Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Starting to shop for a new 65'' TV to replace the much smaller one in my TV area. Looking to spend around $1000 max, any good options? I see TCL gets recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
TCL 6 series is your only option but it's also your best option. Hell of a TV for that price.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

American McGay posted:

TCL 6 series is your only option but it's also your best option. Hell of a TV for that price.
This is the main one I am seeing on Amazon, but a lot of the reviews say they are receiving broken or defective screens

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-Class-Dolby-Vision-Smart/dp/B07V4TC9V8/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=tcl+65+class+6&qid=1570501854&sr=8-1

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Out of the 4 I’ve ordered from Amazon, 2 came with broken screens. I’ve recommended people get them from Best Buy now. Although return to amazon is easy it just sucks to get a busted tv.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah I'd shop local if at all possible. Best Buy has it for $740 right now.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
That's the 2019 version. I don't think the 2019 6 series is at BB just yet... Only the 5 series

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do the non 6 series TCL Rokus have the same features? If I were to grab a cheap 4 series would it have the same Roku user interface as the 6? I need a cheap garage TV and I love what the Roku can do but I also dont need the ultra nice screen out there.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rhyno posted:

Do the non 6 series TCL Rokus have the same features? If I were to grab a cheap 4 series would it have the same Roku user interface as the 6? I need a cheap garage TV and I love what the Roku can do but I also dont need the ultra nice screen out there.

Yep. There's also other Roku TVs by Hisense and Sharp of you're looking on the cheaper end of things.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

American McGay posted:

Yeah I'd shop local if at all possible. Best Buy has it for $740 right now.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-65-class-led-6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204551.p?skuId=6204551

I think this is the one

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

That's the 2018 version. The 2019s are trickling in now so I'd wait on that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BonoMan posted:

That's the 2018 version. The 2019s are trickling in now so I'd wait on that.
Ok thanks. Not in a rush since Black Friday is around the corner.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Why can I buy a TCL 75R617 online from various places, but all of the websites I search say that the R617 TVs are only available at 55 and 65"? Even TCL's own website doesn't list the 75R617 under its product page for the 6-series TVs, only the 55 and 65R617.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

The Ferret King posted:

Why can I buy a TCL 75R617 online from various places, but all of the websites I search say that the R617 TVs are only available at 55 and 65"? Even TCL's own website doesn't list the 75R617 under its product page for the 6-series TVs, only the 55 and 65R617.

You can only buy the 2018 model in 75” right now, while the 2019 is out in the smaller sizes

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

The Ferret King posted:

As I understand it, the ##R615/617 are the same tv with a different remote, one was a SKU for certain retailers (Best Buy?), but otherwise identical. As mentioned, they are the 2018 model. Maybe the 75” was made as a 615 and retailers are mislabeling it as a 617?

The ##R625/627 are the 2019 models, and probably worth waiting for to get the QLED and other enhancements over last year.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well what's a few more months I suppose. I need to go outside more anyway.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 8, 2019

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ok thanks. Not in a rush since Black Friday is around the corner.

Indeed, I'd prob wait for BF.

However here's the listing for the 65" from BB
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-65...T&skuId=6367717

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Indeed, I'd prob wait for BF.

However here's the listing for the 65" from BB
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-65...T&skuId=6367717
Yeah I found that one but it was showing up as sold out earlier today

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 55S425 $270 shipped with code

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Speaking of TCL. They have the 3,4,5,6 and newly announced 8 series.

But no 7 series. Anybody think there's going to be a sneak attack 7 series launch at some point?

I'm also in the "want a 65 inch for $1000-1200 range"... I want to get the TCL but I also have been falling in love with the Sony's I've seen in the wild.

Is this X950G for $1265 a deal?

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/gameliquidations/product/vj7uwt4ds/

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Pay for white glove delivery if you have the option to do so, they will bring it inside and verify basic function of the screen. If it's broken you refuse delivery and off it goes. It's annoying, but it's way easier than having to load and unload a TV into your car and potentially breaking it yourself.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

H110Hawk posted:

Pay for white glove delivery if you have the option to do so, they will bring it inside and verify basic function of the screen. If it's broken you refuse delivery and off it goes. It's annoying, but it's way easier than having to load and unload a TV into your car and potentially breaking it yourself.

When i purchased my C9 from firstclasstvs on eBay, regular free freight service included what you are describing - bringing it to whatever room, in our case on the second floor no less, opening it, plugging it in and allowing full inspection of the screen for dead pixels.

They tried to sell me on white glove, which included assembling the tv, putting it on the stand and taking the giant rear end box back with them.

YMMV but it’s worth checking to see what is specifically included with the free service.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Taima posted:

When i purchased my C9 from firstclasstvs on eBay, regular free freight service included what you are describing - bringing it to whatever room, in our case on the second floor no less, opening it, plugging it in and allowing full inspection of the screen for dead pixels.

They tried to sell me on white glove, which included assembling the tv, putting it on the stand and taking the giant rear end box back with them.

YMMV but it’s worth checking to see what is specifically included with the free service.

Same. Their freight company even held the TV for a month when I wound up in Texas suddenly and without warning, and they failed to deliver it during their promised window. (4 hour window, they called 15 minutes AFTER the window saying they were still 2.5 hours away. It was already 8pm and I was at the car rental counter in Texas.)

lunael1982
Oct 19, 2012
It has finally come time to upgrade our 2012 43-inch 720p TV for a new one. There are currently two that we are thinking:

LG C8 65-inch for about 1,999$
or
Samsung Q70R (2019) 75-inch for 1600$ special deal in here. (Finland)

I don't see you recommending lot of Samsung QLED. Why is that?

Thanks for any help!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

lunael1982 posted:

I don't see you recommending lot of Samsung QLED. Why is that?

Samsung just made up a marketing name that looked visually like OLED in order to confuse consumers. QLED is not really different from other LED backlight displays, it is not in the same tier as OLED. And there are better price-per-performance options in LED sets.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
QLED just means it has a "quantum dot" layer. Which does go some ways towards creating a more color rich picture (both Vizio and TCL have "quantum dot" layers in their new TVs). But the name is dumb and only called quantum so that, as Rastor mentioned, they can use the moniker QLED which is visually confusing with the vastly superior OLED.

Basically the order of purchase is typically:

OLED

If you can't afford OLED or absolutely need an LCD then opt for the Sony X9 series.

Under that you can look at the Vizio M Quantum (certain versions... they have two M models one with more acceptable amounts of dimmable zones than the other) or P Quantum and TCL 6 Series for "good picture at a good price" tvs.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
Personally, after having used an oled, I can't really attach a high price premium to led panels anymore. I would say go with the budget options (TCL, sometimes Vizio) if an LG OLED isn't in your budget. After having multiple bad experiences with Samsung over firmware and hardware issues alike, if you still insist on getting a mid range or premium price led TV, I would suggest going with any other brand.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Big Bad Worf posted:

Personally, after having used an oled, I can't really attach a high price premium to led panels anymore. I would say go with the budget options (TCL, sometimes Vizio) if an LG OLED isn't in your budget. After having multiple bad experiences with Samsung over firmware and hardware issues alike, if you still insist on getting a mid range or premium price led TV, I would suggest going with any other brand.

Yeah I think Samsung is right out.

And if you're going with LCD (in the 65" range) I think I would recommend topping out at the TCL 6 series or Vizio M/P Series Quantums on sale. $900-1100 range.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
My only regret with my 55" E8 is not getting a 65" model. I thought it would've been too large for my apartment, but it would've fit just fine in my current living room setup

Here's the media console I've been using - it's a bit pricey, but a good size for an apartment and very well built. A huge step up from the Ikea console I had before, which was starting to sag in the middle (from a 32" LED!)

https://www.cb2.com/congo-media-credenza/s559147

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
For the hundred millionth time, Vizio and TCL are unfortunately not available in Europe so stop suggesting them to non-Americans

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

lunael1982 posted:

LG C8 65-inch for about 1,999$
or
Samsung Q70R (2019) 75-inch for 1600$ special deal in here. (Finland)

If your retailers have bought into the black friday excuse to shill more poo poo it might be worth waiting a couple months to see if there's any bigger discounts on the C8. Samsung gets poo poo on for their disingenuous advertising but their high end TVs are still very good, but overpriced and fundamentally not OLEDs. Between those two TVs the OLED is definitely worth the extra 25%. There's a few use cases where an LED might be a better option for you - if you're worried about burn in, or if your room doesn't get very dark for example. Although I imagine that's not a problem in Finnish winter.

Americans have a couple brands and options that are much better value wise but we just don't, but that's been the case forever.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

As far as media furniture goes Salamander Designs is pretty much the best I've seen but their stuff is not cheap. They have a wide variety of floor and floating cabinets in different styles. I've had a Synergy rack for almost 20 years and I still love it.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

curried lamb of God posted:

My only regret with my 55" E8 is not getting a 65" model. I thought it would've been too large for my apartment, but it would've fit just fine in my current living room setup

Here's the media console I've been using - it's a bit pricey, but a good size for an apartment and very well built. A huge step up from the Ikea console I had before, which was starting to sag in the middle (from a 32" LED!)

https://www.cb2.com/congo-media-credenza/s559147

I have the same console and love it! (if it makes you feel better, I have a 65" LG C9 and if it weren't wall mounted, it would be too large for the console)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
My Xbox One X says my TV doesn't support 4K@120Hz so reduces the resolution to 1440p. Is that what's meant to happen? I thought the console and the TV both supported 4K120?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Butterfly Valley posted:

For the hundred millionth time, Vizio and TCL are unfortunately not available in Europe so stop suggesting them to non-Americans

Sorry I missed that single word that indicated that.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hello tv experts.

Im looking to spend ~700 bucks on a 65 in

Thats my budget, and my goal.

What can y'all recommend?

Im currently considering:

Samsung - 65" Class - LED - 7 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR

LG - 65" Class - LED - UM7300PUA Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR

Much appreciated, any help

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Butterfly Valley posted:

TCL launched in Europe a year ago. As usual I’m sure it’s fun and games working out which model relates to which, as with most brands.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

In Germany / Austria they can get that OLED Amazon Fire TV

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/4/20849188/amazon-fire-tv-edition-oled-alexa-grundig-toshiba-jvc

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Bananana posted:

Hello tv experts.

Im looking to spend ~700 bucks on a 65 in

Thats my budget, and my goal.

What can y'all recommend?

Im currently considering:

Samsung - 65" Class - LED - 7 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR

LG - 65" Class - LED - UM7300PUA Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR

Much appreciated, any help

Neither of those are really good. I'd look for last year's TCL 6 series (R617/R615/R613 depending on store) on sale somewhere.

Or the Hisense 8 series: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-65-class-led-h8f-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6360623.p?skuId=6360623

EDIT: Best Buy has the 2018 TCL 6 Series for just $730. I'd get that:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-65-class-led-6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204551.p?skuId=6204551

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My Xbox One X says my TV doesn't support 4K@120Hz so reduces the resolution to 1440p. Is that what's meant to happen? I thought the console and the TV both supported 4K120?

I think 4K maxes out at 60 frames under any scenario, it’s a limitation of HDMI currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

For 4K 120Hz you need both devices and the cable between them to all be certified for HDMI 2.1. It's a new spec and still pretty rare