Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just had a thought:

Can you make a True Friend also a Touchstone?
Considering they are effectively invincible, it seems like cheating.

I'll probably do it but make the breaking point easier. Like if they get kidnapped, I'd risk a break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Almost certainly. Deviant explicitly has a merit that makes one of your Touchstones unkillable without your consent, Living Progenitor.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

The three dot version of Living Progenitor is just True Friend applied to a Progenitor.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I believe the official spelling is Dagone.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

Nope, it's Dagon no E at the end

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_One

Wikipedia posted:

The beings first appeared in Lovecraft's novella The Shadow Over Innsmouth (1931), but were already hinted at in the early short story "Dagon".

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

I was, uh, making a Caine joke.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The name is stolen from a Middle Eastern deity. Of crops, as it happens, not fish. The confusion results from the fact that his name sounds kind of like the word for fish in a related language, and he's sometimes depicted alongside some dudes who were part-fish.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mors Rattus posted:

The name is stolen from a Middle Eastern deity. Of crops, as it happens, not fish. The confusion results from the fact that his name sounds kind of like the word for fish in a related language, and he's sometimes depicted alongside some dudes who were part-fish.

I was mostly shitposting re: Dagon, I would never use actual Lovecraft entities for anything.

However, that's hilarious and now I'm tempted to work it in somehow.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

I was, uh, making a Caine joke.

Well now I feel dumb :(

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How's about Azhi Dahaka?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

How's about Azhi Dahaka?

I like that when a hero struck Azhi Dahaka with a mace, his blood came to life as all manner of vermin (which fits nicely with Kraken giving rise to all manner of sea life upon their death) but I also don't want to privilege any one particular mythology as more central than the others.

He'd make a good Mer villain, though.

quote:

Ahriman now took another guise, and presented himself to Zahhāk as a marvellous cook. After he had presented Zahhāk with many days of sumptuous feasts (introducing meat to the formerly vegetarian human cuisine), Zahhāk was willing to give Ahriman whatever he wanted. Ahriman merely asked to kiss Zahhāk on his two shoulders. Zahhāk permitted this; but when Ahriman had touched his lips to Zahhāk's shoulders, he immediately vanished. At once, two black snakes grew out of Zahhāk's shoulders. They could not be surgically removed, for as soon as one snake-head had been cut off, another took its place.

Ahriman now appeared to Zahhāk in the form of a skilled physician. He counselled Zahhāk that the only remedy was to let the snakes remain on his shoulders, and sate their hunger by supplying them with human brains for food every day otherwise the snakes will feed on his own.

He's a tyrant who consumes his own subjects, and who aspires to replace the previous ruler of all creation (who was righteous at first but lost the right to rule through arrogance).

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You can always go with the multiple choice origin theory. The East Coast shoal thinks it’s Dahaka, but how much of that is because of some subsumed Mer that believed it so strongly that everyone else started believing it too?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Pope Guilty posted:

You're thinking of Mister Gone. Common mistake.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Slimnoid posted:

You're thinking of Mister Gone. Common mistake.

What can I say? They make good sheets.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Looks like Paradox is getting back into the classic World of Darkness tactic of telling people how they can't profit off of their IP after taking a year off after the international incident and losing the Gangrel name:

https://www.white-wolf.com/dark-pack

Pretty sure streams have been accepted as significantly altered works that you can make money off of for a while now but I guess putting out a decal for the Brand Supporters to use in their thumbnails is a minor benefit.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

joylessdivision posted:

Father Nogad hangs out with a Mr. Alucard on the weekends.
Doctor Acula, surely.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Would Grindylow be classified as a Mer sub-group (maybe the squid-mer?) or are they more in the realm of antagonist?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Gerund posted:

Looks like Paradox is getting back into the classic World of Darkness tactic of telling people how they can't profit off of their IP after taking a year off after the international incident and losing the Gangrel name:

Pretty sure streams have been accepted as significantly altered works that you can make money off of for a while now but I guess putting out a decal for the Brand Supporters to use in their thumbnails is a minor benefit.
Seems like a good excuse for them to issue unenforceable but sufficiently chilling C&Ds to anyone trying to monetize videos critical of their work on YouTube, including discussions of the tabletop games and, say, any upcoming long-awaited PC games married to a new and controversial edition of the game.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nessus posted:

Doctor Acula, surely.

Have you been following the Goosebumps LP? Just asking because one of the books had a moment that inspired someone to make that exact same joke.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Omnicrom posted:

Have you been following the Goosebumps LP? Just asking because one of the books had a moment that inspired someone to make that exact same joke.

That was also a recurring joke on Scrubs.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I'm still chuffed over that really fun "Anime Magical Girls but using Demon exploits" idea someone posted last thread. I'm tempted to invite my friends over on a weekend and do a full run-through of something like that. Like, start off with them as mortals encountering something freaky, they have a few brief adventures doing low-level crimefighting stuff, an Angel shows up and proceeds to turn them into lawn chairs as the demonic nature of their patron is revealed.

What makes this so interesting is my regular players know nothing about Demon, and I wouldn't explain any of this ahead of time.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nessus posted:

Doctor Acula, surely.

I almost went with that first.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

pseudosavior posted:

Would Grindylow be classified as a Mer sub-group (maybe the squid-mer?) or are they more in the realm of antagonist?

If it's a mythical sea creature that has human intelligence and is in some way liminal between humanity and the sea, it's appropriate for a PC in this game. I've discarded a few things that are either basically just magical animals and a few others that are just giant sea monsters, but nah, that'd be a perfectly viable PC concept.

My categorization scheme so far is something like this, although it's still very rough and I've got half a mind to skip the specific animal associations and emphasize a broader theme and aesthetic for each instead:

Fish Merrow: Inheritors of Kraken's senses. They tend to be artists, performers, and collectors of beautiful things. They're drawn to humanity because we're an endless source of novelty, but also because they crave an audience. Drawn to the sea (and thus most at risk of dissolution) when they feel inadequate or rejected.

Mainly inspired by The Little Mermaid, but also sirens, rusalka, and various other local European myths about water spirits that lure people to their death.

Squid Merrow: Inheritors of Kraken's memories. They tend to be teachers, scholars, and craftsmen. They're drawn to humanity because they appreciate our curiosity, but prone to being pushy and didactic -- they'll teach you or try to correct you whether you ask for it or not. Drawn to the sea when they feel cynical or disappointed.

Inspired by Lovecraft, of course, but mostly in reaction against him. I'm also intrigued by the Hawai'ian squid or octopus god Kanaloa, who in addition to the animal association is sometimes described as a teacher, but I'm hesitant to go all-in on this because there are two different layers of colonial bastardization of the myth -- one by Christian missionaries (who associated him with the devil, possibly inserting/encouraging his evolution into an evil god of the underworld) and then a second by some new age charlatan.

Amphibian Merrow: Inheritors of Kraken's emotions. They tend to be champions, advocates, and enforcers. Drawn to humanity because they find themselves agreeing with a cause, for better or worse. Drawn to the sea when they feel guilty or ashamed.

Mainly inspired by the Gillman, and also some Mesoamerican influences -- someone mentioned La Llorona earlier, which prompted the idea about associating them with passion and guilt, and the idea that the Aztec heaven of Tlalocan was reserved to both those who die of drowning, flooding, or storms, but also for those who suffer from physical deformities.

Serpent Merrow: Inheritors of Kraken's will. They tend to be priests, politicians, and philanthropists. Drawn to humanity because they respect our accomplishments, but expect the same deference in return. Drawn to the sea when they feel bitter or jealous.

Mainly inspired by Ryujin, although I'm sort of playing with the myth a bit -- Ryujin famously resolves a dispute between two brothers as to which should defer to the other, favoring the brother who came down into the sea and married his daughter over the other, elder brother. (It also maps really easily to a power set, since the tide jewels are accorded both the ability to control the wind and tides, and also in some variations of the myth to control minds and compel obedience.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 8, 2019

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

And finally, I sort of want to fit crustaceans in somehow, but as far as I can tell nobody tells melancholy, tragic stories about crabs or lobsters. :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

A sea serpent or dragon splat based on the legend of the tide jewels seems appealing, but I'm not sure what the "subtle" pairing to go with "pearls" and "control of the wind and tides" would be.

And finally, I sort of want to fit crustaceans in somehow, but as far as I can tell nobody tells melancholy, tragic stories about crabs or lobsters. :v:

Try pulling from Eastern mythology for Dragons
China:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_King
The most prominent is Ao Guang who appears in the Journey to the West and is the patron of the East China Sea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ao_Guang

Japan has Ryugu Palace from the fable of Urashima Taro and is the palace of Ryujin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ry%C5%ABg%C5%AB-j%C5%8D

As far as myths about crustaceans, how about The Crab and the Monkey

quote:

While out walking, a crab finds a rice ball. A sly monkey persuades the crab to trade the rice ball for a persimmon seed. The crab is at first upset, but when she plants and tends the seed a tree grows that supplies abundant fruit. The monkey agrees to climb the tree to pick the fruit for the crab, but gorges himself on the fruit rather than sharing it with the crab. When the crab protests, the monkey hurls hard, unripe fruit at her. The shock of being attacked causes the crab to end up giving birth just before she dies.

The crab's offspring seek revenge on the monkey. With the help of several allies — a chestnut, a cow dung, a bee, and an usu (large heavy mortar) — they go to the monkey's house. The chestnut hides himself on the monkey's hearth, the bee in the water pail, the cow dung on the floor, and the usu on the roof. When the monkey returns home, he tries to warm himself on the hearth, but the chestnut strikes the monkey so that he burns himself. When the monkey tries to cool himself from the burn at the water bucket, the bee stings him. He tries to run out of the house, but the cow dung makes him slip and the usu falls down from the roof, killing the monkey by crushing his heart, causing him to bleed out and die.

There's also the Heikegami

Or the Myth of Carcinus the crab (the origin of the constellation of Cancer)
https://www.theoi.com/Ther/Karkinos.html

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Witch House is the most VtM music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsaG8_aFVA0

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

There's a song that I stumbled upon ages ago and while I don't remember the name of the band or the song title, it was this dancy goth club-esque tune whose only lyrics were BLOOD MYSTERY, MYSTERIOUS BLOOD and had the most hilariously cheap music video.

That's easily the most V:TM track out there and I hope by just even mentioning it that someone else can find that drat thing because I sure can't.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
There’s an interesting notion in the fairly terrible Predator and Prey series. Michigan’s young kindred float between small cities that can’t really support s vampiric population to avoid overpredation. If we made this a more universal model, it could be quite interest8ng in its ramifications demographically.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Loomer posted:

There’s an interesting notion in the fairly terrible Predator and Prey series. Michigan’s young kindred float between small cities that can’t really support s vampiric population to avoid overpredation. If we made this a more universal model, it could be quite interest8ng in its ramifications demographically.

So they get like a sunproofed RV and caravan from town to town? That'd be a hell of a chronicle.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Loomer posted:

In a pinch, I would think you could napkin-math stuff by considering a metro area (whether formal metro area or CSA, or just 'these towns near enough that you could commute from one to the next if you had to'-level) for area feeding stability/population support.

It might even be a fun and culturally relevant exercise in 2019 to look at what's effectively a commute for the modern vampire, especially in some of the Midwest and Rust Belt where population density is shrinking as industry leaves.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Gyrotica posted:

So they get like a sunproofed RV and caravan from town to town? That'd be a hell of a chronicle.

'Why are there so many hearses around these days?'

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Loomer posted:

This idea comes up again in Requiem 1e's Nomads book. Not exactly Michigan, but vampires that travel around. There are plenty of small towns in Michigan that are 30-45 minutes apart that you'd only need a way to reliably hide in the daytime. Most of the Midwest could be done this way and it would really be more like ranching than herding.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

In a pinch, I would think you could napkin-math stuff by considering a metro area (whether formal metro area or CSA, or just 'these towns near enough that you could commute from one to the next if you had to'-level) for area feeding stability/population support.

It might even be a fun and culturally relevant exercise in 2019 to look at what's effectively a commute for the modern vampire, especially in some of the Midwest and Rust Belt where population density is shrinking as industry leaves.

The first part is something I’ve been looking at for the population ratios - I look at both distinct city pops and broader metro/csa, then move up into looking at state and national levels. The second is reasonably doable, too. Just have to figure out local maximum travel range (between logistical problems, claimed territories, and Werewolf attacks) and then an average time:vitae ratio for hunting. The disturbing part that follows is that these nomadic hunters are likely heavier feeders than others, due to both increased risk of injury/need to fight (and subsequent need to burn blood to learn new disciplines and practice them in order to survive) and unreliability of successful feeding on any given night.

In Michigan’s case every territory of worth is assigned already so a lot of this feeding has to be threaded through isolated pockets of shitburgs and suburbs and bumfuck towns, which is presumably a common issue. Urban/suburban travel is preferable due to the risk of werewolf attack, cannibal gang attack (apparently cannibal highway bandits are a real problem in the oWoD), car trouble in the middle of nowhere, etc, which limits maximum speed of transit by car to maybe a third (counting stopping at lights, traffic, etc - admittedly less of a problem at night so maybe half) of optimum straightshot Highway travel.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Did oWoD ever set anything especially important in Detroit, actually? It seems like a city that would be interesting for supernatural shenanigans.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Isn't a cannibal gang attacking a vampire caravan more of a food delivery?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Night10194 posted:

Did oWoD ever set anything especially important in Detroit, actually? It seems like a city that would be interesting for supernatural shenanigans.

A few, but mostly they just wrote it off as Sabbat territory. The best thing they ever did was in V20, where they made it the home of Sapa Inca - a drug cartel that was used as a pawn by anarchs to weaken the Sabbat, but got out of hand and scoured the entire city clean and was, at last mention, actively reaching out to the rest of the criminal underworld across the country to join them in a cocaine-fuelled war against the things that go bump in the night.

Mors Rattus posted:

Isn't a cannibal gang attacking a vampire caravan more of a food delivery?

A caravan, yes. But most of these fledglings are probably solo or duo acts - the blood economic incentives that let them survive are built on managing prey scarcity and exploiting marginal feeding grounds (most of their hunting grounds are probably sub-50k inhabitants) so larger groups are unlikely to work well together as it loses the ability to space out individual feeding impacts and makes for a bigger spike in risk of sighting/overfeeding/etc than individual or pair groups rotating through a few feeding pockets do. This being the case and a half dozen men with shotguns, chainsaws, and Molotov’s being a pretty substantial threat to most of the inhabitants of this proposed jackal-vampire tier, it’s less of a ‘food that comes to us’ thing and more of a real threat, even if only in terms of leaving the jackal-vamps stranded with a disabled vehicle as the sun is coming up.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 8, 2019

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Tuxedo Catfish your mer idea is loving badass and i appreciate you keeping us in the loop. You've inspired me to share a bit about the game I'm working on, the one where internet streaming celebrities are all pseudo-demagogues inspiring stochastic terrorism. Anyway the vague idea here is that supernatural PCs encounter a pack of these hunting while livestreaming to the internet. They're designed to be mortal antagonists faced in a group, in such a situation as to make fighting back nearly impossible.
As PCs the play mechanics focus on protecting your emotional connection to the rest of humanity, unlearning the psychological Levers that radicalized you in the first place, and rejoining mainstream society. There aren't supernatural powers for that, because Ire wants to propagate itself. Icons are just famous mortals who are trying to use their public following to make money. I think that's all the background you need to follow, but here's a bit on the supernatural abilities Ire grants:

Pursuits (Offense Mechanism?): Ire-based powers used in hunts. Characters start with 1 and gain a 2nd when their Ire surpasses the higher of their Composure/Resolve. Can train in a 3rd if instructed. These powers arise naturally from stressful situations related to the subject’s Levers, often manifesting without conscious thought or effort.
Pursuits can be actively unlearned, but high Ire situations may cause other Pursuits to manifest.
These powers are used in concert with skill/ability tests, generally. Social powers should work on communicating and normalizing Ire, int powers focus on target acquisition, physical are glass cannon style attacks. Avoid a 1=1 ire/damage situation, attack powers should be dirty and nasty.

Social:
Badger: Used during a conversation, spend ire to add dice to your pool. This acts as an Attack, where the subject must roll Wits + Resolve to avoid accruing wound penalties as though they had taken damage. When a character accrues an incapacitory number of wound penalties, they face a Breaking Point.
Teenage Riot: Drives crowd (size depends on spent Ire) into violent frenzy. Targets can be suggested but generally uncontrollable. Doesn’t award direct Ire points, but makes future recruitment easier.
Inspire Outrage: Single target, inflicts temporary Ire. Expires at the end of the scene, but target is more likely to naturally become Irate in the future.
Babble: Throw your conversation partner off your trail. Spend an Ire, subject rolls Composure + Resolve to follow the conversation.
Inspire Paranoia: Inflict a random, short term Lever

Physical: Ire should never be used directly for soak, these character are glass cannons.
Rage Strength: non-combat lifting & hauling. Spend an Ire for bonus STR dice.
Smite: Spend ire to attack again after dealing damage.
Suckerpunch: Pre-empt any action with an unarmed attack.
Bloodhound: Stalk target, 1 ire/hour.
Parkour: Spend Ire for bonus dice on Athletics and Survival checks related to running or parkour. PARKOUR!
Torture: naaaahhhh
Wrasslin’: Spend Ire to ignore difficulties of grappling multiple opponents, up to your Size rating (average 5.)
Berserker Spleen: Increases max Ire storage by Stamina rating. If any character has more than 10 Ire, they become unhinged, a ranting maniac who will not stop shouting until he feels the world has heard him. They do not suffer wound penalties until their Ire falls below 10.
Right in the Kidneys: Spend ire to reduce the penalty for a called shot (1=1, 2=3, 3=5 ire)

Intelligence:
Cyberstalk: reveals hidden/lost information, data not usually accessible on the WWW, including deleted blog posts, privately transmitted documents, in extreme instances cooperative groups were able to access text files stored on computers with no internet access.
Surveil: Spend Ire to access cameras. Ire cost increases with distance to the camera, and the tech at hand. Accessing a bank’s ATM camera with a smart phone is average difficulty, hijacking a prison’s panopticon three miles out with a batteryless Game Boy is possible, but the ire required is more than most humans can physically contain.
Gangstalk: create the sensation of being hunted or watched. Can coordinate with multiple Irate to increase the duration and severity of this sensation.
Discern: reveals a characters Justifications, Levers. Through conversation can reveal Justifications easily. When used on a supernatural, it reveals that the subject is unusual but not what or how.
Brigade: Attack a subject’s public perception by defaming them online, both directly and indirectly. Can coordinate with multiple Irate. More Ire spent, the wider reaching and longer lasting the attack becomes. Successes inflict temporary levels of Infamy, with corresponding social ramifications. Can also directly target Influence, Allies, and Contacts.
Flay: Increase severity of Levers, attack Justifications.

Meta:
Flop: As a full round action, focus on your wounds. Gain Ire equal to your wound penalties, all Irate nearby gain 1 Ire. Others must be able to see and hear your distress. While useful, this is often seen as an admission of weakness by other Irate.
You’re Not My Supervisor/You’re Not The Boss Of Me/ gently caress You Won’t Do What You Tell Me: Any attempt to supernaturally compel behavior results in #ire bashing damage.

Here's what these abilities are used for:
Cult-Clique activities:
- Sponsored Stream: This is the Irate at their apex, driven to a fury, roaming with their cameras, trying to fight their way famous. What makes a Sponsored Stream different from a usual stream is the blessing, if not the outright presence, of the Icon. Their rallying cry blesses the Stream with an abundance of Ire to be worked out on the first valid subject they see. The power of the Icon warps the images on the screen, any creature of the night is revealed to be an atrocious monster deserving destruction, but the software is imperfect. The prejudices of the Icon will occasionally present harmless mortals as threats in need of immediate destruction, and it is impossible for the Irate to discern just from sight alone.
For all their talk, most Sponsored Streams culminate in hurled words and tossed water bottles. The Irate fear pain as much as any mortal, and the possibility of attacking an innocent victim stay most of their hands in the likely event of a fight, relying on sheer numbers to limit their individual harm.
It is enough to be seen by the Icon as “doing something” even if all that is is being a public nuisance. But if their pride is challenged, they will fight as dirty as they possibly can, with as many people as they can muster.
To a vampire, or any other creature of the night, a pack of streaming Irate are just as dangerous as a trained Hunter pack, if only for the record their masquerade breach would leave. The Irate may claim not be sincere in the threat they pose, but their danger is real, and it will amplify if left unchequed.
At the beginning of the stream, the Icon rolls Manipulation + Expression, dividing the number of successes over the length of the broadcast. Each hour, all listening Cult members receive that many Ire as a free action. As a Willpower action, the Icon can inspire Ire in one specific target, again by rolling Manipulation + Expression.
This can be performed as many times as the Icon has dots in Expression, per stream.
Some Icons choose to call these streams “Purges.”
- Doxxing: Being creatures of the internet, the Irate excel at discovering not just personal information, but extremely personal information. Some Pursuits allow for the access of deleted, lost, or offline files, and these incriminating details are collected and shared the moment someone crosses the clique. Many seek to impress their Icon by being the first to Dox critics of the Icon, or silence opposition in their own numbers by shaming upstarts.
To access information that would otherwise be impossible or inaccessible, such as a file stored on a disconnected server, the group requires one Irate with the Dox Pursuit per level of impossibility. For example, accessing a file on a unpowered storage drive (1) in a basement with no Internet connection (2) requires two Irate, both with the Dox Pursuit, to be actively involved in the effort.
Participants can fabricate evidence, either through the skills Computer or Forgery.
- Pool Party: A pool party is an excuse for radicals to lure the unwitting into a relaxed setting for the purposes of indoctrination. Pioneered by extremist white national websites, pool parties served as a proto-rabbit hole before self-radicalization became the norm.
Usually, pool parties draw on the new membership of affiliated interest groups who may not be aware of the sinister intention behind the gathering. The aforementioned white nationalists would often recruit from more mainstream conservative circles, and still today those provide a bounty of new Irate.
At these parties, converting new followers to the Icon becomes the main priority. Their videos will be playing in the background, books lent out with enthusiasm, and all conversation eventually steers back to the Icon, and the solutions they would propose.
Pool parties are most frequent in the run-up to real world Icon appearances, which serve as opportunities for followers to mass indoctrinate their gullible real-world friends and family. The Icons often serve to help drum up attendance for these parties, as they are a rich source of Grift.
- Debate: Debating the Irate is less an exercise in the exchange of ideas and more a survival gauntlet of personal attacks and logical fallacies. Ideologies are used like weapons, with the goal being to shut down the opponent by destroying their character. Icons are careful to choose only the loudest, most reactionary examples of the groups they despise to present the most slanted view on the subject possible, reinforcing the prejudice of his viewership.
The Icon knows the game, make the audience feel powerful by beating the stuffing out of the straw man. Tell them this stranger is the root of all their suffering, and tear it up. Feed their injured pride a sacrifice and watch them make you a king.
- Deplatform: A coordinated bombardment of automated flag & complaint systems on social media, resulting in the suspension or outright deletion of a targeted account. Often used in intra-Icon conflict, where competing assholes attempt to neutralize each other’s Grift and Reach.
- Pranks: Generally a form of performative assault, pranks are usually visited upon newer, lower-ranked clique members as a form of hazing and expression of privilege. Surprise assault is a common theme (“Watch me slap my roommate while he’s in the shower!”) given it’s ease an accessibility. Destroying property just to catch the victims dismayed reaction is another favorite, along with disturbing the contents of the victim’s room (“We wrapped our roommate’s stuff in TINFOIL and made him LIVE IN IT! EPIC PRANK TUBE!”).
Pranks are an easy way for Irate to establish Reach, especially for those less inclined to political debate.
- Broadcast: Separate from a Debate only by the number of participants, a Broadcast is a group conversation of Icons and notable Irate. Jokes, barbs, and witticisms are the order of the day, while the subject can meander from pop culture to sports arguments without much in the way of structure.
Broadcasts are a way for Icons to speak directly to their followers, as well as providing another avenue to pitch their Hustles. Many choose to incorporate elements of social media, allowing their followers to petition them directly for advice and insight.
- Rant: A way to blow off ire and boost group solidarity, a Rant is a chance to work off pent up aggression. Spend ire for a chance to roll to regain willpower, Each participant takes a Bashing damage at the end. If a character would take sufficient Bashing to incapacitate them, each additional point amplifies or becomes a new Lever.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 8, 2019

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Gerund posted:

There's two types of IP at work here, copyright and trademarks. For the purpose of copyright, you're correct that streams are likely fine unless you're flat-out reciting substantial sections of the rulebook into your video. With trademarks, on the other hand, using someone's trademark in the course of business without permission (ie, advertising your stream, which you monetise, as a Dungeons & Dragons stream as opposed to a fantasy roleplaying stream) is trademark infringement. (Acknowledging that the game you are playing is D&D in the course of the stream would probably be fine, using the D&D logo and name specifically to advertise your stream would likely be infringement). On the face of it, it looks like the Dark Pack is a trademark licence.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Warthur posted:

There's two types of IP at work here, copyright and trademarks. For the purpose of copyright, you're correct that streams are likely fine unless you're flat-out reciting substantial sections of the rulebook into your video. With trademarks, on the other hand, using someone's trademark in the course of business without permission (ie, advertising your stream, which you monetise, as a Dungeons & Dragons stream as opposed to a fantasy roleplaying stream) is trademark infringement. (Acknowledging that the game you are playing is D&D in the course of the stream would probably be fine, using the D&D logo and name specifically to advertise your stream would likely be infringement). On the face of it, it looks like the Dark Pack is a trademark licence.

Not to mention that reads like it did ten years ago when I did more chat games and MUSHes and stuff. Not really anything new here. Basically, just attribute where it's due.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
I can't get rid of this idea of a Shoal of Deep Thing-associated Mer who hijack a submarine for reasons unknown.