Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want the future where society is built on carbon nanotubes sucked out of the air and we all die because the sucking carbon out of the air industry wasn't prepared to shut down operation just because it was causing atmospheric CO2 levels to drop to trace amounts, obliterating the oxygen cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Look if you can't do with an app it's literally goin down't pit and my delicate intellectual constitution will not stoop to such base forms of existence.

Bloody diplomats.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

suck my woke dick posted:

Please plant responsibly. Turning overfertilised grassland into generic trees is good, turning semiopen and open habitats hosting rare plants and bugs into generic trees is less good.

Yeah this.

If you're planting seeds or saplings you'll want to make sure you do it in an area protected with deer fencing, and then you'll want tree guards.

Don't just go into your local woodland and plant away, the chances are they are being managed under a specific woodland management plan or conservation plan and you could seriously mess with that. It could mess with pest control, soil management , or a whole host of other things. Always make sure you have permission.

It's probably best to get in touch with a local organisation and do it through them, as they'll have the land, plans and permission for such a scheme, I planted loads of trees at work (because I created the woodland plan), but before that I did volunteering with MoorTrees on Dartmoor which was a great thing to be a part of, probably similar things around you. Speak to any NPAs, Woodland Trusts, NT and local wildlife Trusts.

Also please don't buy generic seeds/saplings over the internet, I've effort posted before about why this is bad - but don't have the effort to find the post now. Get seeds local to the area you're planting.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ratjaculation posted:

you'll want tree guards

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1181331187526242304?s=19

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
With brexit coming up, what can i do beyond stockpiling medicine (well the ones that can be stockpiled...) and food?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ash Crimson posted:

With brexit coming up, what can i do beyond stockpiling medicine (well the ones that can be stockpiled...) and food?

You'll want a sewing machine, used leather goods and preferably some old sporting equipment or motorcycling gear for your raider outfit. It might be a good idea to invest in a muscle car and begin welding some spikes to it now, just to stay ahead of the game a bit.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Ash Crimson posted:

Befriend any old or infirm neighbours and find out where they keep an emergency key. Persuade them to stock up on essentials. When Brexit Fimbulwinter begins eat their supplies, and then eat them.

Edit: buy guinea pigs, they are incredibly easy to farm for meat

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Ash Crimson posted:

Large boyfriend with fast motorbike, couple of German Shepherd or Dobermans, and a crossbow.
Or, if you live next to a river like I do, a large fishing net to capture ducks, swans and maybe a fish.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jeremy Corbyn why will you not nationalize the provision of large boyfriend with fast motorbike?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Necrothatcher posted:

You'll want a sewing machine, used leather goods and preferably some old sporting equipment or motorcycling gear for your raider outfit. It might be a good idea to invest in a muscle car and begin welding some spikes to it now, just to stay ahead of the game a bit.

Chrome spray. Can't forget the chrome spray.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Chuka Umana posted:

Britain is leaving the European Union in three weeks.

We should plan a special event for this thread on Halloween, I still suggest a group watch of Threads.

Turns out Donald Tusk chose that date to make an excellent joke about Project Fear

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I'm being genuinely serious, we need to plan this out

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I'll be roaming the land offering miracle cure for £5,000 a bottle (£3 in todays terms)

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1181506865366274048

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ash Crimson posted:

If the government wants to kill you there isn't anything you can do about it short of large scale armed uprising.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ash Crimson posted:

If you dig out the February UKMT thread it's all there.
Or even earlier - some in the October 2018 UKMT thread.

And quite a bit more in the July 2018 thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861918&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=254

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 8, 2019

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm just going to spike up my Peugeot 108 instead. Fuel efficiency is going to be a big factor, after all.

Few of those big grilles the council puts on condemned buildings. Rubber flap skirt to protect the under from flames. That's a perfectly serviceable hell-mobile imo :colbert:

Battery powered floodlight on a brush shaft stuck to the roof.

Couple of big triangular wings stuck to both sides that are made from that plastic they use to seal things like pound shop electronics and children's action figures and padlock and key sets in that has the property of being able to slice through human flesh as easily as razor blades.

crispix fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 8, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ash Crimson posted:

Prepare for armed insurrection to overthrow the government and install a workers democracy.

That's about it I'm afraid, we are hosed.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So there's not going to be an extension request? It seems as if there should be a bigger uproar.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They've only just figured that out?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Farmers might but what makes you think local authorities are going to know that the official looking tree planting isn't supposed to be there? Someone who knows where the sewer main is won't think the trees are their job, someone who knows about trees probably won't know where the sewer main is, and the odds of either of them paying attention are slim. It's not like either group is likely to be patrolling looking for rogue arborealists.

Right, but I'm more thinking ten years down the line when they're starting to grow to a reasonable size, at which point someone probably will notice and arrange for them to be uprooted while they're small enough to deal with. You don't exactly have to move quickly when you're dealing with trees, and if the choice is between pulling out some young trees or rerouting a sewage pipe or water main that you didn't know was under the place you were planting then it ain't the trees that will be staying.

Fake edit: some other goons have weighed in, appreciate the info.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AceOfFlames posted:

So there's not going to be an extension request? It seems as if there should be a bigger uproar.

there will be, but not one that keeps britain in after october

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The working assumption, including from the courts, is that Johnson will clearly abide by the instruction to seek an extension eventually, because not doing so would represent an unfathomable breach of the relationship between parliament at the government, so we don't need to do anything as gauche as to give him a firmer instruction.

So it's all just so much guff between now and the deadline, basically.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

Farmers might but what makes you think local authorities are going to know that the official looking tree planting isn't supposed to be there? Someone who knows where the sewer main is won't think the trees are their job, someone who knows about trees probably won't know where the sewer main is, and the odds of either of them paying attention are slim. It's not like either group is likely to be patrolling looking for rogue arborealists.

"I don't know who's responsible but it's probably not me" is a powerful axiom.

Like at work I regularly walk into places I've never been before with no ID and no prior booking and nobody gives a poo poo, as long as you look like you know what you're doing. It's always someone else's problem.

Trees are great at planting themselves. if there's no trees growing at some place there's a decent chance it's because somebody cuts them down

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/DCKennard/status/1181509290181500928?s=19
https://twitter.com/TobyonTV/status/1181504405088198656?s=19

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ash Crimson posted:

Here's the most detailed thread I found with a bit of googling:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861918&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=254

As you can see, we were well ahead of the curve on this one.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1181509535086862336?s=19

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

So what’ll Johnson’s request be like? Is he going to call the EU peepeedoodoo’s while asking for an extension or something?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Barry Foster posted:

Lol at giving AoF sincere advice on changing his life for the better
got to try :shobon:

tritsch posted:

Hey, when you say music what is it you're doing exactly? I'm interested because I'd love to do the exact opposite career swap in the future and wondering what would be a realistic option... (thinking in some support roll/tech)
I'm performance / teaching, not a thing that's easy to swap to without good instrumental skills, and can be difficult to live on (also, you get hosed if your body starts going wrong). In terms of tech, haven't really looked into it, but a few thoughts occur. Depends on what kind of thing you're looking for; if it's not work for a single company it'll have to be a portfolio of stuff.

Sound engineer is one possibility, but that requires quite a bit of training and I don't know how much work there is - requires either increasing number of recording studios or sound-engineered gigs. Computer-aided performance is another - again, depends on live gigs, but there might be some backstage tech roles to do with stringing everything together and coordinating. You could get involved in development or use of accessible music - music creation methods for people with varying disabilities, for children without much musical education, etc. Involvement in music therapy is also a possibility - I'm guessing electronic sound production might be easier for some to manage. Along the same lines, creation of new tech-enabled instruments, not necessarily accessibility-related. I guess also peripatetic classes for music tech in schools - showing kids how to create music via tech. Finally, always the option of joining any startup / tech company creating music software, taking a different route into it.

No doubt lots of other stuff, but I've not really been involved in the tech side, sorry!

wood

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

forkboy84 posted:

Prepare for armed insurrection to overthrow the government and install a workers democracy.

That's about it I'm afraid, we are hosed.

I've got a bashing stick and steel capped workboots, I pray this will be enough to survive

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Right, but I'm more thinking ten years down the line when they're starting to grow to a reasonable size, at which point someone probably will notice and arrange for them to be uprooted while they're small enough to deal with. You don't exactly have to move quickly when you're dealing with trees, and if the choice is between pulling out some young trees or rerouting a sewage pipe or water main that you didn't know was under the place you were planting then it ain't the trees that will be staying.

Fake edit: some other goons have weighed in, appreciate the info.

Just to note: dead wood also sequesters carbon, so for climate control purposes it's not vital that every tree you plant lives as long as it possibly can.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mokotow posted:

So what’ll Johnson’s request be like? Is he going to call the EU peepeedoodoo’s while asking for an extension or something?

Parliament wrote the text of the request for him, he just has to officially deliver it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Not exactly surprising

https://twitter.com/peterjukes/status/1181511720008929281?s=19

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

1 November - No Deal Brexit. Tabloids rejoice, Wetherspoons offer a free pint, the sales of those little flags that go on car windows rockets

2 November - Mass protest in major cities. 50 photographers capture a student putting a bin through a window. Kettling.

3 November - Traffic jam to ports stretch for 100 miles. Luxury items are helicoptered in.

5 November - Rioting begins due to food shortages. COBRA meeting begins as government has meetings about PR campaigns.

6 November - Curfews declared in major cities. Country runs out of tobacco, forcing everyone to vape.

18 November - Corbyn and shadow cabinet declared enemies of the people, locked up in cryostasis

23 November - Double recession. All supply chains collapse, forcing people to eat dried rice as they await humanitarian aid from the EU.

12 December - War declared in Ireland. NHS sold to USA for emergency funds.

24 December - Emperor Johnson assassinated. Emperor Mogg declares the UK a separate time entity, resetting all calendars to 0.

31 December - Everywhere outside of London is bulldozed to make way for the next stage. Billionaires who had shorted the pound enact Project Fear+, based off Christopher Nolan's batman films.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Well, Hard Brexit then, good thing everyone's fully prepared:

quote:

Battle over UK fund to prepare for no-deal Brexit

LONDON — The U.K. government will this week herald a multi-million pound fund to help prepare business for a no-deal Brexit — but businesses don’t know what to spend it on.

The government is demanding grant money awarded through its £15-million Business Readiness Fund must be spent before October 31 but several sectors say the lack of information about what trade rules would look like if the U.K. does crash out of the European Union with no deal makes it difficult for them to prepare training and other resources in time.

The government announced the initiative on August 29, and it will make public who has won funding this week.

Richard Ballantyne, chief executive of the British Ports Association, said that with October 31 “fast approaching,” his organization didn’t “know exactly what the actual post-Brexit cross border trade requirements will be, which means it is very difficult to plan any preparation training and resources for our sector.”

Ballantyne added that his association had not had time to prepare a grant application as the “window was quite short and the period by which the money needs to be spent appears to be very swift.”

Tracking down someone in government to answer questions had also been difficult, he said. His organization may be involved with a wider shipping industry initiative.

Two other senior business figures raised similar issues but were unwilling to go on the record to voice concerns fearing it could jeopardize their future relationship with the government.

Vinous Ali, associate director of policy at TechUK, which has been awarded a grant, said the money would help her organization to increase its Brexit preparation output, but warned many of its members, particularly SMEs, had not and were unlikely to take any steps to prepare for Brexit on October 31. Continued support and assistance would be necessary in the months after the U.K.’s departure, she warned.

TechUK was disappointed the fund did not provide for that, she said. “It will be crucial that support and advice are available to them in the weeks and months following a no-deal Brexit.”

A U.K. government official said there would be “other mechanisms” to help businesses after October 31, but that it would be “more helpful” to prepare before a no-deal Brexit.

Blame game

The Confederation of British Industry is among the business groups which did not apply for a grant and has already come under fire from former Brexit Minister Steve Baker.

The CBI launched its own no-deal website at the weekend and a spokesman said it had been helping members prepare for a potential no-deal exit from the EU for many months. He added the organization had made Brexit preparedness guidance and publications available for all U.K. businesses, not just members.

“This is something the CBI is doing by itself as the quickest way of sharing information with businesses of all sizes and sectors affected,” the spokesman said.

But Baker, who was the minister responsible for no-deal planning until last year, told the Sunday Telegraph the body was “woeful” and suggested it may be exposed for “incompetence” if the U.K. does leave the EU without a deal.

The National Farmers Union also decided not to apply for the grant.

“We obviously had a good look at the scheme and decided that there wasn’t anything that we wanted to use it for that we weren’t doing already,” NFU Director General Terry Jones said.

The Freight Transport Association said it had successfully received a grant that it would use to stage an extensive series of workshops for haulers to provide them with details of what they will need to do before Britain leaves the EU.

“Our main priority is to ensure we help our members to get ready for a possible no-deal departure from the EU. Once we know what is definitely going to happen on that day, we will discuss the options with government but, meanwhile, [we] have an intensive program of workshops to deliver around the country,” a spokeswoman said.

A department for business, energy and industrial strategy spokesperson said: “We want to make sure businesses are ready for Brexit, which is why we made this Business Readiness Fund available to business organizations and trade associations to help both their members and non-members prepare. We have already received more than 250 applications and have recently increased the fund from £10 million to £15 million, as well as extending the deadline for applications.”

The sheer amount of incompetence boggles the mind.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mokotow posted:

The Benn Act included specific wording for the extension request.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

OwlFancier posted:

Like at work I regularly walk into places I've never been before with no ID and no prior booking and nobody gives a poo poo, as long as you look like you know what you're doing. It's always someone else's problem.

Are you agent Hitman from well-known video game series Hitman?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I prefer the one from that video where Jezza becomes PM and we all eat cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hope everyone's prepared for a fight back when the first shoplifter gets shot.