Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Zoro's the traitor.

He just got lost really, really badly this time.

When it's pointed out to him he'll fix it with swords. This is One Piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
So this was a pretty insane find someone on twitter found. Oda may have revealed some of the Rocks pirates over 500 chapters ago!

https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/ddx40q/manga_spoilers_somebody_found_them_oda_you/

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Viridiant posted:

Has there ever been anyone in One Piece who betrayed the good guys who wasn't almost immediately forgiven?

cp9.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Ah, you're right.

God dammit CP9.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
cp9 had a redemption arc cover story (except for lucci he still sucks)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ryaomon posted:

cp9 had a redemption arc cover story (except for lucci he still sucks)

Lucci's redemption was caring for the rest of CP9 and saving them, and then going back to CP0 instead of staying with them I guess.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Isn't Kaku also in CP0?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, I think CP0 is just 9 with the numbers switched and some extra recruits.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's a good chance that Shyaky (the former pirate who runs a bar in Sabondy) was a Rocks Pirate member too, given that she said that Garps was chasing after her 40 years ago.

Also brought up by Japanese readers as seen in SBS (Volume 90).

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/SBS_Volume_90

quote:

D: "Pirates", "40 years ago", and "Garp" were used to talk about Shakky before. Is there some relationship between Shakky and Rocks? -P.N. WE Part-timer

O: Uh...!! That was 30 years ago and from before volume 40! Why do you remember that? I... I don't know a thing! Uh... Fwe... Fwee~ Fwee~ [whistling noises]

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Completely unsubstantiated theory but I think Rayleigh was also part of Rocks and was recruited by Roger after Rocks' defeat.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RatHat posted:

Completely unsubstantiated theory but I think Rayleigh was also part of Rocks and was recruited by Roger after Rocks' defeat.

We see Roger recruit Rayleigh a long time ago when the both of them were young and Roger was still sporting his straw hat back then.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Damnit.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I bought the official Korean version of the first Vivre Card Pack (containing all characters until the Buggy Arc + post timeskip Strawhats) and it's funny cause the cards have a section for how characters refer to themselves in 1st person but because that's not really a thing in Korean it's just a random panel of them talking while referring to themselves using the same 1st person word.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, I think CP0 is just 9 with the numbers switched and some extra recruits.

CP0 is iirc said to be the high command of Cipher Pol, and it seems that a lot of CP9 were reinstated, presumably after the whole Impel Down debacle turned out to be nothing compared to the Paramount War clusterfuck and the Straw Hats weren't just another rookie pirate crew after all. Spandam presumably was a classic case of getting kicked upstairs.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Desperate Character posted:

So this was a pretty insane find someone on twitter found. Oda may have revealed some of the Rocks pirates over 500 chapters ago!

https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/ddx40q/manga_spoilers_somebody_found_them_oda_you/

Moria's zombification process must make them into some real loving chumps then bc them and Ryuma got trounced by pre-timeskip Strawhats

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Doesn't the strength of the shadow being put into them factor into it?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The zombies were all some vague combination of the corpse and the shadow, with most of the strength coming from the shadow. It was enough for Ryuma to be better at using Brook's techniques than he was, but he couldn't, say, remember how to use haki.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
There is also the factor of a skeleton being a weaker body than one that still has muscles and stuff. It didn't help that Brook's technique based skills got put into a body with roughly Zoro level muscle, something his own body never had.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Julias posted:

Yeah, it feels really weird how Oden has been kept in shadow, even up to this point in the arc. I wonder if oda is just building it up for dramatic tension to reveal him for a later flashback, or if he's going to return to the story in some way and his design might spoil something.

when i reread punk hazard the other day i noticed momonosuke was also kept in shadow for his first real appearance, the flashback when he's refusing to eat with the other imprisoned kids

didn't really amount to anything there

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxzD1TQjcLQ

Found this and it makes a somewhat compelling argument!

Yeah I could see that, although i hope that his "true skills" would still be lovely. Just slightly less lovely.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i think this was brought up earlier but kiku uses female pronouns but male pronouns are used elsewhere or something? i only vaguely remember it coming up itt which is why i'm probably wrong

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

rannum posted:

Yeah I could see that, although i hope that his "true skills" would still be lovely. Just slightly less lovely.

His true skills are shittier somehow.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Jose posted:

i think this was brought up earlier but kiku uses female pronouns but male pronouns are used elsewhere or something? i only vaguely remember it coming up itt which is why i'm probably wrong

Basically, the issue is that there isn't a female version of the word one uses to describe oneself when one is saying they're a samurai. Just a male version. Because while women could belong to the samurai class (and marry samurai men), they were forbidden from taking up arms and going to war, only staying at home (and sometimes taking up arms to defend said home). So it's pretty much impossible to say 'I am a samurai' without technically saying 'I am a samurai man'.

So while Kiku is 100% a trans woman, who literally used THE phrase used in Japan when saying that you're a trans woman (the "my heart is of a woman"(sp) thing, which doesn't fully translate in english), in addition to regular female pronouns whenever appropriate, there are a number of pedants and transphobes (subconscious or otherwise) that use the first to deny the second.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Basically, the issue is that there isn't a female version of the word one uses to describe oneself when one is saying they're a samurai. Just a male version. Because while women could belong to the samurai class (and marry samurai men), they were forbidden from taking up arms and going to war, only staying at home (and sometimes taking up arms to defend said home). So it's pretty much impossible to say 'I am a samurai' without technically saying 'I am a samurai man'.

So while Kiku is 100% a trans woman, who literally used THE phrase used in Japan when saying that you're a trans woman (the "my heart is of a woman"(sp) thing, which doesn't fully translate in english), in addition to regular female pronouns whenever appropriate, there are a number of pedants and transphobes (subconscious or otherwise) that use the first to deny the second.

ok thank you for explaining because it seems insane to treat kiku like she isn't a woman

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Jose posted:

ok thank you for explaining because it seems insane to treat kiku like she isn't a woman

Yeah, but it's never stopped transphobes before, so just more of the usual, sadly.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

as a brit i'm from the land of terfs so its not unusual

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

anyway did anyone else expect act 3 to be a single chapter? lol

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

EimiYoshikawa posted:

This is a very helpful post and I've been looking for someone to explain the "this one" phrasing for like, a year. Thanks for sharing the info.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I go to bed every night saying a prayer that Oda doesn't gently caress up when Sanji meets Kiku

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I just got done with the Skypiea arc, and while I'm liking One Piece and will probably continue, there are some aspects that have started to annoy me and I was curious if they get resolved or if I just have to deal with it. Firstly, I really don't like the way Oda deals with injury. I feel like he uses moments of characters working past their injuries to defeat the enemy so often that fights start losing their tension. Similarly, I feel like a lot of the fights, particularly the big fights for Luffy and Zoro, feel really samey. While there may be interesting moments in the fight, like using water against Crocodile or hitting the wall to fight Eneru, it seems like the conclusions just sort of happen, if that makes sense. It's made it so that most fights with the Monster Trio just feel like forgone conclusions and I don't find myself wondering how the Straw Hats will pull themselves out of this one.
To supplement my gripes, I'll say that I think Oda may be the master of giving everyone something to do, which I honestly love. Everyone seems to be doing something once the arcs get going, and they all contribute in interesting ways.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I just got done with the Skypiea arc, and while I'm liking One Piece and will probably continue, there are some aspects that have started to annoy me and I was curious if they get resolved or if I just have to deal with it. Firstly, I really don't like the way Oda deals with injury. I feel like he uses moments of characters working past their injuries to defeat the enemy so often that fights start losing their tension. Similarly, I feel like a lot of the fights, particularly the big fights for Luffy and Zoro, feel really samey. While there may be interesting moments in the fight, like using water against Crocodile or hitting the wall to fight Eneru, it seems like the conclusions just sort of happen, if that makes sense. It's made it so that most fights with the Monster Trio just feel like forgone conclusions and I don't find myself wondering how the Straw Hats will pull themselves out of this one.
To supplement my gripes, I'll say that I think Oda may be the master of giving everyone something to do, which I honestly love. Everyone seems to be doing something once the arcs get going, and they all contribute in interesting ways.

The series does improve withthe “conclusions just sort of happen” aspect for the major core fights of Big Bad vs Luffy, but honestly it’s one of the biggest problems of the series and remains present for a long time, particularly with Zoro. A lot of fights just keep going on until it’s time for the good guy to win, then they immediately do and that’s that. The flow of the main core fights tend to go along with the flow of drama rather than building strategic tension - they go until plot-wise they NEED to end or else Bad Things will happen, then they go on a bit longer to build up tension, then eventually the gang pulls through. A lot of the fights tend to air on the DBZ side of shonen with “how will luffy have the strength to beat the big bad guy?” instead of the JoJo side of things that are more “how will luffy use his brain to beat the big bad guy?” Because of this, a lot of the fights go on until story-wise they just need to end, so they do.

Like I said though, the series does get better about this as it goes on. It gets far better at communicating the ebb and flow of a battle, where one character is on the backfoot and seems to be all but defeated, only for them to push through and overwhelm their opponent. the next arc you’re going into is generally considered to be Very Good, if not one of the best. I will say, though, that I personally find the upcoming final fight pretty meh, but the arc overall is fantastic.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Skypiea was famously the series low point for a very long time (and the series never does anything quite as shonen dumb as trapping luffy in a snake for a while). The next 300 chapters are where One Piece went from great to goat. just stick with it and enjoy.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 7, 2019

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Fights do improve as Oda gers better at coreographing them, and injuries do become more consequential, but some of the issues remain. It is a consistent weakness of the series in some ways.

But OP deals with it in a remarkable way: everything else becomes vastly improved as Oda’s storytelling consistently improves. Fights become shorter to make room for more story and characters. Today’s OP fights are mostly short, impactful, impressively coreographed, and focus more strongly on pushing story and characters forward. So your issue will disappear mostly but by focusing more on the series strengths over improving on its weaknesses.

Also, the series eventually reach a point where raw strength, devil fruit weaknesses and ‘just try harder’ just doesn’t cut it anymore for winning, and luffy n co are forced to team up and get creative. At this point wins no longer just happen, and there is a hell of a turning point coming soon, although I wont spoil more than that...

Bisse fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 7, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The treatment of injuries and the ebb and flow of battle never entirely stops being a weak point for One Piece. Luffy vs. Katakuri is particularly bad about it, and while Zoro does at least win his Dressrosa fight in a clever way, there's still the same sense of "why couldn't he just do that sooner?" Luffy does get several interesting fights (at least if you can look past how many hits he's able to take towards the end of an arc), most of Usopp's fights involve interesting tactics, and Sanji's fights tend to at least be amusing, but Zoro's fights almost always feel pretty arbitrary, and some other characters with interesting powersets rarely get fights at all.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Reiterating what everyone has already said about how you're coming up on a golden era for the series. And also that while the "burning shonen spirit" method of winning does continue to be an issue for the series, this is one of the few mangas I've read that really sells when the heroes are just completely out of their depth even on that front.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Okay, good to know. I'm glad there's some improvement and that it's a known problem that isn't just me "not getting it."

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Cat Machine posted:

This is a very helpful post and I've been looking for someone to explain the "this one" phrasing for like, a year. Thanks for sharing the info.
When something doesn't make sense, check out the corresponding episode of the One Piece Podcast. The translator is on most of the episodes and explains it all very well.

BTW the word Okiku uses is the same one Kenshin uses.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Oda needs to make a character based off of Elton John already, that dude is primo material for someone truly outlandish

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Parrotine posted:

Oda needs to make a character based off of Elton John already, that dude is primo material for someone truly outlandish

I’m pretty sure Doflamingo fits that bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So while I do understand your opinion, I must say it's always confused me why there's been a growing vocal group that dislikes Skypiea. Skypiea to me best encapsulates the entire series, and was therefore the best arc for me for nearly a decade until the new arc came along and started really delivering. With the common fan favorites being close behind. Not news, but OP is first and foremost about adventure. The title of the first chapter isn't just Romance Dawn, it's "Romance Dawn: Dawn of Adventure". Skypiea is basically prime adventuring for the series. The location can basically never be beaten (except by Raftel), you're not beating an island in the sky with a giant beanstalk, an ancient city of gold, etc. Except for probably Raftel.

That's already a giant plus and a huge boost for the arc. But add to that the enemy *might as well* have been a god. An unlucky god, but still. That's a biiig jump in antagonistic power in the series rather quickly, and the stark jump against our crew who is still rather puny in comparison to any powerful players at that point was packed with tension for me. While they won their individual fights in Skypiea, a lot of them ended up getting hosed up by Enel anyway to the point of near-death. So it was just really cool to see this ragtag crew go against a god who can rain lightning. I know the god thing has been done to hell and back in a lot of series, but very rarely is anyone as ostensibly weak as a rubber dude taking on the god.

Add to that the fun survival game, the very strong flashback, many strong main crew character moments, the crew all having interesting fights there, incredible foreshadowing (only matters retroactively), the crew just having fun screwing around and surviving off of the land, and I dunno man it's just hard for me to see why, when reading One Piece for adapting to fantastical locations, that this arc can be considered bad.

Demonicpoodle fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 7, 2019