Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Skwirl posted:

Those are definitely descriptions of successful business ventures.
"Enter their den and be dominated" certainly is a good slogan for a business involving feet and balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Roasted Donut posted:

throw this loving crap in the garbage and bring back the AAF

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Remember the first game of the XFL when, instead of having a kickoff they were gonna get all pit fighting about it and have players collide at midfield to get the ball? Then on the very first play of this game one of the guys got injured for the season?

It's even funnier now because most NFL and NCAA teams elect to defer anyway so I keep imagining that XFL scrum only with neither guy trying to pick up the ball.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Way late cause I just found the thread but I think you meant "USFL". That league was viable, had a good product and filled a niche very nicely: spring football played on Saturdays. Some idiot got it in his head to compete directly with the NFL but his name escapes me. Wonder what ever happened to that loser?

Football for a Buck is such a good book. That guy, though...competing directly with the NFL as a "fine. You won't let me buy an NFL team? Then i'll just go over here, take over this league, come up with really bad ideas, and then through the magic of lawsuits ....the NFL will merge with us and i'll be an NFL owner" was not the best move.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Football for a Buck is such a good book. That guy, though...competing directly with the NFL as a "fine. You won't let me buy an NFL team? Then i'll just go over here, take over this league, come up with really bad ideas, and then through the magic of lawsuits ....the NFL will merge with us and i'll be an NFL owner" was not the best move.

I sort of got the logic behind the thinking since that's what the AFL did way back but...the USFL model was really good as it was and the level of play (unlike the XFL) was pretty good as well. All they had to do was stay in their lane, continue bidding for high level players while inserting a salary cap and then look to gradually expand into cities without an NFL team that dug football.

I'm old enough to remember the league and "competing with the NFL" was the furthest thing from their minds when they started and the dumbest thing they could have done. They filled a void between the end of the NFL season and the start of baseball season rather well and brought football to cities that couldn't garner NFL interest (Birmingham, Jacksonville, Portland, Memphis, San Antonio) or who had lovely support (Tampa Bay, Oakland, Baltimore). It was a cool spring football league with enough big names and some really great logos and such. It was a place for the Doug Fluties of the world. If it existed today, Tim Tebow, Colin Kaepernick and guys like that would have a place to play and probably would succeed or at least generate enough interest to sell tickets.

Just look at this beautiful thing:

That's the most bad rear end helmet I've ever seen. Carolina should steal this and change the colors to black and cyan instead of that goofy clip art helmet logo they have now. Designed 35 years ago and superior to any of these XFL things.

I hate Vince McMahon with a passion, hate his PT Barnum approach to things and hope this thing crashes and burns spectacularly fast. I don't know what sort of vacuum he's trying to fill by doing this either. "where's my smash mouth football?" seems misguided.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't know what sort of vacuum he's trying to fill by doing this either. "where's my smash mouth football?" seems misguided.
"People don't know what they want, I do!"
                                            \

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I firmly believe history will remember Vince Mcmahon as a cautionary tale of having too much money. When the XFL goes down, its gonna leave a bunch of folks looking for jobs.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

coconono posted:

I firmly believe history will remember Vince Mcmahon as a cautionary tale of having too much money. When the XFL goes down, its gonna leave a bunch of folks looking for jobs.

I firmly believe he'll be the GOP nominee for president in 2024.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I dunno if God loves us enough to give us such a gift, but now I sort of hope you’re right because if anything Vince is even more soup-brained than the obese old toad in office now

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SatansOnion posted:

I dunno if God loves us enough to give us such a gift, but now I sort of hope you’re right because if anything Vince is even more soup-brained than the obese old toad in office now

Yeah, god knows someone that dumb could never be elected president.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

To my way of thinking, he's the natural progression until we get to Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.

SatansOnion posted:

And that's a good thing that you want?

I'm only half kidding about it and wish I wasn't. Vince could run and easily get at least 35% of the vote as a base right out of the box.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

my logic here is that he's already badly overexerting himself micromanaging two wrestling shows (probably three now) to death and leading a doomed vanity football league founded on the principles of "you'll stand for the anthem goddamnit". I figure that all of those and a presidential campaign should be enough to cause his heart to explode or something

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

SatansOnion posted:

my logic here is that he's already badly overexerting himself micromanaging two wrestling shows (probably three now) to death and leading a doomed vanity football league founded on the principles of "you'll stand for the anthem goddamnit". I figure that all of those and a presidential campaign should be enough to cause his heart to explode or something

You vastly underestimate the power of cocaine on a man like Vince

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

vince is rich enough to have the medical care to survive that sort of thing

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

Trump is a stupid man's smart person. He acts like an idiot in a way that makes people think he's a genius. There a think pieces upon think pieces about how he's very calculating when he's anything but.

Vince and Trump are similar, but Vince doesn't have that certain, uh... what do you call it?

Overt racism. He doesn't have the overt racism of a Donald Trump.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Trump is a stupid man's smart person. He acts like an idiot in a way that makes people think he's a genius. There a think pieces upon think pieces about how he's very calculating when he's anything but.

Vince and Trump are similar, but Vince doesn't have that certain, uh... what do you call it?

Overt racism. He doesn't have the overt racism of a Donald Trump.

https://youtu.be/APrPDwUosrQ

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

SatansOnion posted:

All the chuds I know gobble up that anthem poo poo so really Vince couldn't be setting himself up better for a run

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Vince also exercises

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/xfl2020/status/1181283279514660864

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

....do the players know?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Saqwan, Berkley Edwards

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Disappointed they couldn’t get Nyquillis Dillwad and Grunky Peep.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1179848307801284609?s=19

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Looked through the list and there's a DE named Willy Mays, hell yeah.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I’m Storm Norton

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Roberto Aguayo lol.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Jessamen Dunker is in the wrong sport

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Apparently each team will be assigned a QB pre-draft?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
I hope my team gets assigned Vad Lee because that's a hell of a name.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

yeah thats what i expected. 5 guys ive heard of

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Raysean loving Pringle. Print the shirts

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

I’m Handsome Tanielu

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

From the branding stuff that had come out before, I just assumed everyone in the XFL was going to have names like "Biff Johnson" or "Stan Hunt", and maybe one punt returner named "Reggie Dart".

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
First pick overall Al-Hajj Shabazz!
This is like Madden franchise mode after a few years where everyone in league is named Handsome Tanielu or Siupeli Anau.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Seems like "Mosling" was a pretty common auto-generated surname in Madden, which I don't think I've ever encountered irl.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Where’s he hate me?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't know but for a while this summer he was missing. Apparently he's safe and sound now

quote:

Rod Smart, the former NFL running back better known as "He Hate Me" during the original run of the XFL, has been reported missing for nearly a week, according to various reports and South Carolina police records.

The Lancaster County Sheriff's Office in South Carolina posted Tuesday a missing person advisory for Smart, requesting assistance from the public in locating the 42-year-old, who was last seen on Wednesday, June 12, in Indian Land, a suburb of Charlotte.

"It is unusual for him to be out of touch for this long," the advisory stated. "Mr. Smart's family is worried about his safety and well-being."

The Sheriff's Office said Tuesday that Smart was driving a silver 2016 Nissan Maxima at the time of his last known whereabouts, but the former undrafted Western Kentucky standout has since been declared a "missing endangered person." He was said to be living in the Charlotte area as recently as 2017, more than 10 years after his last appearance in the NFL.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ex-nfl-rb-rod-smart-aka-xfls-he-hate-me-found-safe-after-being-reported-missing-in-south-carolina/

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

BiggerBoat posted:

I sort of got the logic behind the thinking since that's what the AFL did way back but...the USFL model was really good as it was and the level of play (unlike the XFL) was pretty good as well. All they had to do was stay in their lane, continue bidding for high level players while inserting a salary cap and then look to gradually expand into cities without an NFL team that dug football.

Considering the massive, massive cash blackholes that VCs are currently keeping afloat with no viable business plan (Uber, WeWork, etc), the USFL was just 30 years ahead of its time. I guarantee if you combined the vanity appeal of being a major pro sports owner with some DISRUPTIVE buzzwords there'd be tech idiots lined up ten deep for the chance to lose billions over the first decade. Peter Thiel's Modesto Vampires Year -1 Champs

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Kevyn posted:

I’m Handsome Tanielu

He Ate Me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Korren Kirven is my favorite minor Star Wars character.