Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

bobvonunheil posted:

It's "Everyone should respect me", not "I should respect others"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

warning: :nms:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Daniel Andrews attempts stand up:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/andrews-says-extinction-rebellion-not-winning-many-friends-20191008-p52ym1.html

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I'm inclined to agree that Spartacists get nothing done.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I will bring the Macedonians and outmaneuver you.

oh yes, gentrify me JBP-sama

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

What if he’s right

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/1181395671066112000

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

BBJoey posted:

What if he’s right

He isn't right. Peaceful protest has been ignored. Coordinated civil disobedience is the next logical step. People will join.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Remember when hundreds of trucks drove into Canberra to protest against a price on carbon and the Coalition was apparently fine with protests blocking streets?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I remember when hundreds of thousands of people joined together in a totally peaceful demonstration to protest Australia's involvement in Iraq, which the government promptly ignored.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Amethyst posted:

He isn't right. Peaceful protest has been ignored. Coordinated civil disobedience is the next logical step. People will join.

I hope you’re right, but struggle to foresee protests reaching critical mass when the Australian public can’t even clear the bar of not electing the Coalition.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Bargearse posted:

I remember when hundreds of thousands of people joined together in a totally peaceful demonstration to protest Australia's involvement in Iraq, which the government promptly ignored.

All these things do is test to what limit each individual needs to hit before saying "well at least I tried!" and getting back to normal

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

JBP posted:

All these things do is test to what limit each individual needs to hit before saying "well at least I tried!" and getting back to normal

Because it was mainly affecting far off foreigners. If Australians were being killed daily the movement would have escalated from the protests.Extinction rebellion will escalate as climate change starts to really bite.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

JBP posted:

Yes, until they don’t. That’s under pre climate change circumstances.

Meanwhile the normalcy bias isn’t applying to the bushfire season, droughts or the antarctic.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I feel a little weird posting in this thread about this but I'll try and muster whatever support I can right now. Two XR people (Tom and Lily) are still being held at Surry Hills station. They refused to sign the bail conditions last night. Today they went before a magistrate who struck those egregious conditions down. Police are still refusing to release them. I am back up in the mountains and currently under those draconian bail conditions until I can get them varied. So I can't go down myself. If anyone is in or near Surry Hills there is a protest underway there now. I urge anyone who can to spread the word about this and help us get these guys out. They are both absolutely lovely people and don't deserve this.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

gently caress nsw cops. i hope there's someone in here or out there who can help, dude. apologies from victoria

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Crisis over. They were just released.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Don't know why I'm sharing this but don't really know what the gently caress else to do, just want to give a thread shoutout to my dog who we had to put down this afternoon. He was the best dog in the whole entire world and if you have a pet you should give them lots of treats and love tonight.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Senor Tron posted:

Remember when hundreds of trucks drove into Canberra to protest against a price on carbon and the Coalition was apparently fine with protests blocking streets?

but it's canberra, nothing of importance happens there to obstruct.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
That sucks, hope you're OK :(

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

does Australia have any history of movements* through protests or mass civil disobedience like the US does?

*outside of making GBS threads itself every 3 years

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i'm gonna clarify that a bit further to 'successful' examples

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Whitlam posted:

Don't know why I'm sharing this but don't really know what the gently caress else to do, just want to give a thread shoutout to my dog who we had to put down this afternoon. He was the best dog in the whole entire world and if you have a pet you should give them lots of treats and love tonight.

I'm so sorry to hear this, hope you are looking after yourself

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Whitlam posted:

Oh no. Sorry for your loss. Dogs are the best people.

Sappy Fingers
Jun 16, 2006

vlc owns sorry wrongs

BBJoey posted:

What if he’s right
XR is cool and good. The Brisbane chapter has lots of nice people and it's only getting bigger :)

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Thanks everyone. poo poo loving sucks.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

remember the drought relief funding that coincidentally ended up almost entirely in liberal electorates?

Councillor calls for $1m drought support funding to be redirected away from his area posted:

The Federal Drought Minister wants an audit of Bureau of Meteorology rainfall figures as a Victorian councillor rejects the need for his shire to receive $1 million in drought support.

Moyne Shire Council in south-west Victoria got the money in last week's drought funding boost, but farmer and councillor Colin Ryan says there is just one problem.

"We're not drought affected. We don't need the money for drought reasons and I believe it should be redirected to more deserving areas of Australia," he told AM.

Drought Minister David Littleproud defended the grant and said it was based off Bureau of Meteorology figures that predicted a dry summer ahead.

But in the face of criticism about the funding, he said he wanted the numbers used to allocate the funding checked.

The district is in the federal electorate of Wannon, held by Education Minister Dan Tehan.

Mr Tehan's office did not respond to questions from the ABC about whether he had been involved in the granting of the $1 million.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-30/councillor-calls-for-$1-million-drought-support-to-be-redirected/11558818

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Sappy Fingers posted:

XR is cool and good. The Brisbane chapter has lots of nice people and it's only getting bigger :)

It is and I implore anyone on the fence about joining to get off it and join. Even if you think the cause is hopeless you will never meet a kinder, more thoroughly decent group of people in your life. Better to face the coming poo poo storm with good people that can at least agree it's coming. You don't need to be arrested (although it helps) to find a role and be valuable. There are a whole range of important roles people can fill. When I got let out last night I walked out of the police station and into the arms of half a dozen friendly faces ready with food, support, a place to stay if I wanted. It's also not just about protesting. Know how to grow food and want to teach that skill to people? That's an action you can do. Everyone has something they can offer.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hambeet posted:

i'm gonna clarify that a bit further to 'successful' examples
the people currently occupying the sacred Aboriginal land and trees in vic that were going to be bulldozed have got the gov to stand down and are going to have talks with Aboriginal elders so they can come to a compromise

so that’s a win i’d say

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Attempts by the WA Government to limit power price rises could lead to inflation-busting bill hikes or taxpayer-funded bailouts down the line for the state's stricken power retailer, energy experts and the Opposition warn.

State-owned Synergy last month handed down the biggest financial reverse ever reported by a WA Government trading enterprise, booking a $657 million loss for the 12 months to June 30.

At the heart of the result was the runaway uptake of rooftop solar and large-scale renewable energy, which Synergy said was hollowing out demand for electricity from its coal- and gas-fired power plants.

Revenues fell by 4.7 per cent to $2.84 billion, while the amount of solar in the South West grid rose by more than 20 per cent to 1100 megawatts of capacity.

The dire performance prompted Synergy to announce in August that it would bring forward the partial closure of its biggest coal-fired generator, Muja in Collie, from 2022.

On the back of the decision, Synergy wrote down the value of its plant and equipment by a massive $430 million.

This has left the group with a net asset value of just $250 million, compared with $1.13 billion in 2014, once provisions for huge costs such as decommissioning Muja are offset against the value remaining in its assets.

:byodood: THE FREE MARKET

Whitlam posted:

:sympathy:

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Can anyone tell me what this click bait article by convicted-racist is about?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/...5856-1570328872

I hate myself and therefore want to indulge AB

Whitlam posted:

That is really poo poo, condolences

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 8, 2019

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hambeet posted:

does Australia have any history of movements* through protests or mass civil disobedience like the US does?

*outside of making GBS threads itself every 3 years

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight-hour_day#Australia

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I wonder exactly how long it took for this to get capitalism-ed into non existence

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I feel a little weird posting in this thread about this but I'll try and muster whatever support I can right now. Two XR people (Tom and Lily) are still being held at Surry Hills station. They refused to sign the bail conditions last night. Today they went before a magistrate who struck those egregious conditions down. Police are still refusing to release them. I am back up in the mountains and currently under those draconian bail conditions until I can get them varied. So I can't go down myself. If anyone is in or near Surry Hills there is a protest underway there now. I urge anyone who can to spread the word about this and help us get these guys out. They are both absolutely lovely people and don't deserve this.

Some SC will take this pro bono, hopefully? Have you rung around?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Amethyst posted:

Some SC will take this pro bono, hopefully? Have you rung around?

There a quite a few issues that will be put to the NSW Council of Civil liberties in coming weeks. For now they've been released and a magistrate has found the bail conditions imposed by NSW Police to be excessive. So that's a win. Hopefully everyone else takes the time to get their bail conditions varied this week. I know I will be. I think next time everyone will be given the advice not to sign any bail conditions they believe are excessive and just spend the night in custody. The cops got away with it this time because nobody was really prepared for them to do it.

But to answer your question; yes there are people with various levels of legal expertise working behind the scenes to help people navigate their bail issues and court appearances.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Sappy Fingers posted:

I know some of the organizers here in WA and they are good people doing good work.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

That's a good one.

Anything else?

I ask because I recall a convo I had with a yank mate about six months ago, and he was banging on about how protesting is much more effective in the US than Australia, and was citing their history of such movements like civil rights, vietnam war and a handful others I can't recall right now.

Anyway was just curious.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Oct 8, 2019

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

not sure about the effectiveness of anti-Vietnam protests, chief

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hambeet posted:

That's a good one.

Anything else?

The environmental movement in the 80s?