Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Ardennes posted:

It also adds evidence that we are actually genuinely in a second Cold War.

much like the previous one it's unilaterally declared by the united states against a country in a distant second

china's more like a lightyear distant third

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/jyarow/status/1181508994847907840

quote:

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver issued the following statement regarding the NBA and China:

I recognize our initial statement left people angered, confused or unclear on who we are or what the NBA stands for. Let me be more clear.

Over the last three decades, the NBA has developed a great affinity for the people of China. We have seen how basketball can be an important form of people-to-people exchange that deepens ties between the United States and China.

At the same time, we recognize that our two countries have different political systems and beliefs. And like many global brands, we bring our business to places with different political systems around the world.

But for those who question our motivation, this is about far more than growing our business.

Values of equality, respect and freedom of expression have long defined the NBA -- and will continue to do so. As an American-based basketball league operating globally, among our greatest contributions are these values of the game.

In fact, one of the enduring strengths of the NBA is our diversity -- of views, backgrounds, ethnicities, genders and religions. Twenty-five percent of NBA players were born outside of the United States and our colleagues work in league offices around the world, including in Beijing, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Taipei.

With that diversity comes the belief that whatever our differences, we respect and value each other; and, what we have in common, including a belief in the power of sports to make a difference, remains our bedrock principle.

It is inevitable that people around the world -- including from America and China -- will have different viewpoints over different issues. It is not the role of the NBA to adjudicate those differences.

However, the NBA will not put itself in a position of regulating what players, employees and team owners say or will not say on these issues. We simply could not operate that way.

Basketball runs deep in the hearts and minds of our two peoples. At a time when divides between nations grow deeper and wider, we believe sports can be a unifying force that focuses on what we have in common as human beings rather than our differences.
This is the entirety of Silver's statement

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

China is a fascist state.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
To be fair China is typically good and wholesome on not challenging sovereignty or social stability, and for example has supported Maduro and Assad

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

super sweet best pal posted:

China is a fascist state.

Eh, they aren't as bad as that. This still sucks though.

Do better, Xi.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

not sure I would brag about spending $10,000 on a virtual card game, that doesn't require you to spend even $1 to get all the cards

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Modest Mao posted:

To be fair China is typically good and wholesome on not challenging sovereignty or social stability, and for example has supported Maduro and Assad

:chloe:

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
otoh America is a vile hypocrite for trying to take the moral high ground on this while starving the Yemenis and leaving the Kurds to be ethnically cleansed by Turkey.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

edit: misread

AnimeIsTrash has issued a correction as of 22:18 on Oct 8, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

China is hosed up but they're the only chance humanity has to break free from American domination, and thus the only moral choice is to support them

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean China hasn't done anything about the Rohingya genocide in Myanmar either despite everything, if we're talking state crimes against humanity

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Americans do feel entitled to publicly support unpopular violent movements abroad without any knowledge of the situation or history.

We are exceptionally good at that and our media + government really take advantage of it / reinforce it

Might seem weird to foreigners. Like if some billionaire in india who had never been to the US said he supports the black panthers and indian media was just fawning over the black panthers all the time (in the 60s). well, ok, thanks

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
China needs to bring back struggle sessions, but woke.

"Comrades, you are all shitlords and until you have thoroughly and dialectically checked your priveledge you will not leave this room."

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I dont thonk this was sarcasm

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
China needs to bring back expropriating landlords too, except the entire capitalist class

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I also think China would have condemned Russia's invasion of crimea if they weren't trying to build closer ties with russia . then again they were just getting in really close with ukraine in the same period. awkward

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Modest Mao posted:

China needs to bring back expropriating landlords too, except the entire capitalist class

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SKULL.GIF posted:

RIP, Homework Explainer can never come back to America

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1181649458699870208

It's just on people involved / declared to be involved in Xinjiang shenanigans.

for now

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
China would bring the dictatorship of the proletarian's to HK except HK has no proletarian's left.

Hopefully the riches still get to be eaten.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Please join me in boycotting Hearthstone and WoW Classic. Thank you, gamers.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

please read the op

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

China is hosed up but they're the only chance humanity has to break free from American domination, and thus the only moral choice is to support them

lol we're utterly hosed

come to think of it, as of 2019 most of the other potential rising powers are also insanely fascist. brazil, india, and russia come immediately to mind. what a world.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/byjoelanderson/status/1181413764857417728

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
gonna be a lot of brand lovers coming to the uncomfortable realization, as china gains the kind of financial hegemony and soft power the US has, that companies only ever championed rights/ideologies they believed in only as long as it made them money. and will go back on those principles right quick if it means they stand to gain more money

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BobSaietta/status/1181680601444864004

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://i.imgur.com/zxzCWLm.gifv

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Relin posted:

gonna be a lot of brand lovers coming to the uncomfortable realization, as china gains the kind of financial hegemony and soft power the US has, that companies only ever championed rights/ideologies they believed in only as long as it made them money. and will go back on those principles right quick if it means they stand to gain more money

The thing is, the US is still ~25% of world GDP, so the Chinese government isn't really in a position to dictate to US consumers, let alone Western consumers in general. I don't see the Chinese government pushing hard on this without embarrassing themselves. Soft power is one thing, but if they go to the entertainment industry as a jealous lover and say "that's it! It's them or me!" then they may be disappointed in the results.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Relin posted:

Let 100 48-hour boycotts bloom.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Norton the First posted:

The thing is, the US is still ~25% of world GDP, so the Chinese government isn't really in a position to dictate to US consumers, let alone Western consumers in general. I don't see the Chinese government pushing hard on this without embarrassing themselves. Soft power is one thing, but if they go to the entertainment industry as a jealous lover and say "that's it! It's them or me!" then they may be disappointed in the results.

It's not so much a question of dictating to consumers as it is dictating directly to the companies. They just did it to the NBA and the league is trying its best to capitulate hard enough for China's tastes. The only question is how much money is at stake. For the NBA it was several billion dollars per year. For major Hollywood movie studios the calculus will likely be similar. Capital must amass.

Vox Nihili has issued a correction as of 03:33 on Oct 9, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Homework Explainer's only crime was being ahead of the curve :hmmyes:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mantis42 posted:

China is hosed up

without typo, r. guyovich or tino here for the next week, who will carry the flag and lead the charge to fight back against this vicious attack against poor china

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I know it’s not an argument made in good faith or seriousness, or made out of true ignorance but I’ve been loling at the idea of how people here would react to the US doing some of the things China does, like mandatory military training and propaganda sessions for students as young as middle school depending on the province.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mild criticism is just wrapping the China Pill in meat so the western dogs will happily eat it, duh.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

LimburgLimbo posted:

I know it’s not an argument made in good faith or seriousness, or made out of true ignorance but I’ve been loling at the idea of how people here would react to the US doing some of the things China does, like mandatory military training and propaganda sessions for students as young as middle school depending on the province.
Propaganda in the classroom :monocle:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LimburgLimbo posted:

mandatory military training

economic coercion is still coercion

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Tom Smykowski posted:

Propaganda in the classroom :monocle:

i was lolling over this one too, also very funny if you don't think we're gonna ramp up military integration if you read anything about climate change. Our culture is extremely ready.

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

economic coercion is still coercion

Which makes me wonder how free college would impact the military's ability to recruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:29 on Mar 23, 2021