certain that if Trump loses in 2020, he can just say "nah" and everyone will shrug and accept it.