Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Just watched into the fire and wtf thats B r y a n C r a n s t o n. Good they had someone with skills, that was a good scene.

For season 5, are there a few worth skipping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
You could try hunting the VHS releases of the show. There are plenty of listings on eBay, but it would take a while to gather the full series.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

sebmojo posted:

Just watched into the fire and wtf thats B r y a n C r a n s t o n. Good they had someone with skills, that was a good scene.

Ericsson :smith:

Don’t skip anything. As painful as it seems , there’s still good things woven in.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Delthalaz posted:

Hiya thread- I'm watching Babylon 5 for the very first time and know nothing about the show other than it has a few recognizable costumes, some similarities to DS9, and a war with the "shadows" (spooky!). I'm going through this view order right here: http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countries/master/eplist.html

Just watched In the Beginning and The Gathering, getting read to start on season 1. I started Midnight on the Firing Line on Amazon Prime when I noticed some aspect ratio weirdness and did a little googling. Is there any recommended way of watching the show where the special effects aren't cropped and zoomed in? I'm also a little skeptical of wide screen since it wasn't shown that way on tv, but whatever.

Also why is the Centauri Republic apparently ruled by an emperor? It's a republic ffs.

I'm roughly a month ahead of you and halfway through Season 2. It took no time once I hit Season 2 to realize that all of the difficulty of getting through Season 1 was WORTH EVERY MINUTE, even the worst of the worst. So slog through it and my god does it pay off, even only through Season 2. The world and plot feels much fuller having experienced Season 1 totally. I think all of the movement in Season 2 would have been slightly cheapened had I skipped over the 'monster-of-the-week' and the just rough episodes.

I've also been watching on Amazon prime, and the quality gets better after Season 1 also, but not perfect. I had gone to Sweden for some copies that looked better but couldn't get any that would play properly on my Plex/AppleTV setup so went back to Prime.

I figure that most people watched this show in 4:3 Standard Def on a 20" TV on top of a broken down cabinet television that has been there since the late 70s so I can suffer a little hokey CGI.

Get over the visuals, they're not why you're here.

Lastly, I have really enjoyed listening to two podcasts while watching through the episodes. Check them out to enhance the experience.

- The Name of the Pod (of which a goon is a host)
- The Audio Guide to Babylon 5

Be seeing you.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

sebmojo posted:

Nah. The storyline people hate in 5 doesn't actually take up that much time in the episodes. The first time I rewatched after hearing people bitch about it for so long I was surprised how minimal it is. If you mashed it all together it'd only be like three full eps worth of stuff, maybe four?

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Vavrek posted:

Hi! We'll go back to spoiler-tagging even things about Season 1. On non-cropped CGI: Time travel. I don't think it's available with original 4:3 CGI shots anywhere. Maybe on VHS. On widescreen: It was shot originally in widescreen, so it doesn't really detract anything, just usually add some empty space around the characters. I'm neutral on it.

Regarding the great Centauri Republic, well. Sometimes republics have emperors, y'know?

Technically, there's also the laserdisc releases. (which I am slowly getting, as and when I can find them cheap) They are all 4:3, so none of the busted CGI, with resolution not far off the DVDs.

The main issue (aside from laserdisc in general), is that they didn't release all of B5. They released all of S1 and S5, half of S2, none of S3 and the first 6 eps of S4. Mark my words, however. I will have Sleeping in Light on LD one day

Adaptabullshit posted:

You could try hunting the VHS releases of the show. There are plenty of listings on eBay, but it would take a while to gather the full series.

I saw someone in the UK selling all 5 seasons on VHS about a month back for ~£10. It was collect only from nearby. I gotta admit, I do regret not getting all of that. I could have worried where to put it later.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There was someone in this very thread who had a bunch of VHS copies, recorded off broadcast.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

CainFortea posted:

There was someone in this very thread who had a bunch of VHS copies, recorded off broadcast.

I do. Anyone want em? I’ll send em to you.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

TraderStav posted:

I'm roughly a month ahead of you and halfway through Season 2. It took no time once I hit Season 2 to realize that all of the difficulty of getting through Season 1 was WORTH EVERY MINUTE, even the worst of the worst. So slog through it and my god does it pay off, even only through Season 2. The world and plot feels much fuller having experienced Season 1 totally. I think all of the movement in Season 2 would have been slightly cheapened had I skipped over the 'monster-of-the-week' and the just rough episodes.

I've also been watching on Amazon prime, and the quality gets better after Season 1 also, but not perfect. I had gone to Sweden for some copies that looked better but couldn't get any that would play properly on my Plex/AppleTV setup so went back to Prime.

I figure that most people watched this show in 4:3 Standard Def on a 20" TV on top of a broken down cabinet television that has been there since the late 70s so I can suffer a little hokey CGI.

Get over the visuals, they're not why you're here.

Lastly, I have really enjoyed listening to two podcasts while watching through the episodes. Check them out to enhance the experience.

- The Name of the Pod (of which a goon is a host)
- The Audio Guide to Babylon 5

Be seeing you.

Good to know Season 2 is a big step up!

Regarding aspect ratio, I'm hearing Vudu has Babylon 5 in the original aspect ratio, but I'm not sure about the quality.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CainFortea posted:

I used to, with the commercial breaks snipped to boot, but they're long gone I'm afraid.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

TraderStav posted:

That was an excellent moment.

I have so many thoughts about that episode but cannot process them quick enough to get down. G'kar was masterful. Everything was just perfectly laid out and then executed.

And it's only S02E09!

Anyone who stalls out in S1 is advised to skip forward to the Coming of Shadows as an alternative to quitting. It's masterful hour of television, and should leave them motivated to get through S1.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Just finished Soul Hunter!

Do they spell "security" differently in the future?

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
One of my housemates just found the Psi-Corps and Centauri trilogies in hardcover in very good condition at a thrift store for $6 each.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

See-to ree-cho mal-to-ray.

Finally started my rewatch, and while there's a lot of the early show to cringe about, the soul hunter's a real wild premise to pull. Not just some weird sci-fi thing, but a weird religious sci-fi thing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

One of my housemates just found the Psi-Corps and Centauri trilogies in hardcover in very good condition at a thrift store for $6 each.

:captainpop:

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

SlothfulCobra posted:

Not just some weird sci-fi thing, but a weird religious sci-fi thing.

yeah dude it is cool as heck

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Delthalaz posted:

Just finished Soul Hunter!

Do they spell "security" differently in the future?

I always wondered why they used odd font. I mean, I get that it's ~the future~ or whatever, but that poo poo should be easily legible to the thousands/millions of visitors from multiple worlds that you get.

Unless it's stylized, like the Zocalo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, they should have used something nice and legible, like the LCARS font

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

B5 makes a couple of design choices for no apparent reason other than just to look extra sci-fi. The doors, for example. They have those weird teeth on them instead of just being plain ol' rectangles.

I think it's a little more reasonable to have them pivot up instead of sliding off to the side, but there's still the lingering question of why exactly you need to reinvent the door for space rather than just using what has worked terrestrially.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I think the teeth thing is just to make it look more like an airlock door. You'd imagine a pressure door would have extra bits and bobs to lock it harder, so they did.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

It was the 80s - 90s. Using the Stop font was pretty much required in sci-fi during that time.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Talking down an alien bioweapon is cool, but the bizarre subplot where all the normal cast talk down to a reporter and complain about how all the news media is just determined to make them look bad was uncomfortable.

Oh neat the next episode opens with Garibaldi detaining a space-sikh. Sometimes this show just makes me feel weird. But then there's G'kar chowin' down on a whole pig's head, that's nice.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

Talking down an alien bioweapon is cool, but the bizarre subplot where all the normal cast talk down to a reporter and complain about how all the news media is just determined to make them look bad was uncomfortable.

This was a very normal feeling in the military when this was made. Since media representation of your average enlisted was someone too stupid to get a real job, and only barely kept from pissing indoors.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Delthalaz posted:

Hiya thread- I'm watching Babylon 5 for the very first time and know nothing about the show other than it has a few recognizable costumes, some similarities to DS9, and a war with the "shadows" (spooky!). I'm going through this view order right here: http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countries/master/eplist.html

Just watched In the Beginning and The Gathering, getting read to start on season 1. I started Midnight on the Firing Line on Amazon Prime when I noticed some aspect ratio weirdness and did a little googling. Is there any recommended way of watching the show where the special effects aren't cropped and zoomed in? I'm also a little skeptical of wide screen since it wasn't shown that way on tv, but whatever.

Also why is the Centauri Republic apparently ruled by an emperor? It's a republic ffs.

Oh noooooooooo

In the Beginning spoils like 50% of the show and shouldn't be watched until after season 3 (when it aired)

The best order imo is skip the gathering, watch the episodes in order and In the Beginning after season 3.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Pretty sure ITB aired on TNT after they picked up the order for season 5, didn't it? I remember it filling the time in between s4 and s5

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

hope and vaseline posted:

Pretty sure ITB aired on TNT after they picked up the order for season 5, didn't it? I remember it filling the time in between s4 and s5

Yes but it does spoil seasons 1-3 so....

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's long-term context with the latter. The majority of Babylon 5 builds on top of what you see as it goes, there's very little one-and-done moments beyond season 1.

CainFortea posted:

I think the teeth thing is just to make it look more like an airlock door. You'd imagine a pressure door would have extra bits and bobs to lock it harder, so they did.

That's my take too. You don't just stop with big heavy doors at the outer layer of a station, you have them everywhere in case the worst happens.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Blindeye posted:

Oh noooooooooo

In the Beginning spoils like 50% of the show and shouldn't be watched until after season 3 (when it aired)

The best order imo is skip the gathering, watch the episodes in order and In the Beginning after season 3.

It’s okay, I don’t feel particularly spoiled. The movie was kind of a mess though.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Delthalaz posted:

It’s okay, I don’t feel particularly spoiled. The movie was kind of a mess though.

It feels like more of a mess if you haven't seen the first few seasons. Even though it is technically a prequel, it builds on what you know already, rather than being a stand alone thing.

I mean I don't think it'll destroy your enjoyment of the series or anything, I just always found it weird when people suggest seeing it first even though it wasn't meant to be viewed chronologically.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Didn't Straczynski say once on Usenet that he felt ItB would be a pretty ideal introduction to the series, despite the spoilers?

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

He did indeed:

http://www.jmsnews.com/messages/message?id=9093

http://www.jmsnews.com/messages/message?id=8677

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

That's cool and all but I've seen too many people not grasp In The Beginning as well as those that waited and watched it later. I honestly think he's too close to his own work here to have the perspective of someone who knows absolutely nothing about the B5 universe.

If it works for some people, that's cool though.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
In the Beginning was probably a good intro to the show while it was airing, and you didn't really want to accept your friend's loan of three or four years of home-recorded VHS tapes. I think I saw it when I first was introduced to the show and just found it confusing.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

He said this as someone trying to promote both the movie and the newly airing reruns, so take it with a grain of salt.

Actually, just take everything he says with a grain of salt.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Best intro to the show is any random episode in Season 2, imo.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Season 2, episode 20

Oh, I don't think I like Londo anymore.

Friendship with Londo has ended
Friendship with G'Kar has begun

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's neat to read the Lurkers' guide and see JMS be more raw than I'm used to show people being. I guess the rest of the production people didn't see any danger in the internet and the series creator getting drawn a bit more than he should into forum arguments. It's still cool to learn about things like Spoo herding.

Weird that the Soul Hunter cop is the shot the opening uses to represent wanderers.

I know that The Gathering is really rough, the first season also starts pretty rough to begin with, so adding the pilot onto things further complicates the matter, and the bulk of the human cast is cycled out after the pilot anyways, but I think it's worth it for viewers to see G'kar at his absolute most sinister and sleazy to set the grounds for the later swapperoo. There's also things like how the story really wanted to imply that G'kar was going to kill Catherine Sakai to protect a sector that the Narn had their eyes on.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

SlothfulCobra posted:

G'kar at his absolute most sinister and sleazy to set the grounds for the later swapperoo. There's also things like how the story really wanted to imply that G'kar was going to kill Catherine Sakai to protect a sector that the Narn had their eyes on.

i always liked g'kar and thought it was weird how likeable they were making the evil space mans

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Rewatching S1, what comes across to me is that both Londo and G'kar come across as buffoons. Londo has a tragic and sympathetic angle ("open 9 to 5, Earth time"), while G'kar is a sex pest with more comedic lines ("These are Ambassador G'kar's quarters, this is Ambassador G'kar's meal ..."). They both seem funny and not to be taken too seriously. Then, the show keeps going.

S1, ending spoilers:
"You killed ten thousand Narns."
"I didn't know you cared."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vavrek posted:

Rewatching S1, what comes across to me is that both Londo and G'kar come across as buffoons. Londo has a tragic and sympathetic angle ("open 9 to 5, Earth time"), while G'kar is a sex pest with more comedic lines ("These are Ambassador G'kar's quarters, this is Ambassador G'kar's meal ..."). They both seem funny and not to be taken too seriously. Then, the show keeps going.

S1, ending spoilers:
"You killed ten thousand Narns."
"I didn't know you cared."

"Don't give away the Homeworld!"