Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Anyways...is the Henry box brown really just 12yr rum and grape juice? With that and the Bookers Manhattan it seems like he’s relying on high quality spirits to improve poor recipe balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Maestro posted:

Anyways...is the Henry box brown really just 12yr rum and grape juice? With that and the Bookers Manhattan it seems like he’s relying on high quality spirits to improve poor recipe balance.

15 year El Dorado specifically, unless they’re putting out fake recipes to mess with people. Which is probably more douchey than just being a bad bartender. A recent Yelp review says the drinks often have a poor balance or excessive alcohol taste, in addition to rude staff.

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh God, I hate bars like this. Every time you turn around, someone's fighting Benny Urquidez in the hallway.

The worst part is they legit have some of the best cocktails in town. The owners are part of the Dave Arnold school so they always have creative drinks with acid-adjusted orange juice, centrifuges, etc. None of my bartender friends can understand why such a skilled mixologist would ruin one of the best bars in Orlando by encouraging doing coke inside.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The drink tastes like rubbing alcohol. The grape juice just accentuates the alcoholic bite of the rum, it's terrible.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Toast Museum posted:

When you say to shake all ingredients, does that include the Malta? Not trying to be pedantic; I haven't tried shaking egg white with soda, but I can imagine it frothing up pretty well.

Yup and it does froth quite a bit with the foam sticking around for the duration thanks to the yolk. The lime is rather transformative and leaves the Malta and rum meshing to a neat flavor structure. I liked it enough that I'll be keeping some of the little bottles around in the bar.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The drink tastes like rubbing alcohol. The grape juice just accentuates the alcoholic bite of the rum, it's terrible.

That definitely matches the one review.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Well, I tried, but it’s hard to argue for going to a bar when the drinks aren’t up to par. I still think it’s beautiful, and it was a fun experience, but that’s probably because I walked a mile in the rain with my dad to get there.

Like the drink, it seems to be more about the story than the quality.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Maestro posted:

Well, I tried, but it’s hard to argue for going to a bar when the drinks aren’t up to par. I still think it’s beautiful, and it was a fun experience, but that’s probably because I walked a mile in the rain with my dad to get there.

Like the drink, it seems to be more about the story than the quality.

Like I said, I've been to a lot of bars. I travel regularly for work and pleasure and have spent at least one night visiting bars and restaurants in 13 states. I've been to 5 bars on the 50 Best Bars list and some others that are no longer on it, as well as bars that I consider to have drinks on par or even above them in quality; at this point I think I can say that my favorite hometown bars in Orlando and Sanford are on par with the "50 Best Bars" and are only not on the list because they lack the industry connections to get the necessary attention from the right people.

What I've quickly realized is that there's a plateau to how good a drink can be. If you make a classic cocktail with the right proportions and method, the choice of spirit and exact nuances of your method will have little influence on the final quality. Drinks with more unusual or rare ingredients like housemade infusions and bitters or Dave Arnold's scientific methods can create drinks that break rules and create new tastes, but they're rarely "better" than the established classics, just different and open to individual preferences. I love the Toki Lowball at Existing Conditions, but I'd still take a Sazerac with rye from Bitters & Brass near my house over it.

What happens is that your choice of bar becomes one of customer service, with an emphasis on character and kindness. Assuming drink quality is equal, your enjoyment will hinge on the people around you. Bitters & Brass in Sanford is my favorite bar not just because their drinks are top notch on a national level, but because the people working there have become my friends over a year of regular visits. I stop in on slow nights and spend hours talking to the bartenders on duty that night about our lives and recent food and drink experiences. I've been a taste tester for a green tea-infused gin cocktail that one of the owners was working on because there were no visitors for almost 2 hours and he was only there to wait on an ice delivery. One night I pulled up a mid-century cocktail that was very unbalanced due to excessive Chartreuse and the co-owner and Sandwich Anarchist competed over the Internet to create their recipes fixing it with me judging the cocktails. It's the first place I bring friends and coworkers to when we need a drink, and I always feel like I'm at home there.

By comparison, the bars downtown have a lot of problems despite having drinks that are objectively as good or better. The Robinson Room ruins an otherwise excellent bar with pro-drug imagery that encourages a rich guy version of the drunk dude starting fights and molesting women. Hanson's Shoe Repair has a password to get in and has awesome drinks, but will refuse to give proportions even for drinks that are already available online and won't kick out toxic customers for fear of losing money. The downtown bars also have a much worse crowd than Sanford but I don't fault them because Orlando drunks are loving insane. Like, my friends have almost gotten stabbed and barbacks have been robbed at gunpoint taking out the trash.

So Hop Sing already gets strikes against it for its attitude. So many people have corroborated accounts that they're abrasive and rude at the best of times. The owner is not just a douchebag, but seems to relish in the pleasure of banning undesirables and has made the ease of banning people practically a tourist attraction. Even if the drinks were awesome, an environment where everyone is staring at customers for a reason to permanently ban them and even getting aggressive and assaulting people (according to at least one review) isn't one that anybody should visit. The fact that the drinks aren't that great just makes it a shithead paradise.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Can't they all exist?

bars you go to just once for "the experience"
bars you go to when you feel like drinking heavily for cheap
bars that play the music you like
bars you go to see a familiar face
bars you go to because they're nearby
bars with cool/interesting/attractive staff
bars with awesome happy hour
bars you take clients to
bars you REALLY like but can only afford to go to once a year
bars with amazing drinks
bars you go to meet new people

In my experience, no single bar ticks all of those boxes. Nobody needs to finger a single "favorite" bar.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Philly update:

I ended up not finishing work and driving into town until 8:30. Went to Sarvida first for dinner, BYOB'ed a can of Hell or High Watermelon from Murph's bar. After dinner went to R&D and had two excellent cocktails:

Thank you all for recommendations! I'm wiped out or I would have visited more places!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I actually like Pastels, but they don't have a good bathroom to do coke in.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Some of the best drinks I've had were at dive bars with bored bartenders. I know a local whiskey/dive that had some amazing bartenders there. They up and left and started their own bar and took all their recipes with them. Best drat whiskey sours I've ever had hands down.

No bars that I've seen that encourages doing blow tho :shrug:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Caught a chill while reading so whipped up a gin toddy of Beefeater, lemon, sugar, and hot water from the kettle before making a pot of tea.

In hindsight, I have some honey gin made in Vermont I should have used but is good nonetheless.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I've been making a shitton of kombucha and am wanting to booze it up a bit. Other then the obvious infuse ginger and use it as a replacement for ginger beer, what're some good drinks?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I've been making a shitton of kombucha and am wanting to booze it up a bit. Other then the obvious infuse ginger and use it as a replacement for ginger beer, what're some good drinks?

What flavor kombucha?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What flavor kombucha?
Whole fruit/infusions: Peach, apricot, ginger and lemon and/or lime, blackberry, blueberry, cherry (using cherry juice). /e - Apple

I also have some pom and peach syrup for quick flavorings.

Good to make whatever flavor though.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 18, 2019

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Went to a hard kombucha bar the other day and tasted a basil infused 'bucha. It made us hungry for some Italian food. Very weird.

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 18, 2019

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Don't drink a gallon of the stuff. (Oh yeah I've been making apple too.) It was either that or some raw? sausage that made me regret the previous day's choices.

/e- haven't been making hard but gonna start!

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 18, 2019

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

/e- haven't been making hard but gonna start!

Stop talking about your poo

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Not to sure where hard 'bucha falls under in the booze. Is it a wine? Is it like distilling liquor? Or similar to homebrewin some beer? What kinda cocktails can ya even make with is? 'Bucha mimosas?

:iiam:

My cousin-in-law recently turned 21 and discovered Jager Bombs. He had a much better time then I did for sure, but he kept bringing out 2 for me and him and I couldn't disappoint ! I'm not old! I swear!

*has hangover for 3 days*

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'd put hard kombucha closest to homebrewing beer

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Not to sure where hard 'bucha falls under in the booze. Is it a wine? Is it like distilling liquor? Or similar to homebrewin some beer? What kinda cocktails can ya even make with is? 'Bucha mimosas?
2oz gin, 1oz campari, 5oz kombucha, and a touch of lemon and ginger juice is loving stunningly juicy. Also I know there's a cocktail called a Swedish Tart that's basically a shot of vodka, a shot of dill syrup, and fill with a green tea 'booch; a bar near me served it a while back, but I never wound up ordering the thing, I just took a photo of the menu.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds pretty good. My only issue is that I really do enjoy hard kombucha, but regular kombucha from the store is just gross to me. I figured gin and or vodka would make for a good way to booze up a drink. It's pretty much the go-to to booze up most anything really.

I'd put hard kombucha closest to homebrewing beer

Makes sense

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Most store booches are pasteurized so they don't blow and it makes them ironically blow

Whalley posted:

2oz gin, 1oz campari, 5oz kombucha, and a touch of lemon and ginger juice is loving stunningly juicy. Also I know there's a cocktail called a Swedish Tart that's basically a shot of vodka, a shot of dill syrup, and fill with a green tea 'booch; a bar near me served it a while back, but I never wound up ordering the thing, I just took a photo of the menu.

ty

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
The distillery said to make an old fashioned with this one, so I did. It's great!

Ask Weltlich for more info! :v:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

trip report: a few szechuan peppercorns, crushed, work to give that twang to a bloody mary if you run out of horseradish!

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I've been making mojitos with about an ounce of rum and half a can of lime White Claw each. Along with the rest of the canonical ingredients. They're actually amazing. I'm using some white Havana Club rum I brought back from Europe. Also i store the rum in the freezer to get a little less ice melt action going.

What's the closest/best alternative to Havana Club in the US? poo poo is gonna run out. I've heard good things about Caña Brava. I'm well versed in rum but I'm usually buying different style bottles for tiki drinks.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I personally think cana brava tastes like rubbing alchohol

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I've been using Flor de Caña Extra Seco, but I have to work with what's actually available in my area.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I dont know if they still make Caña brava, but that doesn’t mean you can’t find it. I’ve enjoyed it. Diplomatico is a good choice, for anything

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a Mount Gay kinda guy myself. I'm also a Malibu and Sailor Jerry guy. So take my recommendations with a grain of salt here.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I'm a Mount Gay kinda guy myself. I'm also a Malibu and Sailor Jerry guy. So take my recommendations with a grain of salt here.

I love Mount gay extra old for sipping and am sad I finished my bottle and haven't had the wherewithal to replace it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

kirtar posted:

I've been using Flor de Caña Extra Seco, but I have to work with what's actually available in my area.

Seconded, especially since they've apparently cleaned up their labor practices in the last few years. Excellent Cuban-style white rum.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I am so glad it's morally defensible to buy Flor de Caña again. Their Extra Seco is so good and so, so cheap. The four-year is a crazy value for the quality as well.

Speaking of, I'm also loving Denizen's new Vatted Dark. It's a hundred-proof 80/20 blend of vat-distilled aged Guyana rum and unaged agricole. Spicy and high-toned from the agricole, with a rich cola-syrup backbone. $26 in Atlanta. Recommended.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Does anyone have a favorite bitters making guide? I want to make a pine bitters for my brother who likes both of those things.

I have an isi whipper if that makes infusion easier or more effective.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Quick opinions of some store bought egg nog? I know there's a thread about making nog, but gently caress that poo poo. I'm lazy. I just wanna buy premade bottles and if need be add more booze to some nogs.

Thinkin bout the upcoming holidays and as per tradition (that I started a year ago) I make a large quantity of booze. Last year was a hot cider/tottie

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
homemade eggnog is pretty quick and easy and far superior to storebought stuff, so i can't rightly recommend any store bought brand (the only brand i kinda like is local to me so would be a worthless suggestion anyway)

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
Nog is not my jam but I remember liking the Trader Joe's carton my wife got.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
If you do decide to do your own nog, and you should, everyone and their mother-in-law swears by the Alton Brown Aged Egg Nog recipe.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thing is, I have very limited fridge space during the holidays. My house is grandmas house which is THEE house for holiday shenanigans (before everyone goes home to their houses of course) So between having turkeys, hams, pies, and a million tamales. I can't really squeeze some Nog jars in there. Maybe one day I'll try it out.

slut chan posted:

If you do decide to do your own nog, and you should, everyone and their mother-in-law swears by the Alton Brown Aged Egg Nog recipe.

Coolio, I'll keep a look out. I'm also interested in non-alcoholic nogs that I'll probably booze up somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

So I'm not sure where to even begin, but I figured I'd start here: I'm trying to obtain https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/3248/lapponia-cloudberry-liqueur-lakka for a christmas gift (or maybe not that specific brand but it's gotta have cloudberries), but it won't deliver to the states. I don't know if I just call up liquor stores or what, it's on amazon.uk so I figure it can't be that rare? Any ideas/advice would be appreciated