Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Jakabite posted:

, and there's some decent anti-HS2 stuff right now.

What? If some people are getting their homes bulldozed to make way or whatevs and become destitute then the problem is poor compensation and not that there's a train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
XR acting in such a way only starts to compute when you consider the mindset of the average liberal- that people just don't understand climate change and if people really knew how bad it was we could all join hands and sing kumbahfuckingyah and everyone would come together and somehow that would enable things to be fixed and everyone will be happy again! Just like in 2012!.

They don't feel they need expert legal advice because they expect police will give them the same dixon of dock green style deference during a massive protest in the capital that they would get when reporting a theft from a garden shed in shropshire. They expect politicians to listen because that MP that came to their sixth form seemed awfully polite even if he didn't agree with them.

Concepts like "politicians trying to get ever more rich and powerful at any cost" and "police are there to protect the state and it's functions, not it's occupants" have been entirely outside their experience. Hopefully some of them will learn from this, but, y'know. Liberals.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Not nearly enough crispchat recently.

WATCH CHANNEL4 START A loving WAR

I'll be at work, but you'd better believe that I have the best Monster Munch flavour set to record.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

DesperateDan posted:

Concepts like "politicians trying to get ever more rich and powerful at any cost" and "police are there to protect the state and it's functions, not it's occupants" have been entirely outside their experience. Hopefully some of them will learn from this, but, y'know. Liberals.

Having seen several liberal friends of mine get radicalised by taking part in protests / occupations which were violently broken up by the police, can confirm that this will change at least a proportion of them.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Purple Prince posted:

Having seen several liberal friends of mine get radicalised by taking part in protests / occupations which were violently broken up by the police, can confirm that this will change at least a proportion of them.

Yeah I was gonna say exactly this only that it's odd they haven't yet been radicalised. It makes me wonder if the XR higher ups are insulating themselves from this somehow.

Cause yeah I've seen that happen to my friends too, nobody thinks cops are there to protect them after their first legal protest gets charged and kettled

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Cause yeah I've seen that happen to my friends too, nobody thinks cops are there to protect them after their first legal protest gets charged and kettled

This doesn't typically happen at XR protests cause everyone is so buddy buddy with the cops and there's a bunch of people just throwing themselves into the cops' arms to be arrested

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I assume that XR is still young enough as an outfit that it's got a lot of neophyte protesters who have not yet been at the blunt end of a copper's size elevens, and thus it can still summon a lot of naifs to go on marches and the like. Wouldn't be at all surprised to find that a decent chunk have either filtered out into other movements, or are trying to make XR more, shall we say, proactive.

DesperateDan posted:

XR acting in such a way only starts to compute when you consider the mindset of the average liberal- that people just don't understand climate change and if people really knew how bad it was we could all join hands and sing kumbahfuckingyah and everyone would come together and somehow that would enable things to be fixed and everyone will be happy again! Just like in 2012!.

They don't feel they need expert legal advice because they expect police will give them the same dixon of dock green style deference during a massive protest in the capital that they would get when reporting a theft from a garden shed in shropshire. They expect politicians to listen because that MP that came to their sixth form seemed awfully polite even if he didn't agree with them.

I mean, if someone hasn't been paying attention, it's hardly surprising that they would have this set of beliefs - it's quite literally the way we're told things work, and should work. As you say, entirely outside their experience, and there is powerful propaganda that works to ensure people feel that there are good reasons for the problems they do hear about, all with a just world fallacy on top. The police might get rough with weirdos and layabouts, but we're not that. And there might be problems but every organisation has bad apples. If you've never experienced otherwise the real scorn should be saved for when they do experience otherwise and then fail to change their views.

I will say though that I can't blame them at all for assuming that a failure to tackle climate change can only result from a catastrophic lack of understanding, because if you know the slightest thing about it then the idea that there is a single human being who understands it but doesn't consider it the foremost thing to worry about is absolutely buckwild. I wouldn't believe it myself if I hadn't grown so jaded over the years.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Yeah I was gonna ask whether or not the XR protesters have had their asses beat by cops yet.

I figured it was unlikely given the class make up. Weird when the police not being thugs is counterproductive

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Hey maybe the authoritarians were actually right all along, and all you need to avoid a kicking is to be sufficiently deferential and unobtrusive with your protest :v:

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

What's funny is in some ways XR is less deferential than many other groups: they have clear goals of holding up traffic and public transport, and ideally choking off a lot of cities' economies.

So the goal is right, and they've successfully avoided the sort of ritualistic protests that many groups end up doing, but whereas historically you might go further and say, build and defend semi-permanent barricades over Westminster Bridge, they seem happy to 'make a statement' at the cost of a lot of arrests and move on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

With that and their aforementioned lack of adaptation, their leadership structure must be absolute dogshit, sending people to get arrested while the leaders sit safe and happy.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just came to post that.
What proportion of LibDem MPs were tories?
I hope the libdem base are going to take note!

This is from the other night, but currently 1/5 :lol:
21% Pure Strain Tory Shits (4)

And for the other figures:
15% Pure Labour Melts (3)
63% Actual Piss Tories (12), of which 60% served in the coalition (7).

The long and short of it, they're now made up of 1/3rd of MPs whom they lovingly pulled in from the trash, because they love to rub that garbage all over themselves.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Pesky Splinter posted:

The long and short of it, they're now made up of 1/3rd of MPs whom they lovingly pulled in from the trash, because they love to rub that garbage all over themselves.

Licking poo poo for a tiny bit of actual influence is the only consistent thing I can see in the LDs over the past decade+ so makes sense

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
More angry denial from Guardian comment-posters:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/07/fantasy-national-unity-government-gift-brexiters-second-referendum

It's so striking how they don't even try to engage with the argument (like they're lowering themselves by acknowledging it or something) and just hurl furious abuse at the writer.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Purple Prince posted:

What's funny is in some ways XR is less deferential than many other groups: they have clear goals of holding up traffic and public transport, and ideally choking off a lot of cities' economies.

So the goal is right, and they've successfully avoided the sort of ritualistic protests that many groups end up doing, but whereas historically you might go further and say, build and defend semi-permanent barricades over Westminster Bridge, they seem happy to 'make a statement' at the cost of a lot of arrests and move on.

There is a lot of comedy potential though, with a real chance of pictures of respectable types being hauled off in chains.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Good old Heidi Allen, staunch remainer etc...

Oh.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

This conversation about XR has given me a panic attack about my role in aviation (aviation software specifically but the way we do things is so backwards and full of bad practice that moving towards traditional software is an uphill battle plus I am over 30). What are my options to not end up homeless?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

This conversation about XR has given me a panic attack about my role in aviation (aviation software specifically but the way we do things is so backwards and full of bad practice that moving towards traditional software is an uphill battle plus I am over 30). What are my options to not end up homeless?

Buy a house with your insane draconian currency hoard.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The same things everyone who isn't sitting on tens of thousands in the bank does.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Hope Aquaman likes stroopwaffles.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

sebzilla posted:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

With that and their aforementioned lack of adaptation, their leadership structure must be absolute dogshit, sending people to get arrested while the leaders sit safe and happy.

That's the weird thing - Hallam has gotten arrested over the failed drone blockade. He at least is principled enough to stick to his terrible rules and the organisation is structured around agreeing with the basic rules of XR so the only possibility of change is people who were supporters of the approach seeing the reality and changing their view without leaving XR.

I can't say how that will work out in the future but XR will start developing internal fractions and spin offs as a result of the next two weeks.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The reveal that AoF lives in the weed sex country and has nearly a hundred grand is what really sells his character imo

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

AceOfFlames posted:

My dude, you currently exist in a far better financial place than many of the people in this thread can dream of. I would personally advise talking to some manner of financial planner and purchasing a house of some description, but you can probably find another job fairly easily if you do computer touching.

You aren't going to starve or freeze, and I would alongside that advise looking into support groups of some description. Not like AA or things like that, but groups that do things that you support. Your primary thing is fear and there has to be a way of dealing with that healthily.

Keep safe!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

AceOfFlames posted:

Unless you wrote the code for the 737-MAX you're probably fine

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Azza Bamboo posted:

To hit the companies where it hurts what you really need is a mass bypass of gas meters. If it gets to the point where everyone knows someone who has done a bypass, and where the cost is handed down to people who are still complying with the meters, that'll set off a tidal wave.
Don't do this. Not only because it's really dangerous if you don't have a Gas Safe certified mate who can help you solder it, but because it's also really obvious.

Electric meter bypasses otoh can be tucked behind the distribution board and linked to a double pole double throw switch somewhere inconspicuous and it still comes out of the same pot as the gas cunts are also illegal.

e: ^^ What's the carbon offset on that code?

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013
From my understanding XR is fairly decentralised, so different groups can vary quite substantially. Early on I believe a lot of seasoned, or at least more radical, activists were a part of it but have either been shut out or have left because of the aforementioned stupid tactics. As a whole XR really does seem to be really loving wet.

Environmental protest movements in this country before XR if they were trying to stop someone from cutting down a tree, hunting a fox or fracking behind their house quickly found out what the police are for. Most people don't have the stomach for it and it's hard to blame them. To me XR and FBPE (wonder what that Venn diagram looks like?) are manifestations of the same thing, middle class liberals realising that they are just another voting block and they have to advocate for their interests. Since, compared to Left movements, they are much closer to power and are much more bought into the status quo you'd hardly expect them to want to shake things up too much.

One interesting fact about climate change that shows the complete inability of the current world order to deal with these types of problems is the fact that, after banning CFCs as refrigerants they were replaced by HFCs. Each molecule of a HFC is many thousands of times more insulating than a molecule of CO2. Banning these completely and safely disposing them would save about half a degree of warming and this involves basically making sure people don't throw old air conditioning units into landfills

https://www.drawdown.org/solutions/materials/refrigerant-management

If everyone obeys the rules (they won't) these will be phased out in 2028. So, it will take (at least) 10 years to get people to maybe please put their old fridges and aircons into a separate wheelie bin. Under anything resembling the current political order banning cars by 2030 is not happening.

That doesn't mean despair, that means it's really loving important to elect as radical a Labour government as possible as soon as possible.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I only just actually read details of that american diplomat's wife who fled the country.

"Harry Dunn, 19, was killed after his motorcycle collided with a car traveling in the opposite direction in Brackley, a town about 60 miles northwest of London that is near R.A.F. Croughton, a Royal Air Force base that is the site of a United States Air Force communication station.

The police have said that Ms. Sacoolas, who is 42, was driving on the wrong side of the road when the crash occurred, and that their investigation has been complicated by the fact that she left the country."

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Crisp chat:

Crisp packet recycling.
There are a number of collection points in South Wales specifically for Guide Dogs for the Blind Cymru, but other collection points are available. See location map in the link below.
Any brand of crisp packets accepted including Monster Munch.

https://www.terracycle.com/en-GB/brigades/crisppacket

Private collectors must send in shipments weighing a minimum of 5 kg to receive TerraCycle® points.
Public drop-off location administrators are asked to send in shipments weighing a minimum of 8 kg.

(This is all I know, only found out about this scheme from a friend today).

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

It would take quite a long time to save up 5kg of crisp packets.

Like, two or three weeks at least imo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And you can request a donation of a whole ten pounds to a charity of your choice if you do that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All praise the Blind Cymru.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Obligatory plug with all the climate change talk for just going out there and planting a bunch of goddamn trees. You don't need someone's permission, you don't need to be organised into a group, just get some trees and go out and plant them.

I get mine from here because they're all native species and screened for diseases:

https://shop.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

DesperateDan posted:

Well duh; XR _are_ middle class moderate liberals, and they have the goals of such; to bring forward by 5 or perhaps 10 years something the state was planning to do anyway. And if that is not possible, at least reduce the amount of delay and backsliding that happens.

It’s not particularly obvious that the best tactics for them to use would be the same if they had entirely different goals.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

sebzilla posted:

It would take quite a long time to save up 5kg of crisp packets.

Like, two or three weeks at least imo

Well the point is really to do group collections not individual ones.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

AceOfFlames posted:

Maybe see if there are any jobs available in the green / environment sector for software developers? Would be a pay cut, but you've got a buffer of cash there.

Or maybe a career transition? If there are local-ish environmental groups you could try asking them what they need, reading up on some of the topics, you might be able to get a job with on-the-job training - again, the cash buffer is a help there. Like, say, in regenerative agriculture or whatever (tbh with the amount of spare cash you have, you might be able to start a small regenerative agriculture farm - some involved say the returns are actually really good, and it's environmentally-positive).

idk, I'm probably going to be doing a mid-30s career transition myself in the next 6 months from music to computer touching, and these things are on my mind a bit too

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Aquaponics is also good.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Captain Fargle posted:

Obligatory plug with all the climate change talk for just going out there and planting a bunch of goddamn trees. You don't need someone's permission, you don't need to be organised into a group, just get some trees and go out and plant them.

I get mine from here because they're all native species and screened for diseases:

Thanks ill try and grab some of the Scottish ones once I'm back home

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What the hell does XR have to do with a software developer in a dutch aviation firm who has £70,000 in the bank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

Hatching a plan to plant 500 of the fuckers soon