Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jose posted:

They don't they're just trying to shift blame onto the EU for when they successfully no deal and everything becomes extremely hosed

Its this or 'charitably' the EU as a bloc holds all the cards so the only possible winning strategy for the Tories is if they stop acting like one so their strategy hinges on that happening no matter what the facts on the ground are.

It's similar to Greece and the Troika except the Troika was nominally three independent organisations rather than one explicit one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

nah they just actively want no deal because their hedge fund manager is leveraged to the eyeballs with shorts and puts against companies vulnerable to no deal

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And they have everything in place to go full disaster capitalist on the country, it can be safely assumed.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

jesus WEP posted:

nah they just actively want no deal because their hedge fund manager is leveraged to the eyeballs with shorts and puts against companies vulnerable to no deal

This is shockingly antisemitic

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
prime minister fatman if you could crash the value of your stiff upper lira some more in a couple of days when ill be visting and have to buy pounds thatd be real thoughtful tia

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hentai Jihadist posted:

This is shockingly antisemitic

Tropes all over the place.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Couldn't Britain solve this whole northern Ireland, backstop, hard border problem just by letting Northern Ireland reunify with Ireland?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gripweed posted:

Couldn't Britain solve this whole northern Ireland, backstop, hard border problem just by letting Northern Ireland reunify with Ireland?

They can, but don't wanna.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gripweed posted:

in the same way they could solve it by reconquering the south of ireland again yes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

jesus WEP posted:

in the same way they could solve it by reconquering the south of ireland again yes

Guess which one of those they're more open to.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

jesus WEP posted:

I feel like that would create it's own set of new problems

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I feel like that would create it's own set of new problems
yes

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Guess which one of those they're more open to.

Guess which one they could actually theoretically achieve

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah the army these days is too small to occupy northern ireland, let alone the republic lol

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ayn Randi posted:

prime minister fatman if you could crash the value of your stiff upper lira some more in a couple of days when ill be visting and have to buy pounds thatd be real thoughtful tia

Yes please. Apparently you can buy a Cayman S for like 15 grand in decent condition so I was hoping it would sink even lower when the no-deal happens.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

marktheando posted:

Yeah the army these days is too small to occupy northern ireland, let alone the republic lol

it owns how austerity has left the police and army wholly incapable of dealing with no deal brexit lol

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the tories know how bad everything is going to suck after no deal and they're just hoping to blame the eu

i don't think it's particularly likely to work but it's what they're doing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gum posted:

Guess which one they could actually theoretically achieve

See that 'joke' tweet about sending the army to 'peacefully' invade Ireland

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Gripweed posted:

It's not up to Britain to hand over NI to the Republic. The GFA states:

quote:

it is for the people of the island of Ireland alone, by agreement between the two parts respectively and without external impediment, to exercise their right of self-determination on the basis of consent, freely and concurrently given, North and South, to bring about a united Ireland, if that is their wish, accepting that this right must be achieved and exercised with and subject to the agreement and consent of a majority of the people of Northern Ireland.

There's no clear majority in support of unification on either side of the border.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bryter posted:

There's no clear majority in support of unification on either side of the border.

That's a shame. I would have expected a distinct majority, especially on the RoI side.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

prefect posted:

That's a shame. I would have expected a distinct majority, especially on the RoI side.

I think most people in the republic don't want to take on the burden of an economic wasteland full of bigots and terrorists

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Is this real?

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1181542541583273985?s=20

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Avirosb posted:

Who will defend the pubs?

i'm going to hole myself up in one like in shaun of the dead

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Ayn Randi posted:

My girlfriend is Turkish but lives in the US.

The sucky part is watching your country and economy collapse, but on the upside for expats when you visit on holidays you can buy your mum and dad lots of nice presents and then fill suitcases full of local goods. If all your doctors haven't fled the country by then might get a nice medical tourism industry going too. Also like AirBNBs for full apartments in the middle of the city in nice neighborhoods are like $25/night. Hotels have wised up and only accept online bookings in EUR now.

Anyway if anyone in the UK (or US for that matter) has any general roadmap questions for "a decade of rule by corrupt and inept authoritarian shitgibbons" lmk.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

:getin:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mrmcd posted:

My girlfriend is Turkish but lives in the US.

The sucky part is watching your country and economy collapse, but on the upside for expats when you visit on holidays you can buy your mum and dad lots of nice presents and then fill suitcases full of local goods. If all your doctors haven't fled the country by then might get a nice medical tourism industry going too. Also like AirBNBs for full apartments in the middle of the city in nice neighborhoods are like $25/night. Hotels have wised up and only accept online bookings in EUR now.

Anyway if anyone in the UK (or US for that matter) has any general roadmap questions for "a decade of rule by corrupt and inept authoritarian shitgibbons" lmk.

Aren't there a shitload of luxury apartments in London sitting empty?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Is the joke that exactly that will happen in 5 years when everyone with a professional degree moves to Frankfurt or Munich?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bryter posted:

Sounds like it's time for a referendum.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

toe curling?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Bip Roberts posted:

toe curling?

When leave.eu is hitting the back walls

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

This was normal level of discourse on the leave side during the referendum campaign.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dance Officer posted:

This was normal level of discourse on the leave side during the referendum campaign.

That feels like 20 years ago

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
Je brexis
Tu brexis
Il/Elle/On brexit
Nous brexissons
Vous brexissez
Ils/Elles brexissent

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

marktheando posted:

That feels like 20 years ago

it's been an interesting two decades to live

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Hentai Jihadist posted:

When leave.eu is hitting the back walls

Let me know when Brexit makes your calves start cramping

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/woodstockjag/status/1181592821570117632?s=21

the revenge of black rod

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bryter posted:

Wouldn't that depend on how you do the referendum? Instead of doing two separate referendums on reunifying the island, one in RoI and one in NI, do a combined referendum with two options:

- Reunify Ireland under the Republic of Ireland
- Reunify Ireland as part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

This would 100% get majority support for some sort of unification.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

So... What's the strategy now? Blame game?, more wacky hijinks? Surprise no deal?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

So... What's the strategy now? Blame game?, more wacky hijinks? Surprise no deal?

theyre gonna try something called brexit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Squizzle posted:

theyre gonna try something called brexit
Never heard of it
Is that a Harry Potter reference?