Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

New featurette/trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbSr_n_zsFY

I'm hopeful for this. I do like the mythos and the world that Terminator is set in, so a movie where that storyline is carried forward correctly could be awesome. My biggest hesitation right now is that Salvation and Genisys both had ideas which sounded like they could have worked, but totally didn't. But this team seems like they know what they're doing...I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
There's never going to be a Terminator that lives up to the first two because the thing those movies had going for them was surprise and novelty and you're never going to get either of those iterating on the franchise more and more. We got a movie that introduced Terminators as a thing and a movie that subverted that by having a Terminator as a good guy, everything else is just rehashing those two concepts with diminishing returns. What people truly want is to experience something new and exciting and it would be a better use of everyone's time to seek out new smaller projects by upcoming people rather than retreat to the familiar in the vain hopes of recapturing some of that magic you felt being surprised by something new and unexpected four sequels ago but unfortunately that's not how we're wired so we're going to keep being disappointed by the familiar than taking a risk on the unexpected.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly I just want a decently well-crafted, entertaining movie about time-traveling robots murking people

This shouldn't really be a tall ask for a Terminator movie and Dark Fate looks like it might actually give me that

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Wild T posted:

No, it's programmed not to kill a slave, but the son of the Emperor of Rome itself. So it works its way up the ranks of the Roman Army and becomes closer to its target until the current emperor is suddenly murdered and his son takes power. Then it must fight as a gladiator slave to complete its mission, at which point it goes aimless and fights eternally in every war up, eventually working in the Pentagon at the end of the Cold War. The movie ends with it greenlighting the Skynet project and the words "Written by Nick Cave".
my new Terminator concept: Terminator shenanigans throughout history, including a Diogenes and Plato "BEHOLD A MAN" scene without any actual Terminator involved, just for the hell of it.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly I just want a decently well-crafted, entertaining movie about time-traveling robots murking people
my new Terminator concept: all of the existing films again, but remade in this style

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Make a horror slasher flick and then halfway through its revealed the bad guy is a terminator

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Terror Sweat posted:

Make a horror slasher flick and then halfway through its revealed the bad guy is a terminator

I've always had a dream of making a movie that was your standard bland romantic comedy about a successful businesswoman meeting an a guy and falling in love. Make it a complete template film with the awkward romance, the misunderstanding, breakup and reunion, all the standard fare of a mid-2000s rom com. Then in the third act she finds out the guy is a manipulative psychopath trying to murder her and it suddenly diverts straight into a stalker horror movie.

Just take that concept and make him a Terminator, too. Or poo poo, even better, go for the gusto and make her one.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Wild T posted:

I've always had a dream of making a movie that was your standard bland romantic comedy about a successful businesswoman meeting an a guy and falling in love. Make it a complete template film with the awkward romance, the misunderstanding, breakup and reunion, all the standard fare of a mid-2000s rom com. Then in the third act she finds out the guy is a manipulative psychopath trying to murder her and it suddenly diverts straight into a stalker horror movie.

Just take that concept and make him a Terminator, too. Or poo poo, even better, go for the gusto and make her one.

Then spoiler the twist in the trailer.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I was thinking an Arnold drama character study movie where he finds out his wife is having an affair. We follow him as he copes with it with a tone of like Eyes Wide Shut. It climaxes when Arnold confronts his wife in the arms of her lover and we find out it is a Predator. The Predator laughs, says this is revenge and we get a climax that is an epic fight as the nuke timer counts down.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Pretty much any of the ideas that have been floated in this thread would be more interesting to me than what will more than likely be more of the loving same poo poo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Sleeveless posted:

There's never going to be a Terminator that lives up to the first two because the thing those movies had going for them was surprise and novelty and you're never going to get either of those iterating on the franchise more and more.

The reason people wanted Future War is because it was the last frontier, there still could have been surprises and such about it. Then they actually did it and sorta dropped the ball.

There's almost nothing that can be done further with "two opposing warriors travel through time to protect X". As SMG has pointed out, every possible permutation of that scenario has already been done.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Grendels Dad posted:

Then spoiler the twist in the trailer.

How would anyone even know to see a movie like that otherwise?

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Sleeveless posted:

There's never going to be a Terminator that lives up to the first two because the thing those movies had going for them was surprise and novelty and you're never going to get either of those iterating on the franchise more and more. We got a movie that introduced Terminators as a thing and a movie that subverted that by having a Terminator as a good guy, everything else is just rehashing those two concepts with diminishing returns. What people truly want is to experience something new and exciting and it would be a better use of everyone's time to seek out new smaller projects by upcoming people rather than retreat to the familiar in the vain hopes of recapturing some of that magic you felt being surprised by something new and unexpected four sequels ago but unfortunately that's not how we're wired so we're going to keep being disappointed by the familiar than taking a risk on the unexpected.
I mostly agree with ya here: Nothing ever will live up to the first two movies. But I think it's still possible to tell a compelling story set in this world...it just hasn't been done in a long time. Maybe because the last two movies were so awful is why I'm hoping for something that resembles quality out of this franchise.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The reason people wanted Future War is because it was the last frontier, there still could have been surprises and such about it. Then they actually did it and sorta dropped the ball.

There's almost nothing that can be done further with "two opposing warriors travel through time to protect X". As SMG has pointed out, every possible permutation of that scenario has already been done.

Have you considered one opposing warrior travels in time to kill X but the other to get him laid with the girl of his dreams after a comedy road trip in Europe when he is in college and she is a famous celebrity. Like not even to protect him, just get him laid cause his future self had one-itis and had the power to make it happen. It doesnt even impact the future.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Gatts posted:

Have you considered one opposing warrior travels in time to kill X but the other to get him laid with the girl of his dreams after a comedy road trip in Europe when he is in college and she is a famous celebrity. Like not even to protect him, just get him laid cause his future self had one-itis and had the power to make it happen. It doesnt even impact the future.

I'm listening.....

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Wild T posted:

First twist: He's a Terminator!
Second twist: She's also a Terminator!
Final twist: The movie never actually stopped being a romcom.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fish Noise posted:

First twist: He's a Terminator!
Second twist: She's also a Terminator!
Final twist: The movie never actually stopped being a romcom.

SUMMER 2025

YOU'LL DISCOVER

IF TERMINATORS

CAN BANG

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

SUMMER 2025

YOU'LL DISCOVER

IF TERMINATORS

CAN BANG

The twist...but can they stop? Endless robotic stamina.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Gatts posted:

The secret to John Connor's ability to destroy Skynet is that he uploads his entire fetish artwork collection into it.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Gatts posted:

I know now why you climax. But it is something I can never do.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The point isn’t that every possible scenario has been done. The point is that fans have already gotten everything they’ve demanded, and it’s only made them more miserable. They don’t actually know what they want.

Like, “I want a movie that’s entirely ‘future war’ with specifically purple lasers.” No, you don’t. The reason the future war scenes in T1 ‘work’ is because they’re only a few minutes long and presented as the prophetic visions (or hallucinations) of a homeless Vietnam vet in 1980s L.A.. Take that away and you’re left with yet another unironic Starship Troopers - with the bonus of already knowing the ending (humans kill the AI).

The makers of Salvation and Genesis knew this, which is why their ‘future wars’ are different. Salvation critiques the future war by presenting a blunt reality instead of a hallucination: “this is not the future my mother warned me about.” John Connor is not automatically good, and he’s gotta think about stuff. Oh no!

If the future is subtly different outside the broad strokes, then the past is in danger too. Suddenly the conflict is less about exterminating the robots and more about actually progressing society.

Genesis then showcases the opposite version, where everything is way too easy. It’s a calcified, nostalgic vision of the future. Comfortingly naive. John Connor triumphs effortlessly, humanity beats the evil AI - but what happens now? Oops, the AI simply makes itself human, joins the winning team, and reaps all the rewards.

There’s no accounting for taste, but these are both perfectly well-made films, depicting scenarios fans have asked to see. So it’s implicit that the viscerally negative reaction is due to this critical stance towards the concept of ‘future war’.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The point isn’t that every possible scenario has been done. The point is that fans have already gotten everything they’ve demanded, and it’s only made them more miserable. They don’t actually know what they want.

That's not true. They want Terminator: Battle Across Time 3d, which if you read the comments is full of people flipping out about how much better it is than all the sequels to Terminator 2.

I note here that it doesn't detonate your premise of why Future War works at all, since much like the Future War scenes in T1 and T2 it's a very short 12 minute feature that's full of nothing but good Terminator action beats, cool 3d shots, and one liners. It also neatly puts a button on the series, since it literally ends with T-800 beating the T-1,000,000 via the same method he used in Terminator 2, showing that Skynet's obsession with escalation leads absolutely nowhere.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 8, 2019

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

The reason the future war scenes in T1 ‘work’ is because they’re only a few minutes long and presented as the prophetic visions (or hallucinations) of a homeless Vietnam vet in 1980s L.A..
my new Terminator concept: Kyle Reese has survived the 1984 T-800. Things seem mostly alright living with Sarah for a while, but his flashbacks start getting worse, turning into increasingly intrusive and horrific hallucinations, and it is no longer clear what's real or not anymore as other Resistance members, Terminators, and implications of human experiments by Skynet begin appearing. In the end, he's back in the infiltrated shelter with the burnt photo, dead.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gatts posted:

I was thinking an Arnold drama character study movie where he finds out his wife is having an affair. We follow him as he copes with it with a tone of like Eyes Wide Shut. It climaxes when Arnold confronts his wife in the arms of her lover and we find out it is a Predator. The Predator laughs, says this is revenge and we get a climax that is an epic fight as the nuke timer counts down.

But also Arnie's the Terminator right

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Saw the trailer before Joker.

I might watch this just to see Border Patrol getting murked :getin:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Fish Noise posted:

my new Terminator concept: Kyle Reese has survived the 1984 T-800. Things seem mostly alright living with Sarah for a while, but his flashbacks start getting worse, turning into increasingly intrusive and horrific hallucinations, and it is no longer clear what's real or not anymore as other Resistance members, Terminators, and implications of human experiments by Skynet begin appearing. In the end, he's back in the infiltrated shelter with the burnt photo, dead.

Remake Repulsion, but the main character is Terminator.

Call it Repulsinator.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Ehh just because some ideas were executed doesn't mean they were well executed.
Also the Televesion series had (good) future war stuff in it that was close to the originals as well as a good twists on the whole human vs Skynet conflict. I don't want to say the show was great overall, it was certainly uneven but had more good ideas (and scenes) than all Terminator movies after T2 and more importantly it had good characters/character development that made you actually feel something.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Wild T posted:

You either saw Audition and forgot, or you need to go watch Audition. If you haven't seen it, try to go in as blind as possible.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

my new Terminator concept: The Future War is actually a pro wrestling federation. Tech-Com stable ace Kyle Reese has been thrown around a few too many times, and is retiring from the ring to be an agent and announcer. To facilitate this change, Tech-Com manager John Connor and promotion owner Skynet have cooked up a ridiculous time travel plot...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gatts posted:

Unfortunately I think the ship has sailed on True Lies 2.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

This subroutine better still work in 2019...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sasquatch! posted:

This subroutine better still work in 2019...

gently caress YOU, rear end in a top hat and gently caress YOU being two separate responses has always been one of my favorite little things in any movie ever.

The same way Fox had those five Alien short films they should have random people film the third act of The Terminator but it has to start with this scene and each person's film is how the story plays out with the other responses.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

just make a historical terminator, please. give me a scene where arnold, clad in full plate armor, gets shot in the stomach with a ballista

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Neo Rasa posted:

gently caress YOU, rear end in a top hat and gently caress YOU being two separate responses has always been one of my favorite little things in any movie ever.

The same way Fox had those five Alien short films they should have random people film the third act of The Terminator but it has to start with this scene and each person's film is how the story plays out with the other responses.
important question: Is the gently caress YOUniverse a Blue Plasma timeline or a Purple Plasma timeline?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

That's not true. They want Terminator: Battle Across Time 3d, which if you read the comments is full of people flipping out about how much better it is than all the sequels to Terminator 2.

I note here that it doesn't detonate your premise of why Future War works at all, since much like the Future War scenes in T1 and T2 it's a very short 12 minute feature that's full of nothing but good Terminator action beats, cool 3d shots, and one liners. It also neatly puts a button on the series, since it literally ends with T-800 beating the T-1,000,000 via the same method he used in Terminator 2, showing that Skynet's obsession with escalation leads absolutely nowhere.

We can certainly go down that route - but then we have to be specific.

T23D is structured as a prologue and three acts. Acts 1 and 3 are the diegetic presentation (the stunt show that simulates a Cyberdyne product demonstration gone wrong, and a battle in the Skynet core), while the prologue and Act 2 are mostly-extradiegetic short films.

The prologue short itself has three acts that mirror the rest of the show. It begins with a diegetic advertisement for Cyberdyne products, then Sarah Connor hijacks the video feed. As she speaks, the screen starts playing a montage of clips from T2: Judgment Day, telling the story of the “Uncle Bob” Terminator. And, if you think about it, that’s a fairly odd decision. Just about the only way to read this shift into fantasy is that Sarah’s words have such force that the audience experiences this shared vision or hallucination as they become initiated into ‘The Resistance’. (Notably, most of the shots are from scenes where Sarah wasn’t actually present.) But the hallucination fades away, diegetic footage resumes, and the Cyberdyne advertisement ends with the image of a terminator skull morphing into a mechanical butterfly.

So now we’re in Act 1 of the actual show, as live “product demonstration” takes place. Everything is fairly straightforward, until characters from the earlier ‘hallucinatory’ short film start invading the live show. A stunt battle with live actors goes on for a bit, and culminates in an explosion as the audience is ‘sucked into a portal’. This is Act 2, the second short film - playing in bright, vivid 3D, on a much larger screen. The audience is having a full-fledged out-of-body experience as they watch Arnold and John Connor fight their way into Skynet HQ, where they step through a huge door and find... the audience?!

Through this trippy switching of perspectives, the audience returns to ‘reality’ in Act 3 to find that the Cyberdyne auditorium is now an alien robotic facility, housing a giant mechanical spider. The point here is that the audience is now fully indoctrinated - perceiving themselves as the inhuman enemy, totally down for the bombing of the show they came to attend. After all, the Connors did warn that civilians had 5 minutes to evacuate - and everyone stuck around. Skynet explodes, the audience dies(???) and the final image is... the terminator skull again, now morphing into Arnold’s face while Sarah Connor narrates. It’s a repeat of the butterfly image!

What’s good about T23D is that, by being so stupid and inexplicable, it cuts through a lot of the bullshit and gets right to the point. How can Arnold drive a motorcycle through the time machine? It doesn’t matter; it’s a hallucination. How are “Uncle Bob” and T-1000 even be here? Oh, they’re metaphorical personifications of Good and Evil. How is Sarah Connor narrating the ending? Well, you’re literally watching an advertisement for the Terminator franchise. The show, interestingly, equates Sarah Connor’s dramatic voiceovers with the corporate promotional video. Her speech about how thankful she is for the “heroic machines” that protect her son parallels the Cyberdyne ad’s emphasis on comfort and security - machines taking care of children.

In the context of the first two films, there’s something troubling in how the Resistance now has presumably hundreds of these “Uncle Bob” terminators - mass-produced with sunglasses, quips and Harleys. The message is seemingly that everything is corrupt and the only escape is death?

In any case, what you’re talking about is a related phenomenon to the perpetual dissatisfaction: fans will point to this thing, the TV show, or some videogame as an example of “how or should be done”. But those things have been done, because they are done.

The TV show existed, and it was mediocre “Agents of Shield” stuff. These things all have been met with widespread indifference. (This post is probably the most anyone has bothered to read T23D.) But the show had likeable characters? GI JOE had likeable chatscters. That’s not what makes a good narrative. People will post examples of the TV show’s greatest moments, and they’re invariably crap because fans are like “I love when that T-1000 character turns into a urinal and kills everyone!” and ignore that that story is told very badly.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 10, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

In any case, what you’re talking about is a related phenomenon to the perpetual dissatisfaction: fans will point to this thing, the TV show, or some videogame as an example of “how or should be done”. But those things have been done, because they are done.

The TV show existed, and it was mediocre “Agents of Shield” stuff. These things all have been met with widespread indifference. (This post is probably the most anyone has bothered to read T23D.) But the show had likeable characters? GI JOE had likeable chatscters. That’s not what makes a good narrative. People will post examples of the TV show’s greatest moments, and they’re invariably crap because fans are like “I love when that T-1000 character turns into a urinal and kills everyone!” and ignore that that story is told very badly.

SMG, if there's one thing you can take away from our dialogues, it's that I 100% agree with you on this point. I've seen the light, you've converted me. There's no way to be happy by perpetually wanting a rehash of what you've seen before, only with "secret sauce". James Cameron is 100% on point when he says that the proper way to do a sequel is to answer a question the audience never thought to ask and if you can't do that just don't bother.

Also thank you for interpreting T23D as a mass hallucination designed to indoctrinate the audience into Cyberdyne's ideology. That's unironically The Takes I Crave.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

SMG, if there's one thing you can take away from our dialogues, it's that I 100% agree with you on this point. I've seen the light, you've converted me. There's no way to be happy by perpetually wanting a rehash of what you've seen before, only with "secret sauce". James Cameron is 100% on point when he says that the proper way to do a sequel is to answer a question the audience never thought to ask and if you can't do that just don't bother.

Also thank you for interpreting T23D as a mass hallucination designed to indoctrinate the audience into Cyberdyne's ideology. That's unironically The Takes I Crave.

It doesn't matter whether they make sequels or not, because it's actually on the audience to change how they approach films.

Arnold is slow and stupid in T1. He has the gun pointed directly at Sarah Connor's forehead and pauses to calculate(???) before he can pull the trigger. Fans imagine him to be this super-skilled gunman and hand-to-hand combatant, but he actually sucks at it! The robot's most impressive feat is actually being able to dress himself and walk without falling over. Point being that fans "like the character" while ignoring the characterization of him as brutal but shambling, and clumsy.

Likewise, with T23D, I'm sure any fan will tell you they like this Sarah Connor character - but nobody bothers to look at what she says or does. The stuff she's doing in the show is super-questionable, and totally in keeping with Salvation and Genysis' points that The Resistance are just weaker than Skynet - not necessarily better. They eventually kill Skynet and therefore take over the world, but... now what?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah actually your whole point about the T800 being kinda dumb really stuck with me. He gets tossed through a window and lies there like a dork for 8 seconds or so. Watching the first encounter with the busted up T600 in Salvation is a pretty accurate to your characterization: here's a very tough robot with heavy artillery who can't hit anything and falls for obvious traps.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yeah actually your whole point about the T800 being kinda dumb really stuck with me. He gets tossed through a window and lies there like a dork for 8 seconds or so. Watching the first encounter with the busted up T600 in Salvation is a pretty accurate to your characterization: here's a very tough robot with heavy artillery who can't hit anything and falls for obvious traps.

It’s that, but you also have to go back to the “gently caress you, rear end in a top hat” scene. Yeah, it’s a funny moment - but it’s also key characterization.

Arnold’s living in a filthy apartment, dressed like a punk. Landlord’s banging on the door. He tries to say “gently caress you!”, but his responses are sluggish. The words don’t feel like his own, because he believes a computer in his head is dictating his actions. He walks over to the mirror, picks up a scalpel, and casually makes a reference to Un Chien Andalou - believing that it will give him new clarity of vision. He sees a curious red light where his eye used to be.

Make a 1980s slasher called The Phonebook Killer about a guy who’s totally insane, choosing a random name out of the phonebook and killing each one to make a point about the computerization of society or something. There’s no difference. The cops aren’t exactly wrong to say this guy is just a drugged-up psycho, because that’s exactly how a terminator behaves.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like to think he tries to say "please come back later" but a bug in the code makes gently caress YOU come out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The item I'm most interested in is being addressed by Dark Fate. It looks like it will poke at the T-800 after it has learned to the point it is independent and capable of own thinking and decisions, following the end of T2. It also seems like it is addressing a future where a human can be modified by technology who is protecting the girl. I think the trailer is showing all that. The one I'm thinking will be a surprise that we don't expect is...I don't think it's so straightforward what the T-1000/800's goals are or will be.

It does feel like not only will the story try to take the next steps but also feed off of the other sequels and kind of address them.

Did Cameron write the story at least? Even if he's not directing?

EDIT: The other possibility is that maybe the T-800 kills John and the new girl is her replacement. Fate always needs a resistance leader against Skynet and this whole thing continues in a forced loop. Hence, Dark Fate or whatever.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 10, 2019