Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

PJOmega posted:

Lightning
R
Sorcery
Add 3 damage to any target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Its oracle text is "Add DDD"

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

PJOmega posted:

Lightening
R
Sorcery
Choose one:
Target creature gets -0/-3 until end of turn
Target player loses 3 life
Target planeswalker loses 3 loyalty

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Not quite janky enough...

Cactrot posted:

Lightening
R
Sorcery
Choose one:
Place a -0/-3 counter on target creature, remove it at end of turn.
Target player loses 3 life
Target planeswalker loses 3 loyalty

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

What I like about this is that none of the modes actually work the same as doing damage.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Veil of Summer is a sweet card but it makes the existence of modern horizons increasingly arbitrary. this card is ludicrous! why is it standard legal? it's exactly the kind of nonsense "green counterspell" that people have been clamoring for since shadowmoor. its interaction with murderous rider, the most obviously printed-for-standard-card since the og hero's downfall, is horrendously unintuitive. why. :psyduck:

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ungulateman posted:

Veil of Summer is a sweet card but it makes the existence of modern horizons increasingly arbitrary. this card is ludicrous! why is it standard legal? it's exactly the kind of nonsense "green counterspell" that people have been clamoring for since shadowmoor. its interaction with murderous rider, the most obviously printed-for-standard-card since the og hero's downfall, is horrendously unintuitive. why. :psyduck:

What is unintuitive about it?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I'm assuming the whole "if the adventure fizzles due to the target getting hexproof, it's goes to the yard and you can't cast the creature"

Seems like a mistake you make once then it makes sense? I dunno

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ungulateman posted:

What’s unintuitive about it?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm assuming the whole "if the adventure fizzles due to the target getting hexproof, it's goes to the yard and you can't cast the creature"

Seems like a mistake you make once then it makes sense? I dunno

wait til they find out about the interaction between murderous rider and lucky clover with only one creature in play, they'll fuckin flip.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Lone Goat posted:

wait til they find out about the interaction between murderous rider and lucky clover with only one creature in play, they'll fuckin flip.

the copies resolve first. :smith:

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Its unintuitive because black should just be able to murder a green creature, and when you can’t and lose it feels bad.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Is it true that women make up 38% of the magic community, or is that a marketing strategy by wizards?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Nolgthorn posted:

Is it true that women make up 38% of the magic community, or is that a marketing strategy by wizards?

Its wishful thinking. WOTC is poo poo with data and I wouldn't trust any data they are flaunting.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

in what fuckin sad universe is a number that pathetically low wishful thinking or boasting

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

in what fuckin sad universe is a number that pathetically low wishful thinking or boasting

You’ll find that 38 is 38 points higher than 0.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Probably a lot of us playing Magic who never want to touch a store again.

Arena is a godsend btw.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

rabidsquid posted:

It's higher than whatever single digits they were stuck in for the first ~20 odd years of the game. But I guess it also depends on if by "community" you mean people who participate in some level of organized play or if you mean just anyone who has ever bought a few packs or a booster box and turned some cards sideways around the kitchen table.

Honestly WOTC should be making a huge push to get more women into MTG through Arena. The lack of chat interface and social network features cuts down dramatically on the amount of sexist bullshit and harassment anyone has to deal with. Even my wife is like "oh put that on the tablet so I can try it out" which is more interest than she's ever shown in MTG, ever.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i don't count people that just go to events because unless you think wizards has been lying about this for basically ever only a very small percentage of the player base go to FNM let alone tournaments.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

rabidsquid posted:

It doesn't seem pathetically low number by many gaming metrics. I would say that 38% would well above average for the genre. I would also say that its most likely bogus number because again, WOTC is bad with data. WOTC has gone through great lengths to make appearances look better for metagame health, I don't trust them to be truthful with this kind of data either.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Hellsau posted:

Yeah I watched that three times and was like, drat they missed the negative sex number by just a little bit.

This is why you never abandon what you're going to say.

Chain Lightning is a very good card name though.

Almost certain he was saying negative, because the slur didn't occur to me until reading on here. The maths is off though, since the rider has lifelink.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
That number is from external research groups they pay. It’s accurate. Most magic player never go into stores beyond buying some packs and leaving. The people you see at fnm and beyond are a very very tiny percentage of the overall player base

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

rabidsquid posted:

i don't count people that just go to events because unless you think wizards has been lying about this for basically ever only a very small percentage of the player base go to FNM let alone tournaments.

Lots of people do think they're lying about this, and that kitchen table players don't really exist. It's kinda sad.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

There are people at my work who play Magic and looked at me with a blank expression on their faces when I asked if they play Modern lol.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ItBreathes posted:

Lots of people do think they're lying about this, and that kitchen table players don't really exist. It's kinda sad.

thats sort of weird to me but because i am an old person i remember starting magic before the internet or organized play was even a thing at all. there was a time the only place i could buy magic cards was a christian book store (lol) so i don't really understand why anyone would be skeptical of people who just pick up loose packs wherever and play with friends at home

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure most people who play magic are kitchen table players. We are simply biased to think that most are enfranchised because that's who we associate with most and most people who go to LGSs are enfranchised as well. Your average Joe player is more likely to go to big box stores and it's also probably why there's an FNM ad in pretty much every pack.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The shocking thing isn't that there's a ton of kitchen table players, but that they're the majority of the income. Most games with gambling as your purchase method (e.g. lootboxes, booster packs, etc) get most of their money from a tiny extremely enfranchised portion of their playerbase

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the extremely huge difference there is that those other games with gambling purchase methods do not have handy second hand markets full of copies of the individual things you want or need.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not actually surprised. My guess is a lot of enfranchised players don't actually make WotC a lot of money since we are probably more secondary market shoppers than primary ones (buying singles, etc).

e;fb

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Lol just found out Ross Merriam is a full on tankie, how did I not find this out before

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Idk it’s basically all he tweets about.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Well I only just looked at his Twitter because Twitter rots your brain

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

There are so many places to sling spells in NYC that I haven’t found any particular place to be more crowded than the places I played at in NoVa. That said, prereleases and special events get sold out loving quick up here. So it’s always a good idea to prereg for stuff.

Oh hey, as a former NoVA person, what's the best place to go if I want to play in some drafts? Is Victory Comics good?

As far as actual paper play I've only ever played kitchen table. Never gone to a tournament, event or FNM, despite playing a shitload of Arena. I mostly just don't really have the time as a 30-something to build a deck in paper and go to a tournament and FNM just isn't appealing to me when Arena exists. I'd go to draft tournaments though since you can't really get the draft experience in Arena and I refuse to touch MTGO because it'll die soon.

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 9, 2019

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

axeil posted:

Oh hey, as a former NoVA person, what's the best place to go if I want to play in some drafts? Is Victory Comics good?

Victory Comics isn't bad. There's a good mix of casual and high level players. They're probably the biggest regular gathering in the Arlington/Falls Church/Annandale area. The big issue is their singles and product are pretty overpriced. Compleat Strategist has events, but it is a lot smaller and less dedicated to Magic. An acquaintance of mine was running The Island Games down in Centreville, and they have super cheap drafts if you just want to get reps in, but apparently they closed back in August? Then there's Curio Cavern down in Springfield. I think I went to that place maybe once. Don't remember much about it.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

MikeCrotch posted:

Lol just found out Ross Merriam is a full on tankie, how did I not find this out before

I take it sucking China's cock isn't ironic and he is genuinely just awful.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If you're drafting on MTGO you're not doing it to build a collection, so it's impending death doesn't really matter. Can't speak to the population, though I have to imagine the people still there are pretty serious about drafting.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Modo will outlive Arena

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Oceanbound posted:

I take it sucking China's cock isn't ironic and he is genuinely just awful.

https://twitter.com/RossHunneds/status/1181464485028077568

not sure "urging cynicism at the US's motives in exploiting HK protests" qualifies as sucking cock :thunk:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/RossHunneds/status/1181464485028077568

not sure "urging cynicism at the US's motives in exploiting HK protests" qualifies as sucking cock :thunk:

you cherry picked his least stupid tweet. When I read the tankie post I rolled my eyes because 90% of the time when someone’s called a tankie it’s just some pearl clutching lib or socdem outraged at the uncouth Marxists, but merriam’s Twitter is full on Grover Furr. he’s a dum dum.

I mean being a Marxist is good and I’m glad to see that but being an apologist for brutal state capitalist regimes because they say the right thing about US imperialism is some red guard poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

you cherry picked his least stupid tweet. When I read the tankie post I rolled my eyes because 90% of the time when someone’s called a tankie it’s just some pearl clutching lib or socdem outraged at the uncouth Marxists, but merriam’s Twitter is full on Grover Furr. he’s a dum dum.

I mean being a Marxist is good and I’m glad to see that but being an apologist for brutal state capitalist regimes because they say the right thing about US imperialism is some red guard poo poo

ok looking at his retweets yeah its pretty loving yikes.

i mean he has a point that us criticism of the prc is never ever done in good faith and will likely not lead to actual beneficial outcomes for workers but they can be not as bad as the us and still loving sucks.