Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Scikar posted:

Or you could build actual cycle lanes. Actually invest in the basics in other major cities so you don't need to have insane numbers of people concentrated in London. Doubling the tube isn't necessary in any case.

Even if we built all these factories that you want, car production across the entire EU is 20 million per year. Do you even realise the scale you're talking about to get 40 million electric vehicles in the UK alone? Where are you even going to put those factories? How will the workers and resources get to them?

Concentration is actually good for sustainability, unless you have some super centralised megacity that still has people commuting for hours every day to the jobs in the center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's Budget Day in Ireland today, minister for Finance is currently announcing a €1.2bn fund to mitigate the worst fuckery to our economy. On a per capita basis seems more substantial and certainly more thought out than anything equivalent in the UK. Somewhat reassuring but still, that's money that could be used to alleviate Irish homelessness if it weren't for Tory gammon idiocy.

And successive neolib Irish governments going big on austerity policy :ssh:

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

suck my woke dick posted:

Concentration is actually good for sustainability, unless you have some super centralised megacity that still has people commuting for hours every day to the jobs in the center.

Like London? That's why I said put stuff in the other major cities. I'm not talking about railway stations in every village in Cumbria.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
I'm legit bummed that EPCOT never happened

mediadave fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 8, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

what is capitalism if not the fact that mam and dad don't loving listen, but as a society??
That sounds more like feudal communalism. Capitalism is more like the institutional nonce who everyone knows is one but nobody can do anything about it because the only people with direct access to him are all covering for him because he can grant them power.

e: ^^^ Planned cities always seem to lack something human when they're actually put into practice.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Scikar posted:

Or you could build actual cycle lanes. Actually invest in the basics in other major cities so you don't need to have insane numbers of people concentrated in London. Doubling the tube isn't necessary in any case.

Even if we built all these factories that you want, car production across the entire EU is 20 million per year. Do you even realise the scale you're talking about to get 40 million electric vehicles in the UK alone? Where are you even going to put those factories? How will the workers and resources get to them?

You need to do both. But you need to make sure all your new buses etc are electric As yes, it is ludicrous statement right now - this is why I don't think we can achieve zero net emission by 2030. But production can ramp up alot in 20 years - as it has from nothing in the 20 years previous - and we need to start making the groundwork on the factories, resources, and workers now.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Scikar posted:

This. The cycle lane network in NL is insane. It's as good as the road network, except in cities, where it's much better. And it wasn't just always there because the country is flat so the bike lane fairies naturally gravitated here - it was built as a large concerted effort after a decision was taken that it sounded like a good idea.

Plus it's great for wheeléd people of all kinds, not just cyclists.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If there was a dedicated cycle path to work I'd totally bike there.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Junior G-man posted:

An Irish journalist called Chris Cook wrote up a four-piece long read on the inside-no. 10-baseball on Brexit during May's time, and how that played out during the negotiations. It's superb and you should all read it:

https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/18/brexit-part-one/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/18/brexit-part-2/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/19/brexit-day-part-3/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/19/brexit-part-4/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/25/brexit-part-5/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/26/brexit-epilogue/content.html

It's extremely well written and clearly this guy understands what he's on about super well.

I dunno if it's a 'done thing' to pro-click your own posts, but I'm doing it anyway.

Wanted to say thanks for this. It's a cracking read and brings up so much of the day to day fuckery I'd forgotten about over the last few years of constant day to day fuckery.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Scikar posted:

London has the lowest level of car ownership in the country. Purely by coincidence*, it also has vastly superior public transport than the rest of the country. You don't have to build a single tunnel or even anything at all in London, just put actual buses, trams and cycle lanes in every other major city and you'd already cut half the cars we need.

*Not actually a coincidence

London is also the place with the highest per capita footprint in the UK.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/city-of-london-tops-uk-carbon-footprint-list

quote:

When the researchers compared the factors behind high carbon footprints, they found people’s lifestyle had the biggest effect, while things like being urban or rural, or the distance from industry were less important.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

The City of london is literally just the bit with all the rich dickheads in it, london itself is much larger.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Parliament wrote the text of the request for him, he just has to officially deliver it.
Those No. 10 documents a few pages ago seemed to imply that he's going to deliver it in person along with a speech which essentially says "I was tricked into bringing this letter to you by the traitor parliament, here's why it's bullshit and you shouldn't give us an extension."

CyberPingu posted:

When i was job hunting a few years ago, a company out in Barcelona wanted to fly me out for an inteview from Scotland last minute (literally phoned me at 7pm the night before to get on a flight). I didnt want to scramble to get a plane so just asked if we could do it over skype and they said "Hmm thats not the way we do things"
I mean most NHS offices I've worked in still haven't got the hang of mail merge. The sooner we kill off the technophobic boomer generation the sooner we halve the problem.

Rich twats who like flying everywhere 'because it's nice' can get in the loving sea.

Scikar posted:

London has the lowest level of car ownership in the country. Purely by coincidence*, it also has vastly superior public transport than the rest of the country. You don't have to build a single tunnel or even anything at all in London, just put actual buses, trams and cycle lanes in every other major city and you'd already cut half the cars we need.

*Not actually a coincidence
Where I used to live, Winchester, was an old medieval town with roads so convoluted and nonsensical that nobody drove in town, it was literally quicker to walk because of the constant jams and badly signposted intersections that all loop back into the one way system. Consequently it was a great city to not be a driver in - high street with actual functioning shops on it, everything within walking distance (if you don't mind hills) and major employment opportunities including the hospital, local & county councils, university and magistrates court.

Every few years there's a push to just turn the centre into bike lanes (which would work beautifully if they were confined to the lanes only and got them off the pavements like they are now), but the rich pricks in the council scream about their audis and nothing ever gets done.

Once we eat the rich and take it over, Winchester would make a fine capital for the glorious UKMT thousand year reich.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Based on 2004 figures.
"City of London" is the square mile, not the whole of London.

The results show that both the biggest and smallest carbon footprints were found in London. The bankers, lawyers and guild members found in the City were responsible for emitting 15.5 tonnes of carbon dioxide a year. Londoners just eight miles away on the A1203 in the much more residential area of Newham were thriftier with carbon – producing just 10.2 tonnes of the potent greenhouse gas:

The City will be absolutely chock full of IT cooking up the atmosphere.

Ed: beaten to the 'city is the square mile' comment.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just stepped out of the office to see a man walking down the opposite side of the road stark bollock naked :stare:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'd love to not be a car-owner (and have stopped driving to commute in favour of getting the train and walking a few miles each day) but I can't feasibly get away from using it for things like driving my daughter to various groups that take place out of town. An electric car would be great for that stuff but we have nowhere to park/charge it outside our house and also it wouldn't help for the occasions I need to do mad things like driving a drum kit to Hull and back in an evening.

I suppose the ideal would be a communal electric car parked nearby for the short-range stuff and then hire a van or something a couple of times a month when I need to do a long band trip?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Rarity posted:

Just stepped out of the office to see a man walking down the opposite side of the road stark bollock naked :stare:
e: nm, read who is posting stuff Seb

Pretty standard for Bristol, no?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Guavanaut posted:

e: ^^^ Planned cities always seem to lack something human when they're actually put into practice.

Every modern major housing development I've seen - even and especially the high-end ones - is eerie as gently caress. I think it's the perpetual look of vacancy caused by lack of character. They never stop looking like showhomes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Those No. 10 documents a few pages ago seemed to imply that he's going to deliver it in person along with a speech which essentially says "I was tricked into bringing this letter to you by the traitor parliament, here's why it's bullshit and you shouldn't give us an extension."

Mm, which I suppose means it depends whether or not the EU gives a poo poo about how the UK government works.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Bobstar posted:

This. The cycle lane network in NL is insane. It's as good as the road network, except in cities, where it's much better.

Nevertheless, Dutch emissions are about 50% higher per capita than the UK.

Stop thinking there is one single trick that can solve climate change, you have to do everything. Even the French, with their state-owned nuclear power, don’t have their emissions where they need to be.

if everyone in the UK literally became vegan eco monks, that wouldn’t be enough to get to zero without new technology. While no amount of new technology would help if everyone used that as an excuse to ramp up their consumption proportionately.

You have to do everything. So anyone arguing against any form of response is wrong, at least unless they are able to make the case it is actively making things worse.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I mean most NHS offices I've worked in still haven't got the hang of mail merge. The sooner we kill off the technophobic boomer generation the sooner we halve the problem.

Love to know where - as in what departments - you've worked. As someone on the boomer cusp who used to work in the NHS 22-32 years ago, I was mail merging happily back then along with DataFlex, spreadsheets, and so on, much of it from command-line prompt when Windows was very new - I was the first person in our department to be allowed it on my 40MB IBM pc - and when my boss wouldn't allow me a mouse (and touch pads hadn't been invented) because 'people only need a mouse to play games' (hence rendering much of the GUI of Windows 3.1 useless to me).

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

radmonger posted:

You have to do everything. So anyone arguing against any form of response is wrong, at least unless they are able to make the case it is actively making things worse.

This is really weird considering my point was literally that you can't just replace all of our cars with electric ones and call it done.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

kemikalkadet posted:

Stockpiling food is dumb because the long-life food that can be stockpiled is the least likely to be affected by border delays caused by brexit. If there's a forecast for an increased demand or supply shortages then it can be warehoused to smooth the bumps in supply. It's the fresh foods with short shelf lifes that will be affected. Just-In-Time grocery deliveries from the continent currently can go from producer to shelf in 48 hours and supermarkets use pretty sophisticated forecasting models to order enough in with minimal waste. Suddenly adding the uncertainty of no-deal import rules and your predictable 48 hour turnaround turns into "well maybe it'll be 50 hours or it could be 5 days". That's where the reduced choice and increased prices will come from on a huge range of fresh foods. There's a load of knock-on effects from ingredient transport: i.e. milk or egg powder shipped from the UK then made into a product and shipped back, but the major effect that everyone will notice will be the most short-life fresh goods that rely on tight just-in-time networks.

tl;dr there's nothing meaningful you can do. stockpiling won't do anything useful but go ahead if it makes you feel better.

This is from a page or two back but the conclusion is wrong. If there are riots, or military-controlled supermarkets, or just something as simple as an hour-long queue to get in and out of the car park, it will be nice to go to the stockpile and see that you have enough beans and toilet paper to save you going shopping for a week. No point trying to get a year's food in, or replace the things that will be in short supply, but the opportunity to see an enormous clusterfuck and just stay in? Yes please.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

radmonger posted:

Nevertheless, Dutch emissions are about 50% higher per capita than the UK.

Stop thinking there is one single trick that can solve climate change, you have to do everything. Even the French, with their state-owned nuclear power, don’t have their emissions where they need to be.

if everyone in the UK literally became vegan eco monks, that wouldn’t be enough to get to zero without new technology. While no amount of new technology would help if everyone used that as an excuse to ramp up their consumption proportionately.

I wasn't arguing against anything, just for cycle lanes. Which is surely part of your "do everything".

And yes, the Dutch love their cars too, but imagine what the emissions would be like if they were also doing all those 0.5-15km trips in them.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

https://twitter.com/DavidCInRomford/status/1181537668439650304

epic boardgame nights

Junior G-man posted:

An Irish journalist called Chris Cook wrote up a six piece long read on the inside-no. 10-baseball on Brexit during May's time, and how that played out during the negotiations. It's superb and you should all read it:

https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/18/brexit-part-one/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/18/brexit-part-2/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/19/brexit-day-part-3/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/19/brexit-part-4/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/25/brexit-part-5/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/25/brexit-part-6/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/26/brexit-epilogue/content.html

It's extremely well written and clearly this guy understands what he's on about super well.

I dunno if it's a 'done thing' to pro-click your own posts, but I'm doing it anyway.

yeah this is great so far

quote:

Martin said: “There is common ground on the Good Friday Agreement, there always had been – and in terms of the broader trading relationship and the need to have a soft Brexit and in the end of the realisation about what Brexit will do to Ireland.”

There was such a clear consensus that Irish citizens appearing on media in other countries could ring up Irish embassies for briefings. When I told one senior official at the British Foreign Office about this, they were astonished.

“But that’s cheating.”

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

While I approve of a person's right to wear as much or as little as they please as long as they aren't harassing or intimidating anyone else and carry their own seat covers, what the gently caress it's October.

Wachter posted:

Every modern major housing development I've seen - even and especially the high-end ones - is eerie as gently caress. I think it's the perpetual look of vacancy caused by lack of character. They never stop looking like showhomes.
They're also aggressively anti-human in layout, because the people who build them are against most of the things that make a place human, because they're uncontrollable. The old men playing dominoes outside the pub, the kids loitering with bikes, the Rastafarian selling Black Bart Simpson cannabis t-shirts on the street, the random Turkish music. That all exists within a biofilm of human activity that ebbs and flows, and the mass planned design either doesn't account for this or actively detests it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Based on 2004 figures.
"City of London" is the square mile, not the whole of London.

The results show that both the biggest and smallest carbon footprints were found in London. The bankers, lawyers and guild members found in the City were responsible for emitting 15.5 tonnes of carbon dioxide a year. Londoners just eight miles away on the A1203 in the much more residential area of Newham were thriftier with carbon – producing just 10.2 tonnes of the potent greenhouse gas:

The City will be absolutely chock full of IT cooking up the atmosphere.

Ed: beaten to the 'city is the square mile' comment.

Still point I was after was what the researchers concluded that lifestyle matters more than location in taming your footprint.

There was a 2011 study in Finland showing similar results as well, people in the Helsinki Metro Area (equivalent to the london metro area I guess) had the highest per capita footprints. Again their lifestyles were the cause, more consumption and more travel. People elsewhere had less money and consumed less and traveled abroad less, this was enough for their capita emissions to be lower despite traveling more in a car or having a house to heat.

This is why I believe a 4 day work week, insititued on an EU level, would be one of the most immediately effective ways of reducing our CO2 footprint quickly. As well as increase our life quality.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sanford posted:

This is from a page or two back but the conclusion is wrong. If there are riots, or military-controlled supermarkets, or just something as simple as an hour-long queue to get in and out of the car park, it will be nice to go to the stockpile and see that you have enough beans and toilet paper to save you going shopping for a week. No point trying to get a year's food in, or replace the things that will be in short supply, but the opportunity to see an enormous clusterfuck and just stay in? Yes please.

Not only that, but if there's no money in the ATMs and internet breaks, you won't be able to buy anything even if it's there with cash or cards. I doubt many shops have those little machines anymore for doing paper credit card transactions. This is the voice of experience from another country. no money in the ATMs for 3 weeks and shops not able to take cards. Army stocking the shop shelves every night after curfew but unless you had a cash stash we couldn't buy anything.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sulphagnist posted:

I don't know if it's just a rhetorical device but she keeps saying stuff like "you aren't evil, you don't really want to destroy the planet, wake up" to world leaders, when the better message is to address the masses with "your leaders are evil and want to destroy the planet, wake up"

y'know honestly what she's doing right now is already radical in terms of what's allowed to happen and what we're allowed to see, plus I think it makes for a better narrative if she starts off by outright calling them out for inaction and moving on to "you have done NOTHING because this is what you want, you have had your chance to atone". plus really I think she's learning as she goes here

I mean obviously she's being used too, there's no way she'd be given this platform if the people she's calling out couldn't nod and clap like they're not the problem, but it's raising her profile and I think people understand she's acting on good faith (people besides the usual concern trolls that is)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I will mine bitcoins on my pocket calculator.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

sebzilla posted:

I'd love to not be a car-owner (and have stopped driving to commute in favour of getting the train and walking a few miles each day) but I can't feasibly get away from using it for things like driving my daughter to various groups that take place out of town.
I mean this is part of the cyclic nature of the problem. Modern life is based around the petrol engine. The infrastructure backbone of the modern world assumed an inexhaustible supply of fuel and was constructed and dispersed based on that. Where I now live, everything is dispersed and decentralised. To get DIY supplies I need to go two towns over. If they tried building a DIY place here, nobody would go, because "There's already one in Abingdon, just drive there."

It's hard to fully express the idea, but basically it's that everyone has a car, and because everyone has a car the modern world has organised everything so that you need a car. Which isn't a problem if you have a car. But if petrol prices become unaffordable post brexit, it's going to put a lot of people in the shitter, starting with people who can't drive because of a disability.

I guess the other side of it is that if you had looked at living in that house and NOT had a car, would it have put you off that everything is so far away? I lived where I didn't need a car for a long time (and can't drive anyway) so maybe I just have a different perspective on the whole thing.

Sorry if i'm not expressing this very well, it's kind of hard to put into words, and most of the time when I try to explain it, people nod along and then say "You need a car then."

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Still point I was after was what the researchers concluded that lifestyle matters more than location in taming your footprint.

There was a 2011 study in Finland showing similar results as well, people in the Helsinki Metro Area (equivalent to the london metro area I guess) had the highest per capita footprints. Again their lifestyles were the cause, more consumption and more travel. People elsewhere had less money and consumed less and traveled abroad less, this was enough for their capita emissions to be lower despite traveling more in a car or having a house to heat.

This is why I believe a 4 day work week, insititued on an EU level, would be one of the most immediately effective ways of reducing our CO2 footprint quickly. As well as increase our life quality.

Fair enough. But if you think of the huge number of people commuting into London (not just the City) every day and using their IT and microwaved lunches and staying warm there instead of at home, it's not really a great comparison if they are doing "total footprint / residents" type calculations.
Probably get a better comparison if you did it over bank holiday weekends or whatever. One of the first things people notice on becoming retired or out of work is how much their home fuel (electric and/or gas) goes up because their company isn't warming them up anymore.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Sorry if i'm not expressing this very well, it's kind of hard to put into words, and most of the time when I try to explain it, people nod along and then say "You need a car then."

Philip Marchand posted:

[Marshall] McLuhan’s point was that most people are trained not to look for the ground of any situation. They focus on one part and ignore the rest. If people consider the motorcar, for example, they focus on the car itself, rarely perceiving the network of gas stations, highways, neon signs, parking lots [for goons to fight in], and all the altered habits and perceptions that arise out of the existence of the car—the ground, in other word, of the automobile.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

They're also aggressively anti-human in layout, because the people who build them are against most of the things that make a place human, because they're uncontrollable. The old men playing dominoes outside the pub, the kids loitering with bikes, the Rastafarian selling Black Bart Simpson cannabis t-shirts on the street, the random Turkish music. That all exists within a biofilm of human activity that ebbs and flows, and the mass planned design either doesn't account for this or actively detests it.

People should play more cities skylines imo, you can make stuff look cool from orbit while also thinking about places you'd actually like to exist in as a human being.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I mean this is part of the cyclic nature of the problem. Modern life is based around the petrol engine. The infrastructure backbone of the modern world assumed an inexhaustible supply of fuel and was constructed and dispersed based on that. Where I now live, everything is dispersed and decentralised. To get DIY supplies I need to go two towns over. If they tried building a DIY place here, nobody would go, because "There's already one in Abingdon, just drive there."

It's hard to fully express the idea, but basically it's that everyone has a car, and because everyone has a car the modern world has organised everything so that you need a car. Which isn't a problem if you have a car. But if petrol prices become unaffordable post brexit, it's going to put a lot of people in the shitter, starting with people who can't drive because of a disability.

I guess the other side of it is that if you had looked at living in that house and NOT had a car, would it have put you off that everything is so far away? I lived where I didn't need a car for a long time (and can't drive anyway) so maybe I just have a different perspective on the whole thing.

My partner doesn't drive and it ruled out a lot of potential houses for us. If I couldn't drive either we'd get by with the bus and walking but have to stop doing some of the things we currently do. And being in a band would be almost impossible.

It's absolutely a systemic problem with the world being designed around car ownership though. How many people get out of their house and into their car and never walk anywhere? poo poo loads. I grew up on a farm where the nearest village was a couple of miles away and there was one bus per day to the nearest town. Driving was all but mandatory. Same/similar for people living in suburbs.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

No your point is right. Just look at the campaigns that spring up to oppose cycle lane schemes because they think it will force local shops to close. Cars are baked into our economy and most people struggle to imagine what things would be like without them (even though Amsterdam is really not that far away).

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Guavanaut posted:

While I approve of a person's right to wear as much or as little as they please as long as they aren't harassing or intimidating anyone else and carry their own seat covers, what the gently caress it's October.

Definitely this. They're escapes from real life, distinctly anti-community: no pubs, no village halls (or equivalents), the barest imaginable services, maybe a strip of green with a lovely little playground. You have to get in your car to go anywhere or do anything, which is the point.

And then you get inside one of the houses and they're designed by loving aliens: toilets that open up into your lounge/kitchen/diner, box rooms so small even the most vampiric buy-to-let landlords would think twice about turning into bedsits...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

People should play more cities skylines imo, you can make stuff look cool from orbit while also thinking about places you'd actually like to exist in as a human being.

If we let Cities Skylines players design real cities, every one of them would look like a collection of penises connected with swastikas.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

If we let Cities Skylines players design real cities, every one of them would look like a collection of penises connected with swastikas.

I mean I realise I did make a central square that looks like an iron cross but annoyingly all the nice geometric shapes have ended up on flegs at some point so you try to plan anything you end up making it atrocity shaped city even if not actually an atrocity.

Also if cities skylines players designed real cities then that would be boris because you always build the maximum number of bridges everywhere.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

sebzilla posted:

I'd love to not be a car-owner (and have stopped driving to commute in favour of getting the train and walking a few miles each day) but I can't feasibly get away from using it for things like driving my daughter to various groups that take place out of town. An electric car would be great for that stuff but we have nowhere to park/charge it outside our house and also it wouldn't help for the occasions I need to do mad things like driving a drum kit to Hull and back in an evening.

I suppose the ideal would be a communal electric car parked nearby for the short-range stuff and then hire a van or something a couple of times a month when I need to do a long band trip?

yeah hiring is what a lot of people do when they need to make a long trip or haul something around, so long as you factor in the savings from owning a small electric it can still work out cheaper to pay out every so often. Depends how often you need the other vehicle obviously! But a lot of people buy stuff with capabilities they don't need, just because they like the idea of the freedom

and yeah communal cars are a thing, there are private companies like ZipCar that allow you to basically have use of a car without keeping it, but Labour has an ambitious policy on setting up a community version. Obviously this kind of thing isn't gonna work for everyone, but it'll work for a lot of people, and that plus real decent public transport could significantly cut car use and ownership, and future generations won't be born into a culture where it's normal and expected for everyone to have one - which is already happening anyway:

quote:

Researchers analysed information around car use among young people — those aged 17 to 29 — by looking at a series of datasets, including the census. They found that the number of young people with a driving licence peaked in 1992-94 at 48% of 17 to 20-year-olds. By 2014 only 29% of the age group had a licence.

Among people aged 21 to 29, the number of licence holders dropped from 75 to 63% over the same period.

The study also revealed that only 37% of 17 to 29-year-olds reported driving a car in a typical week between 2010 and 2014. The figure stood at 46% between 1995 and 1999. The decline in car use was more rapid among men than women.

plus there's the whole thing about culture moving away from owning property to basically renting and subscribing to things, partly because people can't afford poo poo anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'd play more Cities Skylines if it didn't have a ton of dubiously useful/useless DLC thats very difficult to parse if it adds anything of worth or not and if custom building management wasn't a nightmare hellscape.