Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I've got some pinto beans soaking, any good suggestions for what to do with them? I was thinking fritters but I will entertain other recipe suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Sextro posted:

My go-to smoothie is 100 grams kale, 25 grams cilantro, 1 serrano, 1 banana, 12 grams ground flax, 12 grams ground chia seeds, juice of 1 lime, 140g of frozen mango/pineapple/papaya/(whatever was in the bruised/discount pile and is tropical)and 100g of coconut water. And it's delicious! Sometimes I swap the Serrano and cilantro out for a few mint leaves and spinach.

I dream of having another chest freezer to fill with stuff including prepped out smoothies

Oh yeah I didn’t mention it but Sextro is right, coriander is amazing in smoothies.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Couldn't find my recipe, but the food network one seems about right.

Spinach and Butternut Squash Lasagna

Ingredients

-9 no-boil lasagna noodles
-1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
-1 large onion, finely chopped
-Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
-4 cups lowfat (1-percent) milk
-1/4 cup cornstarch
-Two 5-ounce packages baby spinach
-1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped, plus more, for garnish
-1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
-1 butternut squash (about 2 1/2 pounds), peeled, seeded, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons
-2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Soak the lasagna noodles in warm water.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, onions and salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and browned, about 10 minutes. If the mixture becomes too dry, add a tablespoon or two of water.

Meanwhile, stir together 1/2 cup of the milk and the cornstarch in a small bowl until smooth. Heat the remaining 3 1/2 cups milk in a large saucepan until bubbling. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the milk and bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring, until the milk thickens to the consistency of a thin batter, about 5 minutes. Stir in the onion mixture, spinach, parsley and nutmeg, and cook until the spinach wilts. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.

Drain the noodles. Spread 1 cup of the spinach mixture over the bottom of a 13- by 9- by 2-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles over the spinach. Arrange half of the squash over the noodles, overlapping slightly, and sprinkle with one-third of the mozzarella. Spoon 1 cup spinach mixture over the cheese, and top with 3 noodles, the remaining squash and another third of the mozzarella. Top with 1 cup spinach mixture, followed by the last 3 noodles and the remaining 1 cup spinach mixture. Cover tightly with foil; reserve the remaining mozzarella.

Bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle the remaining mozzarella over the top. Bake until bubbling and the squash is tender, about 15 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before serving.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Schmeichy posted:

I've got some pinto beans soaking, any good suggestions for what to do with them? I was thinking fritters but I will entertain other recipe suggestions.

Fritters are always good, but if you're feeling ambitious, you should do a sort of cassoulet. You can find a classic french style recipe online easy enough, but my Appalachian family does something sort of like that, but with mountain flair.

1 lb sausage (Smoked sausage, fresh sausage, use whatever you like or have) cut into 1/2" rounds, or crumbled
1 1/2 lb chicken thighs (if on the bone, 1 lb if boneless)

Oil or Fat (lard if you've got it)

1 lb dried beans
2 Quarts UNSALTED broth*

1/4 lb of diced bacon
1 large onion, diced
2 ribs of celery, diced
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp dried yellow mustard
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp gound white pepper
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
3 bay leaves
3 minced garlic cloves

Salt

1 can (6oz) of tomato paste
1 can (12 or 14oz) Crushed Tomato, unsalted

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup buttermilk (or just whisk a tablespoon of cider vinegar into the milk 5 minutes before starting)
3 Tbs melted butter
1 egg + 1 yolk - beaten

1 big skillet
1 Dutch Oven with lid(5 qt at least)
Small mixing bowl
Medium mixing bowl
Large mixing bowl
Oven preheated to 375

1) Soak the beans overnight, drain and rinse the next evening
2) In the dutch oven, start by adding in the bacon (if that was your option) and rendering it out to get some fat in the bottom.
3) Toss in the onion and celery, and work it with a wooden spoon until the onion starts to caramelize just a little, then add in the garlic and work it until it smells nice.
4) Dump in the beans, and toss them quickly with the vegetables and bacon
5) Pour in broth until the beans are covered by 1/2" of liquid - DO NOT use all the broth if you don't need to.
6) Stir in the rest of the spices listed.
6) Bring the soup beans to a boil, then cut back to a fast simmer. Let them go for at least an hour.
7) Top up the liquid with more broth, water, or beer as needed.
8) While you're waiting, melt a little lard or put a little oil in the skillet and brown up the sausage and chicken thighs. Set them aside.
9) Remove the bay leaves from the soup beans.
10) Ladle out a cup of the bean broth and whisk the tomato paste into it until it's smooth.
11) Pour the tomato paste/broth back into the pot, along with the can of crushed tomatoes. Stir until it's evenly distributed. Kill the heat on the beans.
12) Whisk together all the dry ingredients for the cornbread in the big mixing bowl. Whisk together all the wet ingredients in the medium bowl.
13) Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
14) Stir the sausage into the beans, then place the chicken thighs at regular intervals. Push them down with the spoon until they're suspended inside the beans.
15) With a spatula, carefully float the cornbread mix on top of the beans.
16) Cover the dutch oven and place into the oven.
17) Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the cover.
18) Continue to bake until the cornbread is golden brown on top.
19) Remove and let cool for 20 minutes. Spoon into bowls to serve.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Weltlich posted:

Fritters are always good, but if you're feeling ambitious, you should do a sort of cassoulet. You can find a classic french style recipe online easy enough, but my Appalachian family does something sort of like that, but with mountain flair.

1 lb sausage (Smoked sausage, fresh sausage, use whatever you like or have) cut into 1/2" rounds, or crumbled
1 1/2 lb chicken thighs (if on the bone, 1 lb if boneless)

Oil or Fat (lard if you've got it)

1 lb dried beans
2 Quarts UNSALTED broth*

1/4 lb of diced bacon
1 large onion, diced
2 ribs of celery, diced
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp dried yellow mustard
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp gound white pepper
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
3 bay leaves
3 minced garlic cloves

Salt

1 can (6oz) of tomato paste
1 can (12 or 14oz) Crushed Tomato, unsalted

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup buttermilk (or just whisk a tablespoon of cider vinegar into the milk 5 minutes before starting)
3 Tbs melted butter
1 egg + 1 yolk - beaten

1 big skillet
1 Dutch Oven with lid(5 qt at least)
Small mixing bowl
Medium mixing bowl
Large mixing bowl
Oven preheated to 375

1) Soak the beans overnight, drain and rinse the next evening
2) In the dutch oven, start by adding in the bacon (if that was your option) and rendering it out to get some fat in the bottom.
3) Toss in the onion and celery, and work it with a wooden spoon until the onion starts to caramelize just a little, then add in the garlic and work it until it smells nice.
4) Dump in the beans, and toss them quickly with the vegetables and bacon
5) Pour in broth until the beans are covered by 1/2" of liquid - DO NOT use all the broth if you don't need to.
6) Stir in the rest of the spices listed.
6) Bring the soup beans to a boil, then cut back to a fast simmer. Let them go for at least an hour.
7) Top up the liquid with more broth, water, or beer as needed.
8) While you're waiting, melt a little lard or put a little oil in the skillet and brown up the sausage and chicken thighs. Set them aside.
9) Remove the bay leaves from the soup beans.
10) Ladle out a cup of the bean broth and whisk the tomato paste into it until it's smooth.
11) Pour the tomato paste/broth back into the pot, along with the can of crushed tomatoes. Stir until it's evenly distributed. Kill the heat on the beans.
12) Whisk together all the dry ingredients for the cornbread in the big mixing bowl. Whisk together all the wet ingredients in the medium bowl.
13) Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
14) Stir the sausage into the beans, then place the chicken thighs at regular intervals. Push them down with the spoon until they're suspended inside the beans.
15) With a spatula, carefully float the cornbread mix on top of the beans.
16) Cover the dutch oven and place into the oven.
17) Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the cover.
18) Continue to bake until the cornbread is golden brown on top.
19) Remove and let cool for 20 minutes. Spoon into bowls to serve.

Thanks for this recipe. Actual cassoulet always looks good but has ingredients I don't normally keep on hand, this does!

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Schmeichy posted:

Frijoles charros

Edit: added link

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I bought grains of paradise, cubeb peppers and long peppercorns to use in a tepache recipe. Is there something else I can use these spices for? I’m running out of room

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Steve Yun posted:

I bought grains of paradise, cubeb peppers and long peppercorns to use in a tepache recipe. Is there something else I can use these spices for? I’m running out of room

Those would make a really good shakshuka masala.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Steve Yun posted:

Buy a tray to set on top of the bottom row, put spices on top. Pull out tray to gain access to bottom spices. If you want to get fancy, make it two full-extension drawers instead.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Steve Yun posted:

I'd put the grains of paradise in a good pepper grinder and use them to top dress eggs, potatoes, or rice.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

You could make a version of the Powder Fort, a spice mix from the Middle Ages. tl;dr version - Powder Fort was the "strong" spice mix that was common in European cuisine between the 1100's to the 1400's, and was used in sweet and savory dishes alike.

1 part cubeb (ground)
1 part grain of paradise (ground)
1 part long peppercorn (ground)
1/2 part cinnamon (ground)
1/4 part ginger (powdered)
1/16 part clove (ground)

I've used it, along with some salt as a rub for beef, pork, and lamb before roasting, all to good effect. It's great in eggs. I've also used it in cookies, baklava, and pies (apple and sweet potato).

One of my favorite things to do with it is a chicken and fruit stew, a pound and a half of chicken thighs, rubbed in the Powder Fort then browned with a chopped white onion. Deglaze the pot with a cup of white wine or sherry. Alongside the chicken, onions and wine, add:

one chopped Granny Smith type apple (hard and tart)
3/4 cup of dried apricots
four cloves of minced garlic
one stalk of chopped celery
three chopped carrots
two more teaspoons of the Powder Fort
one tsp of celery seed
cup and a half of chicken stock

Cover and let that stew together at a low simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours, adding a little water every half hour if needed. Then add in a chopped sweet and aromatics apple (like Fuji, Braeburn, Gala, etc) and let it cook for another 10 minutes. Serve over rice, cous cous, bulgur, barley, etc.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Attempt number 2: banana, broccoli, carrot, cauliflower, grapes, and oat milk.

Good news: it wasn't tasteless
Bad news: it tasted godawful, nearly vommed.

The adventure continues..

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jaded Burnout posted:

Attempt number 2: banana, broccoli, carrot, cauliflower, grapes, and oat milk.

Good news: it wasn't tasteless
Bad news: it tasted godawful, nearly vommed.

The adventure continues..

You just trying to make a good smoothie?

What worked for me:

•As much spinach as I can grab with one hand for my green. It's got way less flavor than kale or broccoli. I *think* it will get bitter if you let it sit for a few hours, at least in my experience
•Frozen fruit, pineapple, mango, etc
•Banana always good
•Tablespoon (or two?) of chia seed. Adds protein and other good stuff, also a natural thickener in case your not drinking it right away but still want it thikkk.
•2 scoops of vanilla protein powder. Seems like a cheat but the flavor tends to behave well with everything else and it gives you the protein that you need
•Handful of ice cubes

I think this made enough for two nice size servings.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Throw some okra in that bad boy.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You just trying to make a good smoothie?

I'm trying to make a palatable (to me, a green-thing disliker) smoothie with as much veg as I can reasonably cram into it.

What worked for me:

•As much spinach as I can grab with one hand for my green. It's got way less flavor than kale or broccoli. I *think* it will get bitter if you let it sit for a few hours, at least in my experience
•Frozen fruit, pineapple, mango, etc
•Banana always good
•Tablespoon (or two?) of chia seed. Adds protein and other good stuff, also a natural thickener in case your not drinking it right away but still want it thikkk.
•2 scoops of vanilla protein powder. Seems like a cheat but the flavor tends to behave well with everything else and it gives you the protein that you need
•Handful of ice cubes

I think this made enough for two nice size servings.

I'll borrow from this, thanks :)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Ever try Malabar spinach? It tastes sorta like a milder form of spinach (which it's not actually related to). I don't know how it looks from the standpoint of min/maxing micronutrients or whatever if you're worried about that. But I'll throw it out there anyway because it's one of those leafy greens that's consumed a lot in Africa, India, Asia, and the Pacific but I don't see it discussed much on the English-speaking internet.

You probably won't find it in the produce section of the corner store but Asian and Indian markets often have it. It's also easy as gently caress to grow in a backyard garden unless you're in a cold climate. I planted some three or four years ago and the original vine is still alive and it's propagated itself well enough that I pull up a few volunteer seedlings every season.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Is there such a thing as a tall cake carrier? I bake fancy-rear end cakes for friends' birthdays (who usually have parties at bars or the like) and can't find one that's taller than about 8" inside. I can't figure out where to look for a taller cake carrier, or if they even exist. If not I'm going to need to figure out some annoying way to safely take a giant cake in a Lyft without disaster, so I suppose I'd also accept suggestions for how to do that.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm trying to make a palatable (to me, a green-thing disliker) smoothie with as much veg as I can reasonably cram into it.

Here's my favorite green smoothie:

Very large handful of spinach (like Flash said)
5 sprigs parsley, big stems removed
1/2 lemon with pulp but no rind
1 small apple
1 small banana
1-2 inches of a peeled cucumber
2 tablespoons flax seed (crushed if you've got 'em, but the crushed ones go rancid quickly so I usually only keep whole seed on hand)
1 cup water
5 ice cubes
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger, optional

I can say with all honesty that this is very tasty.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

legendof posted:

Is there such a thing as a tall cake carrier? I bake fancy-rear end cakes for friends' birthdays (who usually have parties at bars or the like) and can't find one that's taller than about 8" inside. I can't figure out where to look for a taller cake carrier, or if they even exist. If not I'm going to need to figure out some annoying way to safely take a giant cake in a Lyft without disaster, so I suppose I'd also accept suggestions for how to do that.

You might have luck with a “cupcake carrier”. The round ones have three removable stacking racks inside them so you can have tiers of cupcakes, but pop those out and it’s just a tall cake carrier. They can be on the narrow side though, so check the measurements to see if they’ll work for you.

There’s also a tall cardboard box, top flaps cut off, bottom flaps taped together, inverted over your cake. Try toothpicks or barbecue skewers inserted into the icing to keep the sides of the box from bumping your cake. It’s still going to be precarious in a Lyft, but it should help.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

TofuDiva posted:

1 small apple
1 small banana
2 tablespoons flax seed (crushed if you've got 'em, but the crushed ones go rancid quickly so I usually only keep whole seed on hand)
1 cup water
5 ice cubes

This does sound super tasty, but...

Have you weighed those ingredients out? As much spinach as I can cram into one hand, and 5 sprigs of parsley with stems removed sounds like about maybe 20-25 grams, which would make this something like 4% actually green.

I think the OP said they need these for health reasons, not trying to pickup a few extra trace minerals while drinking an apple and a banana.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

legendof posted:

Depending upon how tall it needs to be, you might check for vintage cake carriers on ebay. I have a tin one from the 1940's that is 14 inches tall, and Tupperware used to make them in varying heights. You can also get tall cardboard cake boxes (Amazon has them). Some hatboxes are tall enough too.

I have also used a 5-gallon plastic beer brewing bucket for really tall things (e.g. a croquembouche). If you put the cake plate on the lid, you can lower the bucket over it and seal it. It might get you some funny looks if you carry an upside-down beer bucket into a bar, though.

Eta that picnic coolers (styrofoam or Coleman-type) work also

TofuDiva fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 9, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TofuDiva posted:

1 small apple
1 small banana
1 cup water
5 ice cubes

Doom Rooster posted:

This does sound super tasty, but...

Have you weighed those ingredients out? As much spinach as I can cram into one hand, and 5 sprigs of parsley with stems removed sounds like about maybe 20-25 grams, which would make this something like 4% actually green.

I think the OP said they need these for health reasons, not trying to pickup a few extra trace minerals while drinking an apple and a banana.

OK so I did a modified version of this, and we got closer. Perhaps y'all can suggest some tweaks.

Half a banana, half an apple, shitloads of spinach, parsley *with* stems, water, ice, chunk o' lemon, tbsp of chia & flax seed mix.

Certainly very green.

Issues:
- Spongy texture, maybe I need to stop using banana?
- Strong smell of cut grass
- Powerful cold hit on upper-back of palate, maybe ingredients already too cold to need ice

Got most of the way through it, but not quite all the way.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Jaded Burnout posted:

OK so I did a modified version of this, and we got closer. Perhaps y'all can suggest some tweaks.

Half a banana, half an apple, shitloads of spinach, parsley *with* stems, water, ice, chunk o' lemon, tbsp of chia & flax seed mix.

Certainly very green.

Issues:
- Powerful cold hit on upper-back of palate, maybe ingredients already too cold to need ice

The cut grass smell is all coming from the parsley. If you don’t like it, I’d cut it entirely.

The ice is there for watering down the flavor and also body and is going to be frigid. If you wanna have it be a little less arctic, cut down on the ice, but add a little more water and chia/flax mix to thicken back up. EDIT: If there’s a spongey, not just thick texture, that’s the chia. Try just replacing some ice with water, as you may already have enough thickening for your liking.

I’d actually suggest trying basil seeds as well for a tiny bit of flavor, but also more nutrients and a bunch of thickening power. Have never used them myself, but theoretically should be great.

The ginger that Diva’s original recipe calls for is important. It will go a long way to brighten the flavor of the whole thing, countering the heavy earthiness from spinach/banana.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

The cut grass smell is all coming from the parsley. If you don’t like it, I’d cut it entirely.

The ice is there for watering down the flavor and also body and is going to be frigid. If you wanna have it be a little less arctic, cut down on the ice, but add a little more water and chia/flax mix to thicken back up. EDIT: If there’s a spongey, not just thick texture, that’s the chia. Try just replacing some ice with water, as you may already have enough thickening for your liking.

I’d actually suggest trying basil seeds as well for a tiny bit of flavor, but also more nutrients and a bunch of thickening power. Have never used them myself, but theoretically should be great.

The ginger that Diva’s original recipe calls for is important. It will go a long way to brighten the flavor of the whole thing, countering the heavy earthiness from spinach/banana.

Cool. I did pick up the ginger & cucumber but I was already flaunting the max fill line on the container. I'll modify and try again.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Jaded Burnout posted:

Cool. I did pick up the ginger & cucumber but I was already flaunting the max fill line on the container. I'll modify and try again.

Cucumber is good, but probably take off a good bit of the peel, or taste it first. The peel can be VERY astringent, especially when pulverized.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Jaded Burnout posted:

Certainly very green.

Issues:

Glad you're getting closer! I think the thing with any of these is to end up with something that is healthful and that you'll actually consume and be willing to make again, and you'll always be able to add more of the green stuff as you get used to it, if you want to. With the parsley, one thing I found out is that freshness makes a huge, huge difference. Really fresh parsley doesn't have as much of the grassy or bitter notes; when freshly picked, I find that it is snackable by itself. I eventually ended up growing my own in a little Aerogarden for that reason.

Also in my recipe, "peeled" cucumber definitely means take the peel off. I forget sometimes that "peeled" can mean opposite things to different people.

Also, if you ever happen across swiss chard in the market, give it a try - it's a bit milder even than spinach, and it packs the same nutritional wallop.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Make more tepache, Steve. And then see if you can mull it for a lovely autumn drink.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Like, warmed up in a pot with holiday spices?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah. Why not.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I have a "finger foods" themed office potluck lunch coming up and very rarely gently caress around with stuff approaching finger foods.

Trying to think of a good option, I came back to fond memories of my mom's crock pot bacon-wrapped lil smokies smothered in bbq sauce. I could make the standard, but does anyone have any tips or tricks to differentiate something like that from the same old cocktail weenies?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Has anybody here dabbled with thickeners in cobbler? I find mine are too runny and the standard tricks affect the flavor or don't work to the level I want. There's a barbecue place I passed through today whose cobbler gelled on the sides of the bowl like it was Jello, and I'm starting to wonder if they're using gelatin. I've tried cornstarch and getting to the level I want affects the flavor. Flour affects the flavor even sooner before it thickens. I've tried pectin and not had much success. For example, I used that with a 9x13 for some blueberry cobbler I mashed up beforehand as well as with trying to do a blueberry pie and neither really tightened up like I wanted.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Power of Pecota posted:

I have a "finger foods" themed office potluck lunch coming up and very rarely gently caress around with stuff approaching finger foods.

Trying to think of a good option, I came back to fond memories of my mom's crock pot bacon-wrapped lil smokies smothered in bbq sauce. I could make the standard, but does anyone have any tips or tricks to differentiate something like that from the same old cocktail weenies?

Add some hot pepper jelly.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Has anybody here dabbled with thickeners in cobbler? I find mine are too runny and the standard tricks affect the flavor or don't work to the level I want. There's a barbecue place I passed through today whose cobbler gelled on the sides of the bowl like it was Jello, and I'm starting to wonder if they're using gelatin. I've tried cornstarch and getting to the level I want affects the flavor. Flour affects the flavor even sooner before it thickens. I've tried pectin and not had much success. For example, I used that with a 9x13 for some blueberry cobbler I mashed up beforehand as well as with trying to do a blueberry pie and neither really tightened up like I wanted.

I like to use a mixture of gelatin and potato starch. I always use potato starch over corn starch; substitute 3:2 for equivalent thickening power, but it's less gummy. You can use cornstarch instead.

It's not a bad idea to make a "gravy" out of starch and fruit juice, then use that to bind the fruit. That, combined with the liquid expressed from the fruit, will give you a picture perfect cobbler or pie.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 11, 2019

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Tapioca gives an excellent gel like you wouldn’t believe

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Power of Pecota posted:

I had a coworker who brought in Chorizo stuffed dates, wrap in bacon and bake at 350. You may need to turn them over. They were really good!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Have you tried ClearJel? It is essentially cornstarch that's been treated with a bit of acid, and that treatment makes it really good for setting fruit pies and cobblers, even ones with acidic fruits that other thickeners can't handle. It doesn't affect the flavor, and it stays really clear.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

TofuDiva posted:

Have you tried ClearJel? It is essentially cornstarch that's been treated with a bit of acid, and that treatment makes it really good for setting fruit pies and cobblers, even ones with acidic fruits that other thickeners can't handle. It doesn't affect the flavor, and it stays really clear.

Seconding this. Pectin and Gelatin are great for cold/room temp applications, but they both tend to go liquid in warm stuff. ClearJel or cornstarch will set up and thicken even in hot foods.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Add some hot pepper jelly.

I like to use a mixture of gelatin and potato starch. I always use potato starch over corn starch; substitute 3:2 for equivalent thickening power, but it's less gummy. You can use cornstarch instead.

It's not a bad idea to make a "gravy" out of starch and fruit juice, then use that to bind the fruit. That, combined with the liquid expressed from the fruit, will give you a picture perfect cobbler or pie.

Generally I like to precook my fillings a little bit to get them to start to break down. A lot of that comes from liking to stuff up my pies without an overstuffed crust baking in-place and causing an air pocket. In those cases, I'll decant some of the liquid and mix it with the thickener before introducing it back. I think this has been generally working okay. Just looking this up now, it looks like potato starch is good for a last-minute addition but might even break down and go away if cooked for awhile like in a bake (?).

I'm fussing over gelatin because I am regularly feeding a guest vegetarian and wanted to avoid relying on it. I wonder how the vegan stuff works. I actually already have a little sack of food-grade agar that I tap into when I make glazes that I can try to work with too as a science project...

TofuDiva posted:

Have you tried ClearJel?
I had never even heard of it! Is that something that is in a typical supermarket baking aisle or do I need to nab it online? I'd want to try it.

coolanimedad posted:

Tapioca gives an excellent gel like you wouldn't believe
I got a sack of this recently and it was next on my list to try. Reading more into, it's supposed to particular good for getting a clear gel in fruit stuff.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Generally I like to precook my fillings a little bit to get them to start to break down. A lot of that comes from liking to stuff up my pies without an overstuffed crust baking in-place and causing an air pocket. In those cases, I'll decant some of the liquid and mix it with the thickener before introducing it back. I think this has been generally working okay. Just looking this up now, it looks like potato starch is good for a last-minute addition but might even break down and go away if cooked for awhile like in a bake (?).

I'm fussing over gelatin because I am regularly feeding a guest vegetarian and wanted to avoid relying on it. I wonder how the vegan stuff works. I actually already have a little sack of food-grade agar that I tap into when I make glazes that I can try to work with too as a science project...

I had never even heard of it! Is that something that is in a typical supermarket baking aisle or do I need to nab it online? I'd want to try it.

I got a sack of this recently and it was next on my list to try. Reading more into, it's supposed to particular good for getting a clear gel in fruit stuff.

For apples at least, I can recommend macerating for an hour or two, then draining them. You end up with this great texture because the sugar breaks down the cells in ways that heat does not. The gravy to bind ends up giving it this amazing slightly gooey texture.

Basically crib this technique: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/bas-best-deep-dish-apple-pie

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

For apples at least, I can recommend macerating for an hour or two, then draining them.
I see what you're getting at, but I wanted to write that you just about gave me a heart attack thinking about draining them--like you'd let all those juices go down the drain--but that's not what was in the article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I see what you're getting at, but I wanted to write that you just about gave me a heart attack thinking about draining them--like you'd let all those juices go down the drain--but that's not what was in the article.

haha yeah that stuff is pure flavor, definitely don't throw it away.