Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

My CIEM A8s, unfortunately, got cancelled because my ear impressions were too small fit the entire A8. Linsoul have offered that I can either wait for the Moondrop S8 in a month or so that will be the A8 replacement that's more compact or get one of the Fearless Paladin series as a CIEM as a replacement. Of these, the Roland is what they suggest.

The Roland as CIEM is much more expensive, and has some really good reviews, but is also really new type of driver and somewhat divisive. I'm also not paying more so it feels like it's worth it from a value perspective.

Getting the Roland for basically half price is a pretty good deal, but I don't know if it's worth it over the S8 which will be an A8 that's even closer to Harman (apparently) a house sound that I know I like. If the Roland gets measured from a good source (it will eventually) then I'll be able accurately use EQ to fix any tonal problems and hopefully have the superior performance of the driver configuration.

Not being able to locally trial any of the new IEMs is quite annoying, biggest problem with chifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
OH NO this is a disaster. Im waiting for the S8 which has been retuned and uses Sonion BAs for Bass instead of Knowles. Im on the fence about the Roland. Price is very high and for that 1000 bux you can get the Sony M9 which is a sure fire badass IEM. Ive heard at least a few people say the Roland has LESS treble than the 800ST which I consider about as low as I go in terms of treble detail.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 28, 2019

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

redeyes posted:

OH NO this is a disaster. Im waiting for the S8 which has been retuned and uses Sonion BAs for Bass instead of Knowles. Im on the fence about the Roland. Price is very high and for that 1000 bux you can get the Sony M9 which is a sure fire badass IEM. Ive heard at least a few people say the Roland has LESS treble than the 800ST which I consider about as low as I go in terms of treble detail.

A bass boost on the A8 would actually get it a bit closer to the Harman IE target, which includes a large bass boost, whereas the current A8 conforms closer to the OE target without the bass boost.

I'm in a pretty good situation, just a hard choice :D. I paid $600 originally so my choice of Roland or S8 in CIEM form is a good deal, I can also go for the La Hire or Lancelot but no-one seems to mention them next to the Roland. I can also just get my money back to look at other options, but I am saving money if I go for the Linsoul options and it'll be quicker and easier. If I get my money back I won't be looking at other IEMs in the Roland price range, just the A8 price range.

Linsoul and Moondrop support are really fantastic, I can't recommend them enough. They've been generous and supportive through the whole ordeal.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldnt get an unknown IEM in CIEM. Nope. That could bite you in the rear end hard and no way to re-sell.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
There's nothing sadder than months-old avexchange posts where people offer to sand down their customs to put universal tips on.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

redeyes posted:

I wouldnt get an unknown IEM in CIEM. Nope. That could bite you in the rear end hard and no way to re-sell.

You're right, it's the sensible option, I'll wait out the S8 and see how that goes. Moondrop assured me it will be a replacement/improvement for the A8 to get closer to the harman/moondrop house sound, and they said I can return the S8 (in CIEM form) for a refund if I don't like it versus the A8.

The Roland is just very tempting due to the large discount, the recent hype reviews and the interesting driver configuration (2ba, 2est, 1dd). I've been talking about it in the Crinacle patreon discord and it is divisive, someone has it as their favourite IEM (among many) and another didn't like it at all.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BurritoJustice posted:

You're right, it's the sensible option, I'll wait out the S8 and see how that goes. Moondrop assured me it will be a replacement/improvement for the A8 to get closer to the harman/moondrop house sound, and they said I can return the S8 (in CIEM form) for a refund if I don't like it versus the A8.

The Roland is just very tempting due to the large discount, the recent hype reviews and the interesting driver configuration (2ba, 2est, 1dd). I've been talking about it in the Crinacle patreon discord and it is divisive, someone has it as their favourite IEM (among many) and another didn't like it at all.

Yeah Im in that discord as well. Same nickname. I cannot wrap my head around this drat iem. Reviews are absolutely opposite.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
On a side note, I ordered the Blon and the TRN V90 from Linsoul.. and got the BGVP Artmagic ES12. Since I'm not a complete rear end in a top hat, I actually contacted linsoul and found the correct owner and shipped it down stream. So close yet so far. That drat IEM is $1600 bux.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

On a side note, I ordered the Blon and the TRN V90 from Linsoul.. and got the BGVP Artmagic ES12. Since I'm not a complete rear end in a top hat, I actually contacted linsoul and found the correct owner and shipped it down stream. So close yet so far. That drat IEM is $1600 bux.

lol holy poo poo

you're a good person

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

trem_two posted:

lol holy poo poo

you're a good person

Thanks. Sometimes I surprise even myself.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
I'm finally ready to get some bluetooth headphones, and I'm likely going to buy a second pair of KSC-75s and mod them unless there's something better for the price. The problem is that most of the guides I've found either say "just cut up any $5 bluetooth headphones" or "use this decent and cheap adapter" (that is no longer available).

This adapter looks like it's decent, but I really don't know. MMCX or 2-pin would be fine too.

Budget - Targeting $50 complete or $30 for the bluetooth adapter, but I'm flexible
Source - Mostly iphone, possibly PC
Preferred Type of Headphone - low-profile clip-on or a skinny band behind the head. Not a fan of in-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - neutral I guess. Bass is fine if it's not boomy and doesn't make podcasts annoying to listen to
Past Headphones - mostly Sony V6 these days
Preferred Music - I listen to a lot of stuff. Rock, rap, pop, ambient, podcasts

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

You could just get a uBTR or the like, use your existing headphones and not have to do any splicing or soldering (though you could shorten the cable to where it only reaches to your collar/shirt pocket)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Clark Nova posted:

You could just get a uBTR or the like, use your existing headphones and not have to do any splicing or soldering (though you could shorten the cable to where it only reaches to your collar/shirt pocket)

Or rock a Radstone ES100 and use the stock cable.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Clark Nova posted:

Nice, I didn't think I would find a good option from a company I recognized. That looks small enough to suspend from a shortened cable.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Any opinions on the new Klipsch wireless headphones?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

redeyes posted:

Yeah Im in that discord as well. Same nickname. I cannot wrap my head around this drat iem. Reviews are absolutely opposite.

What do you reckon about the Lancelot? It's tuned to be the same as the S8Pro but with estat tweeters. BGGA measured them to almost identical tuning with better technicalities and the S8Pro is a very agreeable IEM. I'd love to get input from BGGA given he's listened to and likes both the A8 and the Paladin series.

I guess I'm being a bit impatient because getting a CIEM was a birthday present to myself from late June so I've been already waiting a while :f5:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've owned and used my Sony XB900N's for a couple months now. Got to the point where it was modding time because gently caress it why not.

If you pull off the stock pads (they aren't clipped on, it's the same generic ring/lip attachment most headphones use) and replace with Brainwavz HM5 sheepskins the "15DB too much sub bass" goes down to merely "robust" without need of DSP or equalizer work. Basically thanks to the increased amount of space inside the pads.

Not really that notable I suppose since the stock pads are pretty good anyway but I thought it might be worth a mention. It's an overall comfort improvement with no apparent downsides (apart from needing to own or buy the HM5 pads) and easily revertable.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BurritoJustice posted:

What do you reckon about the Lancelot? It's tuned to be the same as the S8Pro but with estat tweeters. BGGA measured them to almost identical tuning with better technicalities and the S8Pro is a very agreeable IEM. I'd love to get input from BGGA given he's listened to and likes both the A8 and the Paladin series.

I guess I'm being a bit impatient because getting a CIEM was a birthday present to myself from late June so I've been already waiting a while :f5:

To be honest I am not into the massive price hike for these drat EST drivers. Some industry insiders have said they are just new and popular not technically better than many BA sets. Having said that, I have no idea. These new IEMS are kind of a wild card right now. If I were to order a CIEM it would be a 6-8BA and 1DD hybrid, done right of course.

Im a massive moondrop fan though. I'd try the new Moondrop S8 which is retuned and has Sonion BAs for subwoofers. You can also get it in CIEM. Comes out in a month.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

redeyes posted:

To be honest I am not into the massive price hike for these drat EST drivers. Some industry insiders have said they are just new and popular not technically better than many BA sets. Having said that, I have no idea. These new IEMS are kind of a wild card right now. If I were to order a CIEM it would be a 6-8BA and 1DD hybrid, done right of course.

Im a massive moondrop fan though. I'd try the new Moondrop S8 which is retuned and has Sonion BAs for subwoofers. You can also get it in CIEM. Comes out in a month.

I'm in the situation of being able to chose any of the Linsoul CIEMs without paying anything more, so retail cost of the estat stuff doesn't matter to me.

I'm gonna wait out for the S8, the main draw to to the more expansive sets is theoretically getting more "value" out of my choice but given its a CIEM that doesnt really matter. Plus hybrids with dynamics for bass are always fun, and the idea of EST tweeters is satisfying as a full range triad system. I wish someone would get some good measurements of the drat Roland, and get them into crinacle's hands/ears.

Moondrop also have a 6BA+2EST IEM coming out called Solis which should be the more expensive hybrid equivalent of the S8, the Blessing 2 refresh, and an unnamed new kilobuck flagship. All very exciting. Best IEM company.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm kind of browsing around wireless DAC and amps so I don't have to worry about future phones and tablets having a strong enough (or even extant) 3.5mm jack.

Is there anything worth looking at beyond the Fiio BTR3? Under $200 preferably.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

NewFatMike posted:

I'm kind of browsing around wireless DAC and amps so I don't have to worry about future phones and tablets having a strong enough (or even extant) 3.5mm jack.

Is there anything worth looking at beyond the Fiio BTR3? Under $200 preferably.

BTR3 is good, the Radstone ES100 is well loved and has a ton of bells and whistles for the price. I just use a $10 MPOW amazon special, works fine and gets plenty loud. A USB-C dac/amp might make more sense though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Finally got my Tin T2 phones. They seem quite nice so far. The cable is weird but not unpleasant. Same goes for the foam tips. I'm also really happy the seller included something like 10 pairs of (normal, non-foam) spare tips.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I bought the T2's on a whim after reading a few posts here and wow. For 50 bucks these can't be beat. I have a pair of Klipsch X10's that I've been sick of for a while now the T2's are like night and day at half the price. Thanks to those who recommended it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

BTR3 is good, the Radstone ES100 is well loved and has a ton of bells and whistles for the price. I just use a $10 MPOW amazon special, works fine and gets plenty loud. A USB-C dac/amp might make more sense though.

Thanks for the rec! Looking between the two, the Fiio is probably my choice for USB-C charging. Helps a lot for researching in the price range!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BurritoJustice posted:

I'm in the situation of being able to chose any of the Linsoul CIEMs without paying anything more, so retail cost of the estat stuff doesn't matter to me.

I'm gonna wait out for the S8, the main draw to to the more expansive sets is theoretically getting more "value" out of my choice but given its a CIEM that doesnt really matter. Plus hybrids with dynamics for bass are always fun, and the idea of EST tweeters is satisfying as a full range triad system. I wish someone would get some good measurements of the drat Roland, and get them into crinacle's hands/ears.

Moondrop also have a 6BA+2EST IEM coming out called Solis which should be the more expensive hybrid equivalent of the S8, the Blessing 2 refresh, and an unnamed new kilobuck flagship. All very exciting. Best IEM company.

I think that is a good bet. I am all in on the S8 as well. Moondrop can tune very well for my ears. As far as the Solis and other ESTs. The moondrop boss guy said:

What I really want is a 1xDD and many BA Moondrop. The original Blessing had low bass and couldn't be amped up much. I have hopes the blessing 2 fixes this issue. Every person that bought the blessing I know of loved the hell out of it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Picked up an HE4xx for heck of cheap on ebay to experiment with. I sold my 400i back in the day because the build was dogshit and the pads sucked. These are way, way better. Same basic bitch hifiman tin-cans-and-string construction but way better materials, fit and finish. The sliders are super stiff and stay in place and the old style headband is actually more comfortable and better looking than their attempt at a suspension strap. The cable is extremely poo poo. Offensively bad, but that's easy enough to remedy. Oh, and I had to open them up and replace the right 2.5mm jack to keep the plug from falling out. And the fabric on the inside of the metal grills had to come off, it was causing a reflection that was phase-loving the lower treble and ruining hi hats and female vocals. Okay fine, maybe the build isn't that much better.

Out of the box, they sound dark-ish and wide. Using the HD600 as a reference, they're much wider, much more rolled off upstairs but everything from 500hz down is noticeably fast, clean and big-planar-esque. Vocals are present and satisfying but obviously don't get right up in your poo poo in that magical way the HD series does. If HD600s are like sitting in the front row with the vocalist in your lap, these are five rows back. Stock, these are accurate enough, fun and relaxing with good enough imaging and a real nice, wide soundstage. I'd take these for gaming and movie watching over the Sennheiser, but not for critical listening or mixing.

The Focus pads are better than the OG hifiman pads, but they're still bad. I like the slight angle but they're too thin and the velour is cheap and scratchy. Brainwavz hybrids are better, softer, wider and bassier without losing detail. The winner for me is angled pleather Brainwavz. Brings up the subbass and upper treble while only sacrificing a little lower midrange detail. While T50RP drivers want to be right up against your ear at all times to sound good, these drivers really like an inch or two of space, and the stock pads are way too close to avoid congestion.

Anyway, these are good headphones that need a lot of love to be great, but at $110 on eBay, it's more than worth the effort.

edit: oh and they need power. I'm at 2 o'clock at high gain on my o2 for reference. My LG V30 powers them fine, tried an iPhone 5s and a Oneplus 3T, neither were loud enough to be enjoyable.

HE4xx are fantastic and at $110 that's a helluva deal. I don't even mind paying $200 for mine. I'd do it again if they ever broke.
They definitely do love to suck some power though. They're only 32ohms but my phone just can't do them justice. I've put them through their paces with my Teac AX-501 and UD-501 (they sound better on the AX-501) as well as a couple Emotiva amps and DAC/amps. Right now I've got them plugged into my Denon x1800 and I mix with them and love it.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Do bluetooth adapters/amp/DACs pass through the mic of a connected headset, or is it mostly ignored in place of the mic built in to the adapter itself? There never seems to be a clear description in the specifications.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

MeKeV posted:

Do bluetooth adapters/amp/DACs pass through the mic of a connected headset, or is it mostly ignored in place of the mic built in to the adapter itself? There never seems to be a clear description in the specifications.

Most desktop dac/amps do not have a mic input, so you either need to lift the ground and plug it into your PC or get one that does. If you don't lift the ground, you'll get terrible RF noise. Something like this will work.

Most bluetooth adapters have a built-in mic, I'm not aware of one that uses the headset mic.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

HE4xx are fantastic and at $110 that's a helluva deal. I don't even mind paying $200 for mine. I'd do it again if they ever broke.
They definitely do love to suck some power though. They're only 32ohms but my phone just can't do them justice. I've put them through their paces with my Teac AX-501 and UD-501 (they sound better on the AX-501) as well as a couple Emotiva amps and DAC/amps. Right now I've got them plugged into my Denon x1800 and I mix with them and love it.

I actually went back to the Focus pads, modding them by tucking some cotton batting between the foam and the plastic ring to push the drivers further out. This let me get the distance just right and holy balls they're good now. If you haven't already, you gotta try it. Just stuff the pads with a little cotton around the rim until it's to your taste.The bass will start rattling your fillings out if you overdo it, that's when you know to back off.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I got a pair of 215's years ago when they were the thing to get, but my dog recently ate the olives off of them. The T2 isn't that much more than a set of replacement tips that, if it's as good as everyone says it is, might be worth picking up instead, but I did very much like the isolation of the Shures. Can you get a T2 to have comparable isolation? It's not for super loud environments or anything, I just like blocking out the surrounding noise.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

ItBreathes posted:

I got a pair of 215's years ago when they were the thing to get, but my dog recently ate the olives off of them. The T2 isn't that much more than a set of replacement tips that, if it's as good as everyone says it is, might be worth picking up instead, but I did very much like the isolation of the Shures. Can you get a T2 to have comparable isolation? It's not for super loud environments or anything, I just like blocking out the surrounding noise.

No, not really. The T2 are great but they're ported, so they're sort of semi-open. It's not like semi-open headphones, there's still a ton of isolation, but not as much as the 215. I would suggest getting a set from Amazon and returning them if it doesn't work out. If you really need more isolation, try the fiio FH1.

edit: where the are all these negative T2 reviews coming from? The cable's fantastic, absurdly so for the price. It's one of my favorite things about them.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 4, 2019

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
How’s the cable that comes with the tin t2? I’m interested in getting a pair but a lot of the Amazon reviews say the cable breaks easily.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

mariooncrack posted:

How’s the cable that comes with the tin t2? I’m interested in getting a pair but a lot of the Amazon reviews say the cable breaks easily.

Even if it does, you can replace it with a nice one for $10.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Do I want to buy a Tin P1? Or should I just save up and skip straight to an EX1000, and replace my EX800ST?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Tin p1?! That has zero bass compared to the ex800st. Thats going to be a hard upgrade my man. I might recommend the XBA Z5 which has the same 16mm dyamic driver and 2x Sony BA but no open back. The EX1000 is probably the real upgrade.

I absolutely adore the XBA Z5 for $400.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 5, 2019

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I recently ventured into the planar IEM game with a used Senfer MT100, which has a planar driver and a single BA. It's tantalizingly close to being great at times, but then also is kind of dull sounding other times. I don't know if maybe I need a more powerful source to make it really perform? It's got a very balanced, flat sounding tuning. The strangest thing is that it has really great sound stage placement of elements, but when a track gets busy it doesn't have great separation of those elements, if that makes sense? Like I can tell that the performers are placed around in unique locations, but they don't sound particularly distinct or crisp.

I've been meaning to get a more powerful desktop amp, so maybe once I do that it'll change things for this set.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

trem_two posted:

I recently ventured into the planar IEM game with a used Senfer MT100, which has a planar driver and a single BA. It's tantalizingly close to being great at times, but then also is kind of dull sounding other times. I don't know if maybe I need a more powerful source to make it really perform? It's got a very balanced, flat sounding tuning. The strangest thing is that it has really great sound stage placement of elements, but when a track gets busy it doesn't have great separation of those elements, if that makes sense? Like I can tell that the performers are placed around in unique locations, but they don't sound particularly distinct or crisp.

I've been meaning to get a more powerful desktop amp, so maybe once I do that it'll change things for this set.

Finally found the box where I had stashed a balanced cable, threw that on and put my ES100 on the higher voltage output - immediate, massive improvement. These might actually be quite good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Got this email yesterday.

quote:

If you purchased Plantronics BackBeat FIT wireless sport headphones, version Genesis or 16M (“Headphones”), you may be entitled to a cash payment of up to $50 or an extended warranty from a class action settlement.
A settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit titled Shin v. Plantronics, Inc., No. 5:18-cv-05626-NC (N.D. Cal.). The lawsuit claims that Plantronics, Inc. falsely advertised and warranted the Headphones as sweatproof, waterproof, and providing up to eight hours of listening time on a single charge. Plantronics denies all of the claims and allegations in the lawsuit, denies any wrongdoing and stands by its products as advertised and warranted.
WHO IS A CLASS MEMBER?

You may be in the Settlement Class if you live in the United States and its territories and purchased at retail the Headphones on or between April 1, 2014, and October 31, 2019.
WHAT BENEFITS DOES THE SETTLEMENT PROVIDE?

Class Members can receive one of the following benefits under the settlement:
Extended Limited Warranty – Class Members who purchased Headphones on or after January 1, 2018, receive a 12-month limited warranty extension unless they file a claim for the $50 or $25 cash payment (see below). The Extended Limited Warranty applies to the Headphones’ battery, battery performance, ability to retain a charge, or their resistance to water, moisture, or sweat and is subject to terms and conditions as described in the Settlement Agreement. The Extended Limited Warranty will begin to run on the Effective Date of the Settlement. You do not need to submit a Claim Form if you qualify for the Extended Limited Warranty. However, if you choose to receive a cash payment through this Settlement, you are not eligible to also receive the Extended Limited Warranty.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Thoughts on the BLON 03

Sound
-Well tuned. I prefer a *slightly* earlier pinna gain, but otherwise I've no complaints.
-Good detail and clarity
-On the leaner side for a dynamic, which is definitely my preference.
-Slightly-larger-than-average sound stage, which is decent for a closed-back IEM

Usability
-Cable is... fine? It's far from my favourite, but it's not so bad that I'm immediately thinking of replacing it.
-Tips are also fine? A little soft, but switching to one size larger than I normally wear fixed any sealing issues
-No driver flex

Good buy for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Belief
LetMusicBurn
Oppoty
NeverGiveUp