Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Volguus posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. The capabilities of MacroDroid are fine, I don't need anything complicated (just trigger + start app). The problem is that this one doesn't work either. It may be something with Android 10, new API(s) maybe or something. The developer complained a few years back that sometimes the device connected trigger of BT doesn't always work. Thought it may be solved by now.

According to this article the latest version of Tasker can do what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Looks like Android Auto will eventually let you remove poo poo you don't want on the launcher screen. Easily my biggest complaint about the redesign.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Same

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I want to know how many kids the AMDroid coder has because the "Go to bed now to wake up feeling refreshed!" alert is kind of presumptuous

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been using Google News for a while now and in the past few months it's started giving me notifications for stories about pro sports, mostly the NFL. I always tap the "show me fewer"button on these notifications, but it's obviously not helping. Is there any way I can beat this into the app? Failing that, what's some alternative that will give me a brief daily digest in the morning? There was one some years back that was great but went defunct.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Ever since I watched From One Second to the Next, my phone is off whenever I get into the driver seat and I don't use GPS unless I've got a passenger to fiddle with it for me. Might be extreme, but whatever. That short documentary hosed me up and I don't ever want to be in the position those people are in, on either end of the tragedy.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Party Boat posted:

I want to know how many kids the AMDroid coder has because the "Go to bed now to wake up feeling refreshed!" alert is kind of presumptuous

Negative three.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Is there a good adblock nowadays?

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

NLJP posted:

Is there a good adblock nowadays?

I hear good things about Blokada

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Been using Blokada for almost a year now. Other than the UI being kind of a pain it's a great app. Just turn it on and goodbye ads.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I couldn't really get Blockada to play nice on my Android TV (YouTube got kinda hitchy with it running), but it works great on my phone.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Thanks will give it a go

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Anyone else not have dark mode for Gmail?

Pixel 2 XL - Android 10 - Latest Gmail APK

Come'on Google.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Moey posted:

Anyone else not have dark mode for Gmail?

Pixel 2 XL - Android 10 - Latest Gmail APK

Come'on Google.

I'm still in the blinding white version. Up-to-dates Pixel 3. I saw a headline or something 7-10 days ago that days it'll be a 15-day rollout. So I guess we're just unlucky?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I still get the white version, on another note i wish I could make it switch between white and dark mode system wide without having to enable developer options

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have dark mode for Instagram now! It's great!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Flaskraven posted:

I hear good things about Blokada

Blokada is a great option for those without root. Honestly almost as good as AdAway. Take note though, that it uses a local VPN to do its magic and you can't run more than one VPN at a time on Android. So if you're already using a VPN for something else you'll have to do without it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

hooah posted:

I'm still in the blinding white version. Up-to-dates Pixel 3. I saw a headline or something 7-10 days ago that days it'll be a 15-day rollout. So I guess we're just unlucky?

Well that is annoying.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have dark mode for Instagram now! It's great!

Yeah, that's I remember how I'm still left in the dust on Gmail.

Also, anyone find anything about Hangouts going dark?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Moey posted:

Also, anyone find anything about Hangouts going dark?

Yeah it will be going dark sometime next year!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I don't know why, but Instagram dark mode is the only dark mode i'm not really fond of and I can't change it since it uses system settings. But different strokes, etc.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Count me in as another who doesn't have gmail dark mode on any devices (unless you want to count my Tab S5e which likes to have random UI elements in black on first load.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I swear I had gmail dark mode then it changed back....did I hallucinate that

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Your brain is just a/b testing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Wait, Instagram had a dark mode? How do I apply it?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

hooah posted:

Update rolled out today via Play Store. Dark Mode was applied automatically for me, presumably based on my system settings.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hooah posted:

Latest update and it's tied to Android 10's dark mode setting, for me at least.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I wasn't aware there was an update. Speaking of updates, the little expand arrows in the Play Store's update page stopped showing any content yesterday. Happen for anyone else?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Happened to me this morning.

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

Happened to me this morning.

Mine as well.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Google Play Store v17 fixes the broken changelog menu

The fix is rolling out. Link to APK Mirror in the article for those who can't wait to see "This release includes stability and performance improvements".

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I swear I had gmail dark mode then it changed back....did I hallucinate that

It got a dark mode right before they completely overhauled it, then they had to create a whole new dark mode for the new design. I still don't have it either.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I love how the search bar can't decide which mode it wants to be in, except for always being in the opposite theme from the keyboard resulting in white text in a white search bar or black text in a black search bar.

Thanks google.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Sir Lemming posted:

It got a dark mode right before they completely overhauled it, then they had to create a whole new dark mode for the new design.

That's one heck of an act. What do you call it?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Party Boat posted:

That's one heck of an act. What do you call it?

The Aristoapps!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

toplitzin posted:

I love how the search bar can't decide which mode it wants to be in, except for always being in the opposite theme from the keyboard resulting in white text in a white search bar or black text in a black search bar.

Thanks google.

Is this with Nova?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

LastInLine posted:

Is this with Nova?

Happens to me with vanilla.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Happens to me with vanilla.

Well I asked because there's a fix if it's with Nova but I can't help you if it's with the Pixel Launcher (or any other launcher, really).

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Anyone still have inbox still installed? I do and for some reason today it's started requesting my location.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Sextro posted:

Anyone still have inbox still installed? I do and for some reason today it's started requesting my location.

Google are really really serious about 'service termination'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I have 2 pixels, one is from work. Is there a good way to get notified of calls to one on the other? I don't need/want it to forward the call, just a notification and preferably something that can be scheduled.

Also neither of these phones can get Gmail dark mode yet either. Guess I am just unlucky?