Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

frajaq posted:

let me get this straight, this is the guy a lot of people gave large amounts of money?

yeah but, the vision, ya know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
VisionQuest ain't cheap! Nor are the mountains of pills.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Holy moley what a bunch of tl;dr that... doesn't really say anything.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
At this point he really better be pilled up as gently caress. If he's not it's so much worse.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I mean from the ground floor of the original thread people were saying 'don't giving this benzo'd out lunatic money' but mmo fans gonna mmo fan

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Just stopped in to say canonically Brad is an opiate addict not benzos. Thanks for listening

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
One doesn't preclude the other

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

That Brad post is truly bizarre. Imagine sitting through a meeting with him...

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
To ensure he actually plays whatever of the game they made, the devs made a class specifically for him. Unlike when he tried shilling Vanguard and it was obvious he never even touched the poo poo and was hype phoneposting on the FoH boards while doing coke off a ladyboys rear end in Thailand.

So many good Brad memes lost to time. Wish we still had the thread where he came here trying to hype Pantheon.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Solarin posted:

Just stopped in to say canonically Brad is an opiate addict not benzos. Thanks for listening

those posts are 100% "just sniffed a roxy and feeling VISIONARY" and not at all "took a bunch of xanax and drooling on the keyboard". only explanation for this is that someone in the pantheon office broke a bone and Brad got into their office with the master key

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Givin posted:

To ensure he actually plays whatever of the game they made, the devs made a class specifically for him. Unlike when he tried shilling Vanguard and it was obvious he never even touched the poo poo and was hype phoneposting on the FoH boards while doing coke off a ladyboys rear end in Thailand.

So many good Brad memes lost to time. Wish we still had the thread where he came here trying to hype Pantheon.

It's still in the archives, I found it a few months back without too much effort but it did take some searching.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

onesixtwo posted:

It's still in the archives, I found it a few months back without too much effort but it did take some searching.

Please post the link here if you can.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601416 This is the original thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601416&userid=207941 here are Brad's posts. Then the second thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744114&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 after Brad stopped posting / most people knew it was dumpster fire. Now we're here, some four years later, still in pre-alpha.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
What a treasure trove those threads are.

--Brad

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is completely passed me by that Brad is a goon, but he has only made 25 posts and has not posted since 2014.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

why do these games only attract the most broken people?

One of the mods in the Pantheon subreddit posted some rant about how he's been thinking about quitting.

https://old.reddit.com/r/PantheonMMO/comments/dd0t4i/i_legit_thought_about_quitting_being_a_mod_a_week/

This is how he starts the post:

quote:

OK, generic back story. I've got mental issues, got a new job, priorities changed...yadda yadda...you guys (and gals) are old enough you've heard many of these iterations. TLDR: I've been less present of late bc of Life. I used to ck this sub 10-20 times a day. Now, I can go over a week without logging in. /shrug Like I said, Life.

and then he goes on to talk about all the "poo poo" he's been dealing with as a mod. A bunch of people responded letting him know that it's a terrible idea for a mod to make emotional posts like that, the post made them uncomfortable, etc.

He responded with:

quote:

Yes. I've aired dirty laundry before. And I will continue to do so.

The sky is blue. Skeleton Jack airs the Pantheon sub dirty laundry. It's another Thursday. These are all very clearly obvious facts.

If you want a Mod Team who is going to sweep things under the rug, hide away the dirty malefactors (aka, bad actors), and let you live in a pristine world of Pantheon bliss...well, maybe you should start recruiting that team and sell them to us. We might buy the BS you're shoveling bc it means less work on us. Not joking there either.

I give zero SHITS about drama. I get no emotional high or low from other's responses. I don't have an active cell phone. I don't care about Likes, Favs, or any other other social media bull poo poo. I only log into Facebook for contests on the 1 in a million chance of "free stuff". I view thing like Facebook and approval as moronic. That's just me.

With me, you get 100% honesty and transparency. And when our poo poo stinks, I'm gonna show you the poo poo stained sheets and poop streaked undies.

You might not like me, I may say and do poo poo that pisses you off, but you'll always know I'm being honest with you. And if that price is people like you thinking it's drama or power hungry mod BS, I'll pay it.

Least I told you the truth.

Edit: If I'm being honest, I do enjoy being down voted into oblivion. It gives me a certain kind of glee. I actually cackle in real life. It's one of the very few "achievements" I enjoy. Getting hundreds of upvotes...I don't know man, I've had tens of thousands of downloads on my mods, millions of views on my blog...upvotes just don't get my juices flowing if I'm being real.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That is the same mod that is convinced there is a conspiracy on his subreddit to destroy Pantheon and get the game canceled. He is ultra paranoid and has banned a bunch of posters from his subreddit who he claims are in on this conspiracy, but he admits that he has no evidence to support this.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

nice, the kind of mod this game deserves, and that last paragraph is loving hilarious and sad

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

at least the star citizen and shroud idiots have had something play, idk how anyone could stay engaged for years to a project that hasn't even released a buggy tech demo for the diehards yet

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I said come in! posted:

Is completely passed me by that Brad is a goon, but he has only made 25 posts and has not posted since 2014.

Yeah the account was made for him to expressly shill in that thread for Pantheon.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I once thought Garriott and McQuaid were essentially fighting for the direction of what's left of the MMO industry.

It's funny to see how both have failed, but at least Garriott tried got something that sort of looks like a game out the door.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Freakazoid_ posted:

I once thought Garriott and McQuaid were essentially fighting for the direction of what's left of the MMO industry.

It's funny to see how both have failed, but at least Garriott tried got something that sort of looks like a game out the door.

he also fleeced way more nerds

not to mention he was buying assets off the unity store cheap, turning them around and selling them to idiots for a stupid amount, if you are going to grift do it right

Percelus fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 8, 2019

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

That’s the worlds longest if you can’t handle me at my worst you don’t deserve me at my best post.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I’ve been laughing at this part for five minutes

quote:

With me, you get 100% honesty and transparency. And when our poo poo stinks, I'm gonna show you the poo poo stained sheets and poop streaked undies.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

onesixtwo posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601416 This is the original thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601416&userid=207941 here are Brad's posts. Then the second thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744114&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 after Brad stopped posting / most people knew it was dumpster fire. Now we're here, some four years later, still in pre-alpha.

What a great thread that was.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Brad posted:

Using Unity this time around, we're going to avoid all of this, which is why I've been saying we can do this in 3 years with one of those years being beta testing. Less money and less time spent in the guts of an engine FTW.

Making games is harder when you can't just steal the dikumud source code.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
its funny that a single guy made a complete mmo by himself on unity (project gorgon), while this and shroud of the avatar have full development studios and can't produce a finished game

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Seriously what is so hard about just making eq1 with better graphics? That's basically what it's supposed to be right? Some broken part of me still legitimately wants to play it.

Playing p99 green while also observing the inevitable collapse of pantheon will sort of be a good placeholder.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Relayer posted:

Seriously what is so hard about just making eq1 with better graphics? That's basically what it's supposed to be right? Some broken part of me still legitimately wants to play it.

combo of brad snorting all the money up his nose and feature creep.

the original eq cost less than 5 million in today's dollars to make.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

30.5 Days posted:

Making games is harder when you can't just steal the dikumud source code.

The diku code would have been useless for the EQ server in a bunch of ways. They envied it, but the odds they stole the code itself are vanishingly small.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Relayer posted:

Playing p99 green while also observing the inevitable collapse of pantheon will sort of be a good placeholder.

The scope of the original project has changed drastically. It was originally proposed as the spiritual successor to EQ, with a few new features tossed in to freshen it up.

Now they’re trying to do way too much and it seems like the project is on its last leg.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Supposedly Vanguard was done almost entirely in the last year before launch by a couple of programmers reassigned from the EQ teams using macros. Brad was MIA during almost all of the development time along with the cronies he populated his senior staff with.

Of course this is all hearsay from an anonymous poster on the Fires of Heaven board claiming to be one of those programmers. The post was also the source of the rumors about Brad breaking into peoples offices to look for Oxy.

That would have been amazing since SOE did not sign the deal to publish Vanguard until about two weeks before it launched. I worked at SOE at the time, and while two dudes using marcos may have 'finished' Vanguard over the last year of its development, and those two dudes may have been former EQ devs, they most assuredly were not 'reassigned' from EQ to Vanguard.

SOE and Sigil were completely different companies and for most of that year SOE saw Vanguard as a competitor with EQ and EQ2. Reality is that Vanguard was not finished, Brad et al. knew this, and basically unloaded it to SOE about two weeks before it launched, and then that day (might not have been, but that's how I remember it), Sigil turned around and laid off all of its employees.

Oh, the memories.

Edit

It occurs to me you might be talking about post acquisition development, in which case, yes it was reassigned EQ devs; however, this was after the game actually launched.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 18, 2019

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Percelus posted:

at least the star citizen and shroud idiots have had something play, idk how anyone could stay engaged for years to a project that hasn't even released a buggy tech demo for the diehards yet

They can just roll another toon on p99 and sort of squint their eyes and pretend it’s a new game.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

ZombieLenin posted:

That would have been amazing since SOE did not sign the deal to publish Vanguard until about two weeks before it launched. I worked at SOE at the time, and while two dudes using marcos may have 'finished' Vanguard over the last year of its development, and those two dudes may have been former EQ devs, they most assuredly were not 'reassigned' from EQ to Vanguard.

SOE and Sigil were completely different companies and for most of that year SOE saw Vanguard as a competitor with EQ and EQ2. Reality is that Vanguard was not finished, Brad et al. knew this, and basically unloaded it to SOE about two weeks before it launched, and then that day (might not have been, but that's how I remember it), Sigil turned around and laid off all of its employees.

Oh, the memories.

Edit

It occurs to me you might be talking about post acquisition development, in which case, yes it was reassigned EQ devs; however, this was after the game actually launched.

I know somebody who was invited to the infamous ice cream party in the carpark that fateful day at Sigil. I still do a rofl to this day thinking about all the staff thinking 'woo free icecream' only to be told instead of icecream you are getting unemployment paperwork.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Byolante posted:

I know somebody who was invited to the infamous ice cream party in the carpark that fateful day at Sigil. I still do a rofl to this day thinking about all the staff thinking 'woo free icecream' only to be told instead of icecream you are getting unemployment paperwork.

Wait I want to hear more about this.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Pathos posted:

Wait I want to hear more about this.

An all hands email was sent around to meet in the carpark for a ice cream party.

this was what happened

quote:

On the afternoon of May 14th, the entire company was instructed to meet in the Sigil Games parking lot. It was here that Director of Production Andy Platter informed the staff that the game was tanking, Sigil was basically out of money, Vanguard was being sold to SOE, and everyone in the studio was fired.

Plenty of sources for the meeting are still out there if you go looking for it

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Byolante posted:

Had a buddy who I played Everquest with who worked at Sigil. Was in IRC with him throughout development and he'd talk about how things were. The thing I'll never forget about this was him coming back from the parking lot thing and just saying how they all got shitcanned and he's taking his computer chair home because it was super comfortable and at least he'd get something out of this shitshow.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Givin posted:

Had a buddy who I played Everquest with who worked at Sigil. Was in IRC with him throughout development and he'd talk about how things were. The thing I'll never forget about this was him coming back from the parking lot thing and just saying how they all got shitcanned and he's taking his computer chair home because it was super comfortable and at least he'd get something out of this shitshow.

I saw Jerry Macguire too.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Did they not even give them ice cream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

Did they not even give them ice cream

seriously, this is the most important part of the story. was there ice cream or not? and what flavors