Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ZincBoy posted:

I am currently in the process of trying to get my Spec E46 race car down to weight. Currently 150lbs overweight. Going though it and removing everything I can while still remaining class legal. Pulled out the drivers side headlight and saw something odd:

3 pounds of marbles. At some point I must have picked up a rock or something on the tire and it punched a hole in the plastic wheel well liner. Will have to figure out how to prevent that in the future.

On a related note, anyone have non-projector halogen headlights for a 2002 330CI that they would be willing to trade for factory xenon projectors? The halogens are a few pounds lighter and I think I will need to find every pound.

Are you running the coupe or a sedan? I thought it was fairly easy to get SE46s to hit the minimum weight...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Phone posted:

Are you running the coupe or a sedan? I thought it was fairly easy to get SE46s to hit the minimum weight...

Coupe. One of the issues it that I have kept the heater core as I have many track days in the spring/fall in Canada. Still that is only 20-30lbs added weight so I am not sure where the extra lbs are. I didn't acid dip the chassis so there are a number of lbs in sealant there. I have removed all of the sound deadening tar that I can get to.

Still need to fully gut the doors. Have removed the glass and regulators but still need to cut out the rest of the structure and the cross bars. Also still running the factory battery. Can probably drop 50lbs there.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
First auto cross of the year today. In September. :negative:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Crustashio posted:

That's about what we've found. They're sharp, but overheat them and they don't come back without backing off. I much prefer the NT01 for W2W, it drives the same 2 minutes in or 2 hours in.

We also settled on pretty low pressures, MUCH lower than what the internet said. NT01 target is about 34-36 hot, RC1s we had down to high 20s. Started with what the internet said and it was awful.

How did you find the wear? I drove 2.5hr yesterday and the things are past the upper level of the nipple which makes me think they won't last as long as the NT01 :smith:

From my logs it looks like they do about the same cornering grip but I was able to get more out of the brakes.

I also ran them at 34 hot, I will try lower in October.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 22, 2019

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BlackMK4 posted:

How did you find the wear? I drove 2.5hr yesterday and the things are past the upper level of the nipple which makes me think they won't last as long as the NT01 :smith:

I also ran them at 34 hot, I will try lower in October.

With the pressures we were running, wear was good but the out edges cord long before the middle is worn. We're pretty sure the low pressures are the reason for this, but we just couldn't get them to work any other way. If you can get even wear across the tread I actually think they'd outlast NT01 no problem. My track is brutal on tires though. A 3hr enduro will basically use up 75% of an NT01 on the front left.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Struts in the front or a double wishbone?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I had the same experience with outer third wear even at the pressure I was running. Same amount of camber that I was running with the NT01 (-3.75/-3.25), I also ended up with much more front wear than rear but Chuckwalla is very much a faster momentum track where you're leaning on the front in a lot of corners

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Phone posted:

Struts in the front or a double wishbone?

Double wishbone, 90s honda chassis. NT01s wear basically perfect and can run them until there are no lines left.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Not much to see, a very boring lap but here is the 59. TT5 lap record is a 2:01, TT4 is a 1:54.960. Kinda tempted to just buy a set of Hoosiers when the time comes and take a good shot at it. Probably need more power for TT4, but you never know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL79K9oJV6w

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 23, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Second day of NASA NE Watkins Glen HPDE today! Hoping to be moved up to group 2.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Two questions:

- What's a good Pixel 3 phone mount that will pass tech and stop the phone from smacking me in the head during the bus stop

- What's the best high temp brake fluid for a Focus RS? I'm starting to fade by the end of the day.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Castrol SRF is the best fluid you can buy as a normal person. I found a chart of fluids and the costs. I found a big chart for reference and threw it in a doc

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13Ac-svDcQqpZh_prSbVaNQm3Qx_a2532821Npfjv7pI/edit?usp=drivesdk

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

:cheers:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
For the future, keep in mind that pads fade too, especially on a car with power. It feels like a stiff pedal.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 6, 2019

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Wrar posted:

Castrol SRF is the best fluid you can buy as a normal person. I found a chart of fluids and the costs. I found a big chart for reference and threw it in a doc

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13Ac-svDcQqpZh_prSbVaNQm3Qx_a2532821Npfjv7pI/edit?usp=drivesdk

Saved, that's a handy chart.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've always just used whatever brake fluid is cheap in a bigass bottle at Autozone, which is usually Prestone.

Spec minimum dry boiling point on it is only 470 deg. :stare: I had no idea there was that much of a range in brake fluid.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

For the future, keep in mind that pads fade too, especially on a car with power. It feels like a stiff pedal.

Yep, I'm familiar with glassed pads. The pads need to be replaced anyways just from wear, but the OEM compound is actually pretty good. This is definitely billing fluid.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

SRF is $$$$ and probably gross overkill. Fresh ATE TYP200 is only $$ and almost always enough. If you feel the need to splash out on this Motul 600 or 660 is an in-between option.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
TYP200 is a great track day fluid and Good Enough for most purposes.

Jegs also has a fluid with better specs that is even cheaper than TYP200.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 7, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Wrar posted:

Jegs also has a fluid with better specs that is even cheaper than TYP200.
Which one is that?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If I had to guess, it's their store brand DOT4 at $4 per 12oz bottle. $11 shipping hurts it a bit but if I'm ever ordering anything else from them I'll start throwing some bottles of that on top.

Otherwise looks like getting ATE Type 200 from AutohausAZ might be the best bet.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

What is everyone using to speed up bleeding? I've heard of speedbleeders and the Motive power bleeder so I was wondering if there was something else that was good.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KillHour posted:

Second day of NASA NE Watkins Glen HPDE today! Hoping to be moved up to group 2.

Did I ask you what exhaust you were running?

The Glen was fun as always but I didn’t get out as many sessions as I wanted to because we were short on volunteers. Overall great weekend and even had a “fun” opposite lock moment in the bus stop.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

net work error posted:

What is everyone using to speed up bleeding? I've heard of speedbleeders and the Motive power bleeder so I was wondering if there was something else that was good.
I've never had speedbleeders on a track car but can recommend the various power bleeders on the market. The suction ones that attach to the bleed nipples are good but I prefer using a pressure bleeder backwards, pushing fresh fluid up from the calipers to the master cylinder.

Picked up a Van Diemen RF78 yesterday that's nearly race ready. Belts, re-pour seat, battery, fluids, tires and setup then it'll be ready to go. Already have the belts, seat kit, battery and tires. Can't wait to get this thing on track.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 7, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Did I ask you what exhaust you were running?

The Glen was fun as always but I didn’t get out as many sessions as I wanted to because we were short on volunteers. Overall great weekend and even had a “fun” opposite lock moment in the bus stop.

Nope, must have been someone else. I was number 89 with a stock exhaust and NY plates. Were you talking to the guy with Farm Use plates?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
For anyone with extra cash to spend this fall, or who wants to nudge nudge their SO at options for holiday presents this year, ChillOut Systems has $1000 off their first-gen system updated to version 2:
https://www.chilloutsystems.com/products/quantum-cooler-refirbished-version-1-0-updated-to-2-0

I've tried one of those systems out in person and by god are they amazing. 40 degree water temps from a single unit feeding two shirts, when it's 105 in the shade? So much more effective over longer periods than an ice-based system.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Buy new car, track it before the plate arrives. This is how it's done correct?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My man. Fine choice.

e: I see Moss/Smedegard turbo K24 S2000 in the background :v:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 7, 2019

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

My man. Fine choice.

e: I see Moss/Smedegard turbo K24 S2000 in the background :v:

You sure did:

My much less cool car is a 2013 brz, fbo, e85 tune. 57cr gramlights w 245/40/17 rs4. Wasn't expecting to run it this year, but a friend of a friend gave me his beginner hpde ticket so I had to give it a shot. Once I was confident it wasn't going to break, it was very fun!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Post some more pics of your car :) Power/weight? Are you also DDing it?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Post some more pics of your car :) Power/weight? Are you also DDing it?

Yeah it will be my summer car. It's somewhere in the 190-200whp range w the parts and tune. I'm going to install an oil cooler next spring and just drive the poo poo out of it. It's my rwd training wheels. If I really fall in love with it I could see going deeper on prep but we will see.

It needs to be washed and detailed, I spent the whole week doing a bunch of maintenance including swapping plugs and coils. gently caress doing plugs on this car!

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah it will be my summer car. It's somewhere in the 190-200whp range w the parts and tune. I'm going to install an oil cooler next spring and just drive the poo poo out of it. It's my rwd training wheels. If I really fall in love with it I could see going deeper on prep but we will see.

It needs to be washed and detailed, I spent the whole week doing a bunch of maintenance including swapping plugs and coils. gently caress doing plugs on this car!

Very nice car. I did not have the nerve to track before plates. Or after :negative:

Once it's paid off though!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
A guy who did a HPDE at VIR oil starved his. https://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/23900K/10002/-1 Oil accumulator kit.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

net work error posted:

Motive. Get the one with the swivel fitting (or buy your own swivel fitting). It's incredibly easy and you can bleed brakes solo. When I tracked my M3 a lot I did it everytime I swapped pads, it only added about 10-15min.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Crustashio posted:

Motive. Get the one with the swivel fitting (or buy your own swivel fitting). It's incredibly easy and you can bleed brakes solo.

So much this. I know 1000 track day bros who use a motive, a handful who use the two-person method and 0 who use anything else.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KillHour posted:

Nope, must have been someone else. I was number 89 with a stock exhaust and NY plates. Were you talking to the guy with Farm Use plates?

It might have been the Farm Use guy yeah. I have the Red LE RS.

Does anyone know of a good electric pit bike that will fit in a hatch? Would be nice to not deal with walking around some of these bigger paddocks. Especially for me since I tend to forget poo poo and have to double back often.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
How "bad" of an idea is it to go from autocross to trying something like Chump/Lemons? I currently have a Boxster Spyder as my "fun" car, which isn't really ideal for HPDEs. I'd like to get more time on the track, and some day may see myself getting in to Spec Miata, but I need extra car space before that. Are newbie Arrive and Drives at Lemons/Chump car a thing?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Residency Evil posted:

How "bad" of an idea is it to go from autocross to trying something like Chump/Lemons? I currently have a Boxster Spyder as my "fun" car, which isn't really ideal for HPDEs. I'd like to get more time on the track, and some day may see myself getting in to Spec Miata, but I need extra car space before that. Are newbie Arrive and Drives at Lemons/Chump car a thing?

Arrive and drives are probably the best way to do cheap endurance racing. You’re going to need your own gear (suit, gloves, boots, underwear, Hans, etc) which will cost at least 1500 or so to just get into a car.

Expect at least $2k on the low end for arrive and drive (and walk away) for a few driving stints, but don’t get sticker shock if some teams are asking $4k or 5k a weekend for ~4-6 hours in the car. Expect more from teams who are explicit about you walking away from the weekend owing nothing and less from teams who say that you’re on the hook for putting it into the wall/another car.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Why isn't a Boxster ideal for an HPDE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Putting an 80k car into a wall feels bad?