Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Twee or Jank?
This poll is closed.
Twee 9 4.81%
Jank 26 13.90%
Goose 71 37.97%
Bowsette 81 43.32%
Total: 187 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Pylons posted:

They're owned by Tencent
what nooooooooo

EDIT: ugh what an awful snipe. poo poo, is Grim Dawn safe from all this bullshit

EDIT: what about warframe wait what the gently caress is this

"Digital Extremes has sold 61 per cent of its stock to two Chinese companies, with 58 per cent now owned by a subsidiary of the agricultural firm, Sumpo Food Holdings."

...A food company?

George RR Fartin fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Shlomo Palestein posted:

what nooooooooo

name like any f2p game and there's a 90% chance it's owned by Tencent

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shlomo Palestein posted:

what nooooooooo

The way I look at it is, how does the company itself ethically operate? At least at this time there is no reason to believe GGG is a bunch of fascist supporting dorks. GGG also does not do anything with their game that would force them into a position where they may have to support the Chinese government.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If you want a take on ethical consumption under capitalism: Blizzard, as with the NBA, are direct actors in current events that at least have the possibility of being pressured by the American society they are part of, and a larger audience with certain conceptions about speech, protest, and politics.

In most cases Tencent is a "passive" investor in a multitude of products and is so thoroughly enmeshed with the CCP that there is no possibility of positive change except through top-level political change so "taking your business elsewhere" will probably do more to hurt devs than anything else

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I said come in! posted:

The way I look at it is, how does the company itself ethically operate? At least at this time there is no reason to believe GGG is a bunch of fascist supporting dorks. GGG also does not do anything with their game that would force them into a position where they may have to support the Chinese government.

the problem i've seen with GGG is the very blatant shift to loot boxes for their cosmetics after being bought by Tencent, plus that recent thing with the weird extra gambling lootbox that they had and immediately took down after backlash

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

a glitch posted:

You may want to keep an eye on A Year of Rain, which looks to be a lot like WC3 only it's made by Daedalic instead of Blizzard. It also seems to be focusing on 2v2 multiplayer, although I have no idea what that might actually mean.

Thanks, this looks like it might be sick. 2v2 seems interesting, I've said often that a potential Warcraft 4 or similar game would like be 3-5 player team based, and have subfactions and map objectives more like StarCraft 2 co op mode than a more traditional RTS.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Really hope that John wick hex game shows up on switch. I feel the biggest issue is how they do input for consoles, but for the switch, they could always go touch. Bithells already got a couple games on switch, surely it's on the radar.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I forgot that Shadow of War makes the incredibly funny decision to give Shelob a hot human form

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Roth posted:

I forgot that Shadow of War makes the incredibly funny decision to give Shelob a hot human form

And for like, 2 or 3 cutscenes, before you move on from the Tutorial and she's never mentioned again*

* i didn't finish the game, maybe she decides to show up as a hot lady again at some point

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Samuringa posted:

And for like, 2 or 3 cutscenes, before you move on from the Tutorial and she's never mentioned again*

* i didn't finish the game, maybe she decides to show up as a hot lady again at some point

She's actually important for the last half of the game

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Does shelob take the place of young bev?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I hosed up then.

Unrelated: Getting to Lv62 with the Samurai in FFXIV just made it 1000x cooler now that my special gauge gets filled like mad and I can keep popping out cool moves during an entire boss fight without missing a beat

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Clone Hero/Guitar Hero showcase at AGDQ? Nice.

https://twitter.com/FrostedGH/status/1181009867194150913?s=20

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my two days from hell are officially over at work and i've bought myself a nice bottle of rye as a special cowcaster treat with which i now plan to get absolutely crunk on

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Cowcaster posted:

my two days from hell are officially over at work and i've bought myself a nice bottle of rye as a special cowcaster treat with which i now plan to get absolutely crunk on

Fkn jealous. My hell weeks just turn into more hell weeks. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/iHKKq7kMF8w

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

wow bread comes in bottles now

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Roth posted:

Lot easier to animate than a giant spider.

They could of creatively worked around this by having her human form be a puppeted corpse operated by magical spider strings but I guess that wouldn't of been as marketable. But I don't think anyone actually cared by sexy Shelob in a positive way anyways.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

That PS5 interview gives me the vibe that they're going to ship with a too small ssd.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Lot easier to animate than a giant spider.

They could of creatively worked around this by having her human form be a puppeted corpse operated by magical spider strings but I guess that wouldn't of been as marketable. But I don't think anyone actually cared by sexy Shelob in a positive way anyways.

I guess having her in spider form would have made the secret romance backstory lore videos between her and Sauron too creepy

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hoping for options for a 500GB and 1TB SSD SKU. I have a 1TB SSD in my PC and it's perfectly fine.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

If it's less than a 1tb, they've failed when that's standard for the xbonex. Destiny 2 is 130gb, a 500gb would be 4 games on the system, which I don't think any publisher wants.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Hoping for options for a 500GB and 1TB SSD SKU. I have a 1TB SSD in my PC and it's perfectly fine.

Given how well the 500GB hard drives fared this gen that would fit my definition of "too small."

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I played Destiny 2 all weekend and now I'm a scientologist

It's fun tho

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

glad you had some good video game times, sorry about the scientology though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
From the plot summaries I've read, Shadow of War shits on LotR in much much deeper ways than making the spider sexy, that's just the easiest one to explain and the most obviously dumb thing

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

hell yeah, you've earned it

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

Ya it'll probably be that. I can't imagine them using any less than a 500GB ssd, but having 1TB as the base model would push the price up a lot.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

From the plot summaries I've read, Shadow of War shits on LotR in much much deeper ways than making the spider sexy, that's just the easiest one to explain and the most obviously dumb thing

moreso than the first game though?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ya it'll probably be that. I can't imagine them using any less than a 500GB ssd, but having 1TB as the base model would push the price up a lot.

I thought so too but apparently 1TB SSDs are pretty reasonable these days, like 60 to 80 bucks.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

moreso than the first game though?

Major spoilers for Shadow of War:

Talion rejects Celebrimbor's goal of enslaving the world by taking Sauron's power, so Talion kills Isildur and becomes a ring-wraith to fight a forever war to contain Sauron's army in Mordor while Celebrimbor, who possessed an elf-lady and attacked Sauron, nearly wins but gets trapped in the Eye of Sauron fighting for control. Talion eventually becomes one of the ring-wraiths that gets murked in LOTR but the lesson is that Talion delayed the War of the Ring enough for the Ring to be found and destroyed

Also the reason why Sexy Shelob was important was because she manipulated all these events to take revenge for the initial betrayal by Sauron against her

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I am actually not sure which game I'm thinking of but one of the two has, as a major plot point, that shelob attacked frodo because she knew he wouldn't' be able to destroy the ring and that gollum and her were secretly working together to destroy it

not putting that behind spoiler tags because holy poo poo is it extremely bad and dumb

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Major spoilers for Shadow of War:

Talion rejects Celebrimbor's goal of enslaving the world by taking Sauron's power, so Talion kills Isildur and becomes a ring-wraith to fight a forever war to contain Sauron's army in Mordor while Celebrimbor, who possessed an elf-lady and attacked Sauron, nearly wins but gets trapped in the Eye of Sauron fighting for control. Talion eventually becomes one of the ring-wraiths that gets murked in LOTR but the lesson is that Talion delayed the War of the Ring enough for the Ring to be found and destroyed

i mean, that doesn't seem much wilder a departure from the lord of the rings canon than the first game where an elf who forged the rings, is now some kind of ghost, and possesses a dying human, to try and make a second ring and defeat sauron?

that said i was pretty stone cold drunk my entire playthrough of shadow of mordor so the details are a little fuzzy

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I guess having her in spider form would have made the secret romance backstory lore videos between her and Sauron too creepy

This is pure cowardice on their part.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

cheetah7071 posted:

Does it have good Orcs?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

You kill a ton of orcs, so hell yeah

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's one of those games with a dumb plot that's treated super seriously, even though the actual orc related stuff is usually humorous and good.

But don't expect to play pokemon with the orc arenas because the arena ai is busted.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Orcs are so much less interesting than Orks

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

sometimes there's an orc who is a bard and sings at you before you fight

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Cowcaster posted:

cheers bud. i bought some horny wine on my way home and also some nips because i'm maybe drinking a lil too much since i'm working from home tomorrow.

think i might throw on some gears 5 in a bit here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
In 20 years we will all have to learn Chinese and will be completely depending on the good will of the Chinese government and all our useless politicians that are looking away constantly "in the interest of our economy" will go "Who could have seen this coming? There was no way to know China would be so aggressively expanding their influence etc. blah blah."

Remember when people last looked away until it was to late? The similarities are frightening. There is camps already, the retoric, the censorship, the expanding of territory... They probably also burned books already