Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nitrox posted:

Luckily, they have those newly minted Russian passports.

According to Ukrainian law, they are still Ukrainian citizens, and Ukrainian citizens only. If they haven't left the region yet, they are very unlikely to leave at all. Or are you implying they should be stripped of Ukrainian citizenship and deported to Russia?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Whats killer about this is that russia is going to do the same as every other fascist nation does and just buy the regions submission by paying pensions and flooding illicit money into the oblast.

I don't think this is what fascist nations primarily do with occupied regions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Paladinus posted:

According to Ukrainian law, they are still Ukrainian citizens, and Ukrainian citizens only. If they haven't left the region yet, they are very unlikely to leave at all. Or are you implying they should be stripped of Ukrainian citizenship and deported to Russia?

I don't think this is what fascist nations primarily do with occupied regions.

Nazi germany bought czech submission before heydrich was assassinated.

Also you do realize some ukrainians in donbass had to give up their Ukraine passports just to receive pensions. They received russian passports in their place.

This isn;t the nazi occupaton of Poland. It's comparable to the nazi occupation of Czechoslovakia, Russia will need loyal domestic allies to achieve regional dominance. Ukraining factories in Mariupol are very effective. Russia wants those men to be Russian. Not dead.

Economically Ukraine could be a boon for russia. Especially if black sea traffic increases. I mean they are building a bridge to Севастополь, a highway through donbass to Crimea and Mariupol would be another investment I could forsee occuring in an annexation situation as Crimea is the key to the black sea. Mariupol is the manufacturing capital of Ukraine, The two's destinies are joined together.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 5, 2019

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Also you do realize some ukrainians in donbass had to give up their Ukraine passports just to receive pensions. They received russian passports in their place.
They don't have to give up their Ukrainian passports. Russia, unlike Ukraine, allows dual citizenship, and it's even a common complaint among certain nationalists that those traitors from Donbass get to receive two pensions using their two passports (which in reality very few people do, as it's logistically too complicated). Some people have three passports, actually, because so-called LNR and DNR also issue documents.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

This isn;t the nazi occupaton of Poland. It's comparable to the nazi occupation of Czechoslovakia, Russia will need loyal domestic allies to achieve regional dominance. Ukraining factories in Mariupol are very effective. Russia wants those men to be Russian. Not dead.
In that case, yes, I guess you could make the comparison, but I'm a bit weary of the undertone that people's loyalty is easily bought for pittance, and maybe it's specifically Donetsk and Luhansk people who are greedy and sell their motherland for a slightly higher pension, while heroic Galicians bravely fight the enemy.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hi again Friends, Russia is putting the S400 system in Europe.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
It's ok, it will only be used against missiles coming from Iran.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF_BC5KXp_U

That was a really impressive speech with a very worrying comment section.

Still how much of that was just theater from Russia?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Eschenique posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF_BC5KXp_U

That was a really impressive speech with a very worrying comment section.

Still how much of that was just theater from Russia?

Everything Lavrov ever says is meaningless bullshit

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

fatherboxx posted:

Everything Lavrov ever says is meaningless bullshit

It's not meaningless, it's just whataboutism.txt. The reason why he brings up Western imperialist behaviour is solely to justify the same behaviour by Russia.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's Putin's birthday, and I just wanted to share this cursed image with someone.

[In Ukrainian] 'Happy Birthday, Volodymir Volodymirovich! Glory to the hero!'

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The shirt he is wearing is traditional Ukrainian patterns, every region has something specific. I wonder what region that pattern is referring to...

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Paladinus posted:

I don't think Ukrainian law holds much water in occupied territories. But if Ukraine ever to reclaim the land, those who are interested, have an option of relocating.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nitrox posted:

The shirt he is wearing is traditional Ukrainian patterns, every region has something specific. I wonder what region that pattern is referring to...

Found a handy map.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I did some reading a while ago about the Crimea. How it was basically a Russian area that belonged to Ukraine. But that this was never an issue since Ukraine had been a part of Russia for a very long time. Lenin symbolically returned it to Ukraine but it was all part of the Soviet union anyway so it made no practical difference.

It was only with the breakup of the Soviet Union that we got a hard separation of Crimea from Russia which lead to a lot of today's problems.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Eschenique posted:

I did some reading a while ago about the Crimea. How it was basically a Russian area that belonged to Ukraine. But that this was never an issue since Ukraine had been a part of Russia for a very long time. Lenin symbolically returned it to Ukraine but it was all part of the Soviet union anyway so it made no practical difference.

It was only with the breakup of the Soviet Union that we got a hard separation of Crimea from Russia which lead to a lot of today's problems.

Where did you read all of this?

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

Eschenique posted:

Did you come to the point where Russia agreed to respect the current (that is inlcuding Crimea) borders of Ukraine in exchange for non-proliferation in your reading?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

true.spoon posted:

Did you come to the point where Russia agreed to respect the current (that is inlcuding Crimea) borders of Ukraine in exchange for non-proliferation in your reading?

Ahahaha nah RT didnt include that in their writeup

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

madeintaipei posted:

Where did you read all of this?

Might have been "Putin Country" :v:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Polish parliamentary elections coming up on the 13th. As usual, nothing to choose from. An online questionnaire matched me with a crusty old SLD gently caress and I’m not gonna vote for these fucks. Razem has been basically MIA for the past ~year, Wiosna is... I don’t even know wtf it’s supposed to be, and I think I’ll break my own vow to never vote for the lesser evil and go Kidawa-Blonska, though I really really really don’t want to have anything to do with the center right.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mokotow posted:

Polish parliamentary elections coming up on the 13th. As usual, nothing to choose from. An online questionnaire matched me with a crusty old SLD gently caress and I’m not gonna vote for these fucks. Razem has been basically MIA for the past ~year, Wiosna is... I don’t even know wtf it’s supposed to be, and I think I’ll break my own vow to never vote for the lesser evil and go Kidawa-Blonska, though I really really really don’t want to have anything to do with the center right.

yes for PIS
No for PIS

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Crimea is rightfully Italian clay because it was a Genoese colony long before Russia even existed as a nation.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Mokotow posted:

SLD is now SLD + Wiosna + Razem. Maybe I'm naive but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and accept that Czarzasty's SLD is different to Miller's SLD. I am not voting for KO in a million years.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

szary posted:

SLD is now SLD + Wiosna + Razem. Maybe I'm naive but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and accept that Czarzasty's SLD is different to Miller's SLD. I am not voting for KO in a million years.

Yeah, same. We sat down at home tonight and went through the matching candidates - there are some ok folks on the lefty super list, though you have to dig to find any info about them and I doubt they’ll actually get in. Beats KO, though.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cat Mattress posted:

Crimea is rightfully Italian clay because it was a Genoese colony long before Russia even existed as a nation.

The principality Moscva must never control sevastopol.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
From an earlier (curious as to when, actually) interview with Kolomoyskiy:

https://mobile.twitter.com/magutw/status/1182335215114608642

Edit: half a year ago, apparently.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 10, 2019

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

szary posted:

Razem starts from SLD's lists, but it's pretty much at its death throes. I fully expect it to merge with SLD after the elections, or become their satellite party similar to UP years before.

Gantolandon fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 10, 2019

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

OddObserver posted:

This is glorious

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Lmao two Ostap Benders

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Kolomoyskyi is so brazen about defending his own interests, you can't help but to respect him.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

What does the Russian(?) text actually say?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Belarus has russian troops amassing at the border of ukraine.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Belarus has russian troops amassing at the border of ukraine.

What is the source of this image you're linking?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Can't find anything in Russian about this. Could be an old photo from the Independence day. A couple of Russian military units participated in the parade this year, and stayed for longer, because several Belarusian units were pulled for some military exercises (Shield of the Union?) in Russia, and those Russian units took their place. At least that's what news sites say.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Exit Poles (haha) are in and while PiS, as expected, won, they haven’t actually gained any seats and it’s still possible they’ll actually be worse off. Also, rumor mill has it they lost the Senate, so the next 4 years could be much tougher for them.

Good news - the left is back in with over 11% and the turnout was the highest since the 89 vote. PSL will probably be the kingmaker now. Bad news - we also have Konfederacja in the parliament - first time an openly pro-Russian party makes it in, not counting SLD, natch.

Personal note - it was a lovely day and watching the crowds in downtown Warsaw going to vote, then for a stroll in the parks was great, seeing how on any other day everyone’s a miserable poo poo and the weather sucks.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Mokotow posted:

Good news - the left is back in with over 11% and the turnout was the highest since the 89 vote. PSL will probably be the kingmaker now. Bad news - we also have Konfederacja in the parliament - first time an openly pro-Russian party makes it in, not counting SLD, natch.

Last time Korwin had 6,1% in exit polls before getting humiliatingly brought down to 4,9%, so let's hope this lightning can strike twice.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Korwin turned pro-Russia?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Lichtenstein posted:

Last time Korwin had 6,1% in exit polls before getting humiliatingly brought down to 4,9%, so let's hope this lightning can strike twice.

Wouldn't PiSs benefit the most of all parties from Korwin falling below the threshold? Maybe it's better that they make it in and be a complete non-factor?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Aumanor posted:

Wouldn't PiSs benefit the most of all parties from Korwin falling below the threshold? Maybe it's better that they make it in and be a complete non-factor?

I honestly don't care that much about it. PiS still has the majority and I am fairly sure the dead man walking alliance of PSL and however the Kukiz clowns call themselves nowadays (a whopping 9.6%) will get devoured and assimilated by PiS to patch their numbers up. Just as it happened to the Kukiz-orbiting motley the first time around. So it'll be nice to at least have the libtards and nazis get owned.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
For the first time since she emigrated I've managed to feed my wife enough weird Polish news that she actually jumped through all the hoops to vote from abroad. Every little helps I guess.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Korwin is likely to be the senior marshal as the eldest parliamentarian, which means he’d be presiding over the Sejm’s opening session. He’s back in tv studios today, calling all other participants drunk thieves and going after Rymanowski, who moderated the morning chat show on TVN. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Korwin and all his wacky antics I'm anticipating are my silver lining to this year's election results. Well, that and the actual Left getting in, but that's beside the point.