Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, we usually get a couple of Teras as well. Enormu almost always brings a fraction of his collection as well to NY, which is fun.

NY is known for having yakkai DVs in many circles, and that rep is fair. We def have a Tiger pit, and while the main theater they usually give us wasn’t available to us for 5th Live (because of Toy Story and a Film Festival), a bunch of my friends went out of their way to keep the show pretty wild in a fun way (they broke out a UO parasol ala Maware for Marine Border Parasol, threw balloons, paper airplanes, and bubbles during Next Sparkling, etc). NY DVs are always a fun time, and our UO graveyards are always massive.

Wow, I might go up there for one sometime then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

To be more precise, it's not like I can pick out a single voice when everyone is singing at one. What I meant was more akin to how LL members generally get a line or two to themselves amidst the simultaneous singing. And even then without video I sometimes get confused, even after all the Muse music I've listened to. Like I sometimes blank on Umi or Eli or even Maki in Start Dash.

Oh, sure, I was getting sidetracked into 'what the game does' (which doesn't have much to do with anything tbf). In that sense I don't think any of the Million Live group songs have canon singers for any solo lines that exist probably for exactly the reason that they can then just have any number of singers doing whichever part at performances.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
As far as DVs go I ended up attending ones in Fairfax, VA because a friend was living in Alexandria for a while, and we'd heard middling things about the one in DC proper. I really like the Fairfax crowd 'cause while there are some folks who get a little yakkai, it's never been as extreme as the behavior I hear from NYC. I ended up joining their regional server and meeting up with them a few times as I'm in the area. If/when DVs for like, Bandori/LL crop up again, Fairfax is maybe a little out of the way, but it's a low to lowish yakkai level experience with a lot of passion in the calls and all.

Leos Klein
Mar 11, 2011

ALL HAIL CARDIEL

The new Lovelive game is out!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
loving everyone's pulling URs in the Discord.

I hate them all.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
5% is a pretty generous rate, compared to other games.

I didn't get any either.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

graybook posted:

As far as DVs go I ended up attending ones in Fairfax, VA because a friend was living in Alexandria for a while, and we'd heard middling things about the one in DC proper. I really like the Fairfax crowd 'cause while there are some folks who get a little yakkai, it's never been as extreme as the behavior I hear from NYC. I ended up joining their regional server and meeting up with them a few times as I'm in the area. If/when DVs for like, Bandori/LL crop up again, Fairfax is maybe a little out of the way, but it's a low to lowish yakkai level experience with a lot of passion in the calls and all.

Is there a site that has schedules for DVs in the US?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Chill la Chill posted:

The official websites/social media for LL or Bandori generally post information about DV screenings (ex: http://www.lovelive-anime.jp/uranohoshi/worldwide/5thlive2.php), you just need to pay attention to them around when an actual live is happening. It's usually that there will be one or two designated days with NA screenings, and for specific showtimes you need to check with the specific theater.

I remember hearing that Bandori is no longer doing NA delayed viewings though?

e:
also, here's an itabag that I made, I linked this in discord a little while back, but forgot to post it in the thread until now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJKgT6Edf_E
there's source code and build info links in the YT video description if you are into that kind of thing.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 27, 2019

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

KariOhki posted:

5% is a pretty generous rate, compared to other games.

I didn't get any either.

Oh, I was just angry cause I was at work + unable to play.

My account pulled UR Umi with the free single pull and then UR Nozomi and Kotori on my second 10-pull (first 10-pull was minimum wage).

So I got 3 URs in 21 pulls which isn't so bad.

It's not Chubbs tiers of luck, and I don't have a single Aqours UR, but Umi herself graced me so I can't go with another account.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

What astro said. The next likely one would probably be for the Love Live Fest, probably sometime early February for us. I'll ping you when something's known for sure.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if Nijigasaki 1L gets a DV, considering it got a gaijin lottery pack.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Oh yeah, I forgot that was happening. Yeah, seems likely. So that might happen right around the new year over here.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

astr0man posted:

I remember hearing that Bandori is no longer doing NA delayed viewings though?

That was what I had heard as well, via tweet from Lucia Hunter, who works at Bushiroad. I had heard that Azoland (which is the company that does the DVs here in NA, both LL and Bandori as well as other animu related movies) had tried to push Bandori too fast, especially with DVs on two consecutive weekends, which I can understand is a pretty big ask for some people especially with travel costs and time to the theaters as well as ticket costs, though the structure of Bandori DVs, with separate shows on different days, pretty much makes that inevitable.

I went to all 4 Bandori DVs that they brought over, and NY had a decent crowd as always, but the final PoPiPa one was admittedly pretty sparse (it also happened to be Katsucon weekend, so a bunch of people were down at Fairfax instead of at Village East).

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

GhostStalker posted:

That was what I had heard as well, via tweet from Lucia Hunter, who works at Bushiroad. I had heard that Azoland (which is the company that does the DVs here in NA, both LL and Bandori as well as other animu related movies) had tried to push Bandori too fast, especially with DVs on two consecutive weekends, which I can understand is a pretty big ask for some people especially with travel costs and time to the theaters as well as ticket costs, though the structure of Bandori DVs, with separate shows on different days, pretty much makes that inevitable.

I went to all 4 Bandori DVs that they brought over, and NY had a decent crowd as always, but the final PoPiPa one was admittedly pretty sparse (it also happened to be Katsucon weekend, so a bunch of people were down at Fairfax instead of at Village East).

I actually skipped out on part of Katsucon so I could go to the Popipa one, haha.

Somehow though I've always felt like one of the mistakes that was made was spreading to so many theaters with the Hakodate Unit Carnival DV, since it was a shorter-duration program; I definitely recall a bit of scaling back from that, which I thought was really unfortunate since that's the briefest DV I've been to. Was it great? Yes, for sure, but just about any other performance DV has been longer.

Man, I really want a Rausch und/and Craziness DV. :<

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

graybook posted:

I actually skipped out on part of Katsucon so I could go to the Popipa one, haha.

Somehow though I've always felt like one of the mistakes that was made was spreading to so many theaters with the Hakodate Unit Carnival DV, since it was a shorter-duration program; I definitely recall a bit of scaling back from that, which I thought was really unfortunate since that's the briefest DV I've been to. Was it great? Yes, for sure, but just about any other performance DV has been longer.

Man, I really want a Rausch und/and Craziness DV. :<

I think Hakodate was the only DV that Boston ever got, and all other ones they’ve had to come down to NY and be in the periphery of the Tiger Pit here at Village East in NY.

And if you were at Fairfax for PoPiPa, then I think most of our Tigers were there too, including most of the people behind Aniparty.

Agreed with wanting more Bandori DVs. I still hold out hope it’ll happen soon, but unfortunately it doesn’t look like it will.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

GhostStalker posted:

I think Hakodate was the only DV that Boston ever got, and all other ones they’ve had to come down to NY and be in the periphery of the Tiger Pit here at Village East in NY.

And if you were at Fairfax for PoPiPa, then I think most of our Tigers were there too, including most of the people behind Aniparty.

Agreed with wanting more Bandori DVs. I still hold out hope it’ll happen soon, but unfortunately it doesn’t look like it will.

Yeah, I believe I saw a few of them around at Katsu, but I don't know that crowd myself. Isn't Midnight Aeria one of them? I gave him my Popipa postcard.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

What astro said. The next likely one would probably be for the Love Live Fest, probably sometime early February for us. I'll ping you when something's known for sure.

Ok thanks. I’ll have a king blade soon so that’ll be fun if I can make it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

graybook posted:

Yeah, I believe I saw a few of them around at Katsu, but I don't know that crowd myself. Isn't Midnight Aeria one of them? I gave him my Popipa postcard.

He isn’t a DJ with them, but hangs out with them a lot at their shows, yeah.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Wow, I'm just realizing this now, but Chihaya doesn't seem like that good of a person.

I read through 1200 posts, and this is a perfectly acceptable reward.

I remember making fun of Can't's dislike for the song and jokingly threatening to use it as an alarm clock when I stayed over at his hotel in AX for a night; I now know that I was a petulant child who knew nothing of true terrors, and that I was but an fool bolstered by the blissful bravado bestowed upon me by my own ignorance. I'm sorry Can't. I hope you can forgive me.

Anyways I don't think I need to go on about how much I hated that loving segment when my DIscord posts tell the full tale so I'll leave it at that.

Worst episode in the history of mankind, -10000000000000000000000000/100, I want to cry.

Yes.

Polsy posted:

Slides where you have to move the spot the notes are going to land on instead of just following the notes with your finger is neat to watch but yeah, I wouldn't want to have to figure it out on the fly myself.

The higher levels in restage require a certain level of memorization, thankfully this is helped by the fact that there's no stamina system, so you can just mash your face into it until you remember.

I didn't actually recognize those as slides until I saw a video of someone else playing, though. It's a really interesting system, but it's definitely hard as hell. It is pretty rewarding when you get something like a tap note followed by a whole screen full of things that'll play themselves though — just listening to the tap sounds is kinda fun.

Polsy posted:

I still wonder why they still do this - you can see in any of the games that the songs are choreographed for them to have two free hands but they always have to do it one-handed in the live performances. Maybe partly because it's the established thing for them now.

While you can sometimes pick out voices even when the whole group is singing, in the game, I suspect this is an effect of careful volume boosting which you probably couldn't practically reproduce in a live performance. Though, that doesn't help if you don't recognise most of the voices in the first place, anyway. Even more so if you don't acually like the song.

It depends on who's singing. There are quite a few voices that I can pick out pretty easily because they're distinctive in some manner or another, but for maybe 1/2 of the cast I'd have no drat clue unless I was staring at the MV to see who was in focus.

Also, the choreography for a lot of the MVs is what the backdancers are doing in the lives. I haven't seen too many of them recently, but there used to be people who'd make a 4-frame video of a couple of lives and the MV to compare (and for whatever reason Columbia's totally cool with people having videos of various lives on youtube, so if you were feeling particularly eager you could poke around and find them yourself), and the in-game MVs are usually some combination of a) a specific live and b) backdancer's hand motions. It's pretty neat!

I assume the handheld mics are some combination of tradition and aesthetic. I rather like them. It feels more singer-ish than a headset mic or something.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Zenostein posted:

It depends on who's singing. There are quite a few voices that I can pick out pretty easily because they're distinctive in some manner or another, but for maybe 1/2 of the cast I'd have no drat clue unless I was staring at the MV to see who was in focus.

Also, the choreography for a lot of the MVs is what the backdancers are doing in the lives. I haven't seen too many of them recently, but there used to be people who'd make a 4-frame video of a couple of lives and the MV to compare (and for whatever reason Columbia's totally cool with people having videos of various lives on youtube, so if you were feeling particularly eager you could poke around and find them yourself), and the in-game MVs are usually some combination of a) a specific live and b) backdancer's hand motions. It's pretty neat!

I assume the handheld mics are some combination of tradition and aesthetic. I rather like them. It feels more singer-ish than a headset mic or something.

Yeah, I was going to name Chihaya and post a clip where you could clearly hear her even though it was a group part of the song but the example I was going to use (Flyers) turned out to actually just be a part where they do a string of duos so it was less impressive.

I found the backdancers thing a while ago when I dug up a live to find out whether they do the full combo or regular appeal dance for Smile Ichiban (the answer was neither, because she had a mic in her hand, but the backdancers did the regular one).

Polsy fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 29, 2019

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Aikatsu is now On Parade, I watched ep 1 raw.

The intro already feels like Too Many Idols, very drawn out:
https://0x0.st/zwao.webm

Evil Aikatsu hacker!

Is Raki's oneechan, an Aikatsu systems engineer.
Also notice that while she is observing proper screen distance and posture, she is working with bright screens in a dark room, which may be bad for eyesight. Didn't she read the warning at the top of the frame?

Jeweling Dresses, Hibiki and Alicia still exist, so the entire Solvette thing did happen. But someone deleted Wakaba afterwards???

Raki also gets to perform: https://0x0.st/zwaT.webm

Coco is not dead!

And then the whole ROOM OF DOORS thing happens, and then the best scene in the entire episode (SPOILER) https://0x0.st/zwaB.webm

So far I don't really care for Raki's character at all, would rather have Wakaba.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 5, 2019

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I like Raki, she feels like a cartoon character, especially with all the noises she makes when she hops around.

Plus, this is a real good face.

I'm looking forward to in like 30 episodes when it's revealed this is all a fever dream she had while surrounded by aikatsu magazines or whatever. Because it's kinda hard to believe that they've never so much as seen a picture of all these various flavors of top idol, and I don't want to believe that only Star Harmony somehow exists in a different dimension or something equally silly.

Anyway the best part of newkatsu is the return of the aikatsu sayings at the end:

Those were always great fun, and I was pretty disapointed when they stopped coming up with them

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1180527557369892864

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
https://twitter.com/Yes_Cantaloupe/status/1181406092661870592

also if anyone wants to be SIFAS friends 376 749 711

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

nielsm posted:

Jeweling Dresses, Hibiki and Alicia still exist, so the entire Solvette thing did happen. But someone deleted Wakaba afterwards???

wakaba drowned

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Wakakaba died on the way back to her home planet

They're using magic doors to travel to the other Aikatsu world. Wonder if one goes to Love Live or even better Love Live Granblue

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This is terrible. They've set up PriPara machines again for the 5th anniversary. Seen at the Harajuku Prism Stone store and the Nakano Broadway Adores arcade so far.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've been in Japan for a little over a week now, and attended 3 more-or-less random idol lives. (I had to decide on my vacation dates four months ahead so couldn't really plan around any concert dates not announced at that time.) Hence I went to see groups I didn't know at all beforehand, but seemed potentially interesting on the surface.
Also managed to catch the BanG Dream Film Live before screenings ended.

General lesson learned: Absolute don't go to an idol live without having studied the group beforehand and listened plenty to their songs. Keeping up with the show will be mentally draining if you aren't prepared and it will be difficult to enjoy. Either learn colors, calls, and movements properly, or otherwise don't try to keep up with the rest of the crowd. I caught myself many times putting all my attention on the crowd instead of on the stage.

Who: TEAM SHACHI
Where: Akasaka BLITZ
Standing spots on a semi-terraced floor separated into a few sections. Bad view from the back.
Mndatory drink ticket 500 yen at the door.
When: October 29th, start 19:00
Experience: Difficult to be entirely fair, this was the day after arriving so I was still affected by jet lag and intensely tired in the early evening.
Group of 4, with an additional 6 backing dancers. In this show, all the idols were wearing near identical outfits, I was never able to tell them apart from my spot near the back corner. The backing dancers ("Brass-min") were all holding various wind instruments and pretend-playing them throughout.
The show was mostly non-stop songs, with the only real breaks for talk being the costume change after half time, and after the encore. Additionally the sound was very loud, to the extent it was periodically indistinguishable from noise, I could barely hear the voices over the music and I could barely hear the melodies in the music. End result of non-stop music I couldn't tell what was, was a very draining experience.
Rating: 2/10 will need strong persuasion to go again.

Who: Zenbu kimi no sei da.
Where: Shibuya WWW
Standing spots on a terraced floor. Good view from the back.
Mandatory drink ticket 600 yen at the door.
When: October 31st, start 19:00, Halloween themed
Experience: Very cute costumes everyone had. Performed with a live backing band consisting of guitar, bass, and drums, and (occasional?) playback backing track.
Extremely loud. I could not distinguish the melody or song at any time.
This is not a group you cheer with penlights or glowsticks. The major fans in the front sections went crowd-surfing multiple times during the show. Apart from that, put your hands in the air and bang your head. There was a pretty clear separation in the crowd here, the main fans up front, and the went-to-a-random-show-in-Shibuya guests who were there for Halloween, several of the guests in the back sections were in cosplay.
Fans up front get a very close and personal experience here, the idols spend most of the time at the very edge of stage, I think they actually put one foot on the railing at the front row: You're pretty much being stepped on. Also bowing/kneeling down at times.
The show was non-stop, I don't remember there being any talk at all until the encore. Speaking of the encore, I don't know if it was intentional/traditional, but after the group left the stage, everyone was just standing in the dark, it was several minutes until anyone started calling.
Rating: 7/10 want to learn more and hear their songs properly, gets -2 for the loudness.

Who: BATTEN SHOWJO TAI
Where: Shibuya WWW X
Standing spots on (apparently) flat floor. Bad view from the back.
Mandatory drink ticket 600 yen at the door.
When: November 4th, start 13:30
Experience: Everyone had identical costumes. Nobody but the idols on stage. The group is apparently one member short currently.
Much better sound than the other two lives, could actually hear melodies and songs here.
Several talk breaks during the show, and lots of crowd interaction. Had some fun gimmicks with a picture flipbook during one song (illustrations for the lyrics), and an oversized sweater being unraveled during another.
Rating: 5/10 rather bland, probably won't give another look.

What: BanG Dream FILM LIVE
Where: EJ Anime Theater Shinjuku
Fine seats in a good sized cinema.
When: November 4th
Probably one of the last screenings this gets in Japan, it's been running for two months by now.
Experience: Could not find anywhere still running cheering-screenings, so this was a butt-in-seat shut-up-and-enjoy experience.
It was okay I suppose, but couldn't get really into it when not allowed to do the cheering.
Disappointed none of the RAS girls got any lines or songs despite appearing in the backstage section before the encore.
Rating: 5/10 would rather have had a show with just one or two of the bands, when everyone gets a turn they don't get to play for long. Gets -2 for not being allowed to cheer.

Leos Klein
Mar 11, 2011

ALL HAIL CARDIEL

Welp, that's it for me.
I'm done with All Stars it's just too much work and it's not fun.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Thanks for the write-ups! I get the impression that, taken in whole, it was at least a worthwhile experience, even if not everything was great. I hope the rest of your trip is great!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I def. don't regret going to either, now I just hope to be able to plan a trip around a specific live/tour at some point.
Ended up buying 4 CDs and 1 DVD with ZenKimi at Mandarake yesterday (everything they had). Let's see how I like them when the sound pressure levels are under my own control.

I also have a bunch of PriPara pritickets with my name on them now.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

nielsm posted:

You're pretty much being stepped on.

I'm interested.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I'm interested.

They announced a Christmas live at the end. Go.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Look at what I finished now.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
:death:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

I managed to pull 4 URs off of whale tickets yesterday because I wanted gems to get enough spins on the Pumpkin roulette to get the UR sticker, which I used to get another UR, for Devil Nico.

Oh, and I managed to win the GK Meet and Greet chuusen at ANYC on Sat too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Leos Klein posted:

Welp, that's it for me.
I'm done with All Stars it's just too much work and it's not fun.

Congrats!
I was fearing this when Cant and others talk about the various items you need to level up. I put SIF aside to wait for LLAS to be released in English but I might redownload the game again.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Honestly, after the rebalancing update the mat costs to level up your idols aren't nearly as bad now, and making the dresses the first big unlock node instead of the last one is a huge improvement. Also the game throws enough skip tickets at you that you don't even have to put that much time into actually playing the game if you don't want to.

I will say that the rebalanced event tiers are pretty bad, and imo the point requirement to unlock a single copy of the UR should be a lot lower. But given that the event UR stats are barely better than a regular SR, it's not the end of the world to miss out on those cards anyways.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Even then, it's not actually a good rhythm game at all. Which is a shame, because swapping units around depending on where you are in a song is a neat mechanic — the only game I've seen that did something like that is 7sis, and it swaps units after some period of time. Similarly, having little sub-missions during a song is also a neat mechanic. However, that's ruined when the reward for clearing the mission is essentially "not dying a bit faster than you would otherwise."

That the game is actively killing you regardless of how well you've actually kept to the rhythm rather ruins it. In basically any other rythm game you are perfectly able to clear a song on any difficulty with the most basic cards, so long as you manage to hit buttons in time with the rhythm, but in SIFAS, what actually matters is that you've leveled up enough high-rarity cards to have enough stamina to survive the game punishing you for daring to play it. What's especially galling about that is the little screen when you die during a game, which helpfully encourages you to either level up your cards or go spend more on the gacha. I don't think I ever actually cleared a single song on hard, because I'd be dead halfway in, no matter how well I was doing.

The event tiers being miserable just feels like a lovelive hallmark, at this point, so I'm not terribly surprised that they "fixed" the surprisingly lenient ones from the first event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What the heck that doesn’t sound enjoyable at all

Are they keeping both games updated or will they phase out SIF at some point?