Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Prester Jane posted:

worked well enough for Ted Nugent :shrug:

And Trump, the last 5894397 times he's done it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ImpAtom posted:

Somebody once told me Turkey's gonna roll me, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Nice.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

jesus h. loving christmastime i've never hated somebody so much in my life.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Velocity Raptor posted:

How long will the cleanup be once Trump is gone? And how much of this can be repaired?

Like I would hope that our (former?) allies would take into consideration that Trump is a loving idiot, but legitimate or not, "America" elected him into office.

Has Trump done so much damage that we won't be able to go back to how we were wrt foreign relations?

I mean, he's already driven away a few countries that used to import from America because of his trade war tantrum.

You're looking at the death of the post-war consensus. We'll never be able to fully go back. We can work on building something new but there's definitely no going back from this.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Rex-Goliath posted:

You're looking at the death of the post-war consensus. We'll never be able to fully go back. We can work on building something new but there's definitely no going back from this.

Remember when it was impossible for Trump to screw up foreign affairs as badly as George W bush had?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Prester Jane posted:

Remember when it was impossible for Trump to screw up foreign affairs as badly as George W bush had?

its still gonna be hard to reach those W/Nixon/LBJ numbers but trump will try.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Rabble posted:

Yes, I don't see any other reading other than genocide.

It's likely going to be like what happened in Afrin--expulsions, ban Kurdish schools etc, not Auschwitz. We're not about to see another holocaust but it will be the destruction of their culture and mass, forced hardship.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Prester Jane posted:

hold my sudafed

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Other countries won't trust us until we can guarantee we won't elect another person like Donald Trump by fixing our system.

So never.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

OctaMurk posted:

Erdogan spokesman says that the Turkish mission is to correct the demographics in northern Syria

Jesus Christ, 0 to genocide in...what, 24 hours?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its still gonna be hard to reach those W/Nixon/LBJ numbers but trump will try.

If he actually manages to cause the dissolution of NATO he easily wins

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

OctaMurk posted:

It's likely going to be like what happened in Afrin--expulsions, ban Kurdish schools etc, not Auschwitz. We're not about to see another holocaust but it will be the destruction of their culture and mass, forced hardship.

thats the "best" case scenerio. also you don't need auschwitz if the turkish army just acts like the einsatzgruppen.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats the "best" case scenerio. also you don't need auschwitz if the turkish army just acts like the einsatzgruppen.

That's what they have the FSA for. TSK will get to keep its hands relatively clean while the FSA will run rampant.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Prester Jane posted:

I'm not gonna lie going into year three of this presidency I was starting to feel like he really was going to leave most things on pause for better or for worse. Looks like that's over

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This sounds like utter chaos in Northern Syria. US troops pulling out on some orders and others holding position, the US attempting to block the Turks from entering airspace, the Turks seeing a greenlight to begin bombardment and trying to do as much as possible before the US effectively does something to stop them

Trump may have just provoked a major international incident in the Middle East for absolutely no reason or gain, and burned some of our best regional allies, as well as pissed off the Joint Chiefs of Staff who are now scrambling to figure out what the loving is going on

Complete FUBAR

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 7, 2019

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
It's me. I'm the guy who types out legal letters in comic sans.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1181299742980132870?s=20

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

OctaMurk posted:

Yeah, I mean there are levels of genocide, as weird as that may sound, right? Destroying of culture, taking away their children, making them live in squalor can all be elements of it.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

OctaMurk posted:

To be clear, and you may also mean this, what you described is also genocide.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

This sounds like utter chaos in Northern Syria. US troops pulling out on some orders and others holding position, the US attempting to block the Turks from entering airspace, the Turks seeing a greenlight to begin bombardment and trying to as much as possible before the US effectively does something to stop them

Trump may have just provoked a major international incident in the Middle East for absolutely no reason or gain, and burned some of our best regional allies, as well as pissed off the Joint Chiefs of Staff who are now scrambling to figure out what the loving is going on

Complete FUBAR

This is going to end in a war with Turkey.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So what the hell does that mean?

Turkey's bombing the Kurds' avenues of retreat before the ground forces roll in

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Flip Yr Wig posted:

To be clear, and you may also mean this, what you described is also genocide.

Yes, but I think a lot of people in the thread were under the impression that we were about to witness the Rwanda type of genocide.

Undocumented Gamer
Jan 9, 2019

luxury handset posted:

you don't have to express your befuddlement in terms of "trump 5d chess master"

Everytime I see or hear someone mention the whole Chess analogy, I picture 2 tiny hands sitting behind the all white chess pieces, 1 King and all pawns. Theres no way I can see Trump playing chess is any other way.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

TulliusCicero posted:

This sounds like utter chaos in Northern Syria. US troops pulling out on some orders and others holding position, the US attempting to block the Turks from entering airspace, the Turks seeing a greenlight to begin bombardment and trying to as much as possible before the US effectively does something to stop them

Complete FUBAR

No joke - if we're unable to reverse course and this goes through, I legitimately think this is one of the things that could make Republicans senators vote to convict

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

How likely is it that remaining ISIS takes advantage of this?

Very, since a war torn power vacuum is how they took power in the first place

Also as was noted, Turkey was low key backing ISIS in the first place

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 7, 2019

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Undocumented Gamer posted:

Everytime I see or hear someone mention the whole Chess analogy, I picture 2 tiny hands sitting behind the all white chess pieces, 1 King and all pawns. Theres no way I can see Trump playing chess is any other way.

You think he had the wherewithal to actually put any of them in the right spots, or are they just kinda lying strewn about?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
At the rate this seems to be spiraling out of control I hope the DoD is already pulling out of those airbases in Turkey. Going to have another Iranian hostage crisis if they don’t.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

TulliusCicero posted:

Complete FUBAR

Christ, everything is teetering on a knifes edge for literally no reason.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Well no matter what this was probably the most stupid thing Trump could do given his already existing domestic troubles. And AGAIN it’s something he did in part because he figured he’d be universally celebrated for it in this case for Bringing the Troops Home. This is his uncontrollable ego on display in the form of an international disaster.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So Trump created an international crisis to distract from his interior one. No other way to possibly parse this. Hopefully he hosed himself on both fronts though because no one is defending this poo poo.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Rabble posted:

This is going to end in a war with Turkey.

At the very least this ends with some US troops or civilians caught in the crossfire helping the Kurds, and possibly retaliatory airstrikes from us

You can't tell me the Turks don't accidentally hit some US forces that were working with the Kurds on purpose or even on accident

This loving idiot has caused a war absolutely no one besides the genocidal loon in Turkey and the puppetmaster in Russia wanted

This is the nightmare scenario for the Middle East

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 7, 2019

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

I've never seen a world leader just come out and say "yea we're gonna do some genocide" but here we are

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

So Trump created an international crisis to distract from his interior one. No other way to possibly parse this. Hopefully he hosed himself on both fronts though because no one is defending this poo poo.

My guess is that this isn't wagging the dog; that's too much foresight. Trump is just so confused, angry and exhausted that he decided to do something big and provocative in order to feel in control of the situation.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Numlock posted:

At the rate this seems to be spiraling out of control I hope the DoD is already pulling out of those airbases in Turkey. Going to have another Iranian hostage crisis if they don’t.

Turkey is not going to attack American bases unless they have a real deathwish

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Bottom Liner posted:

I mean, I dont think he expected it to cause a crisis, he probably thought everyone would be happy that he pulled out the US soldiers. He doesn't care enough to read the reports or listen to advice about why it end up badly, I mean he is the great and wise Trump, so if his advisors say something he disagrees with, then they're just dumb and confused. He doesn't seem to have the capability to accept that the world is more complicated than the tiny portion of it he cares enough to comprehend

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It appears that literally no one on any side knows what the gently caress is going on on the ground. US troops are in some areas still denying Turkish use of airspace, other places are being reported as bombed but actually aren’t, the Department of Defense has absolutely no plan for what to do and are scrambling to get a clear picture on what’s happening and Turkey is moving forward as fast as possible without any rhyme or reason to try and get ahead of any backtracking by Trump.

Trump just created an international disaster entirely of his own making without so much as consulting anyone besides maybe Jared Kushner.

Is this about right?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The Glumslinger posted:

I mean, I dont think he expected it to cause a crisis, he probably thought everyone would be happy that he pulled out the US soldiers. He doesn't care enough to read the reports or listen to advice about why it end up badly, I mean he is the great and wise Trump, so if his advisors say something he disagrees with, then they're just dumb and confused. He doesn't seem to have the capability to accept that the world is more complicated than the tiny portion of it he cares enough to comprehend

Idk, this is a repeat of 2018, except without the last minute reversal (which happened because of the universal backlash). He must’ve known this would be a big deal.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

OctaMurk posted:

Yes, but I think a lot of people in the thread were under the impression that we were about to witness the Rwanda type of genocide.

A fascist army that lusts for Kurdish blood is amassing at a border ahead of their governments Air Force destroying supply lines and escape routes of their enemy. A bunch of Kurdish fighters are going to die and a bunch more Kurds are going to be identified as fighters and be murdered immediately, and a bunch more are going to be starved and interred.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1181304463799148544?s=21

https://twitter.com/brendannyhan/status/1181300233940209665?s=21

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This has really been a rollercoaster. For most of the day it's been the usual bemusement at this idiot at the controls, and then excitement at the fact that he's getting flak from literally everybody this time around. The Great Mattering, as it were.

But now I'm just pissed. This isn't funny anymore. Get this guy the hell out of office before it's too late. Or at least... before it gets even worse.

Edit: I know that's a very privileged way to feel. I realize it hasn't been "funny" for a lot of people a lot of the time. I'm talking more about the foreign policy side of things, which has largely been a friggin' dump truck full of red flags, but not quite such tangible, catastrophic consequences.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 7, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It appears that literally no one on any side knows what the gently caress is going on on the ground. US troops are in some areas still denying Turkish use of airspace, other places are being reported as bombed but actually aren’t, the Department of Defense has absolutely no plan for what to do and are scrambling to get a clear picture on what’s happening and Turkey is moving forward as fast as possible without any rhyme or reason to try and get ahead of any backtracking by Trump.

Trump just created an international disaster entirely of his own making without so much as consulting anyone besides maybe Jared Kushner.

Is this about right?

who realized that when trump said 'if i go to war they won't know about it in advance' he actually meant his own generals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is this about right?

Well, Turkey probably promised to investigate the Bidens.