Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Hey, new Isekai Quartet next January with some new characters introduced! 😃

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...eason-2/.151917

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-10-07/isekai-quartet-2-anime-promo-video-reveals-january-premiere/.151962

Deepest and most sincere condolences to those of you who liked this show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

doomrider7 posted:

Hey, new Isekai Quartet next January with some new characters introduced! 😃

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...eason-2/.151917

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-10-07/isekai-quartet-2-anime-promo-video-reveals-january-premiere/.151962

Deepest and most sincere condolences to those of you who liked this show

oh for fucks sake

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Why stop there? Bring the rest of the trash.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

kirbysuperstar posted:

oh for fucks sake

All things considered, this was the predictable outcome since it's actually owned by the parent company Kadokawa. But even expected I'm still loving pissed and disappointed.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
They could always throw in the guy from Arifureta, Smartphone, and something else and just have a season dedicated to making GBS threads on them. It would still suck.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Anora posted:

They could always throw in the guy from Arifureta, Smartphone, and something else and just have a season dedicated to making GBS threads on them. It would still suck.

What bothers me the most is that all of those have gotten anime adaptations...and here we are, still loving waiting for Otoyomegetari and Dungeon Meshi

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
In better Isekai news, Funa has finally made it on the anime screen with 'I Said Make My Abilities Average, Didn't I' releasing, and so far, the first episode has absolutely delivered.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

My idea for an Isekai :

A stage magician and illusionist is Isekai'ed into another world. He performs tricks for a king, which impresses the king greatly. However when he's asked to teach the magic to other mages and refuses, he's thrown in jail. While in jail the princess approaches him and demands to know the secret behind his tricks. When he explains slight-of-hand, distraction, and other forms of stage magic she quickly realizes it could have other uses. So she makes him a proposal - he will train others to become illusionists to work as covert agents, and in return he'll be granted not only freedom but a sizable income and political power.

Thus the magician begins training up a cadre of recruits to become masters of the illusionary arts. Isekai Spy Corps.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

khy posted:

My idea for an Isekai :

A stage magician and illusionist is Isekai'ed into another world. He performs tricks for a king, which impresses the king greatly. However when he's asked to teach the magic to other mages and refuses, he's thrown in jail. While in jail the princess approaches him and demands to know the secret behind his tricks. When he explains slight-of-hand, distraction, and other forms of stage magic she quickly realizes it could have other uses. So she makes him a proposal - he will train others to become illusionists to work as covert agents, and in return he'll be granted not only freedom but a sizable income and political power.

Thus the magician begins training up a cadre of recruits to become masters of the illusionary arts. Isekai Spy Corps.

That's actually not bad at all.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
An isekai mangaka gets isekai'd into his own isekai, where he's also an isekai mangaka.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

An isekai mangaka gets isekai'd into his own isekai, where he's also an isekai mangaka.

Isekaiception

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
An isekai anthology about people isekai'd into the objects that Megumin from KonoSuba explodes.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

It's not really the same at all but My Wife is a Demon Queen sort of feels like it'd be leaning this way.

A loser who's only good at drawing gets sucked into another world where, surprise surprise, he finds magical pens which let him draw poo poo like mecha armor and microwaves and whatnot.

doomrider7 posted:

That's actually not bad at all.

My favorite Isekai's are often ones where the MC actually trains up others to be stronger and better, rather than stealing the spotlight themselves.

khy fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 8, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
https://twitter.com/pkjd8I8/status/1181156349406658560?s=09

This really is the worst timeline. Also yeah, this likely means that we're seeing the Arifureta cast in Isekai Quartet. Sigh...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
An isekai where the protagonist is reincarnated as himself but half an inch taller. Somehow, this matters.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

nrook posted:

Is the Paladin of the End novel any good?

I don't know but I've considered buying them off J-Novel Club. I've really, really liked the manga so far and I've heard some good things about the novels.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
New Chapter of Duke's Daughter

https://mangadex.org/title/17720/koushaku-reijou-no-tashinami

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

An isekai where the protagonist is reincarnated as himself but half an inch taller. Somehow, this matters.

The Ben Shapiro isekai

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

https://twitter.com/pkjd8I8/status/1181156349406658560?s=09

This really is the worst timeline. Also yeah, this likely means that we're seeing the Arifureta cast in Isekai Quartet. Sigh...

lmao the protagonist looks like someone tried to comically create a chuuni character design.

I remember Arifureta being one of the sorta mean-spirited isekai in a similar vein to Shield Hero. Like it had a short "main character is weak and lame" period at the beginning just so he could become stronger than all his classmates later.

There's something uniquely pathetic about the isekai that have "becoming stronger than all the popular kids in my class, who seem strong at first but are actually weak, unlike me who is so fuckin strong" as part of their premise.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
From what I remember of what I read of it, Arifureta isn't actively abhorrent like Shield Hero is. It's just obnoxiously edgy and chuuni, and overall just not all that great in a very normal way. Not awful, just...bad.

It's main notable point is that I'm pretty sure it created? (or at least popularized) the "whole class summoned to another world by a king and/or princess and they all get powers only the MC's powers are bad and they're bullied and the bullies try to murder them but the MC survives, gets strong on their own and comes back for revenge" subgenre of isekai. It's common enough that I'm a little surprised this is the first one we've seen adapted to anime?

I also get the impression that the author thinks waaaay too highly of his own work and can't let it go. He's written so many epilogue chapters there are getting to be more chapters after the "end" of the story than there are beforehand. And IIRC there was some drama about him being very controlling and particular about the details of the anime adaptation?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Arifutera is so bad, it loops around to being hilarious for me. I wouldn't bother paying for it or watching the anime but it brought me some amusement.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Another reason I like Kumoko. Sure, past relationships between classmates matter but where cliques and groups are split are almost entirely down to what they've done and who they've become since they were reborn in another world.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The author is a huge chuunibyo fan and is actively pursuing it as a goal.

I don't really like where the story goes, but I really enjoyed the first arc when he's in the hell dungeon and has to survive by being inventive, while missing an arm that was eaten bys monster.

It's not as great after they leave the dungeon, but I'll defend Yakuza bunny tribe.

I'm tilted that I wasn't made aware that Funa was getting an anime of her shows.

Is it simulcast anywhere?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Isekai where apparently nothing changed and they're redoing the same day again like they never got isekai'd and just continuing life as normal. Only it slowly becomes clear that now they work on cartoon logic now.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 8, 2019

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
An isekai where megumin is isekaid into dungeon meshi, or some random nerd is isekaid into dungeon Meshi and shows up for one panel every volume in the background and makes it get insanely more popular and finally get a high-budget anime and just shows up for ten seconds in the intro and does nothing else

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Endo and Kobayashi's Live Commentary

https://mangadex.org/title/38123/endo-and-kobayashis-live-commentary-on-the-villainess

Teared up a good bit. Everyone needs someone like Kobayashi in that moment of their lives and no one should ever feel like that EVER. And yeah I like that he's so adamant about getting the Golden Ending where everyone lives "Happily Ever After".

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

nrook posted:

Is the Paladin of the End novel any good?

Yes and no.

The first two novels are good although it's not really isekai. The third one feels like the author really wanted to do some world building and really liked D&D or watched a bunch of LOTR/Hobbit films and the last one is a collection of short stories that feel like the author starting writing but didn't know where to go next.

The author supposedly has writer's block since 2017 but with the manga coming out maybe he'll write some more.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

doomrider7 posted:

What bothers me the most is that all of those have gotten anime adaptations...and here we are, still loving waiting for Otoyomegetari and Dungeon Meshi
I don't want otoyomegatari adapted into anime unless it's being bankrolled by some billionaire weeb who's going to give every episode a movie-level budget for maximum hair animation and detailed rug threading

I also don't want a dungeon meshi anime until it's done and can be fully, properly adapted

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Kegslayer posted:

Yes and no.

The first two novels are good although it's not really isekai. The third one feels like the author really wanted to do some world building and really liked D&D or watched a bunch of LOTR/Hobbit films and the last one is a collection of short stories that feel like the author starting writing but didn't know where to go next.

The author supposedly has writer's block since 2017 but with the manga coming out maybe he'll write some more.

Okay, this is good to know, thanks. It's funny that the LN isn't really isekai either. I had figured that was just dropped in the manga because the author had gotten people to like their fantasy story on the merits and didn't feel obligated to follow the isekai hook anymore. But I suppose it was always perfunctory.

I may check it out.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

RareAcumen posted:

Isekai where apparently nothing changed and they're redoing the same day again like they never got isekai'd and just continuing life as normal. Only it slowly becomes clear that now they work on cartoon logic now.

I found something like this browsing new BL webtoons, a guy dies and is reborn back into exactly the same life he had only all the men want to gently caress him. It was bad so I didn't continue lol

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

I'm tilted that I wasn't made aware that Funa was getting an anime of her shows.

Is it simulcast anywhere?

Make My Abilities Average is on CR

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I think Arifureta is hot trash but I'm not going to pretend I'm not enjoying the after stories. It's basically what takes place after the isekai story ends and now there's just a bunch of super powered folks running around earth getting into hijinks. It's way less serious than the main story.

I think there are so many chapters in the after story it's probably going to overtake the main story soon, if it hasn't already.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't want otoyomegatari adapted into anime unless it's being bankrolled by some billionaire weeb who's going to give every episode a movie-level budget for maximum hair animation and detailed rug threading

I also don't want a dungeon meshi anime until it's done and can be fully, properly adapted

Fair points. It's still frustrating as gently caress though. Say, what studio's would you have in mind actually?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is bones still good, or does madhouse still exist, probably one of those. Or...or kyoani, before the arson. :smith:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The short of it:
  • Bones did/is doing My Hero Academia, Mob Psycho 100, Bungou Stray Dogs and Carole & Tuesday all in 2019 (with the first 3 being continuations), so yeah, they still got it.
  • Madhouse did Ace of Diamond's 2nd Season, the new Boogiepop series, and Afterlost. I think they're doing No Guns Life for Fall/Winter and I think someone mentioned they're doing another Mahouka season next year.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

Is bones still good, or does madhouse still exist, probably one of those. Or...or kyoani, before the arson. :smith:

Sigh...was gonna mention Kyoani as well, but yeah.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

doomrider7 posted:

Fair points. It's still frustrating as gently caress though. Say, what studio's would you have in mind actually?

all in on DEEN

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Isn't Arifureta the one where he meets a 400-year-old vampire in the body of a 12-year-old girl and they bang like rabbits on extacy? Or am I thinking of a different series?

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

khy posted:

Isn't Arifureta the one where he meets a 400-year-old vampire in the body of a 12-year-old girl and they bang like rabbits on extacy? Or am I thinking of a different series?

You are not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is cautious hero worth checking out? The concept sounds pretty hilarious.