Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Epic High Five posted:

weird how none of the press is at all concerned about a popular revolt against an unpopular government in any of the half dozen places literally burning US embassies to the ground and is instead worried only about Venezuela

Venezuela is old news. Hong Kong is new hotness.

Hong Kong chuds beating on a train with sticks gets more press coverage than Haitians burning down police stations, or Ecuadorians forcing their own government to flee the capital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Venezuela is old news. Hong Kong is new hotness.

Hong Kong chuds beating on a train with sticks gets more press coverage than Haitians burning down police stations, or Ecuadorians forcing their own government to flee the capital.

imagine if the HK protesters were anti-government protesters here doing the exact same stuff lmao

the press and chuds would be howling for tanks to run them all over and machine gun the rest

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic High Five posted:

imagine if the HK protesters were anti-government protesters here doing the exact same stuff lmao

the press and chuds would be howling for tanks to run them all over and machine gun the rest

It would never get that far, because motorists would run them over en masse.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chef's Kiss

https://twitter.com/jguaido/status/1181397848258162688

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Maduroooo!!!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

weird how none of the press is at all concerned about a popular revolt against an unpopular government in any of the half dozen places literally burning US embassies to the ground and is instead worried only about Venezuela

they don't have the oil

Frijolero posted:

Chef's Kiss

still extremely mad the SA smily is :discourse: and not :vegeta:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Mod edit: FBI bait

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

A foreign-backed coup is trying to upend a legitimate government, you say???

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i do sorta miss zapplez posting horny for guaido, they should start again but in this thread :sun:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/08/opinion/john-bolton-maduro.html

During John Bolton’s recently ended tenure as national security adviser, he convinced President Trump that the Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro was on the verge of losing power. Mr. Bolton is reported to have been the architect of the several failed attempts to unseat President Maduro, a frequent target of Mr. Trump’s bluster.

We now know that Mr. Maduro’s fall was not imminent. Instead, Mr. Bolton bluffed on the high-ranking military officials who were about to betray Mr. Maduro; he bluffed on the number of people who would take to the streets in April to try to overthrow the Maduro regime; and he also seemed to believe that sanctions would work very quickly. Most important, though, his biggest mistake was to proceed along those lines without any Plan B in case this Plan A did not work. In the end, he has succeeded only in making Mr. Maduro stronger.

:yeshaha:

e: it goes on to say how Maduro is bad and still needs to be overthrown. dont read it.

RealityWarCriminal has issued a correction as of 20:04 on Oct 8, 2019

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I don't know what the right thread for this is, but: what's the best source to keep up to date irt Ecuador? My brother just got down there to be a whitewater guide or so he said and while it doesn't look like anything too worrying is going on, would like to be able to keep up with it

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Reality Sinner posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/08/opinion/john-bolton-maduro.html

During John Bolton’s recently ended tenure as national security adviser, he convinced President Trump that the Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro was on the verge of losing power. Mr. Bolton is reported to have been the architect of the several failed attempts to unseat President Maduro, a frequent target of Mr. Trump’s bluster.

We now know that Mr. Maduro’s fall was not imminent. Instead, Mr. Bolton bluffed on the high-ranking military officials who were about to betray Mr. Maduro; he bluffed on the number of people who would take to the streets in April to try to overthrow the Maduro regime; and he also seemed to believe that sanctions would work very quickly. Most important, though, his biggest mistake was to proceed along those lines without any Plan B in case this Plan A did not work. In the end, he has succeeded only in making Mr. Maduro stronger.

:yeshaha:

e: it goes on to say how Maduro is bad and still needs to be overthrown. dont read it.

Oh the tears. The delicious loving neocon tears.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

quote:

He also achieved his first diplomatic victory in years last week at the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva, persuading enough countries, including China, Cuba, Egypt, Iran and Mexico, to vote for a resolution to promote a peaceful solution the Venezuelan crisis without foreign interference, which should be taken with a grain of salt coming from Mr. Maduro.

what the gently caress does this even mean lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I don't know what the right thread for this is, but: what's the best source to keep up to date irt Ecuador? My brother just got down there to be a whitewater guide or so he said and while it doesn't look like anything too worrying is going on, would like to be able to keep up with it

Last I heard the protesters made the government flee its own capital.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ecuador have the Good protesters that are trying to kick out Lenin Moreno for being a neolib sell-out

There were also Good protests in Honduras (at least as of June) against the right-wing government there that's been in power since 2009 when Manuel Zelaya (who wasn't even that left-wing) was deposed by security forces

It was Nicaragua that had to beat back a US-backed attempted coup of their Sandinista-party President Daniel Ortega

And then finally we also have right-wing protests in Bolivia trying to stir-up poo poo to remove left-wing President Evo Morales from power just as the country is about to head into another election

that about right?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gh0stpinballa posted:

what the gently caress does this even mean lol

Propagandists gotta propagandize.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ecuador have the Good protesters that are trying to kick out Lenin Moreno for being a neolib sell-out

There were also Good protests in Honduras (at least as of June) against the right-wing government there that's been in power since 2009 when Manuel Zelaya (who wasn't even that left-wing) was deposed by security forces

It was Nicaragua that had to beat back a US-backed attempted coup of their Sandinista-party President Daniel Ortega

And then finally we also have right-wing protests in Bolivia trying to stir-up poo poo to remove left-wing President Evo Morales from power just as the country is about to head into another election

that about right?

Dont forget that peru is going through a constitutional crisis now as well

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Last I heard the protesters made the government flee its own capital.

That's a bit more concerning but I'm not gonna worry too much until the kidnapping of randos or murder gangs start.

Probably should Google the address of the US consulate in Ecuador and make sure that he has it written down somewhere though

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

isn't ortega kind of a piece of poo poo

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/taseenb/status/1181796385638760449?s=20

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

that about right?

The US didn't back the Nicaraguan protesters although they did make a few vague anti-Ortega noises. The protests there were against pension reform that was basically just straight austerity and benefit cuts so US quiescence is perhaps unsurprising even if they hate Ortega.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The US did pass sanction on Nicaragua not long after using the protests as justification, included Nicaragua as part of the "Troika of Tyranny," and had funded many of the NGOs that were involved in the protests.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

The US did pass sanction on Nicaragua not long after using the protests as justification, included Nicaragua as part of the "Troika of Tyranny," and had funded many of the NGOs that were involved in the protests.

huh I'd missed those sanctions, looks like they (unsurprisingly) all happened under Bolton's tenure. Kinda weird timing since the sanctions all came after the protests had already died down a bit, but I guess they continued to slow burn over the summer. There were several thousand opposition people who ended up fleeing since last year, the crackdown has been pretty strong.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

it’s almost certain that the US was involved in arming the gangs who tried locking down the streets in Nicaragua and kidnapped & tortured anyone they suspected of being a Sandinista. the anti-spending cut protests were immediately seized on as a right wing coup attempt.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Looking at the state department page the Nicaraguan sanctions block the country from receiving any IMF, World Bank, or Inter-American Development Bank loans. It's pretty strict. There's also a bunch of personal sanctions on Ortega and his top lieutenants but those are comparatively unimportant. Nicaragua is fairly reliant on international credit so locking them out of access to those institutions is pretty serious.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
national extortion

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

yup

https://thegrayzone.com/2018/07/30/...-and-sanctions/

quote:

A detailed study of the death toll that has been recorded in Nicaragua since a violent campaign to remove President Daniel Ortega and his Sandinista government shows that at least as many Sandinista supporters were killed as opposition members. The study, “Monopolizing Death,” demonstrates how partisan local NGOs conflated all deaths that occurred since April, including accidents and the murders of Sandinistas, with killings by government forces. Washington has seized on the bogus death count to drive the case for sanctions and intensify pressure for regime change.

The manipulated death toll was the centerpiece of a July 25 harangue by Republican Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen on the House floor. While drumming up support for a bipartisan resolution condemning Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega for supposedly ordering the massacre of demonstrators, Ros-Lehtinen declared, “Mr. Speaker, four hundred and fifty! That is how many Nicaraguans have been killed by the Ortega regime and its thugs since April of this year.”

The congresswoman’s portrayal of a dictatorial regime gunning down peaceful protesters like helpless quails in a canned hunt was designed to generate pressure for an attack on the Nicaraguan economy in the form of sanctions packages like the Nica Act. Her narrative was reinforced by Vice President Mike Pence, who condemned Nicaragua’s government for “350+ dead at the hands of the regime,” and by Ken Roth, the long-serving executive director of Human Rights Watch, who also suggested that Ortega had personally ordered the killing of “300 demonstrators against his corrupt and repressive rule.”

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Percelus posted:

i do sorta miss zapplez posting horny for guaido, they should start again but in this thread :sun:

Any of us could be one of his parachute accounts.:tinfoil:

(well, except for the fact that he's notoriously bad at hiding those lol)

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
i was reading a thread from 2016 and I ran across a post from our favorite venezuelan expat goon who definitely opposes american military intervention

fnox posted:

As a Venezuelan there is nothing I would desire more in this world than to have the US run my country instead of some incompetent chucklefucks who think the country that buys the most of our oil is our enemy.

I seriously don't understand how America having influence all over the world is a bad thing but China doing the same is a good thing? Like, China basically owns Venezuela now, how is that any better than America owning Venezuela? How is that anti-imperialism?

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
say something about the holodomor and see who bites

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Slanderer posted:

i was reading a thread from 2016 and I ran across a post from our favorite venezuelan expat goon who definitely opposes american military intervention

Oh my God, he was everything we said he was and more.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i vaguely remember some members of the nicaraguan ayn ran fan club taking part in the protests and then touring the u.s. to meet ted cruz and then popping up at ISO meetings to give talks on their apparent revolution with their faces masked

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

does human rights watch do any good or is it complete trash

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Jeep posted:

gently caress Human Rights Watch. Their whole schtick is to write down "human rights abuses" and stuff them in a manila folder somewhere to be pulled out whenever the US spots oil or a new consumer market

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Jeep posted:

HRW is absolute trash. Amnesty International is equally useless, but at least they’re correct sometimes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/dancohen3000/status/1182120144665022464?s=20

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Well now I'm getting a bit more worried about my brother

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://youtu.be/7fy-g7udAew

Real News report on the class character of the Ecuadorian demonstrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Shooting to cripple your own citizens, who you will have to care for in the future, to own the libs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

lol if you think the current ecuadorian government will ever take care of those citizens