Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd use multi-harvest crops, and max those out, and then use the money from that to build a barn for pigs, and then buy as many pigs as possible. Those truffles make the money back VERY soon.

Only catch is that pigs are useless in winter.

I've seen it argued that the correct thing to do is sell your iridium pig on Winter 1, then buy a piglet and start raising it. Then you get the cash from Pig 1 and it's profit from meat to squeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've seen it argued that the correct thing to do is sell your iridium pig on Winter 1, then buy a piglet and start raising it. Then you get the cash from Pig 1 and it's profit from meat to squeal.

This could work, I think, so yeah... go hog wild.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Are there mods to do meat industry? I understand why the games would shy away from it, but it's still a fairly important part of the agricultural experience.

(Thinking about this made me wish Silver Spoon came out of hiatus....)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
selling the animals after you've raised them is basically meat industry, only thing that is missing from the game is you getting the meat from El Piggo to sell. instead Marnie just pays you directly.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I just got this for android sine I uograded to a giant new phone and figured I'd get something to play on my commute. I'm about two weeks into spring but still haven't really settled on what direction I'm going in yet, should I just pick an area (farming etc) and concentrate on that over other stuff?

If you haven't already, make sure you check out the community center. The game is very forgiving, but without a little planning--especially in Spring Year 1--it's easy to forget to turn in particular produce for the community center bundles. It stinks to have to wait a year to get a reward because you forgot to save a potato or 5 gold star parsnips. You can also look at what items are required for different bundles as use that as a guide for how you want to proceed on the farm.

Another early tip--don't neglect the mine. I was seriously starved for ore the first year because I was afraid to go in the mine.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i am more than happy to make an entire wall of text post about spring y1 but it really depends on how spergy you want to be about it. i can get insanely spergy but it depends on your goals. in general, though, spring y1 should be considered an extended chargen period more than actually playing the game; even in terms of the CC, it requires a serious amount of luck to be in a spot where you can finish the entire thing in y1, and the main benefit you get from being entirely on the ball from it the entire year (the greenhouse) doesn't actually net you that much of a return for getting it in fall y1 and cultivating it over the winter versus getting it in spring y2.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Really the most important part of spring y1 is to know that crops die when seasons change, and you'll want a few grand on hand to buy summer crops. Knocking out spring-limited community center bundles is also good.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
I assume this thread's a good place to post about Harvest Moon-alikes.

There's a Story of Season game starring Doreamon of all folks that managed to get localized for the Switch that's coming out this Friday! It'll be 50$.

From what little I can tell, It's your standard Story of Seasons with an amazing painterly art style.
I believe, since you're playing as a child there's no focus on romance, but befriending all the townsfolk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0wqz3s4V80

Outside of that there's limited word about the gameplay nuances, there are a few LP's of the Japanese version but I'm not seeing any huge gimmicks or divergences outside of just starring the Doraemon cast.

Honestly I'm still struck they localized a Doraemon game.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty cool how well this game accomidates people who like to min/max and feels rewarding if you do that but also at the same time doesn't really punish you for not doing that. It really is a remarkable game.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Kyte posted:

Are there mods to do meat industry? I understand why the games would shy away from it, but it's still a fairly important part of the agricultural experience.

(Thinking about this made me wish Silver Spoon came out of hiatus....)

There is this: https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/1538

I've seen it running in videos and used with other mods but not used it myself

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I just got this for android sine I uograded to a giant new phone and figured I'd get something to play on my commute. I'm about two weeks into spring but still haven't really settled on what direction I'm going in yet, should I just pick an area (farming etc) and concentrate on that over other stuff?

The correct answer is simply to do what brings you joy. There's no rush or time limits to this game, by and large, and you should just did what's fun.

If what's fun is taking this casual chill capitalism sim and turning it into a frame perfect optimization problem, you're in the right place and should just ask more specific questions.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Don't say this.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There's a very handy icon in the top right of your inventory. Click it and you can see what you need in each Community Center room you've unlocked. That's a helpful guide about what you should make sure to get in each season.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Alxprit posted:

Don't say this.

while i am definitely sensitive to people fearing negative associations with various words and i'm absolutely clear on my own ability to be out of touch with how usages shift while i'm not paying attention, it's really not effective to tersely bark hostile orders at people who meant no harm by anything.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Coolguye posted:

while i am definitely sensitive to people fearing negative associations with various words and i'm absolutely clear on my own ability to be out of touch with how usages shift while i'm not paying attention, it's really not effective to tersely bark hostile orders at people who meant no harm by anything.
Let me say it politely, then. There are a lot of people on the autism spectrum, including what used to be called Asperger's. Many of these people are on SomethingAwful, because typed social media are easier than face-to-face conversation.

Using "spergy", which is derived from the name of a medical diagnosis that people on this forum have received, as an insult is wrong and rude.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Let me say it politely, then. There are a lot of people on the autism spectrum, including what used to be called Asperger's. Many of these people are on SomethingAwful, because typed social media are easier than face-to-face conversation.

Using "spergy", which is derived from the name of a medical diagnosis that people on this forum have received, as an insult is wrong and rude.

see this is perfectly fine, thank you

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
It's a shame Concerned Ape didn't flesh out the meat industry, or at least the animal contests that should be held at the Stardew Fair.

Go to any county-fair in real life and you'll see they take a lot of pride in the graded animal events compared to Grange/Floral.

It'd also have the positive effect of encouraging Stardew players to raise non-essential animals to compete against Marnie/Shane.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Tetrabor posted:

It's a shame Concerned Ape didn't flesh out the meat industry, or at least the animal contests that should be held at the Stardew Fair.

Go to any county-fair in real life and you'll see they take a lot of pride in the graded animal events compared to Grange/Floral.

It'd also have the positive effect of encouraging Stardew players to raise non-essential animals to compete against Marnie/Shane.

Yeah, I wanna put on a cheese board.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I remember when CA was doing news updates back before the game released animal butchering was absolutely a planned thing, and some even made it in an early build, but he ended up scrapping the whole system since it didn't really fit with the chill vibe of the rest of the game

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

CainsDescendant posted:

I remember when CA was doing news updates back before the game released animal butchering was absolutely a planned thing, and some even made it in an early build, but he ended up scrapping the whole system since it didn't really fit with the chill vibe of the rest of the game

Which is ironic considering how many creatures you murder in the mines.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you don't have a relationship with any of those creatures

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Coolguye posted:

you don't have a relationship with any of those creatures

I don't have a relationship with my barn animals either, which is why I want to cook them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i had almost posted "those creatures aren't cute"

but then i remembered that little groundhog dude that pokes his little frowny face up when you step on his soil and i was like "man, that isn't even true"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

minigame where you struggle to hold your cow's head underwater until it stops thrashing

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
the dustyboiz are adorable and make cute noises but they also drop delicious coal which I crave so they must die

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Why can't we raise dust boys? More fun than slimes, so eager to see you they eat rocks, poop out coal, probably easy to tame, just feed them some of those useless minerals we get from geodes and let them wander around the farm

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tars Tarkas posted:

Why can't we raise dust boys? More fun than slimes, so eager to see you they eat rocks, poop out coal, probably easy to tame, just feed them some of those useless minerals we get from geodes and let them wander around the farm

i would actually build the hutch if it could give me dust sprites that would give me reliable coal

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Coolguye posted:

i would actually build the hutch if it could give me dust sprites that would give me reliable coal

Extremely same here! Probably a good idea for a mod.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Am I right that the preferred strategy for the mine in the [spoiler]Calico Desert[/url] is to bring massive amounts of bombs and stairs, and not even try to combat the monsters?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Am I right that the preferred strategy for the mine in the Calico Desert is to bring massive amounts of bombs and stairs, and not even try to combat the monsters?
yes. more of the former than the latter.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Coolguye posted:

I apologize, I'm just so used to people using slurs while knowing full well what they mean that I got a bit hostile and assumed the worst.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Popete posted:

It's pretty cool how well this game accomidates people who like to min/max and feels rewarding if you do that but also at the same time doesn't really punish you for not doing that. It really is a remarkable game.

Good sandbox games just drop a bunch of toys in front of you while being like "hey here's some toys, have fun." You can be a crazy min/maxer, you can be a crazy completionist that wants All The Things, or you can just faff about and farm turnips forever while sometimes going fishing. The game just doesn't give a crap and that's wonderful. While a ton of other games are obsessing over the competitive scene and such games like this one show that sometimes people want to just like chill out, maaaaaaan.

I mean really, the intro to the game couldn't be more blatant about the entire point of it. Hey, sick of everything being all fast-paced and crazy? Well, here's a farm and a sleepy little town where you can get away from that. Enjoy. Or, you know, don't. Up to you.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I insist on a halal option for the theoretical butching mechanic.

That Battle Chef Brigade game does an ok job of dealing with meat in the game without being too brutal.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
The only game that did meat harvesting right was Graveyard Keeper.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Good sandbox games just drop a bunch of toys in front of you while being like "hey here's some toys, have fun." You can be a crazy min/maxer, you can be a crazy completionist that wants All The Things, or you can just faff about and farm turnips forever while sometimes going fishing. The game just doesn't give a crap and that's wonderful. While a ton of other games are obsessing over the competitive scene and such games like this one show that sometimes people want to just like chill out, maaaaaaan.
According to my six-year old, this game is about being a kid who can go for unsupervised walks in the woods, swim in pools for hours, watch wizards on TV and go to bed whenever he wants to.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

The only game that did meat harvesting right was Graveyard Keeper.
No animals are hurt in it. :)

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Am I right that the preferred strategy for the mine in the [spoiler]Calico Desert[/url] is to bring massive amounts of bombs and stairs, and not even try to combat the monsters?

Bring stone to make stairs with. Stairs themselves don't stack and you thus can't bring enough. By carrying stone you can stairway down to level 100.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Be careful of jumping into holes. If you jump in one and it takes you past the floor you want, you don't trigger the reward and have to do it all again.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Download the nexus mod that just puts the mines elevator in the desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Saint Freak posted:

Download the nexus mod that just puts the mines elevator in the desert.

100% this. It makes it so much better and feels more rewarding than stair spam.