Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Well I can already see that this book bucks the trend; Floyd's our farmboy cousin, yet he's the computer whiz/nerd. I like this book already.

Out the midway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

The midway might have another mysteriously useful, nebulously defined collectible

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Apparently the "canon" path is that we escaped via the kiddie train during the first book, so let's see if exploring the rides will work a second time!

quote:

“Let’s head for the rides,” you decide. “I think it might be easier to escape from one of those than from the midway!”

You can feel Floyd trembling as he clings to you. He walks so close, you trip over his big feet. Patty takes the lead. As usual.

The people around you wear old-fashioned clothes. A nearby girl holds up her long skirts with gloved hands. A man with a handlebar mustache tips his straw hat as you pass.

They are Big Al’s prisoners– and assistants. Stuck in the clothing they wore the day the carnival came to their town.

“Attention! Attention!” a voice booms.

You recognize that voice. That’s Big Al, the horrible manager of this vile carnival.

You glance back at the midway. And gasp!

The Wheel of Fortune has stopped spinning. The rifle games have stopped popping. And all of the computer games are projecting something horrible on their screens – Big Al’s face!

And he’s staring straight at you!

“No use trying to get away.” His voice echoes out of every speaker in the carnival. “We are going to get you!”

quote:

You duck your head down. “Come on,” you whisper. “Just try to blend in.” You take a few steps – but the others aren’t following.

You turn back to Floyd. His eyes are wide, and his mouth hangs open.

“Snap out of it!” you whisper. “We’ve got to move fast if we’re going to keep Big Al from finding us!”

“Look!” Your cousin’s voice trembles as he nods toward the midway.

You glance in the direction he is staring. You freeze too. Now you know why Floyd was so freaked out.

Big Al has disappeared from the screens. Now every single monitor shows you, Patty, and Floyd.

The people in old-fashioned clothing begin to mutter and murmur around you. Some stare at you. Some point. Others step away, as if they don’t want to be anywhere near you, just in case...

Just in case what? you wonder. You shake your head.

Don’t even think about it, you tell yourself. Just get out of here – fast!

quote:

You gaze around, searching for a way to escape the glare of all those unfriendly eyes.

You spot the first of the rides – a kiddie choo-choo train. Hmmmmm. Wasn’t that train a way out of the carnival last time?

You race toward it. Yes! You glance at the letters on the front of the train. “Hop aboard,” you cry. “This is the Right Way Railroad. It’s how we escaped before! It leads out of here!”

You, Patty, and Floyd jump aboard. With a lurch, the train starts forward. “Only a few minutes,” you assure your friends, “and this carnival is history! There’s a tunnel up ahead.”

But something is weird. The train is moving too slowly. And the people stroll by in quick, jerky movements. It’s like watching a video on fast-forward.

Glancing at your watch, you notice the hands whizzing around.

Huh? How can time be speeding up?

You lean over and peer at the name painted on the side of the train. Oh, no! This isn’t the Right Way Railroad. It’s the Right Away Railroad.

“I get it,” you groan. Riding the train makes time move more quickly. And with a midnight deadline to escape – you don’t have any time to lose!

quote:

Big Al’s cruel laughter booms out of loudspeakers on both sides of the track. “Give up, kids,” he thunders. “You don’t have a chance! The rides close at midnight. If you haven’t found the one that sets you free, you’ll become our guests – forever.”

“Rats!” Floyd grumbles. “Why couldn’t we pick a ride where the time goes backwards?"

“Well, we didn’t,” you snap. “But we don’t have time to worry about that now. We need to get off this train – fast!”

You peer over the sides of the choo-choo. The train is now chugging along a bridge high above a lake of inky-black water.

Should you jump out here? It might save you some precious time.

Or should you wait until the train reaches dry land?

Make up your mind – time’s a-wasting!

If you jump now, turn to PAGE 67.

If you wait, turn to PAGE 131.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Let's stay and see if we end up in the future or shrivel and die. Definitely one of the two.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Was Kris Kross still a thing when this book came out? Eh, regardless, jump, jump!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I foresee no bad consequences if we jump.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Darthemed posted:

Was Kris Kross still a thing when this book came out? Eh, regardless, jump, jump!

No, Kris Kross' 15 minutes were in 1992 and this book came out in 1997. Still, both are incredibly 90s properties so I'm going to also say Jump, Jump!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KK14lsnUyE

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Omnicrom posted:

No, Kris Kross' 15 minutes were in 1992 and this book came out in 1997. Still, both are incredibly 90s properties so I'm going to also say Jump, Jump!

I'm gonna quote a different '92 rap song and say we should get out your seat and jump around!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwYN7mTi6HM

quote:

“Jump! Now!” you scream. You have less than an hour before midnight. And with the Right Away Railroad speeding up time, who knows what the clock will say once you get across the river!

Patty and Floyd leap from their seats. You follow them over the side.

SPLASH! You hit the black lake. Cold water goes up your nose. You burst to the surface sputtering for air. Which way to shore?

A bright searchlight stabs out of the darkness.

“What are you doing in the water?” a man demands from behind the light. “Don’t you know it’s dangerous?”

You tread water as you watch a small boat approach. You’re relieved that help has come so quickly. You, Patty, and Floyd clamber aboard.

“Wow, thanks for saving us,” you say, sighing with relief.

You begin to feel nervous again when you discover the man rowing the boat has webbed hands and feet.

quote:

“What are you doing in the water?” the man demands. “You know this is where we keep the squid for the Squid Wrestling Extravaganza!”

Maybe you got water in your ears. You couldn’t have heard him right. “Did you say squid wrestling?” you ask.

“That’s right. But you shouldn’t have tried to sneak in and practice,” the man scolds. “That’s cheating!”

“Wait a second!” you burst out. “We’re not squid wrestlers!”

“Sure you are,” the man insists. “Why else would you be in the tank?”

You don’t know how to answer that.

quote:

You feel the boat bump up against an underwater dock. “Here we are!” the man announces cheerfully.

You, Floyd, and Patty scramble out of the boat – and splash down in water up to your armpits!

“Hey! Couldn’t you take us closer to shore?” you ask.

“Oh, no! I might scratch the bottom of the boat. Besides, this is the best place for the next wrestling match!”

“Who’d be crazy enough to wrestle a squid?” Patty wonders.

“Why, you three!” replies the rapidly retreating man. “Which kind you want, small or jumbo?”

“Hey! Wait! Don’t leave us here!” Floyd begs.

“You web-footed goofball!” Patty hollers.

Your mouth hangs open as you stare after the rowboat, trying to figure out what to do.

If you want to try to convince the man you're not squid wrestlers, turn to PAGE 113.

If you give up and ask for a small-sized opponent, turn to PAGE 39.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Hell with it, let's wrestle a squid.
Looking forward to Stine rail-roading us into wrestling a jumbo if we somehow win.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Let's wrestle a small squid!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

We are in fact a kid wrestler, and a squid-wrestler. Let's ask for a small one though.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 7, 2019

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Wrestle a small squid

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
One small calamari, please.

Hopefully it'll be like that squid festival in Korea.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

PumpkinBat posted:

One small calamari, please.

Hopefully it'll be like that squid festival in Korea.

Hell yeah, let's Oldboy this sucker.

Sign us up for Squid wrestling.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

gently caress yeah, let's suplex some cephalopods!

quote:

You give up trying to reason with the man in the boat. He’s obviously convinced you three are squid wrestlers!

Well, you might as well make the best of a bad situation. “We’ll go for the small squid!” you shout after the man in the boat.

“The smaller, the better!” Patty yells.

“Teeny-tiny, itty-bitty, eensie-weensie,” Floyd adds. “Please!”

“Let’s try to get to shore before the squid show up,” you whisper to your friends as the boatman rows away.

The three of you wade quickly along the sunken dock until the water is only up to your knees. Then you step onto concrete.

“We must be close now!” you cry.

Suddenly four things happen.

First, blinding spotlights pop on, glaring down on you. You seem to be standing in the bottom of a concrete bowl, with row after row of spectators sitting above you.

Second, a glass wall rises behind you and your friends.

Third, water is pumped in until it’s up to your chest again!

And forth, an announcement blares over your head. “Lay-deez and gentle-things! Introducing the contenders!”

quote:

With the lights in your eyes, you can barely make out the spectators in their seats. They look more or less human. Some seem to have too many arms or an extra head. But they’re all clapping.

“Hu-mans, hu-mans, they’re okay! Hu-mans, hu-mans, hip-hooray!” half the crowd cheers.

The other half yells, “Go, squid!”

“At least some of them are on our side,” Floyd offers hopefully.

The unseen announcer keeps talking. “Taken together, the challengers weigh in at around two hundred twenty-five pounds. They have chosen the small size of opponent.”

So the guy in the boat listened to your request. You’re up against the small squid.

This doesn’t sound so bad.

Does it?

quote:

A new spotlight comes on, blazing down on a metal chute set in the wall over your head.

“And now,” the announcer’s voice rises in excitement, “let’s get ready to RUM-BLE!”

The sound coming from the chute isn’t exactly a rumble. It’s more like a gurgle.

A waterfall gushes out – along with dozens and dozens of baby squid!

One lands on your arm and wraps its tentacles around it.

CHOMP! It takes a bite out of you.

Yeow! There’s nothing small about the size of the pain!

quote:

You fling your arm around, trying to throw off the baby squid. It hangs on with its toothed tongue.

“MMMFF!” Floyd grunts. A little squid has landed on his head. Its tentacles wrap around Floyd’s jaw, clamping his mouth shut. It’s using another set of tentacles to choke him!

You wade over to try to help your cousin. But you stagger in mid step. Three more squid have grabbed your legs!

“What gives?” you yell at the invisible referee. “We asked for a small opponent!”

“And that’s what we gave you!” the announcer answers. “You wrestle your combined weight in squid. So we gave you two hundred fifty pounds’ worth. Of the small size.”

“Hey, look!” Patty cries. She holds up a squirming pair of squid. “I tied two of them together!”

Maybe that’s the solution! Tie all the tentacles together.

“SQUID! SQUID! SQUID! SQUID!” the crowd cries.

No one seems to be cheering for you humans anymore. You flush with anger. You feel like throwing the squid at the audience.

Hey – maybe that would work!

Should you tie the squid together? Turn to PAGE 124.

Or should you throw the squid at the crowd? Turn to PAGE 42.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This one's good. Knot the squid!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Poor squidlets :( I hope this doesn't turn out like the lizard.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tying the Squids together sounds remarkably idiotic, so there's a very good chance it'll work. Clothesline the Squids.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Omnicrom posted:

Tying the Squids together sounds remarkably idiotic, so there's a very good chance it'll work. Clothesline the Squids.

In my experience, the key to success in GYGB is the ability to tell when an idea is so obviously stupid it must be the right answer, and when it's just a stupid idea that's going to get us killed. Unfortunately, we guessed wrong this time...

quote:

“Do what Patty did!” you yell to Floyd. “Tie their tentacles together!”

Your cousin’s face is blue, and his eyes bulge, but he tries to follow your advice.

You grab a tentacle from one of the squid on your legs and try to tie it to a tentacle from the one on your arm. The stringy, boneless tentacles squirm, trying to break loose as you knot them together. You yank hard, and – POP! the creature on your arm comes off.

quote:

Unfortunately, the squidlet you removed falls onto your other leg. It wraps its free tentacles around your ankles.

It’s just as if someone tied your shoelaces together.

SPLOSH! You fall facedown in the water.

As you try to get back to your feet, more baby squid swarm over you.

There are just too many of them. There’s no way to tie all those flailing tentacles together. You splash around in the water, sinking deeper. The yells of the crowd fade away.

No doubt about it, the squid have definitely won this match. Hands down. Or tentacles down. And for that, you have to hand it to them. Or, tentacle it –

Oh, never mind. Just face it. This is

THE END.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Overwhelmed and strangled by an army of baby squid.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Go to the midway.
  • Wait until the train reaches dry land.
  • Insist you're not a squid wrestler.
  • Throw the baby squid at the crowd

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Let's embrace our inner hibachi grill and throw samples at the crowd.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You gotta be squiddin' me.

Throw the squids.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Throw
The
Squid!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“SQUID! SQUID! SQUID!” the crowd screams.

Fine, you think. If they love the squid so much, why not give them some?

Four of the cold-blooded babies crawl all over you. When a fifth comes along, you grab it by the tentacles, swing it over your head, and hurl it into the stands.

Patty and Floyd follow your example. Soon, the chanting turns into yells and screams as the spectators begin fighting with the hungry squidlets.

“You’re breaking the rules!” the invisible announcer scolds.

“What do you mean? They asked for squid, so I gave them squid,” you yell. “It’s the polite thing to do!”

Peeling the last squid baby off your leg, you hurl it into the stands.

Then you jump up and hook an arm over the railing in front of the first row of seats.

quote:

Dripping wet, you haul yourself back onto dry land. Then you help your friends out of the water.

“This is my favorite white T-shirt,” Patty complains. “Now it’s got squid ink all over it!”

“Patty! I think we have bigger things to worry about,” you scold. “We don’t have much time left before we’re trapped here forever!”

“Hey!” Floyd calls. “I found the exit.”

You race through the door and bump into a pale woman with shadowy eyes. She wears a red sequined dress. A feather boa is wrapped around her neck. Her lipstick and eyeshadow are the only colors on her face.

You shudder. If you don’t get moving, you’ll become a prisoner of the carnival, just like this woman!

You notice she carries an armful of towels. Maybe she’ll let you use them. And maybe she can give you advice on how to escape from the Carnival of Horrors!

quote:

“Can we use some of those towels, ma’am?” you ask.

“Call me Pia,” she answers in a hollow voice.

She gives you some towels. She doesn’t seem too weird. For a carnival creature, that is. Maybe she’ll help you.

“Uh, Pia,” you say. “What we really need is a way out of here.”

“Who doesn’t?” she replies. “I tried to beat Big Al at the games on the midway.” She nods toward the brightly lit booths. “They’ll let you go if you win – but I lost. I’ve been here ever since. Who knows?” she adds. “Maybe you’ll have better luck.”

Then the woman turns her haunted eyes toward the rides. “I’ve heard stories that there’s a way out somewhere over there.”

You follow the woman’s gaze to a sign that reads DINO-SAUR BACK IN TIME ON OUR DINO-RIDE!

“Back in time!” Patty cries. “That sounds like just the ride we need. It’ll make up for some of the time we lost!”

“Let’s get on it,” you say. “It’s almost midnight!”

Should you try the midway games? Turn to PAGE 54.

Should you give the Dino-Ride a try? Turn to PAGE 117.

Choosing to try the midway games will take us straight to the start of the other story path, so it's up to you guys whether we follow the ride path through to the end or jump ship and come back to it later.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Overwhelmed and strangled by an army of baby squid.

Achievements
:siren:Squid Wrestling Lightweight Champion: Defeated 225 pounds' worth of baby squid.:siren:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Let's get on Mr. Dino's Wild Ride

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Going back in time will certainly have no unintended consequences!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Android Blues posted:

Going back in time will certainly have no unintended consequences!

You know, we turned into a therapod last time we were here, maybe we'll be so lucky again. back in time it is.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Let's go back in time

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

I'm sure getting on this dinosaur-themed ride with alleged time travel properties definitely won't backfire!

quote:

The Right Away Railroad sent time spinning forward. Maybe the Dino-Ride will move time backwards!

You hand Pia the wet towels. Your shoes squelch, but you’re a lot drier now. You head for the Dino-Ride.

“Cool!” Floyd exclaims.

“Awesome!” Patty agrees.

You gaze up, up, up at the Dino-Ride. Passengers ride on giant mechanical dinosaurs – or rather, inside them. A Tyrannosaurus rex stands bent over, its head to the ground. Its mouth full of big, sharp teeth hangs wide open. Where a tongue ought to be, there are four padded seats with safety belts.

“This will be fun to ride even if it doesn’t help us escape!” Floyd declares.

You climb over the fangs and settle into a seat. “We need to win back some of our time,” you worry. “It’s getting closer and closer to midnight. If we don’t find a way out soon, we’ll be trapped here forever!”

quote:

As soon as you’re all strapped in, the mechanical Tyrannosaurus rex shuts its mouth and stands up. It starts walking. You can see where it’s going because there are portholes where the dinosaur’s eyes should be.

“Cool!” you exclaim. You’re riding eighteen feet up in the air while giant legs stomp on the ground below you.

“Do you think we’re going back in time?” Patty asks.

You glance out the dinosaur’s windows. Everything looks exactly the same. “I don’t think so,” you admit.

“How about an exit? Can you see one?” Floyd asks.

“No.” You start feeling discouraged. “Maybe we should check out this mechanical beast. Find the way to make it take us back in time.”

Patty twists around in her seat. She nods toward a metal panel. “Maybe that’s something useful,” she suggests.

You stretch against your safety strap and peer at the sign on the panel: DO NOT OPEN.

“It seems like a good place to start,” you say.

quote:

Patty strains against her belt. She can just reach the panel. It’s a struggle to get it open, but she succeeds. “There’s some machinery,” she reports. “And a switch. It says ‘Forward’ and ‘Back.’”

“Set it to ‘Back’ and see what happens,” you say. “That’s got to be the way for us to make up some time.”

The mechanical dinosaur lurches in mid step. Then it begins walking backwards!

“Put it to ‘Forward’ again!” you cry.

“I can’t!” Patty shouts. “It’s stuck!”

You unbuckle your safety belt and peer into the open panel. Wiping away a smear of grease, you find another control. It’s marked ESCAPE HATCH.

You press it. A door in the back of the Tyrannosaurus rex’s head pops open.

“Yow!” You stare down the dinosaur’s back. It’s like a long ski-slope, ending at a pointed tail.

A tail sticking over the carnival’s fence!

“Here’s a way out!” you yell, pointing.

“Yeah,” Floyd gulps. “If we don’t fall and break our necks!”

Slide down the tail on PAGE 97.

Stick with the ride on PAGE 79.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements
Squid Wrestling Lightweight Champion: Defeated 225 pounds' worth of baby squid.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
YABBA-DABBA-DOO!

Slide down the tail.

Also that is an amazing ride.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bail out!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpGx4foRdPw

quote:

“I’m going to try it!” you shout, leaping out the escape hatch. You bend your knees and hold out your arms for balance. “Wee-hah!” you whoop. Fake lizard scales zoom beneath your feet. It’s like the world’s coolest, scariest skateboard run!

Swooping to the end of the dinosaur’s tail, you zip over the fence surrounding the Carnival of Horrors.

“HAHAHA!” you laugh in delight. “We did it! We escaped!”

You thump to the ground. A second later there’s another thump, then a “WHOOOOOA!” and a crash from Cousin Floyd.

At first, you can’t see your friends. A heavy fog steams up from the ground. The air feels a lot warmer than when you arrived at the carnival.

You find Patty, and then Floyd. He’s examining a bush and seems very excited. “This is an amazing scientific find!” he cries. “Everyone thinks this plant has been extinct for millions of years.”

Before you can answer, the earth starts to tremble. You hear the sound of huge, heavy, stomping feet.

And they’re heading your way!

quote:

“M-maybe it’s the mechanical Tyrannosaurus rex from the carnival,” Patty suggests. Her voice shakes.

“R-right. It probably broke through the fence,” Floyd agrees. You notice beads of sweat on his face.

You strain your ears. The footsteps seem to come faster than the speed of the Dino-Ride. And it sounds like they’re coming from another direction...

“I have a feeling we did go back in time,” you say. “But not just a night or two.”

A head bursts out of the fog, and you scream.

It’s a Tyrannosaurus rex – but it’s not the one from the carnival. The colors are all different – and this creature’s eyes aren’t portholes. They peer down at you with a greedy, hungry expression.

“RUN!” you yell.

But before you can move, the Tyrannosaurus rex bends down, gripping you in its teeth.

Wow! You really did go back in time – millions and millions of years back!

This sure does beat watching a dinosaur movie – except for one small problem...

You’re the snack!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Sent back in time by the Dino-Ride and eaten by a T-rex.:siren:

Achievements
:siren:Dying is Easy, Consistency is Hard: Encountered a total of 250 bad endings.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Go to the midway.
  • Wait until the train reaches dry land.
  • Insist you're not a squid wrestler.
  • Stay on the Dino-Ride.

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 12, 2019

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Boo.

Stick on the ride, and see if we hit a similar end.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Wait for the train to reach dry land. And didn't we already do throwing squid at crowd?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Stay on the ride

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Maugrim posted:

Wait for the train to reach dry land. And didn't we already do throwing squid at crowd?

We did, I just forgot to delete it from the list until now.

quote:

Jump out of a moving train into unknown, pitch-black water?

No way!

You may be desperate, but you’re not stupid!

The train chugs even more slowly over the bridge. And your watch seems to spin faster! Minutes pass like seconds, hours like minutes.

This train’s name turns out to be horribly on target. The Right Away Railroad is taking your precious time right away!

And you’re helpless! All you can do is sit and shiver.

At last! You see a shoreline up ahead.

“There’s dry land!” you yell. “And there are some other rides! Let’s jump out! On your mark, get set...”

quote:

You close your eyes as you tumble through the air. Then you hit the ground with enough force to knock the air out of you.

If you weren’t in such a hurry, now would be a good time to collapse.

But it’s almost midnight. And you still have to find the ride that will help you escape the Carnival of Horrors!

“We’re closest to the Log Zoom and the Roller Ghoster.” You turn to Floyd. “Do either of those sound like time-travel rides?”

Floyd shrugs. “I don’t know,” he admits. “What do you think, Patty?”

“We’ll be able to see the whole carnival from the Roller Ghoster,” she declares. “I vote we take that!”

“No, let’s go for the Log Zoom,” Floyd argues. “It might zoom us out of here!”

You wonder if Floyd really means that. Or is he just sick of being bossed around by Patty?

Anyway, it looks as if the final decision is up to you.

If you want to try the Roller Ghoster, turn to PAGE 14.

If you decide on the Log Zoom, turn to PAGE 92.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Sent back in time by the Dino-Ride and eaten by a T-rex.

Achievements
Dying is Easy, Consistency is Hard: Encountered a total of 250 bad endings.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Let's Ride the Roller Ghoster! and probably turn into ghosts and die

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Roller Ghoster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

The Roller Ghoster is on the cover of the book, so it has to be important, right?

quote:

“I’m with Patty,” you announce. “Let’s ride the Roller Ghoster.”

This roller coaster seems a lot bigger than the one on your last adventure. It must take up a quarter of the fairgrounds, switching and branching. Some of its tracks wind around other attractions.

Two tracks split off to either side of the castle in the middle of the carnival. That’s the Hall of the Mountain King. You squint at the section of rails that go behind the castle turrets.

Is it your imagination, or is there a gap in the track over there?

A roller coaster comes speeding along the nearer branch, distracting you. It sounds normal enough. The rattle and roar of the wheels mix with screams from the passengers.

Well, maybe there’s a little too much screaming.

quote:

Following the tracks, you reach the ticket booth for the Roller Ghoster. There’s no line.

You’re not all that surprised.

A man steps out of the booth. “What luck! You get a free ride!” He has a big belly, and a cigar sticks out the side of his mouth. He almost looks like a typical carnival worker – except for the single horn growing out of his forehead.

He smiles, showing pointed teeth, as he leads you to a silver car waiting on the tracks. It’s tiny. There are only three seats across. It looks pretty flimsy to you.

“Is that thing safe?” you ask.

The roller-coaster man shrugs. “I’ve never had anybody come back to complain.”

Why doesn’t that make you feel better?

“Listen, guys,” you mutter to Patty and Floyd. “Maybe this is a bad idea. Maybe we should go on – um, um” – you look around for another sign – “the Slug Subway!”

“Yeah, that sounds really great,” Patty mocks. “Just get into the roller-coaster car. You can’t wimp out now!”

Do you board the Roller Ghoster? Turn to PAGE 86.

Do you decide it's too dangerous? Turn to PAGE 19.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Sent back in time by the Dino-Ride and eaten by a T-rex.

Achievements
Dying is Easy, Consistency is Hard: Encountered a total of 250 bad endings.