Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Very much not a lawyer, so let me just ask if my understanding is correct:

The roadmap from Watergate was released to Congress in 1974? Is DOJ today saying that it was wrong, or has this already be established as something that was wrong at the time?

In either case, are they arguing that the information in the roadmap from 1974, which lead to Nixon's impeachment, is the same standard with which the Mueller grand jury material should be evaluated against?

That... does not seem to help their case, does it?

Somebody post a kitten - this is a shameful snipe.

refleks fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

refleks posted:

Very much not a lawyer, so let me just ask if my understanding is correct:

The roadmap from Watergate was released to Congress in 1974? Is DOJ today saying that it was wrong, or has this already be established as something that was wrong at the time?

In either case, are they arguing that the information in the roadmap from 1974, which lead to Nixon's impeachment, is the same standard with which the Mueller grand jury material should be evaluated against?

That... does not seem to help their case, does it?

"It was wrong that the courts gave Congress evidence that could be used against the President" is their argument.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

"It was wrong that the courts gave Congress evidence that could be used against the President" is their argument.

That, and it's a bullshit extension tactic; if accepted as an argument, it would require re-litigating the Watergate trial to some extent, too!

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Rudoku posted:

We say month/date/year and no European ever explained their backwards date writing. We ain't gotta explain poo poo.

its in order by length

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nonsense posted:

I really wish he was involved in some way or form with this administration's corruption beyond cheer leading it, because he's genuine scum.

he might be. i don;t think trump has stuff on him but it wouldnt surprise me if he is deep involved in some weird hosed up poo poo.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

So it's a legal argument that no matter how pertinent the content of the material to the question at hand, the information should not be handed over.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ershalim posted:

That, and it's a bullshit extension tactic; if accepted as an argument, it would require re-litigating the Watergate trial to some extent, too!

no... no it would not

it's just a response to a hypo the judge asked

they did a bad job, that is the takeaway

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

what

no

the DOJ does not run article 3 courts

It doesn't, but to enforce the rulings they would need justice department or us marshals which are also under doj!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

refleks posted:

So it's a legal argument that no matter how pertinent the content of the material to the question at hand, the information should not be handed over.

Yes, seeing as this administration literally argued just yesterday that the President is immune from criminal prosecution regarding his New York state taxes.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

eke out posted:

no... no it would not

it's just a response to a hypo the judge asked

Oh. Well that's good news, then. Here's an apology bunny tax. https://twitter.com/LilBreezyVert1/status/1181035142875435010

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The strategy of screaming "you can't do that!" at literally everything regardless of what it is just to slow down the process and muddy the waters is depressingly effective.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

what

no

the DOJ does not run article 3 courts

Do the Article 3 Courts have an enforcement arm outside the Marshals? Because it sure looks like the Marshals report to Barr

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

empty whippet box posted:

The strategy of screaming "you can't do that!" at literally everything regardless of what it is just to slow down the process and muddy the waters is depressingly effective.

seems the courts are just pissing on them when they try and the dems seem to be whipping out the hammer now.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Stop signal boosting batshit loving tweets from bots or accounts indistinguishable from bots. We shouldn't have to see pepe/rageface drawings in this thread.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Trump's legal strategy for his entire life has been to be such a pain in the rear end that the other side gives up.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

beejay posted:

Stop signal boosting batshit loving tweets from bots or accounts indistinguishable from bots. We shouldn't have to see pepe/rageface drawings in this thread.

Alternately, stop whining about politics in the USPol thread.

This is poo poo happening now, it's worth discussing

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/onuprof/status/1181601602286669825

:whitewater:

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

beejay posted:

I'm going to have to second this request. I'm not sure what good it does or how it advances the conversation.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Alternately, stop whining about politics in the USPol thread.

This is poo poo happening now, it's worth discussing

What discussion can be had over a Pepe cartoon?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
If executive oversight is a power given to congress in the constitution then I don’t see how executive privilege is a thing at all. Congress should be able to request the cocktail napkin that Trump used to wipe his nose and the executive should have to comply.

We’re already past the looking glass here because we’ve reached the point where congress is having to impeach a president just to do their basic constitutional duties...and even then the executive is resisting. This is a constitutional crisis happening in slow motion and the damage has already been done.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

That's literally how people in privileged positions deal with any sort of equality action.

You just raise holy hell at the slightest provocation and hope other people back down.

I've had a manager who managed like that too. Just crush any idea that might cost more money and make them come at you multiple times. It's loving stupid.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

The one thing we can absolutely be certain of is that no Republican Senators are going to bat an eye at a refusal to comply with subpoenas. The other stuff matters, but the "process crimes" of not complying with Democrats demands are a feature, not a bug to them.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

"Strong Trump supporters"

90% of people who strongly support Trump...trust him????? What a huge surprise!?!?!?!?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Not seeing how one can say gorsuch is swing vote when the fucker says this

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1181604598303399937

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Devor posted:

Do the Article 3 Courts have an enforcement arm outside the Marshals? Because it sure looks like the Marshals report to Barr

They are under the DOJ. But this got me curious as to which law enforcement officers do NOT report to the DOJ so I did some digging. They are:

quote:

Legislative Branch

Sergeant at Arms of the United States House of Representatives
Sergeant at Arms of the United States Senate
United States Capitol Police (USCP)
Office of Inspector General (USCP OIG)
Office of Professional Responsibility (USCP OPR)
Library of Congress (LOC)
Office of Inspector General (LOC-OIG)
Government Publishing Office (GPO)
Office of Inspector General (GPO-OIG)
Government Publishing Office Police

Judicial Branch

Marshal of the United States Supreme Court
United States Supreme Court Police
Administrative Office of the United States Courts (AOUSC)
Office of Probation and Pretrial Services

Other federal law enforcement agencies

Independent Agencies and federally-administered institutions;

Central Intelligence Agency
Security Protective Service (CIA SPS)

United States Environmental Protection Agency
Office of Inspector General (EPA-OIG)
Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance (OECA)
Criminal Enforcement Division
National Gallery of Art
Office of Protection Services
NASA
Office of Inspector General (NASA-OIG)
Office of Protective Services (NASA OPS)
United States Office of Personnel Management (OPM)
Office of Inspector General (OPM OIG)
Federal Investigative Services Division (FIS)
National Background Investigations Bureau (NBIB)
United States Postal Service (USPS)
Office of Inspector General (USPS-OIG)
United States Postal Inspection Service (USPIS)
U.S. Postal Police
Smithsonian Institution (SI)
Office of Inspector General (SI-OIG)
Office of Protection Services
National Zoological Park Police (NZPP)
Amtrak
Office of Inspector General (Amtrak-OIG)
Office of Security Strategy and Special Operations (OSSSO)
Amtrak Police Department
Federal Reserve System
Office of Inspector General (FRB/CFPB-OIG)
Federal Reserve Police
Federal Reserve Board of Governors
Federal Reserve Board Police
Tennessee Valley Authority
Office of Inspector General (TVA-OIG)
Tennessee Valley Authority Police (TVAP)
Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC)
Office of Inspector General (NRC-OIG)
National Science Foundation (NSF)
Office of Inspector General (NSF-OIG)
National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
Office of Inspector General (NARA-OIG)
Railroad Retirement Board (RRB)
Office of Inspector General (RRB-OIG)
Small Business Administration (SBA)
Office of Inspector General (SBA-OIG)
Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)
Office of Inspector General (FDIC-OIG)
General Services Administration (GSA)
Office of Inspector General (GSA-OIG)
Social Security Administration (SSA)
Office of Inspector General (SSA-OIG)
United States Agency for International Development
Office of Inspector General (AID-OIG)
Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS)
Office of Inspector General (CNCS-OIG)

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Rabble posted:

If executive oversight is a power given to congress in the constitution then I don’t see how executive privilege is a thing at all. Congress should be able to request the cocktail napkin that Trump used to wipe his nose and the executive should have to comply.

We’re already past the looking glass here because we’ve reached the point where congress is having to impeach a president just to do their basic constitutional duties...and even then the executive is resisting. This is a constitutional crisis happening in slow motion and the damage has already been done.

Part of it is that the country is old enough to have dealt with malicious compliance in the past. A congress that can oversee to that extent will absolutely hobble the executive to the point where nothing will get done at all. Not that that's much of a change from what republicans already do, but because it was a foreseeable problem, the congress chose instead, to cede a lot of its constitutional powers in favor of smoothing out the process of getting bills written, voted on, and signed into law.

The other part is precedent; a lot of the powers congress didn't cede have weakened through disuse and misuse. As it stands now, there are sitting congressmen who believe they serve "at the pleasure of the president," which, obviously is not at all what they're supposed to be for. But lovely education, and a lack of institutional knowledge somehow (despite everyone being in their early 100's) have led us to the current situation where congress is more like a collection of especially noisy gnats to the executive's crime spree.

You're probably right, though -- the constitution is in crisis and almost certainly will never regain functionality without a massive overhaul.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

"We can't protect THE GAYS! Dogs and cats will marry! People will riot in the streets!"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tried to find a clean clip of "Who loves you and who do you love" but you'll have to settle for this instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmJmRwDGk60&t=16s

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

theflyingorc posted:

90% of people who strongly support Trump...trust him????? What a huge surprise!?!?!?!?

90% of a group of people will trust what a famously awful con man says over their own family by a huge margin should worry you. That's a cult that will do almost anything.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ershalim posted:

Oh. Well that's good news, then. Here's an apology bunny tax. https://twitter.com/LilBreezyVert1/status/1181035142875435010

Don't put rabbits in water they can easily go into shock and die

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

They are under the DOJ. But this got me curious as to which law enforcement officers do NOT report to the DOJ so I did some digging. They are:

Very excited for NASA and Amtrak to team up and arrest the president's lackeys.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
No inspector general reports to the DOJ except DOJ-IG, fyi

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

theflyingorc posted:

I think it's more the other two numbers that you should worry about. These people are in a cult and nothing short of literally deprogramming like you do with people in a cult - and this is millions of people remember - is going to bring them back.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

37% of Strong Trump Supporters are no longer invited to family functions.

I 'love' how much of the anti-Trans argument is based on the whole "I declare I am a woman for the next ten minutes" absolute idiocy. And I really 'love' how it has been successfully used to justify horrible poo poo.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Riptor posted:

why are so many people writing it this way all of a sudden

because its cool.(also maybe they're russian)

(also also imo we should us SI prefixes because giga dollars sounds hella cool)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Super-Id posted:

Very excited for NASA and Amtrak to team up and arrest the president's lackeys.

All I'm hearing is we need some sort of Space Prison Train and I can't argue with it :v:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1181614792676663296

https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1181615617713020928

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/newley/status/1181609880798384128?s=20

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Oracle posted:

You didn't ask me nothin' but I'll answer you anyway.:colbert: They are 'in negotiations' with the State Dept last we heard. They're currently three days late not responding to the subpoena. Outlook not so good.

:master:

Also thanks

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

PhazonLink posted:

(also also imo we should us SI prefixes because giga dollars sounds hella cool)

this i agree with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

'massive social upheaval' was also used to argue against the first sex discrimination act. Ruth Bader Ginsburg must be risking a coronary to not reach over and slap Gorsuch in the back of his smug empty head.