Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well, now the follow-up question: Found a G29 down here at a... let's say reasonable price, and I'm eyeing it but I'm not really a 'racing sim guy'. I really like the Dirt Rallies (and probably because it's just me against the track, I hate Rallycross for example), but that's about it on the sim front. My other favourite 'racing' games are Burnout Paradise and ETS2, to give you an idea. :v:

Is getting a wheel still a good idea? I'm thinking I can just get it and sell it down the line after I forget it exists for a couple of months, and it's not like I'm getting a US$2000 rig, but still.

My brother and I are the two sides of the coin on this one. I got a G29 and haven't stopped using it for two and a half years (and have probably wasted $600 on iracing as a result), while he also got a G29 and immediately lost interest in it.

Euro Truck Sim is 100x more fun on a wheel though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I feel like you'd need the wheel mounted upward and a suicide knob on it for ETS/ATS.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Yeah, a friend of mine lent me his G25 a couple years ago (just as Rally 1 launched), I played with it a couple of times then went :effort: every time I had to take it out of the box and set it up.

I do have the space to rig something up and while leave it not permanent, at least have way faster access to it.

To be 100% honest, I'm pretty sure I won't use it enough to get my money's worth of it, but I'm kinda banking on selling it down the line and making most of the money back (my country's a shithole and prices for this kind of stuff are probably gonna skyrocket after the elections), so I'd be... renting it? :v:

/ninja edit: Rally 1 did feel amazing with it, even if I went from somewhat competent times to being an utter disaster (thought I know that's the norm when using a wheel for the first time). I don't remember playing a lot of ETS2, come to think of it.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 27, 2019

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

ETS2 with a wheel allows you to do realistic dangerous stuff like watch a football game or send texts while driving with all of the realistic consequences of destroying a family of four ahead of you.

I suppose you can do that without a wheel, but it doesn’t capture the same horror of looking back to the road and shouting “OH gently caress” and slamming on the brakes.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

The number of virtual families I have manslaughtered while texting while driving in trucksim would make Stalin jealous

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Those assholes deserve it for pulling out in front of me and slowing down.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Well, poo poo, I debated too long and the wheel is gone. Guess the decision was made for me. Alas.

Otoh, the setup I had in mind wouldn't have worked, so I'm not sure I would have been able to leave it there on a permanent basis.

Back to Dirt chat, after playing the intro championship and winning it with like a minute lead time every stage, I went to play another with the Alpine A110 (had to buy it, it was my favourite car in 1) and ended up placing 29 on the first stage. I forgot how RWD want to rip my head off and then go on to murder my family I guess.

Goos news is, after 2 events of placinf between 25-15 I just placed first on Hawke's Bay, guess I'm getting used to this baby again.

So, question: any setup guides for the A110? I've been checking around and haven't been able to find a single one, even for Dirt 1, and tbh I'm dumb as a bag of bricks when it comes to setups so doing it myself is way out of my league.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Spent three hours trying to figure out why Dirt Rally 2 would freeze for half a second about every 5 minutes, going so far as to update my BIOS (which was really outdated so kinda happy about that), only to figure out that it was the combination of allowing background downloads in Steam and Destiny 2 checking every 5 minutes if it's released yet :haw:

Edit: Also, WRC8 is pretty good imo, I didn't like 7 at all.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 29, 2019

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
In case I can interest people new to iRacing: this race is in 2 hours from this post, preseason before a 10 week series, no better time to Get In if you're new

Vando posted:

First Gooncar with new Skip damage model on Sunday, usual time, check your league sessions etc.

Non-championship race because I'm going to test a new caution idea: 50 lap race, 1 standard caution at half distance, cautions only occur when a wreck causes over 50% of the field to be a lap or more down on the leader (all admin controlled). Everyone -1L gets that lap back under yellow, everyone -2L gets back to -1L (this is the bit that needs testing, may change on the fly).

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I've been reluctant to buy Dirt Rally 2 because of the season pass shenanigans, but lo and behold, the basic version dropped on Xbox Game Pass today. Time to give it a go!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sulphagnist posted:

I've been reluctant to buy Dirt Rally 2 because of the season pass shenanigans, but lo and behold, the basic version dropped on Xbox Game Pass today. Time to give it a go!

How are you finding it? I’ve been enjoying it so far. Found the step up from FWD to the Group A cars pretty tough. I can still win stages but I’m not anywhere near as dominant as I was before in the FWD cars.

I skipped Group B 4WD because gently caress that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Red_Fred posted:

How are you finding it? I’ve been enjoying it so far. Found the step up from FWD to the Group A cars pretty tough. I can still win stages but I’m not anywhere near as dominant as I was before in the FWD cars.

I skipped Group B 4WD because gently caress that.

In the first game, I found the Group B cars easier to handle than the modern cars.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I finally finished (more or less anyway) my Dorkmobile that doesn't go anywhere.

Based it on the RS1 DIY from Ricmotech and just made a few changes here and there. Still needs some adjusting and retouching in a few spots but so far I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Also the Fanatec CSL is like an order of magnitude better than the T300. Like I knew it was supposed to be an improvement but :drat:

TremorX fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 7, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nice! I call mine the dorkthrone, so your name for yours is on-brand

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
idk if this is the right thread but I just wanted to say that Grid is really loving bad.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Wooper posted:

idk if this is the right thread but I just wanted to say that Grid is really loving bad.

Aw man, that's a shame. What's so bad about it?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I had my eye on it as well, but from what I gather: AI is bad, difficulty has three "easy" settings and one "impossible" setting, career mode is barebones, not enough tracks.

Edit: Stumbled upon the box with my PS2 stuff recently while digging in the cellar and decided to see where emulation is at, so I've been playing a lot of Gran Turismo 4 in 4K on my PC recently :) Also SSX.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 8, 2019

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

That pretty much sums it up. If you just want to slam into other cars it's fun but that gets old really, really fast. Which is a shame because it's absolutely gorgeous and runs fantastic cranked up, even at full 4K.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
My problem with Grid is that the handling feels really fuckin wacko. Pretty sure it's a bug, but in every car under straight heavy braking the car will pull to the right. Handy when you've got a right-handed curve up ahead, but not so great when you've got a left turn ahead. I've messed with calibration and it shows my controller as being stock still. I expect the Grid series to have non-realistic handling but this feels a lot different than I remember the original or even Autosport handling.

The UI is terrible in a lot of places as well. Pretty sure I'm going to refund the purchase because it's just...not fun.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Pretty telling that Jimmy broadbent couldn't get through a 3 hour stream playing career mode, and switched off early.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's like Codemasters have firmly established the more sim-oriented side of things as their comfort zone at this point with the direction of Dirt Rally and the F1 series, and every time they try to go back to the more arcade side of things like with Dirt 4 and Grid they just end up soiling themselves.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

I really wanted it to be good because I put a shitload of time into Grid/Grid 2

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Can anyone tell me from these photos what equipment the wheel and pedals are ? The boxes in one photo say thrustmaster. I can't tell if those are thrustmaster pedals or not. They look like billet aluminum parts or atleast CNC machined stuff.

My friend bought a cargo trailer and it came with a dozen or so of these. He said he'd sell them for $1250cad which is around $950 usd.

The chair itself without a wheel, shifter or pedals is $650usd new, + shipping.

Other than having a clutch pedal is that wheel setup much better than my Busch league Driving Force GT wheel ?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Them is TH pedals and wheels. Ask him about the warthog hotas for me.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Not sure on the wheel I can't tell from the front view.. the pedals are def t3p pros

Yes the pedals are amazing unknown on wheel if it's a t150.

You can buy a $10 adapter to make those pedals USB.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 13, 2019

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

tater_salad posted:

Not sure on the wheel I can't tell from the front view.. the pedals are def t3p pros

Yes the pedals are amazing unknown on wheel if it's a t150.

You can buy a $10 adapter to make those pedals USB.

I'd say it is a T150, and the pedals are actually pretty good and with a couple of (easy!) mods very good. You read that, Fanatec? EASY mods, unlike the mods you sell for your own pedals which are NOT EASY!

After that meltdown: if someone in europe (else I assume shipping is a no-go) is interested in a T150 with pedals and Ferrari F1 rim....I'm looking to get rid of mine, as it's too good to collect dust.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s a big upgrade over your driving force GT

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So do you think it's worth the $300 premium over a new cockpit if that stuff is included ?

Why do the pedals need a usb adapter ? Are they meant to plug into their own wheel with a proprietary plug or something ?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thrustmaster pedals plug into thrustmaster wheelbases, then the wheelbase has a usb that goes to your computer. If you’d like to use the pedals standalone, you need the little adapter to convert them to USB. If you use the wheelbase, you don’t need the adapter.

Judging by Google image search, those wheels are thrustmaster T500rs wheels, which were the top of the line that thrustmaster made and are extremely nice wheels. The new version is the T-GT wheel. The t500 was a $600 wheel when new and will still be extremely nice.

Honestly, I’d say $950 isn’t a great deal but it’s not a terrible deal either? Inspect all of it for wear and damage, since there are a ton of rigs there I’m going to guess these were used in an arcade setting. We all know how arcade equipment gets treated.......

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 13, 2019

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Yeah I was going to say, I've got a T500RS and those are identical to it. It's a pretty fuckin good wheel, sure it's a bit old but it's still really good and can also be used on the PS4

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Thrustmaster pedals plug into thrustmaster wheelbases, then the wheelbase has a usb that goes to your computer. If you’d like to use the pedals standalone, you need the little adapter to convert them to USB. If you use the wheelbase, you don’t need the adapter.

Judging by Google image search, those wheels are thrustmaster T500rs wheels, which were the top of the line that thrustmaster made and are extremely nice wheels. The new version is the T-GT wheel. The t500 was a $600 wheel when new and will still be extremely nice.

Honestly, I’d say $950 isn’t a great deal but it’s not a terrible deal either? Inspect all of it for wear and damage, since there are a ton of rigs there I’m going to guess these were used in an arcade setting. We all know how arcade equipment gets treated.......

Ooh thats a good point. And this guy basically bought the trailer at auction and it happened to have all this stuff inside. He's a good friend and trustworhy but he will have to ship it from coastal BC to Northern Alberta which means i cant really test it beforehand and if something doesnt work I'll have to play the shipping game.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

jonathan posted:

Ooh thats a good point. And this guy basically bought the trailer at auction and it happened to have all this stuff inside. He's a good friend and trustworhy but he will have to ship it from coastal BC to Northern Alberta which means i cant really test it beforehand and if something doesnt work I'll have to play the shipping game.

Ask if he will give me a deal on the warthog hotas in as-is condition.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

So I'm looking at cockpits, but I have a few concerns. Most of the good ones seem to ship from Europe, but I live in the states. I have a pretty decent budget, but VAT + Shipping destroys all hope.

Ideally what I'm looking for is something to accommodate my already existing setup (Fanatec CSW 2.5 + v3 Pedals), but I'd really like the option to upgrade to a pretty beefy DD in the future (I'm looking at you SC 2). Most rigs that seem to be prefabbed for CSW 2.5's don't seem to hold up very well when paired with a good DD base from the reviews I've read.

What kind of options would I be looking at for a budget around $2000 including VAT and shipping? Is there anything?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

osker posted:

Ask if he will give me a deal on the warthog hotas in as-is condition.

he says "it comes with airplane and helicopter controls"

I don't think I'd need it and could ship it to you. what does it do ?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
The chopper control is probably just a riser tube extension for the joystick and maybe some sort of gimbal limiter, but I don't mess around with choppers, I just want to get rid of my saitek hotas.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Mux posted:

So I'm looking at cockpits, but I have a few concerns. Most of the good ones seem to ship from Europe, but I live in the states. I have a pretty decent budget, but VAT + Shipping destroys all hope.

Ideally what I'm looking for is something to accommodate my already existing setup (Fanatec CSW 2.5 + v3 Pedals), but I'd really like the option to upgrade to a pretty beefy DD in the future (I'm looking at you SC 2). Most rigs that seem to be prefabbed for CSW 2.5's don't seem to hold up very well when paired with a good DD base from the reviews I've read.

What kind of options would I be looking at for a budget around $2000 including VAT and shipping? Is there anything?

Maybe look into Obutto? When I bought mine, they had a US supplier in WA state.

Build-wise, it's a heavyass pile of steel. I don't have a DD wheel, but a cursory google shows people with Accuforce wheels saying it's rock solid, which I can easily believe.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Mux posted:

If you are handy with a drill and a chop saw you can make a beefy cockpit out of 8020 extruded aluminum profiles. Ordered a racing car seat from summit and the whole things was pretty loving cheap.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

osker posted:

If you are handy with a drill and a chop saw you can make a beefy cockpit out of 8020 extruded aluminum profiles. Ordered a racing car seat from summit and the whole things was pretty loving cheap.

Are there any plans on the internet available for this? I'm familiar with 8020 but not designing with it. I would hop all over that if I could just follow someone else's plans and buy list.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also where are you guys finding “cheap” 8020?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Mr. Powers posted:

Are there any plans on the internet available for this? I'm familiar with 8020 but not designing with it. I would hop all over that if I could just follow someone else's plans and buy list.

Just break out your power tools, get drunk/stoned and see what feels right.

Jim: I troll craigslist and maker spaces/college labs with half-assed CNC machine projects.