Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Remember that time they held Bill Barr in contempt for basically giving them the finger? Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Gatts posted:

Schiff's conference better amount to more than "Hey America, all is okay. We are doing impeachment and slowly going through bureaucracy in hopes nothing gets done until the election. Do your thing, the Democratic Party has a lot of strongly worded letters ready to go. "

He better be handing out some subpoenas.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

eke out posted:

the fundamental argument that anti-discrimination advocates are making is that when employers fire someone because they are gay, trans, or gender nonconforming, they do so because they have considered sex stereotypes to determine whether that employee fits into one of those groups. for example, a homophobic employer might realize a man is gay because of his failure to conform with the things he thinks a "man" should do, and the worst way you can fail to conform with those stereotypes is by having sex with another man. similarly, trans people are fired for their insistence on dressing and conforming to (in a discriminatory employer's mind) the wrong sex.

This was a little bit ago, but I wanted to piggyback off of it. A large reason for the push to remove the protections from the law isn't because businesses care about queer people at all. For the most part the only reason it gets pushed via that angle is because the fundamentalists are very interested in hurting the queer population, but the reason that it gets backed by the rank and file business wing is because it also allows them to fire people for literally no reason at all while giving them the fig leaf of "oh, it was for religious reasons."

Corporations, of course, love having extreme power over their employees. This legislation being vague (oh she seemed like a lesbian!) just gives them even more carte blanche to exploit people.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 8, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TulliusCicero posted:

It's amazing that he is the loving President of the United States with millions in campaign contributions, and he is the same RIP-off cheapskate bitch he always was

It's like he just exists as the avatar of the pompous rich

brad parscale is now rich enough he could personally pay both of those fees and they're still that loving cheap lmao

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1181399443817603073

This is really good messaging against the "It is just a joke" defense.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Rent-A-Cop posted:

"Confusion and panic, but not real change" is America.txt

It's harder to fit on a ball cap than Keep America Great.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Why does he type like a loving brain damaged goblin? It's infuriating

"They have also been good to deal with, helping me to save many lives at Idlib Province, and returning, in very....."

Like that is barely English. loving learn the syntax of the loving language you scream about learning, and stop typing and speaking like a Yoda on meth :wtc:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That was the Joker's greatest trick, whenever he go arrested he would say it was a joke and they had to let him go

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TulliusCicero posted:

Why does he type like a loving brain damaged goblin? It's infuriating

"They have also been good to deal with, helping me to save many lives at Idlib Province, and returning, in very....."

Like that is barely English. loving learn the syntax of the loving language you scream about learning, and stop typing and speaking like a Yoda on meth :wtc:

i'm shocked there weren't any random capitalization and quotation marks.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

brad parscale is now rich enough he could personally pay both of those fees and they're still that loving cheap lmao

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1181396298043445249

This is a great expose on Parscale's bullshit over the years by ProPublica

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So now that a Congressional subpoena is being openly defied, what is the best case scenario? Charge this guy with contempt and add obstruction of Congress to the Articles of Impeachment?

Do people actually get arrested for contempt of Congress?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Ah yeah, 'just a joke' about withdrawing troops from Northern Syria causing Turkey to prepare to invade and slaughter the Kurds.
Totally sick joke, bro.

Literally.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Strange Poon posted:

American gaming company begs to lick China's boot harder.

I'll need to know which deck he was playing to fully form an opinion.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1181396298043445249

This is a great expose on Parscale's bullshit over the years by ProPublica

it's great how trump he was even before he met trump. a match made in hell.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Consequences? In my Government? What are they, the poors?

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/QasimRashid/status/1181265609289605125

Lol yes, Millenials are truly to blame. Kudos to Qasim Rashid and I hope he wins his Senate Election this year for VA State House!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/OsitaNwanevu/status/1181555797710520321

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I know when I have perfect phone calls, I also block anyone who can testify to that fact.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mahoning posted:

On paper they have this power, they're rapidly running out of options other than using it or admitting they cannot investigate the executive.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Their reaction to this will tell us exactly how serious they are about The Great Mattering.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

I loved @Midnight, but I will give up all the joy my friends and I had with that show to have twitter having had never existed. That show is how twitter should have been used. People goofing on things, not people in positions of power in countries declaring war or making policy decisions or an elderly president screaming like a baby. This is all so goddamn stupid.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Mahoning posted:

So now that a Congressional subpoena is being openly defied, what is the best case scenario? Charge this guy with contempt and add obstruction of Congress to the Articles of Impeachment?

This criminal administration has (correctly) assumed that the house will not actually use its enforcement authority so they are just throwing subpoenas away.

The house is being dared to do their job, but they wont.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That, plus, ya know, Chris Hardwick turning out to be a monster

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I'll need to know which deck he was playing to fully form an opinion.

It's one of those weird tournaments where everyone plays a bunch of decks, but he showed up for finals with Highlander Hunter, Zoo Warlock, and Control Warrior.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Mahoning posted:

I mean they could argue it in court I guess, or sue the state department, since the state dept/white house's reason for telling him not to attend this morning is bullshit.

quote:

Sondland’s attorney told CNN early Tuesday that Sondland has no choice but to comply.

“He is a sitting ambassador, an employee of State, and is required to follow their direction,” Sondland’s attorney Robert Luskin told CNN Tuesday.

They don't even appear to have a legal reason for this, they're just obstructing.

edit apparently he hasn't been subpoenad yet and today was voluntary.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 8, 2019

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mahoning posted:

My understanding that this is about voluntary agreement, not subpoena yet?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Imagine a world without CEOs...

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

When is this Adam Schiff press conference supposed to happen?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Helith posted:

Literally.

No, seriously.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

OddObserver posted:

My understanding that this is about voluntary agreement, not subpoena yet?

This is correct. Pompeo is blocking documents the house has subpoenad though, and I imagine he'll demand state employees ignore subpoenas as well. It's obstruction all around.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

friendbot2000 posted:

When is this Adam Schiff press conference supposed to happen?

In about 15 minutes. Which probably means in about 30-45 min.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

skylined! posted:

This is correct. Pompeo is blocking documents the house has subpoenad though, and I imagine he'll demand state employees ignore subpoenas as well. It's obstruction all around.

So what the gently caress is the point of separation of powers if one branch can just stonewall another?

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/QasimRashid/status/1181265609289605125

Lol yes, Millenials are truly to blame. Kudos to Qasim Rashid and I hope he wins his Senate Election this year for VA State House!

Why do all your posts read like they were written by a bot?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

skylined! posted:

Basically we all know how the game will be played but we still gotta play it.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Mystic Mongol posted:

It's one of those weird tournaments where everyone plays a bunch of decks, but he showed up for finals with Highlander Hunter, Zoo Warlock, and Control Warrior.

CW is my main, I'm absolutely outraged now.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

So what the gently caress is the point of separation of powers if one branch can just stonewall another?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ThanosWasRight posted:

Why do all your posts read like they were written by a bot?

Friendbot is cool and good and actually posts content worth reading.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
Sondland will get hosed. The House will (hopefully) go at him with teeth and set a precedent not to defy requests

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Tuff Scrote posted:

Sondland will get hosed. The House will (hopefully) go at him with teeth and set a precedent not to defy requests

I would imagine they issue a subpoena today. I didn't know Sondland had volunteered testimony.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This press conference should be about them filing contempt charges but who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I would imagine they issue a subpoena today. I didn't know Sondland had volunteered testimony.

So far, I think all the deposition requests have been voluntary. And I think because they got Volker to come in that they thought Sondland would too.

Difference is that Volker no longer worked for Trump, I guess.