Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Cultural phenomenons existed in 1981

They should’ve retconned Joker into being the “where’s the beef” lady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

"Help! Society has fallen and it can't get up!"

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Scattered thoughts:

For a movie made by a guy that directed comedies and who is blatantly copying off of King of Comedy's homework, there's pretty much zero comedy here. The few "jokes" I can recall were just flat-out bad in a way that didn't seem intentional.

He also made that GG Allin documentary, which makes me wonder how much influence he had on this?

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Worldwide, $234 million on it's opening weekend. That is really surprising.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

Cultural phenomenons existed in 1981

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Why is "where's the beef" immediately what I thought of and not "nanu nanu" or whatever.

jet sanchEz posted:

Worldwide, $234 million on it's opening weekend. That is really surprising.

Not remotely surprising, this has got to be one of the most successful ad campaigns in years.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think people saying the clown revolution was unrealistic is looking at it wrong. Don't assume everything was hunky dory before the clown stuff and it just went zero to sixty just from the joker.

It makes way more sense if you get that the riots were coming either way, that the trash strike and super rats and disgusting conditions and the richest man in the city who was responsible for it all telling you he simply needed to be given more power and he could fix it had meant that at some point there was going to be a riot. Then a high profile murder of a guy that in some nonspecific way the public recognized as a bad guy involved in how bad everything was enough to be a rallying point and get everyone to wear a mask, which helped the protests get way more out of control.

Like it doesn't feel like without the murder there wouldn't have been violent protests, just that the murders changed the trajectory from flip a few cars and chant some slogans to like, burn half the city and murder the waynes.

Like imagine in the real world if someone wearing a spiderman mask killed steven bannon or Martin Shkreli or something and got away with it. Spiderman masks would instantly show up at protests after that. If there was already a mass protest going on a few days later, it absolutely could end up being the match to spark further violence.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s definitely made very clear that this Joker didn’t incite any riots or protests so much as he killed the guys on the train and as such completely lucked into becoming the face of the movement. He even admits on the Murray show that he doesn’t pay attention to any of that and he just killed them because he didn’t like them.

I’m also pretty sure it’s intentional that when he finally gets his big spotlight, he doesn’t have anything insightful to say and his complaints sum up to “people are so rude.”

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pirate Jet posted:

It’s definitely made very clear that this Joker didn’t incite any riots or protests so much as he killed the guys on the train and as such completely lucked into becoming the face of the movement. He even admits on the Murray show that he doesn’t pay attention to any of that and he just killed them because he didn’t like them.

I’m also pretty sure it’s intentional that when he finally gets his big spotlight, he doesn’t have anything insightful to say and his complaints sum up to “people are so rude.”

Yeah, it's also very intentional that the movie is never quite clear exactly who the three guys are. Just they worked for wayne. Where we can think of a million real like douchebags that the public would cheer if a vigilante killed, but what exactly they were was not important to the joker so it's not important to the movie.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Did Todd Phillips know about Bernie goetz or is this just a big coincidence

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
Pogo was John Wayne Gacy's clown name.

Overall I enjoyed it, great acting but felt the third act was kind of weak.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Pirate Jet posted:

I think it's interesting that he was a dude with mental health problems defending himself from marauders.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
How did it even get out that a clown did it? Did that woman snitch on him? He potentially saved her from getting raped! And besides, the first two guys were self-defense. It was only murder when he shot the guy fleeing.

Oh and, he totally killed the shrink at the end, right?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

How did it even get out that a clown did it? Did that woman snitch on him? He potentially saved her from getting raped! And besides, the first two guys were self-defense. It was only murder when he shot the guy fleeing.

Presumably given that she was the last person aside from Arthur to see them alive, it was less "snitch" and more "the police are going to think I did this if I don't mention that weird clown"

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Oh and, he totally killed the shrink at the end, right?

No he just walked through a puddle of red paint on the way out of her office then an orderly decided to chase him down the hallway.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I guess in my own head forecasting things that "could" happen... I sort of imagined a possible future where whenever Joker makes an inevitable escape from Arkham there is still a large portion of the city who hero-worship him. I imagine this amuses him still and the source of a great joke would be turning his violence on them since he's so far gone by that point, with the public then realising he really was just a monster all along.

Regarding people who say that he hasn't got the smarts and cunning to be the Joker... I get that, which could just be simply that it's a different take on the character again - he might just not be the type who is 10 steps ahead of everyone all the time. But on the other hand I figured that he has the potential to be a whole lot smarter and more cunning than what we see in the movie. Right from the start with the uncontrollable laughing it seemed like the Joker within Arthur was dying to get out. Arthur is socially nervous and hesitant, whereas when we get flashes of him as Joker he's dancing confidently ... how much calmer and confidently he speaks to Murray is another example. That's a guy Arthur idolises and Arthur would be a nervous mess talking to his idol. But Joker was calm and in control. So I figure while this may not be the super smart version we are used to, I think once he shakes Arthur for good and is thinking "clearer" he would come across as a much craftier villain when he's no longer being held back.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

mastershakeman posted:

It seems fairly obvious that the train scene is referencing Goetz to some extent or another.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Did that woman snitch on him? He potentially saved her from getting raped!

I mean yeah, but all they did so far was throw food at her. A real rear end in a top hat thing to do, but maybe not something she's gonna cover for a guy who brutally executed them.

Plus cameras on the subway platform.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It's easy to dismiss this as a "dumb person's idea of a smart movie" but I don't think that's really fair. Everything it does, it does competently, if not exactly original or inspired. The cinematography is good. The visual style and aesthetics are great, even if they're borrowed or an homage to Taxi Driver. Phoenix is excellent and extremely creepy and believable as the Joker. There's more than a handful of extremely effective and awesome scenes. It's also great to have a comic book film that gives the scenes room to breathe, has no dumb undermining quips, and is dark and disturbing without feeling forced grimdark, or whatever. The only other film I've seen that I feel similarly toward would be Logan.

"It has nothing to say!" Uh, it very clearly is about the dangers of letting a mentally ill person go unchecked or have inadequate access to mental health care, for starters. But it's not trying to be smart, or profound. It's just a character study/origin story, and a decent one.

This isn’t how 99% of “mentally ill” people go

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think people saying the clown revolution was unrealistic is looking at it wrong. Don't assume everything was hunky dory before the clown stuff and it just went zero to sixty just from the joker.

It makes way more sense if you get that the riots were coming either way, that the trash strike and super rats and disgusting conditions and the richest man in the city who was responsible for it all telling you he simply needed to be given more power and he could fix it had meant that at some point there was going to be a riot. Then a high profile murder of a guy that in some nonspecific way the public recognized as a bad guy involved in how bad everything was enough to be a rallying point and get everyone to wear a mask, which helped the protests get way more out of control.

Like it doesn't feel like without the murder there wouldn't have been violent protests, just that the murders changed the trajectory from flip a few cars and chant some slogans to like, burn half the city and murder the waynes.

Like imagine in the real world if someone wearing a spiderman mask killed steven bannon or Martin Shkreli or something and got away with it. Spiderman masks would instantly show up at protests after that. If there was already a mass protest going on a few days later, it absolutely could end up being the match to spark further violence.

This isn’t how 99% of protests go

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 7, 2019

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

The multiple "midget" jokes are pretty much the only ones aside from Arthur's intentionally bad ones. They got chuckles from my audience but it just seemed like crappy punching-down humor. Then there was the sliding door bit, which was just tonally bizarre.

I thought those jokes were a really good metric of what's wrong with the people sitting right next to you

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

AdmiralViscen posted:

This isn’t how 99% of protests go

Are you saying protests never have costuming or that protests never turn into violence? Because both of those things have happened repeatedly in history.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I just realized that the ending of this movie is literally just the ending from the novel Fight Club, the more I think about this movie the less I like it.

fatherboxx posted:

I think this got to be among the most stupid things said by Felix.
Lonely men rejected by society, truly an undiscovered subject in literature and movies.

Your reaction to someone saying that loneliness is a problem a lot of people struggle with because it's not something that is talked about or addressed properly being to dismiss them and tell them that it's really not a big deal and to man up because there are bigger problems out there is actually a pretty great illustration of how right he is.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Well there is the wrinkle that using clowns as a symbol of rebellion against the status quo is literally a thing that is happening right now, albeit it's something neo-nazis are doing to epically troll the normies. And it's asinine and failed horribly no matter how many Pepes in clown makeup they draw and how.many dudes in sweaty greasepaint march in straight pride parades. The only headway it's ever made is well-meaning but oblivious centrists scolding people for accusing such a common piece of iconography of being a dogwhistle, akin to the way that they were scoffing at the idea of the OK symbol being used by Nazis up to and including mass murderers flashing it in their court appearances.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Are you saying protests never have costuming or that protests never turn into violence? Because both of those things have happened repeatedly in history.

I think I explicitly did not say “never”

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I would like this movie so much more if I hadn't seen King of Comedy and Taxi Driver (and obviously really enjoyed both).

It's also hard to poo poo all over it because he really did give an all-in performance and was legit "good" for what this film is, and is acting circles around everyone else. I blame the material because DeNiro can still act when he wants and Frances Conroy played a much better and nuanced version of this character on Six Feet Under.

I still don't think it has a message or point to it whatsoever. If it just wants to live in the bleak character study category there are about a thousand films I'd choose over this one.

Some of those shots are really beautiful though (things like his little behind the curtain posturing)..The visuals far outweigh the story but not in a gimmicky way which is neat.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So other than probably being Ratman, since there's the plague of super huge rats and one ran by in the alley, is Bruce going to go full fash?
Hell, batman fights crime and robbers because a robber killed his family. In this world his first and only mission might just be to kill the poor.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I want everyone who thinks this thing is a masterpiece for its dark portrayal of an antihero to watch man bites dog.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

I want everyone who thinks this thing is a masterpiece for its dark portrayal of an antihero to watch man bites dog.

don't even have to go back that far, 3 From Hell came out like a month ago

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

don't even have to go back that far, 3 From Hell came out like a month ago

after 31 it would take a lot to get me to watch another rob zombie movie.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

mastershakeman posted:

Phillips was trying to create a not white supremacist version of the Goetz shooting.

I find it ridiculous how it took so long to pin the shooting on Arthur. He got fired for having the gun on the same day of shooting. There was that woman on the bus on who was a witness and the people who saw him leave the the station.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

The timeline with the Bruce Wayne stuff is pretty funny. Batman is gonna be out there beating the poo poo out a like 60-year old Joker I guess?
if they were going to tie this to the next Batman that's set in the 90s, they could set it up as the "Clown Riots" being a thing that happened in the past. So they could have some else other than Fleck be the Joker even though Fleck exists, so they wouldn't technically be lying when they said Phoenix wouldn't play the Joker again.

I mean, probably not, but it's fun to speculate. Just think it's odd that they're doing a bunch of DC comic movies in a row all set in the 80s and 90s, but they're not tied together?

EDIT: Even Phillips is hinting that maybe Fleck maybe inspired the "real Joker"
https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/10/07/joker-director-addresses-fan-theory-about-arthur-flecks-ties-to-batman?sf110261030=1

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Clown Heights Riot

(i'm sorry)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Sleeveless posted:

Your reaction to someone saying that loneliness is a problem a lot of people struggle with because it's not something that is talked about or addressed properly being to dismiss them and tell them that it's really not a big deal and to man up because there are bigger problems out there
They're not saying that at all, they are saying that isolation and loneliness is one of the most commonly addressed topics in film already and has been for basically forever. Go back and reread the post you're responding to.

I liked this movie a lot despite its flaws which everyone here has covered (heavyhandedness, pacing, dialogue).

Cinematography was beautiful, I loved the super saturated Carnivale style colors of the riot contrasting with the nearly black and white scene in the asylum right afterwards. The colors really reinforced the emotional undertones. Score was great.

Jokes: nobody's mentioned the physical comedy so far, I don't think. It really matched the silent movie style - when he's doing chase scenes, slipping around the corners. The water trickling out of the flower in the first scene where he gets beaten up. At the end when he's coming down the stairs in leaps and bounds, kicking around, he's so close to falling down the steps but not quite - skating on the edge just like in the silent film. Lots of imagery reinforcing this same idea of being on the edge of insanity.

I liked that the trailer included the line about his life being comedy, and we didn't know that it was at the same moment that he was murdering his mom. Ha!

I wished they had done more with visuals and audio to reflect his descent into madness after stopping meds. There was a bit of it but not nearly enough confusion imo. I wanted to feel as crazed as he did. I immediately knew that his relationship was delusion (what single woman in a city thinks it's cute that someone stalks them? what mom can find a babysitter all the time?) and so there was no shock there. I wanted longer scenes with more dialogue (although the quality of what we got was so low, maybe I don't want this?). With so little dialogue and such choppy scenes, much of the movie felt like an extended trailer.

Finally, I loved the ambiguity of the mom/Thomas Wayne relationship. It's hilarious to me that even in a Joker origin movie, we end up not knowing the Joker's origin. Perfect for the character.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Joker: class struggle, the legacy of mental illness in a family, violence as justice, a crisis of anonymity, the ease by which we can get guns, economic instability, media worship of the good billionaire

Critics: this movie had nothing to say

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 7, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Chuka Umana posted:

I find it ridiculous how it took so long to pin the shooting on Arthur. He got fired for having the gun on the same day of shooting. There was that woman on the bus on who was a witness and the people who saw him leave the the station.

Gotham police, not good at their job?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

:thunk:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Thinking back on it I kind of wish that they had delivered on Arthur's thoughts of suicide and had him actually Budd Dwyer himself on the talkshow like he had practiced or maybe be killed in the aftermath of what he's set into motion by a cop or even a fellow clown. As a serious character study it would be kind of cliche but the rest of the film is already dealing so heavily in existing tropes anyways and as a comic book movie it would have both been a great capstone on the "THIS AIN'T YOUR DADDY'S COMIC BOOK MOVIE" thesis by eschewing canon and showing that there really are no rules and nothing is sacred. Especially if they had taken it one step further and actively avoided giving you the gratification of showing Thomas and Martha Wayne getting murdered on screen for the second time in three years just so you can clap at recognizing the thing from the other thing.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

zer0spunk posted:

I think the only people calling it a masterpiece are the people who've spent the last decade watching nothing but superhero movies, and honestly I'm okay with that because maybe they'll start seeking out better films as a result.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Joker’s score and cinematography, and Phoenix’s performance, are all Pretty Good but those three things alone do not a great movie make so it’s basically coasting by on the fact that the definitive superhero franchise stopped giving a poo poo about any of those things a long time ago.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I think the only people calling it a masterpiece are the people who've spent the last decade watching nothing but superhero movies, and honestly I'm okay with that because maybe they'll start seeking out better films as a result.

Before I saw the movie I read some reviews that called it a masterpiece (I disagree) and others saying it was completely shallow (I also disagree) with nothing in between, so I really had no idea what to expect. I ended up thinking it was pretty good with some flaws. Seems like a very polarizing flick.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

DuhSal posted:

Before I saw the movie I read some reviews that called it a masterpiece (I disagree) and others saying it was completely shallow (I also disagree) with nothing in between, so I really had no idea what to expect. I ended up thinking it was pretty good with some flaws. Seems like a very polarizing flick.

I don't feel like most critics who reviewed this movie, actually reviewed the movie. They scored it against the incel fantasy they'd came up with or against nonstop explody super hero movies.

Calling it a masterpiece is kind of like calling some new movie an instant cult classic, like no, that's not how that works either.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

It managed to be cinema, art even, which puts it head and shoulders above anything ever to come out of The MCU. It wasn’t brilliant but it was pretty good.