Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Scikar posted:

You're right we should have fixed this with planning years ago, but rail, public transport and cycling really are the only way out of this. Electric cars are just trying to paper over the cracks.

So building twenty or so car factories is more difficult and slower than doubling the coverage and capacity of the London Underground, plus building equivalent systems in twenty more towns? Who knew.

Electric cars are not something we have the luxury of declaring unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Scikar posted:

The electric cars you want aren't even ready for production on the scale that you're asking though. As you said we need to cut emissions yesterday, we don't have time to wait for Elon's magical automated factory to scale up.

that didn't work as it is never mind at scale, there's a reason established car makers already tried that stuff and went back to doing things manually. guy's a maroon and makes his cars in a tent

Also replacing existing ICE cars isn't necessarily more environmentally friendly than just using them til they reach the end of their life. There should definitely be more focus on encouraging adoption, plus building the infrastructure that makes electricity a more viable energy source for everything (since we'll need to move to more modern energy systems anyway). But there also needs to be more investment in public transport, so it becomes the default way for people to get around, and personal car use is massively reduced

It's complicated because there are tradeoffs - even ignoring the environmental costs of creating and disposing of batteries (which have a limited lifespan and need replacing earlier than that because of the way capacity degrades) electric cars still cause pollution, because it's not just what comes out of the exhaust. Particulate matter is one of the major types of pollution produced by cars, that's from tyre and road wear, brake dust, and surface dust on the road surface being disturbed. The amount produced is hugely affected by the weight of the car, and guess what - electric cars are heavy as poo poo because batteries are heavy and everyone wants hundreds of miles of range on a single charge

So you'd actually be making things worse in some ways if you just replaced all ICE cars with electrics. Really there needs to be a cultural shift away from this consumerist idea that everyone needs their own car and it needs to be able to make long trips if you ever felt like it. Massive public transport investment is crucial, and incentivise smaller, lighter runabout electric cars. And invest in researching better energy/fuel tech because batteries are still bad

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Brexit/status/1181506982727094272

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Ash Crimson posted:

With brexit coming up, what can i do beyond stockpiling medicine (well the ones that can be stockpiled...) and food?

Stockpiling food is dumb because the long-life food that can be stockpiled is the least likely to be affected by border delays caused by brexit. If there's a forecast for an increased demand or supply shortages then it can be warehoused to smooth the bumps in supply. It's the fresh foods with short shelf lifes that will be affected. Just-In-Time grocery deliveries from the continent currently can go from producer to shelf in 48 hours and supermarkets use pretty sophisticated forecasting models to order enough in with minimal waste. Suddenly adding the uncertainty of no-deal import rules and your predictable 48 hour turnaround turns into "well maybe it'll be 50 hours or it could be 5 days". That's where the reduced choice and increased prices will come from on a huge range of fresh foods. There's a load of knock-on effects from ingredient transport: i.e. milk or egg powder shipped from the UK then made into a product and shipped back, but the major effect that everyone will notice will be the most short-life fresh goods that rely on tight just-in-time networks.

tl;dr there's nothing meaningful you can do. stockpiling won't do anything useful but go ahead if it makes you feel better.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Jacob Rees Mogg celebrates as Boris secures a big paycheck for him and his mates.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

why the gently caress are the police doing this

https://twitter.com/UKinOman/status/1181517167088545792

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It rules that the middle class rebellion against against climate change basically involves them getting absolutely humiliated by the police and then thanking them for it. So glad we live in this world.

Feel really sorry for Greta Thunberg though. Her entire life is just an existential nightmare of getting to meet all the most powerful people in the world, being patronisingly praised and then them going straight back to ignoring climate change and the only people really paying her any real attention are the most psychotic right wing cunts who screech in rage about how dare this child speak to them like she has a right to live past 30 in a non boiling hellscape and then hang effigies of her off of bridges.

Her life is basically that scene from the Boondocks where Huey Freeman goes to the garden party and says "Jesus was Black, Ronald Regan was the devil and the government is lying about 9/11" and the upper class white folk just praise him for speaking very eloquently and then go back to the party.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah god I identify so hard with her right now.

It must be incredibly lovely being in her position.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

An Irish journalist called Chris Cook wrote up a six piece long read on the inside-no. 10-baseball on Brexit during May's time, and how that played out during the negotiations. It's superb and you should all read it:

https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/18/brexit-part-one/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/18/brexit-part-2/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/19/brexit-day-part-3/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/19/brexit-part-4/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/25/brexit-part-5/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/25/brexit-part-6/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/26/brexit-epilogue/content.html

It's extremely well written and clearly this guy understands what he's on about super well.

I dunno if it's a 'done thing' to pro-click your own posts, but I'm doing it anyway.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 8, 2019

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

justcola posted:

24 December - Emperor Johnson assassinated. Emperor Mogg declares the UK a separate time entity, resetting all calendars to 0.

26th December - The Lib Dem led Vichy Government announces that Marshal Swinson has successfully negotiated increased drinking water rations in exchange for unanimous support for the death penalty. The rations are only made available in the London financial district. Emperor Mogg declares membership of the Lib Dems is an offence punishable by the death penalty. Chukka defects to the brexit party.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Deleter posted:

Note one of my favourites but it's solid. Mightily Oats' arc is good.
In retrospect though, especially given that the time that it was published, the New Magpyrs and the system of soft control at Escrow (plus positive mental attitude all symbols are meaningless) remind me a lot of the Neoliberal individualist Tories (and Blairism), compared to the Old Count, who is an aristocratic traditionalist who hunts people for sport but manages to look good by comparison.

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
Ive worked form home in my job for the past 18 months. Prior to that I was driving 200+miles a week just driving to work and back.

Nothing has convinced me more how much of a waste of time commuting and office-based work is. So many jobs could easily done from home. Would save loads on travel, emissions, cost of getting to work etc.

Never mind it frees up 2 hours in my day, and makes my lunch hour actually useful (which frees up even more time that I could spend with family after work)

Its been a game changer for me in terms of pretty much every part of my life.

And I'm still more productive than the people based in the office.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Midnight- posted:

Ive worked form home in my job for the past 18 months. Prior to that I was driving 200+miles a week just driving to work and back.

Nothing has convinced me more how much of a waste of time commuting and office-based work is. So many jobs could easily done from home. Would save loads on travel, emissions, cost of getting to work etc.

Never mind it frees up 2 hours in my day, and makes my lunch hour actually useful (which frees up even more time that I could spend with family after work)

Its been a game changer for me in terms of pretty much every part of my life.

And I'm still more productive than the people based in the office.

Im trying to convince my company to let me work remotely full time, we are rapidly running out of office space so thats gonna be my pitch.

Now that im doing more infosec stuff and less IT hands on stuff its hopefully just a matter of time

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Greta owns and it's honestly refreshing to actually see someone angrily calling this stuff out and not falling back into a "ok thankyou do yr best" position once she's had her say. The sad thing is so few people actually manage to get heard like that, especially not with an established platform (for now) so she's gonna be the target of every reactionary out there. She's sticking her neck out and it's sad to see her supporters being all "hey let's be nice and polite"

I just hope her generation is taking notice of how it's all playing out so they're less naive about how things work

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

baka kaba posted:

Greta owns and it's honestly refreshing to actually see someone angrily calling this stuff out and not falling back into a "ok thankyou do yr best" position once she's had her say. The sad thing is so few people actually manage to get heard like that, especially not with an established platform (for now) so she's gonna be the target of every reactionary out there. She's sticking her neck out and it's sad to see her supporters being all "hey let's be nice and polite"

I just hope her generation is taking notice of how it's all playing out so they're less naive about how things work

The smart ones are, for sure.

I never fail to be encouraged by conversations with smart teenagers.

But then, they mention that they're about the only ones their age who car that they known and it's all :smith: again.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

A friend of mine is a senior executive for Fender. He spends the vast majority of his working day on a plane, going to meetings all over Europe. Thousands upon thousands of air miles that could be replaced with a laptop and Skype, but no, this is big business so everything has to be :jerkbag:face to face :jerkbag: otherwise apparently the workplace descends into anarchy

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

radmonger posted:

So building twenty or so car factories is more difficult and slower than doubling the coverage and capacity of the London Underground, plus building equivalent systems in twenty more towns? Who knew.

Electric cars are not something we have the luxury of declaring unnecessary.

London has the lowest level of car ownership in the country. Purely by coincidence*, it also has vastly superior public transport than the rest of the country. You don't have to build a single tunnel or even anything at all in London, just put actual buses, trams and cycle lanes in every other major city and you'd already cut half the cars we need.

*Not actually a coincidence

Scikar fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 8, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vlex posted:

The Führerdelikatessen has a nice ring to it

I'll be opening the first branch of Burger Fuhrer. Our slogan: Have It Our Way.

"wilkommen to Burger Fuhrer, what is your order?"

"A cheeseburger meal with Diet Coke, please."

"would you like the Große meal?"

"No thank you, but do you have any sachets of mayo-"

"We will ask the questions!"

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Wachter posted:

A friend of mine is a senior executive for Fender. He spends the vast majority of his working day on a plane, going to meetings all over Europe. Thousands upon thousands of air miles that could be replaced with a laptop and Skype, but no, this is big business so everything has to be :jerkbag:face to face :jerkbag: otherwise apparently the workplace descends into anarchy

When i was job hunting a few years ago, a company out in Barcelona wanted to fly me out for an inteview from Scotland last minute (literally phoned me at 7pm the night before to get on a flight). I didnt want to scramble to get a plane so just asked if we could do it over skype and they said "Hmm thats not the way we do things"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

After a weekend of fierce fighting we have secured the soups and tinned goods aisle from the Peoples Revolutionary Militia but we are hearing dark news that our allies in the Sovreign Native Front have lost Frozen Foods and we fear an encirclement. A mechanised trolley unit is being deployed to break out of the pocket but we are in dire need of reinforcement.
God save Queen Hopkins and Lord Protector Mogg!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

The smart ones are, for sure.

I never fail to be encouraged by conversations with smart teenagers.

But then, they mention that they're about the only ones their age who car that they known and it's all :smith: again.
"I'm the only one who really knows whats going on" is just teenagers.lwp

The great* thing about the internet is that they can all get together about things. And the great* thing about social change it only takes a few percent.

*and sometimes terrible

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

CyberPingu posted:

When i was job hunting a few years ago, a company out in Barcelona wanted to fly me out for an inteview from Scotland last minute (literally phoned me at 7pm the night before to get on a flight). I didnt want to scramble to get a plane so just asked if we could do it over skype and they said "Hmm thats not the way we do things"

I can actually understand wanting to do interviews F2F, you pick up a lot from body language and the little bits before and after the "interview" per se.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

they've got him

https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1181535101244641280?s=20

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Working from home full time is a nightmare for me because doing that would mean I would never talk to a human being face to face again.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

I can actually understand wanting to do interviews F2F, you pick up a lot from body language and the little bits before and after the "interview" per se.

Eh, sure, id say for a first interview they could have done a skype one and then tried to get me in later, but this was a "get on a plane or gently caress you" thing

AceOfFlames posted:

Working from home full time is a nightmare for me because doing that would mean I would never talk to a human being face to face again.

Currently i do 1 day a week wfh but i want to shift that to 1 day a week in office. So im still getting that exposure to someone other than my wife and toddler

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 8, 2019

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

The Deleter posted:

Finally, the Skeleton War can be made real!

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

CyberPingu posted:

thats not the way we do things

urgh

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

In retrospect though, especially given that the time that it was published, the New Magpyrs and the system of soft control at Escrow (plus positive mental attitude all symbols are meaningless) remind me a lot of the Neoliberal individualist Tories (and Blairism), compared to the Old Count, who is an aristocratic traditionalist who hunts people for sport but manages to look good by comparison.

It's kind of complicated because the Old Count made sure to empower his subjects so they could easily remove him if they felt he was going too far. It was less aristocratic predation and more a consensual BDSM relationship with an entire feudal domain.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Scikar posted:

London has the lowest level of car ownership in the country. Purely by coincidence*, it also has vastly superior public transport than the rest of the country. You don't have to build a single tunnel or even anything at all in London, just put actual buses, trams and cycle lanes in every other major city and you'd already cut half the cars we need.

*Not actually a coincidence

Yes, London per capita emissions are half the UK average (3.5 versus 6.5 metric tonnes, despite being considerably richer. Which is why I said you’d only have to double the tube capacity in London, as opposed to building from scratch as elsewhere.

The thing about getting to zero is it doesn’t matter if a particular thing is the first, second or seventh highest priority; you have to do everything in the top 10, at least. Including banning plastic straws.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

CyberPingu posted:

Eh, sure, id say for a first interview they could have done a skype one and then tried to get me in later, but this was a "get on a plane or gently caress you" thing

Currently i do 1 day a week wfh but i want to shift that to 1 day a week in office. So im still getting that exposure to someone other than my wife and toddler

Yeah I mean clearly the less than 24 hours notice is to see how willing you are to put up with ridiculous impositions on your freedom.

I'm gonna move from 1 to 2 days WFH before Xmas, it all pivots on how easily I can nick my dual monitors and docking station from work.

If I could also nick my ergonomic chair that would be great but that's probably less likely

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah I mean clearly the less than 24 hours notice is to see how willing you are to put up with ridiculous impositions on your freedom.

I'm gonna move from 1 to 2 days WFH before Xmas, it all pivots on how easily I can nick my dual monitors and docking station from work.

If I could also nick my ergonomic chair that would be great but that's probably less likely

The place I work at now provides harmon ergo chairs for remote workers if they put in a request with hr

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Junior G-man posted:

https://twitter.com/eucopresident/status/1181519363783974912?s=20

It's extremely, extremely unusual to see any EU official, let alone the Presidency, get so explicit. I imagine the poo poo the UK delegation has been feeding them behind closed doors isn't going down well.

I can think of only one equivalent time and that was the depths of the Greek Crisis, and even then it wasn't this explicit and it was Guy Verhofstadt who isn't nearly as highly placed.

Replies like this self-regarding nonsense

https://twitter.com/DavidCInRomford/status/1181520366549831680

Remind me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsPDT5qHtZ4

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/LanceForman/status/1181531774414999552?s=19

:hmmyes:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

CyberPingu posted:

Home Office getting devious

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I think Greta should start getting militant. She's small enough to hide in bags and poo poo.

Also why is there no baby Boris balloon?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Hentai Jihadist posted:

After a weekend of fierce fighting we have secured the soups and tinned goods aisle from the Peoples Revolutionary Militia but we are hearing dark news that our allies in the Sovreign Native Front have lost Frozen Foods and we fear an encirclement. A mechanised trolley unit is being deployed to break out of the pocket but we are in dire need of reinforcement.
God save Queen Hopkins and Lord Protector Mogg!

For some reason, this reminds me of J G Ballard's book "High Rise".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

baka kaba posted:

what is capitalism if not the fact that mam and dad don't loving listen, but as a society??

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

radmonger posted:

Yes, London per capita emissions are half the UK average (3.5 versus 6.5 metric tonnes, despite being considerably richer. Which is why I said you’d only have to double the tube capacity in London, as opposed to building from scratch as elsewhere.

The thing about getting to zero is it doesn’t matter if a particular thing is the first, second or seventh highest priority; you have to do everything in the top 10, at least. Including banning plastic straws.

Or you could build actual cycle lanes. Actually invest in the basics in other major cities so you don't need to have insane numbers of people concentrated in London. Doubling the tube isn't necessary in any case.

Even if we built all these factories that you want, car production across the entire EU is 20 million per year. Do you even realise the scale you're talking about to get 40 million electric vehicles in the UK alone? Where are you even going to put those factories? How will the workers and resources get to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

baka kaba posted:

I don't know if it's just a rhetorical device but she keeps saying stuff like "you aren't evil, you don't really want to destroy the planet, wake up" to world leaders, when the better message is to address the masses with "your leaders are evil and want to destroy the planet, wake up"