Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Bubbacub posted:

I'm kind of surprised that Susan Collins isn't willing to rock the boat. Her approval rating dropped after the Kavanaugh vote, acting like something other than a party stooge could only help her.

really though? shes a fuckin chud, guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

DrNutt posted:

You are dense as hell if you cannot grasp the unique threat of right wing terrorists being called to action by The President of the God Damned United States

takes me back to those woodrow wilson days of yore

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Berke Negri posted:

takes me back to those woodrow wilson days of yore

Ah yes, those Woodrow Wilson days of yore, in which the president enjoyed a 35% immovable base of support and the ability to instantly communicate his dumbest and most hosed up thoughts with his most fervent supporters.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Prester Jane posted:

Oh hey look, it's the exact same mocking post I've been reading for 4 years whenever anyone tries to bring up the threat that right-wing militias pose.

i live in east-central texas, am i going to be stopped at checkpoints by right-wing militias?

you were predicting that WELL before your recent escalation

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i live in east-central texas, am i going to be stopped at checkpoints by right-wing militias?

There is a non-zero chance of this occurring to you in the near future, yes.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Got a quote their friend? The only context I can imagine having predicted militias running checkpoints would be 1.) under the supervision of local police/politicians and 2.) only as a worst-case scenario in the reddest of red states.

That said, I will now predict that there is a non-trivial chance of a militia running a checkpoint in somewhere like East Texas if things get out of hand enough.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Prester Jane posted:

Got a quote their friend? The only context I can imagine having predicted militias running checkpoints would be 1.) under the supervision of local police/politicians and 2.) only as a worst-case scenario in the reddest of red states.

That said, I will now predict that there is a non-trivial chance of a militia running a checkpoint in somewhere like East Texas if things get out of hand enough.

lol, "got a quote? I probably didn't, but I think it's correct anyway"

it's on my list of your predictions but I didn't actually save the link :saddowns:

if you're curious / wish to express an opinion on the topic, the other PJ prediction I don't have a link for is "donald trump will expressly call for the execution of his political opponents on live television"

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

GreyjoyBastard posted:

lol, "got a quote? I probably didn't, but I think it's correct anyway"

it's on my list of your predictions but I didn't actually save the link :saddowns:

if you're curious / wish to express an opinion on the topic, the other PJ prediction I don't have a link for is "donald trump will expressly call for the execution of his political opponents on live television"

I'd love to see the links on either of those, but Donald Trump is already toeing the line on openly calling for his enemies to be killed.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ah, here we go, google works

USPOL spring, march 24 2019, can't quote directly for radium reasons:

quote:

So for 2018 I was predicting more-or-less exactly what actually happened in terms of stochastic terrorism- but those were largely the isolated (albeit frequent) acts of uncoordinated cells. What I am talking about now is a period of time where right wing militia's will be operating checkpoints with the full blessing of local law enforcenent.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885224&userid=143160#post493644835

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

Hey could we not do a left wing turner diaries cosplay? Cool cool.

afraid you're a couple months late on that one, there was this nice Pelosi lady who let you know the official position of the Democratic party on whether the untermenschen must die caged in order to save the nation-body from the poison their blood represented. as a reminder, that position was "absolutely, how much money do you want in order to make that happen, where do I sign."

complete with public bipartisan smackdown of some uppity brown ladies who said "no, that sounds wrong actually."

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

GreyjoyBastard posted:

He’s accusing them of treason already, a reporter is eventually going to ask him something like, “Mr. President you are aware that accusation can carry the penalty of death?”

Trump: “Yes, well, it’s very unfair what the Democrats, what Schiff, Nancy Pelosi, yes what they are doing to our country. It is treason, yes. Yes I am aware of that.”

That very well may happen this week. Next step is, “They committed treason and should face the consequences.”

Not sure how this seems like a stretch at all.

Edit: and if we’re called what Erdogn said about correcting the population in Syria pretty explicit, so is this

tokyo reject fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 8, 2019

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tokyo reject posted:

He’s accusing them of treason already, a reporter is eventually going to ask him something like, “Mr. President you are aware that accusation can carry the penalty of death?”

Trump: “Yes, well, it’s very fair what the Democrats, what Schiff, Nancy Pelosi, yes what they are doing to our country. It is treason, yes. Yes I am aware of that.”

That very well may happen this week. Next step is, “They committed treason and should face the consequences.”

Edit: and if we’re called what Erdogn said about correcting the population in Syria pretty explicit, so is this

Everything they accuse anyone else of is projection so yes they will definitely do this.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

tokyo reject posted:

Trump: “Yes, well, it’s very fair what the Democrats, what Schiff, Nancy Pelosi, yes what they are doing to our country. It is treason, yes. Yes I am aware of that.”

honestly i do think it's more likely than me being stopped on my way to houston by an Oath Keeper blockade deeply interested in whether I have Hispanics in my trunk

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

tokyo reject posted:

personally I'm fond of this one

https://twitter.com/TimOBrien/status/1158030250498019328

we're not there yet. but hoo boy are we playing footsie with it.

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

GreyjoyBastard posted:

honestly i do think it's more likely than me being stopped on my way to houston by an Oath Keeper blockade deeply interested in whether I have Hispanics in my trunk

Way more likely, because him saying some poo poo like that is exactly the kind of thing he does. The whole blockade thing requires everything going further down the rabbit hole before something like that would happen.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

I love this thread for many reasons but jesus loving christ the PJ derails are not one of them.

Was there any more news about what happened with the Hezbollah screens at the Pentagon?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

GreyjoyBastard posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885224&userid=143160#post493644835

Huh, I wonder why you cut out this specific portion that preceded the text you quoted?

quote:

To be specific I am predicting that if Trump loses re-election he will refuse to abdicate power and will be supported by a pretty substantial portion of our population as well as most of Law Enforcement and a non-trivial portion of the military. This will be well beyond a simple constitutional crisis and would veer dangerously close to "civil war" territory.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

DrNutt posted:

Ah yes, those Woodrow Wilson days of yore, in which the president enjoyed a 35% immovable base of support and the ability to instantly communicate his dumbest and most hosed up thoughts with his most fervent supporters.

i was talking about wilson helping revitalize the second coming of the KKK into national politics

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Objurium posted:

I love this thread for many reasons but jesus loving christ the PJ derails are not one of them.

Was there any more news about what happened with the Hezbollah screens at the Pentagon?

nah. trump has been radio silent on twitter since this morning.

https://www.apnews.com/ac3115b4eb564288a03a5b8be868d2e5

he is still defending his actions about the kurds and will probably double down tomorrow.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
We were so busy freaking out over Syria, I don't think we talked about this foreign policy disaster here.

https://twitter.com/BradMossEsq/status/1181326205540294663

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Prester Jane posted:

Huh, I wonder why you cut out this specific portion that preceded the text you quoted?

Yes, I'm sort of assuming Donald Trump loses here.

So you stand by "if Donald Trump loses, he will refuse to abdicate power and right wing militias will establish regular checkpoints in red states"?

edit: i don't actually see why cutting that out MATTERS, since I assume the scenario where Donald Trump wins the election is MORE fascist

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 8, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

We were so busy freaking out over Syria, I don't think we talked about this foreign policy disaster here.

https://twitter.com/BradMossEsq/status/1181326205540294663

apperently we are only "talking" about doing it. nothing official but it wouldnt surprise me if trump just dissolves NATO or leaves the UN.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Berke Negri posted:

i was talking about wilson helping revitalize the second coming of the KKK into national politics

I think a version of that happening in 2020 could be a whole lot worse though.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Given how erratic Trump’s been recently - even by his standards - I don't think it's out of the question he'd call for mass violence or even for his political enemies to be killed. He's completely batshit now, I suspect Syria was just the start of it.

gently caress knows what the consequences would be, I've no desire or business prognosticating about that

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

DrNutt posted:

I think a version of that happening in 2020 could be a whole lot worse though.

yes, things are bad

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

we're not there yet. but hoo boy are we playing footsie with it.

All it really takes is him not following up with the “I’m joking part” just to see how much pushback he gets. Not much? Good to know I can escalate in that direction.

People act like the Trumps of the world get nearly autonomous power overnight. Na, ya gotta grease the wheels so the people that fall in to support you feel safe escalating with you.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This is a video a right-wing militia posted as a self advertisement showing them operating an (armed) illegal checkpoint in New Mexico near the border.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwwm98EjD98

This shows that right-wing militias have been operating basically with unofficial permission and assistance from ICE and the Border Patrol for years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7daLjYjiNQ

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 8, 2019

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yes, I'm sort of assuming Donald Trump loses here.

So you stand by "if Donald Trump loses, he will refuse to abdicate power and right wing militias will establish regular checkpoints in red states"?

edit: i don't actually see why cutting that out MATTERS, since I assume the scenario where Donald Trump wins the election is MORE fascist

It matters because the trigger event for checkpoints being established hasn't happened yet, and from the context of your original quote you seemed to be accusing me of predicting that we would already be at the point where are checkpoints were being operated. That said, please watch the videos I posted.

It's already happening, it just isn't happening to white people yet.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Prester Jane posted:

It matters because the trigger event for checkpoints being established hasn't happened yet, and from the context of your original quote you seemed to be accusing me of predicting that we would already be at the point where are checkpoints were being operated. That said, please watch the videos I posted.

alright, we'll relitigate this in a year and a bit, and presumably there'll be at least one (1) more checkpoint near the border that will be proof that you are correct, because you weren't predicting a serious multi-state mini-insurrection, after all

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

racist right-wing militia members impersonating border patrol agents isn't too uncommon, as they keep getting arrested for it, with them somehow probably only marginally less corrupt than actual real border patrol agents

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazin...InMSx0x3kEdiqsE

its nothing new buts its interesting to see how everyone is sick of him being an incurious impulsive moronic rear end in a top hat.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Barry Foster posted:

Given how erratic Trump’s been recently - even by his standards - I don't think it's out of the question he'd call for mass violence or even for his political enemies to be killed. He's completely batshit now, I suspect Syria was just the start of it.

gently caress knows what the consequences would be, I've no desire or business prognosticating about that

Yeah after that quote this morning about his "unparalleled wisdom" and how he'd crush Turkey, betrays him as off the deep end. It's like he knows he's spineless and trying to act like he's in control to a dangerous, insane degree or he's completely delusional or both. Either case isn't going to be an isolated incident and could easily escalate.

thin blue whine fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 8, 2019

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

GreyjoyBastard posted:

lol I found some more fun quotes at this link:

(Mueller report)

empty whippet box posted:

This is a totally reasonable take on a report we know next to nothing about. Totally. Your brain is whole and unbroken.

Prester Jane posted:

Again I emphasize that the actual contents of the report are totally irrelevant at this point- what really matters is the narrative about what's in the report. (This isn't a high school debate contest, facts don't matter in the loving slightest)

I would argue that the (naive) belief that the actual contents of the report will counteract the established narrative about the report is what is "broke brained"- especially in light of the events of the past three years.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I too quote myself in old threads

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazin...InMSx0x3kEdiqsE

its nothing new buts its interesting to see how everyone is sick of him being an incurious impulsive moronic rear end in a top hat.
The extended aside where a general waxes poetic about the ~warrior ethos~ would be kinda funny if it wasn't super depressing

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I can't believe this poo poo gets a pass but even alluding to the primaries is probatable

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Prester Jane posted:

It's already happening, it just isn't happening to white people yet.

Yes, if you're undocumented it's already bad. I think exposure and push back has helped it from getting really awful for citizens but who knows how long that will last.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Dapper_Swindler posted:

apperently we are only "talking" about doing it. nothing official but it wouldnt surprise me if trump just dissolves NATO or leaves the UN.

If Trump did that everyone would just wait for the next democrat to bring us back in.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Can the US unilaterally dissolve NATO de jure, or would it just be de facto given its military contribution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

as it's an actual treaty the Senate would have to approve us actually leaving NATO which would effectively end it either way without our backing

this would never happen even with the gop Senate but god, Trump could cause a lot of damage acting like he could do it on his own