Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
It was the first megaman crossover that they used to reboot the comic
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Notably Charmy got stuck in one and came out literally retarded, in a really hamfisted way to reconcile their version(who was a teenager) with Sega's version(who is like 6), at least until they retconned everything after the second Mega Man crossover

come on, please don't use that word.

But regardless, Ian said he shouldn't have done it that way and that what he had happen to Charmy was a mistake.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Keeping in mind that he was basically in charge of putting out the eternal tire fire that was Penders’, leavings one screwup like that was probably inevitable.

That said one has to laugh how he’s the first non bg character casualty of the outbreak.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ConanThe3rd posted:

Keeping in mind that he was basically in charge of putting out the eternal tire fire that was Penders’, leavings one screwup like that was probably inevitable.

That said one has to laugh how he’s the first non bg character casualty of the outbreak.

Which automatically takes any real sting out of it, the moment they had a Sega character get infected it became obvious that it will get undone

Basically they were kinda screwed in making anyone really care about this arc either way, cause if they had kept it to just background characters and OG characters sure they could have higher stakes but no one really gives a poo poo yet about any of them except maybe Tangle since the comic has only been going for a year, and there was no way that Sega would let anything permanent happen to any of their characters either

Basically Ian should have waited another year or two before doing this sort of arc to give people more time to give a poo poo about the non Sega characters so that there could be some real tension

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
This sort of thing is too widespread to not be undone anyway, the only way it could become the new status quo is if it were the final story of the comic series.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The new issue is out and Cream the Rabbit shows up at last.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Read the new issue, things are still steadily moving toward a climactic moment of Sonic's infection finally getting the better of him. I doubt it will, but they're doing a fine job of acting like it could.

I wonder how Gemerl is going to dealt with seeing as the virus can't infect him. Either a mutation makes it so it does, or he just gets torn apart by a mob of zombots.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I was about to ask if there are any TPBs out but I see a few already on Comixology. Would you all recommend maybe picking up the first 2 volumes to see how I like it? I've gotten a weird urge to read these new ones after hearing good about them.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Good Listener posted:

I was about to ask if there are any TPBs out but I see a few already on Comixology. Would you all recommend maybe picking up the first 2 volumes to see how I like it? I've gotten a weird urge to read these new ones after hearing good about them.

Yeah, go ahead, it's good stuff if you like the characters/universe.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Good Listener posted:

If the sale's still on, absolutely. If it's ended, I'd still say yes if you're at all interested in Sonic. I still miss the Knothole Freedom Fighters, but the new series has been pretty good so far.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0wpxmfHLeE&t=2782s

So according to the bumblekast the zombot saga had it's origins in plans for Archie (also the Tangle & Whisper mini takes place between issues 16 and 17)

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
New issue's out today. Omega seems a little more 'robot' and less prone to joking than before, but it's only his first appearance in the new series.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man Shadow you should not be so overly proud.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Even drawn by a proper artist, it's still sort of horrifying.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Saoshyant posted:

Even drawn by a proper artist, it's still sort of horrifying.

There is no saving that design from looking like a monstrosity.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Surprised no one's talking about the tangle and whisper mini, given that it's been out for a week

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Surprised no one's talking about the tangle and whisper mini, given that it's been out for a week

Honestly, there wasn't much to it. I realize its supposed to set up their new adventures, but without any new insights into either character or their relationship its just dull.

That, and I find imposter hero storylines incredibly boring without some kind of twist or examination of the character. Check out "The Greatest Enemy in History" story from Mega Man Megamix for a good example of what I mean.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it felt really "meh" to me.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Agent Rush posted:

Honestly, there wasn't much to it. I realize its supposed to set up their new adventures, but without any new insights into either character or their relationship its just dull.

That, and I find imposter hero storylines incredibly boring without some kind of twist or examination of the character. Check out "The Greatest Enemy in History" story from Mega Man Megamix for a good example of what I mean.

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, it felt really "meh" to me.

Kinda ironic seeing these opinions when for people who are less keen on IDW sonic, the first issue of the mini was considered a breath of fresh air

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Kinda ironic seeing these opinions when for people who are less keen on IDW sonic, the first issue of the mini was considered a breath of fresh air

Huh, really? Who's saying that, and what were their complaints with the main comic? Most of what I've seen has been pretty positive regarding the new stories, aside from a few people (like me :() saying they missed the Freedom Fighters. This is actual curiosity, not trying to throw any kind of shade on anyone who doesn't like the new comics.

As for the mini, I just think this first issue doesn't bring anything new compared to the Tangle & Whisper story from the annual earlier this year which I enjoyed.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Agent Rush posted:

Huh, really? Who's saying that, and what were their complaints with the main comic? Most of what I've seen has been pretty positive regarding the new stories, aside from a few people (like me :() saying they missed the Freedom Fighters. This is actual curiosity, not trying to throw any kind of shade on anyone who doesn't like the new comics.

As for the mini, I just think this first issue doesn't bring anything new compared to the Tangle & Whisper story from the annual earlier this year which I enjoyed.

Generally the people complaining about the comic (at least those who are actually reasonable people rather than shitstiring Penders fanboys) are primarily complaining about the pacing.

Also they're generally found in the /sthg/ threads on 4chan's /vg/ board (alongside poo poo stirrers that are best left ignored), though there's a few on tumblr as well

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Agent Rush posted:

Bingo, for the first few pages I thought they were reprinting the annual story (look I don't have perfect recall okay) and was confused until later. I still enjoyed it, just waiting on that "new" feel though.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Generally the people complaining about the comic (at least those who are actually reasonable people rather than shitstiring Penders fanboys) are primarily complaining about the pacing.

Also they're generally found in the /sthg/ threads on 4chan's /vg/ board (alongside poo poo stirrers that are best left ignored), though there's a few on tumblr as well

Ah, that explains why I haven't seen anything before. I can see having a problem with pacing, especially now with last week's issue ending with Tails developing a cure for the Metal Virus but losing the hard drive it was on to a Zombot attack. Apparently we'll get the story of what happened to Restoration HQ in the next issue later this month, hopefully the story moves ahead as well and the whole issue isn't just a 'meanwhile...'.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I haven't had the chance to read the last two issues, but considering this thread is dead, I'm going to assume not much happened.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

I haven't had the chance to read the last two issues, but considering this thread is dead, I'm going to assume not much happened.

This whole arc has basically been filler, which is a pretty horrid thing considering how long it's been going for and how much longer it's probably going to last

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

drrockso20 posted:

This whole arc has basically been filler, which is a pretty horrid thing considering how long it's been going for and how much longer it's probably going to last

They made an arc like this into filler? Seriously?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It's a zombie story except there's a 100% guarantee everyone will be turned back to normal at the end with no major consequences. There are neat stuff but I don't think this arc was a good idea with the restrictions given, also doing it so early.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I have been finding it fun. Though it was probably a bit early.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Ian basically went "hmmm what do I do with year 2? Oh yeah that's right there was that zombie plot idea that I never had time to do at archie!"

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah I mean, it's enjoyable and wouldn't call it bad but it feels weird to do honestly.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ChaseSP posted:

It's a zombie story except there's a 100% guarantee everyone will be turned back to normal at the end with no major consequences. There are neat stuff but I don't think this arc was a good idea with the restrictions given, also doing it so early.

Exactly, this should have been 2, maybe 3 issues tops

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

drrockso20 posted:

Exactly, this should have been 2, maybe 3 issues tops

They generally try to do 4 issue arcs. Also I have no issue with this plot it's been fun so far.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

They generally try to do 4 issue arcs. Also I have no issue with this plot it's been fun so far.

:agreed:

Always down for a good zombie attack story. Although I think it might be more interesting if Sonic did get turned and everyone else had to fight him for a change. I guess they kiiiind of did that with Shadow but eh.

Plus I think it's clear at this point that if this arc's dragging, it's only so they can basically reintroduce every Sonic character into the new world that hadn't already been introduced.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 9, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Though on the recent issue. Man did Starline just make a huge mistake. He does not know that Eggman can't control the Zeti and has bad blood with them. He's effectively just handing an army over to Zavok by getting them involved.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Though on the recent issue. Man did Starline just make a huge mistake. He does not know that Eggman can't control the Zeti and has bad blood with them. He's effectively just handing an army over to Zavok by getting them involved.

On the one hand, I never much cared for the Deadly Six. On the other, maybe these kind of interactions are just what they need to become more interesting.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Agent Rush posted:

Ah, that explains why I haven't seen anything before. I can see having a problem with pacing, especially now with last week's issue ending with Tails developing a cure for the Metal Virus but losing the hard drive it was on to a Zombot attack. Apparently we'll get the story of what happened to Restoration HQ in the next issue later this month, hopefully the story moves ahead as well and the whole issue isn't just a 'meanwhile...'.

So the main book was only a 'meanwhile...' with the fall of Restoration HQ story, which is honestly pretty disappointing. On the other hand, the new issue of Tangle & Whisper goes into Whisper's backstory with the Diamond Cutters and is heading toward its climax pretty handily. It's turning out a lot better than I would have thought based on the first issue. The fact that it's not an impostor hero story makes it sit better with me.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Finally got the chance to read the last two three issues and I wasn't expecting to enjoy them from going by word on this thread, but turns I did like them quite a bit. The stakes keep getting higher, the issues dedicated to different events serve to give room to showcase different parts of the large cast, and while we all know the zombie apocalypse isn't going to stick, it's also not going to be solved in two or three issues, and I think that's for the better.

I'll be checking the last two issues of T&W as well.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Was the third issue of Sonic Megadrive finished and unpublished or how far along was it?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Nope. I think it was the first casualty of Sega pulling the license. Hard to tell though since they came out like five months apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Arbite posted:

Was the third issue of Sonic Megadrive finished and unpublished or how far along was it?

The third issue was published, it was the final issue that was the casualty.