Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I think I'll play scream fortress a little more this year. I'm in that Halloween mood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Been waiting for October and Scream Fortress to hit, so I could buy some keys and maybe unlock some boxes and get some cool new items. (As someone said the drop rate/unusual rate is higher during Scream Fortress)

Is there anything to look for in particular? Since I haven't followed TF2 for the last few years, I don't know if there's anything in the Halloween events you can earn. Only things I have are the Bombinomicon, the giant eye hat, some spellbook page thing, and a few various Halloween cosmetics.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 4, 2019

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Scream Fortress achievement items (with requirements in the link):
Unfilled Fancy Spellbook
Bombinomicon
Skull Island Topper
MONOCULUS!
Hoseless Headless Horsemann's Head
Mildly Disturbing Halloween Mask
Ghostly Gibus or the other variations of
Haunted Metal Scrap which you can turn into Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker

Scream Fortress cosmetic transmutes:
The Soul Gargoyle can transmute three unique or haunted cosmetics into an untradable Halloween cosmetic, which if you're lucky can net you expensive stuff like Chicken Kiev or Hundkopf on the cheap (but again, an untradable version). For every 10 transmutes you get an extra Halloween cosmetic, and each combine you get a chance at some bonus drops like spell pages or a Halloween case. Basically it's a really cheap way to gamble cosmetics compared to opening crates, though the results aren't tradable and you can't get unusuals from it.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 4, 2019

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Anarch posted:

Unfilled Fancy Spellbook
Bombinomicon
Skull Island Topper
MONOCULUS!
Haunted Metal Scrap which you can turn into Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker

The Soul Gargoyle can transmute three unique or haunted cosmetics into an untradable Halloween cosmetic, which if you're lucky can net you expensive stuff like Chicken Kiev or Hundkopf on the cheap (but again, an untradable version). For every 10 transmutes you get an extra Halloween cosmetic, and each combine you get a chance at some bonus drops like spell pages or a Halloween case. Basically it's a really cheap way to gamble cosmetics compared to opening crates, though the results aren't tradable and you can't get unusuals from it.

Wait the dog head is normally desirable? I crafted one of those away today because it looks dumb and I already have too many medic Halloween items I like.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Anarch posted:

Unfilled Fancy Spellbook
Bombinomicon
Skull Island Topper
MONOCULUS!

I have quite a few of those (the Bombinomicon, the Skull Island Topper, Monoculus, Mildly Disturbing Halloween Mask, the Spellbook (still unfilled, with only one page in my inventory), and the Ghastlierest Gibus).

I don't have the Haunted Metal Scrap, and it looks like the requirements to get it is to beat the Horseless Headless Horsemann with melee attacks. I tried doing this today on one map (Slasher), but I either got killed by other players or the Horsemann himself. Then again, that map I think was a mix of all the Halloween stuff, and I remember there was one he showed up on specifically, so maybe it's easier to do it there.

It looks like you can't get the Soul Gargoyle anymore. It sounds like it was only available for the 2015 event.

-

Apart from keys, I also thought about getting the ticket to do contracts, and maybe the ticket for Mann Vs Machine. I got a free MvM ticket back when I think it first launched, and I just recently finished a mission with it. Do you have to buy multiple tickets for a whole mission set to get the weapons with the robot-head decorations?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 4, 2019

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Max Wilco posted:

I have quite a few of those (the Bombinomicon, the Skull Island Topper, Monoculus, Mildly Disturbing Halloween Mask, the Spellbook (still unfilled, with only one page in my inventory), and the Ghastlierest Gibus).

I don't have the Haunted Metal Scrap, and it looks like the requirements to get it is to beat the Horseless Headless Horsemann with melee attacks. I tried doing this today on one map (Slasher), but I either got killed by other players or the Horsemann himself. Then again, that map I think was a mix of all the Halloween stuff, and I remember there was one he showed up on specifically, so maybe it's easier to do it there.

It looks like you can't get the Soul Gargoyle anymore. It sounds like it was only available for the 2015 event.

I'm pretty sure they give you one of you don't have it already as long as you log in during scream fortress.

Max Wilco posted:

Apart from keys, I also thought about getting the ticket to do contracts, and maybe the ticket for Mann Vs Machine. I got a free MvM ticket back when I think it first launched, and I just recently finished a mission with it. Do you have to buy multiple tickets for a whole mission set to get the weapons with the robot-head decorations?

I wouldn't bother unless you really enjoy mvm and are more interested in playing than the prize itself. You can buy the botkiller weapons on the market for cheap if there's one you specifically want.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Anarch posted:

Currently trending up:
Spelled or Halloween items (since they can be seen for all of Scream Fortress)
Taunt Unusualifiers (in anticipation of new Halloween effects *speculation not confirmed)
Craft Hats (to sacrifice to the Soul Gargoyle for Halloween hats / bonus items)
Tough Break Cases (for Halloween unboxing, due to this recent video which claims they have the best current returns)

Apparently the Scream Fortress announcement is supposed to drop later today. Did not occur, disregard.

Thank you for the notice, got a buck in Tough Break cases to spend in fictional trading cards.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm pretty sure they give you one of you don't have it already as long as you log in during scream fortress.

I tried starting up the game this morning, but I didn't see it come up in an inventory search, and there was no notification for a new item for it.

I thought it was because I didn't have the Masked Mann achievement, but it looks like I got that back in 2011, so I don't know. :shrug:

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I've seen threads on TF2's steam discussions about people not getting gargoyles this year. Hopefully someone at Valve will care long enough to fix it before scream fortress is over.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Baron von Eevl posted:

Wait the dog head is normally desirable? I crafted one of those away today because it looks dumb and I already have too many medic Halloween items I like.

Many of the animal heads are valuable due to furries, but there are other popular Halloween cosmetics such as Beep Man, Second Opinion or Abhorrent Appendages.

Max Wilco posted:

I tried starting up the game this morning, but I didn't see it come up in an inventory search, and there was no notification for a new item for it.

There's a chance you will get the gargoyle when you log in during the actual Scream Fortress content update - last year that was mid-October and it was specifically listed in the patch notes.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 4, 2019

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Max Wilco posted:

I thought it was because I didn't have the Masked Mann achievement, but it looks like I got that back in 2011, so I don't know. :shrug:

Yeah, scream fortress hasn't actually started yet, they're just opening up the Halloween maps and costumes. The real thing might not actually start till right before Halloween but it will probably have contracts, drops, new cosmetics, all that jazz.

Galaxander posted:

I've seen threads on TF2's steam discussions about people not getting gargoyles this year. Hopefully someone at Valve will care long enough to fix it before scream fortress is over.

Like I said, this isn't scream fortress, this is just "here play some Halloween maps while we get the update ready."

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 4, 2019

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, scream fortress hasn't actually started yet, they're just opening up the Halloween maps and costumes. The real thing might not actually start till right before Halloween but it will probably have contracts, drops, new cosmetics, all that jazz.

Like I said, this isn't scream fortress, this is just "here play some Halloween maps while we get the update ready."

Oh, I see. I just figured Scream Fortress started as soon as October rolled in. That explains it.

Does that mean the whole double-rate drop thing doesn't apply either until Scream Fortress actually starts?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

hi do people still play this game and do you want a goon medic to fail to heal you but try?

hit me up if so

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I think there are some of us that still play. Most of us have kind of aged out of playing daily and catch a few games or so when we can.

You can feel free to add me, I’m US east coast; http://steamcommunity.com/id/oxygenpoisoning

I added you just know.

hey friendos from months ago, do we have a discord or steam group or anything now?

i do medic decently and lose miserably as soldier, demo, and heavy, but I am having a lot of fun recently and I'd like to have friends to not get owned with in TF2

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 5, 2019

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Max Wilco posted:

Oh, I see. I just figured Scream Fortress started as soon as October rolled in. That explains it.

Does that mean the whole double-rate drop thing doesn't apply either until Scream Fortress actually starts?

Probably? There hasn't been an update or anything and the Halloween unusual effects haven't been released.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I added you just know.

hey friendos from months ago, do we have a discord or steam group or anything now?

i do medic decently and lose miserably as soldier, demo, and heavy, but I am having a lot of fun recently and I'd like to have friends to not get owned with in TF2

I just accepted. I mainly can play soldier and demo at a nominal level, and everything else mediocrely.

As far as goon discord’s, I’m only apart of serious overchill, but that’s more Destiny and Overwatch, but they have a lot of other random games as well. If there’s an old one from the LCs I don’t know it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

lmao come on you can't just turn /v/ memes into items! th-

oh the dancing doe, right

e: lmao

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
MEME

FORTRESS

FOREVER

Pretty sure people are emboldened to make these since more are getting through.

GAAAAAAAAH

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Some of these Halloween maps are too good to only be available one month in the year.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
To be fair last year or a couple years ago they forgot to turn it off and they were available into January.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

im a fan of this one

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
It's here!

teamfortress.com posted:

Scream Fortress XI has arrived!

Featuring 2 new community maps: Laughter and Precipice

Added the Spooky Spoils Case
Contains 22 new community-created cosmetic items that make-up the Spooky Spoils Collection
Has a chance to give one of 5 new community-created Halloween-restricted items as a bonus item
Has a chance to give a taunt Unusualifier as a bonus item

Added 20 new community-created Unusual effects
12 new effects for Unusual hats
8 new effects for Unusual taunts

All players who launch the game will receive a Soul Gargoyle if they don't already have one
Grants access to Merasmissions and Halloween item transmutations
Tracks Merasmissions completed and souls collected

All Halloween Contracts have been reset, allowing them to be completed again

Completing a Halloween Contract will give players a classic Halloween item and the chance for a Spooky Spoils Case

Continue last year's event by collecting the souls of dead players for your Soul Gargoyle by killing enemies, doing map objectives, or collecting the Soul Gargoyles that spawn in the maps

All cases will grant Halloween 2019 Unusual effects instead of their normal Unusual effects during the event

Join Halloween matches by using the Special Events category in Casual

Scream Fortress XI runs through November 7th, 2019

General

Fixed an overheal bug related to players teleporting to the underworld on Halloween maps
Fixed being able to attack players with the Short Circuit during a truce
Fixed the Snack Attack not playing a timer sound while attached to buildings
Updated Carnival of Carnage to fix an area where Engineers could build outside of the world
Updated several maps to fix localization issues
Updated/Added some tournament medals
Updated the localization files

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hm, not sure if I like those new maps too much. Precipice is probably okay, though it barely has any gimmicks. Laughter's layout (somehow) confuses me and the two deathtrap holes by the capture point are unfun.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Scream_Fortress_2019

:effort:

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The crates from the contracts aren't marketable this year, which means there's really no reason to play unless you want to since you can't make money from hat barons / gambling addicts unless you're valve

I bought a key and got the pocket halloween boss, immediately remembering why I stopped buying keys

Also some dude I was in a server with opened forty boxes and I got the itch

e: the pocket halloween boss's ghost version paints the hat, you can't carry around a small green ghost. This item fuckin sucks!!!

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 11, 2019

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I got that new pyro shark hat.
Time to bum around the 2fort sewers for hours on end again

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

The crates from the contracts aren't marketable this year, which means there's really no reason to play unless you want to since you can't make money from hat barons / gambling addicts unless you're valve

I bought a key and got the pocket halloween boss, immediately remembering why I stopped buying keys

Also some dude I was in a server with opened forty boxes and I got the itch

e: the pocket halloween boss's ghost version paints the hat, you can't carry around a small green ghost. This item fuckin sucks!!!

I bought $10 of Steam credit last weekend, so I'm probably going to buy a couple of keys because I like making poor decisions. The only thing I have bought so far, though, is the ticket for the contracts, and I have to say, I'm annoyed you can't have multiple contracts running at once. :argh:

I got the Soul Gargoyle, though, so I'm happy about that. One odd thing I had happen is that after the game updated, I couldn't get it start at first, so I tried verifying the game files, and that seemed to fix it (even though there was nothing to download). However, in trying to find a solution in the Steam discussions, I found this thread, which I have to share: https://steamcommunity.com/app/440/discussions/0/3175526477753177228/

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Gottem

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Happy Birthday TF2

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Nislt has been putting out videos again. This one's about taunt kills.

https://youtu.be/rT362aife5o

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Allies and enemies alike respecting a tauntkill in progress gives me faith in world peace.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
I'm not really feeling most of the Halloween case cosmetics this year, except for the unique drops. The unusual cosmetic and taunt effects are pretty good though!

If you're unboxing, take note that older "case" boxes contain the Halloween goodies (unusuals, unusualifiers, paint, etc) and will list it in their description; older "crate" boxes do not have this.

crabf
May 29, 2015

if halloween did anything good this year it's probably the fact that you can look like this with every class now

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Just FYI, the Pyr'o Lantern is paintable muskelmann braun.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

crabf posted:

if halloween did anything good this year it's probably the fact that you can look like this with every class now

Yeah there's some fun options in the new stuff for sure. I wish the game was a little more lenient in allowing hats to overlap in general.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

They really need to do a pass on what's halloween only and what isn't.

Also I saw warpy in the wild! It was cool. I miss the LCs.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Another update, huge changes to Precipice it appears. Probably warranted, all the times I've played it so far it always felt extremely choke-point-y similar to the earliest maps, not in a good way.

quote:

Updated the Accursed Unusual taunt effect to fix a problem with the color
Updated the equip_region for a couple of the Spooky Spoils cosmetic items
Updated/Added some tournament medals
Updated the localization files

Updated koth_slaughter_event
Fixed a spot where players could spam the Underworld exit effect
Fixed a sightline into the spawn rooms
Fixed players being able to perch on flood lights
Implemented additional prop fades to increase performance

Updated pl_precipice_event_final
Removed the right side path from BLU spawn near control point A to help BLU in keep momentum during coordinated pushes
BLU main spawn has been rearranged to outlet the BLU team to the left of the courtyard
Removed upper balcony for control point D on the RED team's side
Added additional cover near control point A and control point D to block long headshot sightlines
Redesigned RED spawn to support missing balcony level
Added a ramp inside the Cave to allow players to jump up onto the dropdown platform that leads to control point D
Fixed engineers being able to build in certain doorways
Moved the health cabinet in the neutral spawn closer to the exit doors
Fixed one-way doors closing too soon, trapping players
Fixed the cliff-side one way door not closing properly, leaving behind invisible collision
Added additional health and ammo pickups between control point A and control point C
Fixed several spots players shouldn't be able to reach
Extended spawn room triggers to better encapsulate the neutral forward spawn room
Made several shed rooftops non-buildable areas for engineers
Added more pumpkin bombs
Spells cast by the cauldron are now helpful for the BLU team. The cauldron will only cast the tornado, jump pad, and skeleton spell. Skeletons will target and attack RED team.
Fixed the cauldron spell audio not always playing correctly

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I'm impressed they put so much effort into making Precipice better, but on the other hand, it's still payload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

crabf posted:

They're ugly as sin yet combo well with a bunch of stuff -- that's where the meme magic of these Scream Fortress miscs come from.

Grapplejack posted:

They really need to do a pass on what's halloween only and what isn't.

Also I saw warpy in the wild! It was cool. I miss the LCs.

But THIS entirely. We're well beyond Teutonkahmun vs Crown of the Old Kingdom, and have been for a long time with stuff that breaks the art style, disguises hitboxes, or whatever. I wish they'd review what actually constitutes as a Halloween hat but I doubt they will.

The answer is undoubtedly money and effort. If the Potassium Bonnett was a Halloween hat it wouldn't be nearly as popular and pricey (and there's actually a banana collector who uses glitched killstreak kits to turn them non-tradeable, which further drives up the price of the tradeable versions). They couldn't move anything currently active into Halloween-only status because people would throw a fit that their hat only works a fraction of the time, plus it would require some serious effort on Valve's part and... yeah.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 17, 2019