Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
cagliostro is in season 1’s halloween ova, she does her thing a bit.

Everything Burrito posted:

how horny/harem-y is granblue

most of this convo brings up the gacha and game; if you’re looking at the show it’s not harem at all and pretty tame on the thirst. It’s not overt sexual appeal but you might think the old dad with an eyepatch whose six pack shows through his leather armor is hot, and a lot of people have Feelings about the disaster lesbian antagonist whos showing up in season 2

side chars who are part of granblues race of cow people where all the girls have horns and huge boobs show up here and there, but it doesn’t suddenly become horny camera angles time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i don't care much for granblue but i'm still impatiently tapping my foot for more info on that action rpg based on it

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Space Flower posted:

you might think the old dad with an eyepatch whose six pack shows through his leather armor is hot

ok adding the show to my list

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

cave emperor posted:

Finally finished season 2 of Danmachi, and guess what folks, it was bad.

For one, they barely even go into the titular dungeon, save for a five-minute scene in the middle of the season. Most of the season focuses on divine politics and power plays, which is somehow far less interesting than the generic adventuring fare of the first season. The second season is also cut into three distinct and completely unrelated arcs, with the last one being a tacked-on two-episode arc that felt more like a drawn-out OVA than any sort of season finale. The first arc is a complete mess, and the second arc is pretty gross, even for a terminally horny harem anime.

What I'm saying is, I think I remembered season 1 more fondly than I should have, but season 2 is still objectively garbage.

DanMachi S1 is legitimately good. Bell's a good MC. He has a good arc with cool fights. The supporting characters, even Hestia who is an Otaku pandering BINGO board, are fun and they do a good job complementing Bell. It's a technically well-executed show from the animation to the voice acting. It's not breaking any new ground in shounen fantasy, but it's good for what it is.

DanMachi S2 felt like trash from the jump, being a boring rehash when it wasn't just leaning into the creep. It's the disappointment of the year for me because I liked the first run so much.

In current events:

Prodigies, Bookworm, Cautious Hero, Chuunibois, Null & Peta, and ORESUKI have the best chance of making the whole season for me.

ORESUKI was a surprise, handling the setup with even Joro being likable by the end. They gave Pansy just the right amount of edge too.

HIDIVE got ahold of a 7 year old show called Joshiraku, and damnit, go watch Joshiraku!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Babylon is going to be either AOTS or an incoherent stupid mess. The Kado connection is making me nervious on that front.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Everything Burrito posted:

ok adding the show to my list

fujiwara keiji was on medical leave when they recorded for s1 and he shows up in the last few eps with his temp. voice

he’ll be in s2 for the full ride tho. good char, he has emotional stakes coming up because his daughter is an important char and they have a shaky relationship

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

vira rules but most of her better material isnt really in the early story

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Im really shocked I dont hear more people talking about Iruma-kun on reddit and youtube and stuff. I figured Undertale and Harry Potter Combines would be extremely popular but cautious hero seems to have sucked up all the air in the room

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Meme Emulator posted:

Im really shocked I dont hear more people talking about Iruma-kun on reddit and youtube and stuff. I figured Undertale and Harry Potter Combines would be extremely popular but cautious hero seems to have sucked up all the air in the room
it's only the first week of the fall season, and first impressions are just that & not the be all, end all

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

Babylon is going to be either AOTS or an incoherent stupid mess. The Kado connection is making me nervious on that front.

once the dust settled on KADO there was actually a group of people who enjoyed the show having been primed for its brand of bullshit. being able to go into Babylon with a similar sort of priming has me not as invested compared to KADO, but also i feel like Babylon's initial episodes did enough of a job at kind of showing its camp elements even as the show kept a serious tone.

for me the weirder this one gets, the better

Meme Emulator posted:

i liked it quite a lot and won't be watching stuff like Cautious Hero/Kemono Michi to chase the Konosuba dragon or w/e. Iruma seems like some quality shonen comedy, and i'm always a fan of the sort of mistaken identity style it and other shows like Handa-kun engage in. also setting up Iruma/Alice as a ship in ep1 is ftw, on top of having the cute little post-ED shorts in a wildly different style.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Coaaab posted:

it's only the first week of the fall season, and first impressions are just that & not the be all, end all

Oh I know, I was just sorta suprised to see Iruma had like 4 people doing reaction videos and Cautious Hero had about a zillion. That might not be the best metric to measure enthusiasm by, lol, but its what im stickin with

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Meme Emulator posted:

Oh I know, I was just sorta suprised to see Iruma had like 4 people doing reaction videos and Cautious Hero had about a zillion. That might not be the best metric to measure enthusiasm by, lol, but its what im stickin with
it might speak to a minor divide between anime fanbases and manga fanbases in the english-speaking world; i think anime/LN fans are more entrenched with each other than anime/manga fans, as far as what i see on the internet

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

irume reminded me more of shonen comedies like psi saiki, which never are that huge in the west afaik

copy
Jul 26, 2007

I'm way stoked for Iruma and Cautious Hero based on their respective mangas. So far Iruma seems pretty similar to the comic, and watching his grandpa dote on that precious jellybean is kind of delightful. Cautious Hero's anime adaptation really sticks out to me because it's loving transformational compared to the manga. It's way funnier in motion and the goddess VA is just nailing it. I laughed out loud at "Sexy" with the little doll having a little doll nosebleed in sync with her.

Also, do y'all no if Netflix is doing it's completely stupid and unforgiveable Netflix thing where it waits the whole dang season before it releases an anime stateside? I'm kind of looking forward to Beastars but I'm worried that, like every other anime I've tried to watch on Netflix, I'll just forget about it by the time it's out.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

copy posted:

Also, do y'all no if Netflix is doing it's completely stupid and unforgiveable Netflix thing where it waits the whole dang season-

Yes. The answer is always yes unless they had a hand in producing it, in which case they may just dump the whole thing at once early on in the season (Devilman Crybaby, Agrettsuko)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Netflix has not changed their mo in however many years so yeah, Beastars isn't coming out with subs unless someone else provides them by methods outside of Netflix

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

The latest Katalina chapter in the main story is the best Katalina/Vira stuff and it'll probably never be animated

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

True but it is among the best material from the early story.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I watched the first episode of Iruma, and it seems like it will be cute, but there is just not much else to really say about it as yet.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Julias posted:

Yes. The answer is always yes unless they had a hand in producing it, in which case they may just dump the whole thing at once early on in the season (Devilman Crybaby, Agrettsuko)

Did they have a hand in Kengan Ashura? I'm not seeing anything online that they did, but I think that had a same date worldwide release.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I just want the OAV Djeeta episode to have every SSR version of Vira in the episode at once

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did they have a hand in Kengan Ashura? I'm not seeing anything online that they did, but I think that had a same date worldwide release.

It's a "Netflix Original" anime, whatever that entails, and it's one of the few anime discussed in the awful Netflix produced infomercial "documentary" Enter the Anime, which mostly covered stuff that Netflix helped produce and exclusively license. Neon Genesis Evangelion also got cold dropped with the entire new dub all at once too, and they had a role in the new dub and licensing rights.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's getting an anime

https://twitter.com/pkjd8I8/status/1181389752274051073?s=20

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

cave emperor posted:

Finally finished season 2 of Danmachi, and guess what folks, it was bad.

For one, they barely even go into the titular dungeon, save for a five-minute scene in the middle of the season. Most of the season focuses on divine politics and power plays, which is somehow far less interesting than the generic adventuring fare of the first season. The second season is also cut into three distinct and completely unrelated arcs, with the last one being a tacked-on two-episode arc that felt more like a drawn-out OVA than any sort of season finale. The first arc is a complete mess, and the second arc is pretty gross, even for a terminally horny harem anime.

What I'm saying is, I think I remembered season 1 more fondly than I should have, but season 2 is still objectively garbage.

I enjoyed S2? Ill agree them not going into the dungeon beyond a single episode was pretty disappointing, but there were still plenty of fun fight scenes and comedy bits and I feel pretty invested in the characters.

Then again it sounds like I enjoyed what the first season was selling a lot more than you did so maybe this show just isn't for you. And I came into the show ready to drop it like a hot potato.

On the Granblue talk, Im 10 episodes into S1 and it hasn't been horny at all. Kid-friendly, even. Not sure what the mobage or other content are like but I don't think you have to worry about that for the show.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 8, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

So I was hoping a good adaptation would take why I liked about Didn't I say make my abilities average and maybe gloss over some of the rougher edges. Cause I know while I like the series it falls onto the guilty pleasure side of things for me...

And welp the first episode is all anime original and pretty awful. Felt like a third rate Slayers clone but in Isekai clothes it also made the dumb decision of turning the Nano's which in the LN were small robots into a magical girls mascot

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

nice. already like this voice acting

also africa salaryman is good

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

I enjoyed S2? Ill agree them not going into the dungeon beyond a single episode was pretty disappointing, but there were still plenty of fun fight scenes and comedy bits and I feel pretty invested in the characters.

Then again it sounds like I enjoyed what the first season was selling a lot more than you did so maybe this show just isn't for you. And I came into the show ready to drop it like a hot potato.

You’re not alone! My wife and I enjoyed S2 danmachi as well. It had its faults but so did the first season.

This season library girl looks promising in addition to what other people mentioned.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:siren: DOROHEDORO IS AIRING NEXT GODAMN SEASON :siren:

Main cast and visuals later this week. Fingers loving crossed. :catdrugs:

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Average Isekai was okay. It's definitely nothing I haven't seen before, but it had some fun animation, and the four main characters seem good. The first episode seemed to cover most of the dumb isekai premise, so now it can hopefully go on to be a pleasant if unremarkable fantasy comedy.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

this wave of announcements can only mean one of his hardcore guro anime will get one soon as well, 90s anime is back baby

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Grouchio posted:

:siren: DOROHEDORO IS AIRING NEXT GODAMN SEASON :siren:

Main cast and visuals later this week. Fingers loving crossed. :catdrugs:

they're really holding out on the reveal that it's cg huh

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
PV for The Case Files of Jeweler Richard
https://twitter.com/jeweler_richard/status/1181494441711828992?s=20

a jeweler and a college student solve gem-related mysteries, looks like it will be pretty and bromancy

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I read the first volume of Average Abilities and was wondering how they were going to adapt the beginning without it feeling like a disjointed mess. Skipping all of it is one way to do it, I guess.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I'll give it another ep to get to the actual source material but it felt like a good MC stuck in a bad show

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Tales of Woe posted:

I'll give it another ep to get to the actual source material but it felt like a good MC stuck in a bad show

Yeah I just watched it and the MC's pretty endearing but none of the rest of it grabbed me.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I have hopes cause the rest of the party hasn’t been corrupted by Mile into becoming dorks yet, still thinking they’re in a serious story.

I’ll have a thread up soon-ish. Just haven’t started cause dying from illness

Allarion fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 8, 2019

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You could say the Average Isekai is neither the best nor the worst isekai this season. In fact, it's pretty close to the middle.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yeah don't get me wrong even if KADO was bad at the end I enjoyed the journey and execution. I'm still glad I watched it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Dessel posted:

Yeah don't get me wrong even if KADO was bad at the end I enjoyed the journey and execution. I'm still glad I watched it.

Same actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the next yuasa will be an adaptation of the classic 70s earthquake disaster novel 'japan sinks'