Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

OAquinas posted:

OK, Let me see if I got the timeline right on this:

US Embassy in Turkey liked a tweet supporting Erdogan's opposition or something similar.
Erdogan flips his poo poo, because dictator
Summons the US Ambassador/Head of Mission (can't remember if trump actually bothered to fill the position properly) to vent his displeasure
This probably escalated to:
A call with Trump
The call goes badly (the officials saying Trump got rolled).
Trump, desperate to make his dictator buddy happy, decides to give him an early birthday gift and unilaterally announces we're leaving the Kurds in the wind.
Since this was an impulse decision, the Pentagon, Turkey, the Kurds, Syria, the GOP Senate--everyone is shocked as hell.
The bloodgates open.

Sound plausible/correct?

Well the last step is right on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
So who's idea was it to pull out of Syria. I'm thinking Kushner thought it'd be good to distract from the impeachment talk and would be a homerun with both sides.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Countdown till a tweet

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1181321834752626689

quote:

House Democrats are looking to prevent the whistleblower from being identified by holding the person's testimony at a remote location and potentially changing their appearance and voice.

Democrats are also weighing options to distort the whistleblower's appearance and voice, including through a video camera or audio-only testimony or by placing the person behind a screen, the Post reported.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

OddObserver posted:

Well, these days they effectively take them from (orthodox) Patriarch of Moscow's boss

Fun fact: The man who created Accelerated Christian Education (Donald Howard) was one of the early pioneers in forgeing ties between American evangelicals and the Russian Orthodox Church.

Another fun fact: The creator of Accelerated Christian Education was run out of his organization (School of Tomorrow) because of a sex scandal that went down in a Moscow hotel.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 7, 2019

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Make Ammunition Great Again!

Tuff Scrote posted:

So who's idea was it to pull out of Syria. I'm thinking Kushner thought it'd be good to distract from the impeachment talk and would be a homerun with both sides.

This was likely all Trump's doing. People did praise him for announcing the Afghanistan pullout so he thought he'd get a similar effect here.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Rabble posted:

In my clancy-universe an aide gives him a funding requisition to sign, Trump goes "what's this?", and the aide says "its so we can buy more bullets."

oh hell yeah. god knows he doesn't read a single thing he signs.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

No Safe Word posted:

I mean, that's a given because every story trump tells is a lie, ergo all of the ones where he is called "sir" are also lies.

Trump being in the spotlight 24/7 means you can really see the exaggeration feedback loop inside his brain work in real time.

Almost certainly this story began as Trump signing off on some budget that included some sort of ammunition requisition and for some reason that got lodged in his rapidly decaying grey matter and has just been bouncing around his skull, getting more and more elaborate with each circuit, until he opens his mouth and we get some story about a 700 star general pleading on his hands and knees for strong daddy Trump to please save the military, sir, we have no bullets left, sir, no bullets at all, sir.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Beat

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

FizFashizzle posted:

oh hell yeah. god knows he doesn't read a single thing he signs.

Now if only someone would do that with a letter of resignation.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Tuff Scrote posted:

Checks out, given that Kushner is also a moron with zero political instincts.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Trump says stupid poo poo like that because no one is to ever have more experience than him, better position, or more wisdom/smarts. He will lead off with a “sir” story so that it establishes that he’s the top person in the convo. He mentioned the ammo thing because he is “giving” them the ammo now, so that makes him look powerful and important.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/HuffPost/status/1181254893472010243

https://mobile.twitter.com/MLBURNEY/status/1181318888648302592

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Tuff Scrote posted:

It’s a safe bet he had something to do with it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

While everyone has eyes on Syria

https://mobile.twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1181322726843265026

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Tuff Scrote posted:

Jared thought Democrats would be happy with a Blagojevich pardon so not a bad guess

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I've been pretty firmly in "I'd rather have Trump than GW/Cheney" but man this is all hosed

On a more glib note I live in a neutralish country and my barbers, who regularly use like real razors on my neck, are Kurdish so I have to go someplace else now

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Guze posted:

Jared thought Democrats would be happy with a Blagojevich pardon so not a bad guess

He thought Dems would be happy when Trump fired Comey. That was his idea.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Trump is giving Putin such a wonderful birthday present today.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
We don’t deserve to be a world power anymore.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Don't worry, Ben Shapiro with the exculpatory masterpiece:

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1181308636099948544

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

It's mind-boggling that there are still people who scoff at the idea that he's a Russian asset.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Rabble posted:

We don’t deserve to be a world power anymore.

At this rate it won't be an issue for long

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Gatts posted:

Yeah. When it came down to it, America didn’t do anything to stand up for its ideals and let it happen.

I'm pretty sure America absolutely stood up for its ideals. These are America's ideals. Always have been.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Skex posted:

It's mind-boggling that there are still people who scoff at the idea that he's a Russian asset.

I haven’t checked in a few months now but there were until at least recently people on this very forum who do!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
https://twitter.com/KFaulders/status/1181297420510081025

Trumpy lawyers are sending legal replies to House committees in Comic Sans.

I just can't with this timeline anymore

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Yeah the military might be in a revolt against the President right now

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1181323484015861762

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

lol at these troops being sent to die for Donald Q. Trump

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
so trump really did just tweet it with no formal command? goddamn

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If you had told me Trump would get his base to turn against the military I'd have called you crazy but I guess we're going to see!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So if Trump never issued a formal command meaning the US isn’t actually withdrawing out of the region except from the immediate danger zones at the border, but at the same time Turkey assumed he did and are proceeding forward as such, that’s going to lead to an awkward situation real loving quick.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Scott Forstall posted:

lol at these troops being sent to die for Donald Q. Trump

lol imagine looking back and realizing that guys who got blown up guarding some Halliburton refinery in 2004 or whatever actually didn't have the most senseless and stupid deaths.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Did Putin decide that the impeachment is gonna happen so Trump needs to do as much damage as he can while he can?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Bottom Liner posted:

so trump really did just tweet it with no formal command? goddamn

that's pretty much how every thing has been done during this admin

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Any two bit tin pot dictator knows: you never do something so drastic you lose the military. It just never seems to end well.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Reminder that the formation of the modern Turkish state happened alongside the Armenian Genocide, where Turkey genocided probably well over a million of their Armenian citizens. Turkey denies it happened and America has refused to acknowledge it to keep on Turkey's good side.

So when people post about "obviously Turkey's going to do a genocide," that's what's being referenced.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
happy Monday, everybody

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
with this and open skies he's obv trump is just doing some weird anti-globalist, isolationist agenda but

why is the man with businesses, such as they are, around the world isolationist???

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

VH4Ever posted:

Any two bit tin pot dictator knows: you never do something so drastic you lose the military. It just never seems to end well.

Yeah, once that happens you need to sell what you can and get on the boat in Tropico.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Pellisworth posted:

Reminder that the formation of the modern Turkish state happened alongside the Armenian Genocide, where Turkey genocided probably well over a million of their Armenian citizens. Turkey denies it happened and America has refused to acknowledge it to keep on Turkey's good side.

So when people post about "obviously Turkey's going to do a genocide," that's what's being referenced.

They also said they're going to "correct demographics" so they're openly saying they're going to do genocide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Gamerofthegame posted:

with this and open skies he's obv trump is just doing some weird anti-globalist, isolationist agenda but

why is the man with businesses, such as they are, around the world isolationist???

Because he's also incredibly vain and inconsistent and there's no contradiction between him wrecking our international alliances and some strong man dictator calling him on the phone and talking about how great he is and how excited they are to have Trump Istanbul.