Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

jesus WEP posted:

does anyone actually like assembling or is it just a thing you have to do before you get to the fun part

I like building big stuff but assembling some aggressors today made me mad. The worst thing is the newer high detail models with mould lines that go into deep grooves and are impossible to get without loving up the details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

dr_ether posted:

New job is sucking up time, but not too much. Here enjoy.

These look awesome! I love how colourful and vibrant everything is.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jesus WEP posted:

does anyone actually like assembling or is it just a thing you have to do before you get to the fun part

I like building more than I like painting.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

want me to send you a few sprues and six packs?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jesus WEP posted:

want me to send you a few sprues and six packs?

That sounds like an easy way to lose some fingers.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I like building more too, though that might be because I've done more building than painting, but I also find cleaning mold lines and flash stressful because so often (with PP minis at least) it's hard to tell when you've done enough to qualify as cleaned and I hate the lack of clarity there.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
That last page was a hot loving page.

:vince:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

*raises hand* For me it's the most relaxing part of the hobby. I enjoy painting too but the assembly part is just nice and calming, as I decide how the figure will look before I start slapping paint on it.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

:same:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

jesus WEP posted:

Playing > Assembly >>> Painting for me.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Inspector_666 posted:

Playing > Assembly >>> Painting for me.

Playing? Gross.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I love building standalone kits but hate building gaming kits.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

dr_ether posted:

How did you do this

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
My problem with building kits is what happens when the kit allows you to build more than one option. In that circumstance, I feel compelled to magnetize basically everything. It is a disease. It's too late for me, but save yourself. Let my madness and suffering serve as a warning to others.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Playing? Gross.
:emptyquote:

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Playing is a powerful motivator because painted miniatures make your dice roll better true facts. It's also a bummer to miss out on painting awards and stuff due to half your army just being primed or bare plastic.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Playing is a powerful motivator because painted miniatures make your dice roll better true facts.

confirming this as true

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

dr_ether posted:

These all look great, especially the chimera. How are you getting that base texture, is it a paste or something?

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
Airbrush compressor question. I’m about to retire my 15 (20 maybe?) year old Badger Cyclone II and pick up a Paasche D3000R*, I have a new 8’ Badger threaded hose and cannot for the life of me figure out if I need an adaptor for the hose-to-compressor. It’s just a 1/4” but do I need an NPT/BSP adaptor?

*I could be convinced to something otherwise but I like the low db and it’s a well regarded brand.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
So I ordered flocking and stuff from geekgaming.co.uk (LukeAps website), they said the order was shipped on 08/24 and it still hasn't arrived (shipping between UK and France is usually very efficient) and the customer service isn't responding to my emails. I think I'll just ask Visa to reimburse my order. Good times.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Playing is a powerful motivator because painted miniatures make your dice roll better true facts. It's also a bummer to miss out on painting awards and stuff due to half your army just being primed or bare plastic.

It's also vital to get eveything painted.

Otherwise your opponent will see which figures you love the most and kill them first.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

Otherwise your opponent will see which figures you love the most and kill them first.

:hmmyes:

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

moths posted:

But is it the models you have lovingly painted, or the models not yet painted because you are saving them for last?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of playing being a powerful motivator, I'm still hacking away at the army I've never played a game with yet, because I wanna paint them first. I've never painted an entire army before. I had, in fact, only painted like 4 minis in my life before starting this endeavor. It's taking forever, but I'm really enjoying it, and I'm proud of them for a neophyte effort.

Looking forward to 2028, when I might be able to put them on an actual gaming table.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's paying off, because god drat son. Those are gorgeous.

Black rim those bases though. :discourse:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Zuul the Cat posted:

It's paying off, because god drat son. Those are gorgeous.

Black rim those bases though. :discourse:

Thanks!

tbh I've gone in circles a bunch trying to decide how to rim them (please no jokes thank you) between dark purple, gold, and black

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Purple imo

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Thanks!

tbh I've gone in circles a bunch trying to decide how to rim them (please no jokes thank you) between dark purple, gold, and black

I actually like them as you have them now, but i'm always a proponent for black rims.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Zuul the Cat posted:

I actually like them as you have them now, but i'm always a proponent for black rims.

I also like them as they are, I think the muted gold works nicely against the purple of the minis.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Thanks!

IMO if you're ever in doubt go with black. The worst case scenario is that they'll look good.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Is there a trick to get good splatters with Blood for the Blood God? I picked a fairly thick brush to flick the paint but it doesn't really work. Should I thin it down for splatters?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
It kinda depends on what kind of splatter you’re looking for. I would just rewatch Dexter and use a tiny brush to recreate some of those splatter patterns, with individual dots and thin lines. For my ghouls, I just used a normal brush and painted it over claws and around mouths and on weapons, and I think it looks pretty good, though that’s more blood smeared all over, and quite heavily applied.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

First off, I barely remember painting this guy, but I know I used a cool red, and added a tint of brown to it.

Then, get the paint down to an ink like consistency. Take a well loaded small brush and experiment with flinging it as hard as you can at the model, blowing at the top as hard as you can, flicking the tip (just the tip), ... be crazy.

Edit: if you need a good color tone for a cool red, look up Alizarin Crimson.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 10, 2019

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Tamaya Clear Red with a barely perceptible amount of purple ink is The Best Blood.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

moths posted:

The pro move is to show your opponent the three pages you have written about an unimportant target to fool them.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Something a little different. Gaslands cars!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My Death Guard are back on my work bench since the recent Goonhammer article inspired me. I recently picked up a box of Blightlord Terminators and some Deathshroud. Unfortunately no shops around me had any Death Guard Green spray at all, which is what my paint scheme uses primarily.

Decided to try out some of the Vallejo Air paints I got, and IDF/IAF Green is reasonably close to Death Guard Green. It's a little lighter, but after a heavy wash of Agrax Earthshade it's pretty close.

Normal paint scheme using Death Guard Green Spray on the left, Airbrush on the right.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

TotalHell posted:

Something a little different. Gaslands cars!

Yo i am thinking maybe i should get into this because this looks like fun modelling

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
Finished the Lieutenant, really happy with how the face turned out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Ignite Memories posted:

Yo i am thinking maybe i should get into this because this looks like fun modelling

It's fun and dirt-cheap. Buy some Hot Wheels from the store (or better yet, second-hand at a thrift store), stick some leftover bits on them, and go to town.