Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...ingawful.com%2F

lol wtf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
well, trurmp obviously didn't clear this with the republican leadership, so what are the chances of that having some consequences?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I, in my great and unmatched wisdom,

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

He wants Turkey to massacre prisoners on their way down through Rojava. No biggie.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

My great and most wise president, destroyer of Turkish economy,

THS
Sep 15, 2017

jesus christ

THS
Sep 15, 2017

death to america

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

THS posted:

death to america

Always untill the end of time, death to this vile nation :d2a:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Kurnugia posted:

well, trurmp obviously didn't clear this with the republican leadership, so what are the chances of that having some consequences?

He can move the military at will.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Man Musk posted:

Iraq is a Shiite-majority state with much of the demonstrations happening in the Shiite south.

However, its institutions are very weak and being hollowed out and replaced by Iranian-backed factions and militias, who are corrupt af.

Iranian-backed factions and militias have been leading the repression of protestors, and attacking media (smashing TV stations, etc) that air the demonstrations or are otherwise perceived as unfriendly to Iran.

Iraqis have a tough enough lot, and just want to exercise their national sovereignty. -

how true is this, this sounds like american state department spin on the fact they destroyed iraq's infrastructure, never built it up and set up a puppet government filled with looters and people are mostly fed up with nonfunctioning government services not iran

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nonsense posted:

oh good

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Nonsense posted:

they have in the past been (smart? lucky? optimistic?) enough to slow-roll or just flat ignore the stuff he was asking them to do in the hopes he'd forget about it, but he made this one real public

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I keep hearing how this will wreck the Turkish economy somehow, but I don't follow how

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mila kunis posted:

how true is this, this sounds like american state department spin on the fact they destroyed iraq's infrastructure, never built it up and set up a puppet government filled with looters and people are mostly fed up with nonfunctioning government services not iran

I've seen it asserted that the kleptocrats who are the target of popular anger are seen to be allied with Iran, which kinda makes sense, in that it's not exactly a secret that Iran wants influence in Iraq and I'm sure that said kleptocrats are more than willing to milk Iran for all they're worth while they squeeze what they can out of Iraq.

I don't know poo poo about local politics there, but it seems plausible that Iran is getting some blowback, even as Western interests actively and deliberately misrepresent the nature of the Iraqi people's grievance.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

mila kunis posted:

reality is more nuanced than that... there seems to be some confusion about state and non-state actors

nobody in iraq is actually advocating for bombing iran

i.e. iranian-backed factions and militias is to not iran, as the nra is to not russia

the people are not happy about the replacement of local tribal leadership by Baghdad stooges, and being shot in the street by foreign-aligned non-state and quasi-state actors

all w/in the context of coming off 10+ years of foreign occupation and 2+ years of losing half its territory to IS, the economic pressure is certainly there

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Plutonis posted:

I, in my great and unmatched wisdom,

he's on a turkish Ottoman vibe rn i guess

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fuligin posted:

he's on a turkish Ottoman vibe rn i guess

[url= https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reply_of_the_Zaporozhian_Cossacks]Well, we all know what the proper response to that is.[/url]

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

lol i bet there are some very surprised french troops as well

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Darth Walrus posted:

He wants Turkey to massacre prisoners on their way down through Rojava. No biggie.

why would they massacre their recruits

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

how does Russia benefit from their syrian client state's sovereignity being violated by the turks, who're also going to be backing and supporting jihadists in the region

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1079121911781736448?s=20

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
clinton condemning trump is pretty rich give. she'd do the same thing he did if it meant preserving relationships with turkey. especially since turkey is now closely aligned with qatar, one of her biggest backers.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
miss girl boss realpolitiks would have no compunctions about throwing weak allies under the bus

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
This has been an interesting weekend for my extended family in Kurdistan and Baghdad

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

mila kunis posted:

how does Russia benefit from their syrian client state's sovereignity being violated by the turks, who're also going to be backing and supporting jihadists in the region

the whole situation is super complicated by Turkey controlling passage into the Black Sea.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the whole situation is super complicated by Turkey controlling passage into the Black Sea.

Yeah Turkey is explicitly playing both the US and NATO because Erdogan realized that his geostrategical worth makes it perfectly possible.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
why are we here? only just to suffer?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

BULBASAUR posted:

This has been an interesting weekend for my extended family in Kurdistan and Baghdad

May they have the fortune to not live in interesting times.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1181282572673773572

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1181284363352367105

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1181126803517247489

big brain turkey over here

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Jesus they’re gonna kill everyone

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Correcting the demographics, one bombing run at a time.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i guess they know they gotta make this a fait accompli

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
so is everyone pro interventionist now because Trump bad?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

Seems like most posters here are against the US-Sponsored Turkish intervention though

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The status quo wasn't good and couldn't last, but Turkey committing ethnic cleansing in Syria and Iraq is worse.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

donald the dove wins again

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

A Big Fuucking Hornet, 1994: "It's good that the troops in Rwanda are not doing anything, we wouldn't want to intervene in a genocide"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Look I'm aware I'm ignorant as hell on this particular geopolitical issue but This Time American Troops Will Help isn't a very convincing argument for some reason.

e: ok suit dallaire back up that's fine