Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

Care to tell us?

Look up Operation Countryman - TLDR in the seventies the Met really were the biggest gang in London, and the Vice Squad pretty much muscled out all of the gangs that had been fighting over Soho and Chinatown since the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ms Adequate posted:

Don't ask twisto to tell on himself

That is very fair. I just love twisto story time!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Josef bugman posted:

I do too, it's absolutely wild how much he knows about like, everything!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

OwlFancier posted:

Or forever, news is shite, imo.

Just read the thread and let the people with the specific kind of brain mutation that allows them to parse news to translate it into human for you.

Well also this thread too.

Ash Crimson, go play videogames or watch films or darn socks or whatever. Disconnect

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Extremely normal country where football clubs are doing jobs that the local or state government ought to be doing but have abrogated their responsibilities.

Pay are footer boys soldiers pay etc.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
In the post-brexitpocalypse, england will feudalize not under the aristocracy: who are useless and faint at the sight of the poor, which will be everyone, but the football clubs.

Edit: And yes, I do mean england specifically. Ireland will reunify, Wales will sink beneath the waves and Scotland will pull the emergency disconnect, floating off into the north sea, never to be seen again.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 9, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Fallen Scotland.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

replace Florida with England

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

forkboy84 posted:

Maybe the Premier League sides should be better with their money, live within their means & all that. Like, don't spunk Ł20m up on the wall for Oliver McBurnie, a striker with 16 EPL games to his name & 0 goals. The money floating about in English football is absurd and if they can't budget for it then nae oval office to blame but themselves.

Now this is a sport with capitalism. But, it has too much capitalism. So I don't know, you might want to wear a hat.

If the 50s hadn't ruined that for some reason.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

I'm not entirely sure that that approach is effective though, because it ultimately means people have to accept they were hoodwinked by the stupid and the corrupt. This is... not a thing human people tend to find easy to do.
The best adaption of it I've seen is the 'fool me once...' version. Make it clear that it's Boris / Leave.eu's fault for tricking people first time, but that if you believe qny of that poo poo in a second referendum then you're the idiot. It allows space for Gammons to channel their anger (their only remaining emotion) into feeling tricked and therefore opposing brexit.

xtothez posted:

It's not their decision to make. An A50 extension has to be requested first, one can't be imposed unilaterally.

Either Boris sends the letter or a GNU has to.
They could offer one, but parliament would have to vote to accept it, and a prorogued parliament can't vote.

Then again even a sitting parliament might gently caress it up right now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's only prorogued until next week.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Guavanaut posted:

Extremely normal country where football clubs are doing jobs that the local or state government ought to be doing but have abrogated their responsibilities.

In event of No Deal Brexit we will loan out Andy Carroll and Jonjo Shelvey to Morrisons to guard their stores from looters

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Pratchett references are of course praxis but in case you were unsure, xtothez' "GNU" stood for Government of National Unity

Guavanaut posted:

Fallen Scotland.

Would play this.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

Now this is a sport with capitalism. But, it has too much capitalism. So I don't know, you might want to wear a hat.

If the 50s hadn't ruined that for some reason.
A cap possibly?

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Newstatemen take on the big Spectator post from yesterday re No 10 and brexit:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2019/10/how-leaked-briefing-suggests-no-10-not-yet-nearing-reckless-no-deal-brexit

TL:DR - not quite hosed yet but no unity government because Swinson won't play ball and Corbyn won't back down.

Everyone seems to be convinced he won't resign on the morning of Oct 31st? Why?

It works perfectly. Boris resigns to call a GE and either the opposition hastily cobbles together a GNU to prevent us from crashing out or they don't and we crash out. There is clearly no possibility of that GNU lasting longer than it takes to pass an extension and much doubt it could even get that far.

Win/win for Boris; he gets the GE he needs, he keeps his promise not to extend, and 70:30 we Brexit anyway.

Corbyn should 100% refuse to be roped into being the patsy here but the leadership seem to have bought hook line and sinker in to the idea being pushed by the usual wreckers that pushing Boris off his 31st date will reduce his chances in the GE.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If they make boris do it I think it will, if boris forces parliament to do it, the effect is lessened though I think there'll still be a mild effect of him failing to do it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rustybear posted:

It works perfectly. Boris resigns to call a GE and either the opposition hastily cobbles together a GNU to prevent us from crashing out or they don't and we crash out. There is clearly no possibility of that GNU lasting longer than it takes to pass an extension and much doubt it could even get that far.

Win/win for Boris; he gets the GE he needs, he keeps his promise not to extend, and 70:30 we Brexit anyway.

Boris resigning does not trigger a General Election. It triggers a Conservative Party leadership contest.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rustybear posted:

Corbyn should 100% refuse to be roped into being the patsy here but the leadership seem to have bought hook line and sinker in to the idea being pushed by the usual wreckers that pushing Boris off his 31st date will reduce his chances in the GE.

The PM resigning doesn't lead (directly) to a General Election. He would still need to get an FTPA-compatible vote through the Commons, although (once again thanks a lot pigfucker) FTPA leads us into a legislative dead end if Parliament can't decide on a PM *or* pass a new election bill.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/ginamartinuk/status/1181856561897119744?s=20

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Of all the days to work from home, I picked the day where there's no work, lol. At least I can shitpost in this thread all day.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Jedit posted:

Boris resigning does not trigger a General Election. It triggers a Conservative Party leadership contest.

In principle no but in practise once the opposition tries and fails to achieve anything it does force a GE.

For the latter, is this is actually mandated anywhere in their party rules? And are we really resting our political hopes on the entirely arbitrary bylaws of the Tory party.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

4 bed terrace in St Anne's Court, W1, £4.5m!!
This little backwater used to house a fab Science Fiction bookshop called Dark They Were and Golden Eyed, and then that turned into a heavy metal record store called Shades.
I was an avid customer of both these shops for years.

My mum worked there (DTW&GE) with the owner until they had to flee to the North to escape the mob who they owed money to, iirc because Thatcher changed something around book importation so it wasn't viable to keep up the repayments

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I had to google all three of those.

This is why Leave won.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The PM resigning doesn't lead (directly) to a General Election. He would still need to get an FTPA-compatible vote through the Commons, although (once again thanks a lot pigfucker) FTPA leads us into a legislative dead end if Parliament can't decide on a PM *or* pass a new election bill.

Have to admit I'm far from an expert on the FTPA but I assume if Boris can't get a GE vote through parliament and nobody else can get a GE vote through parliament and there's no functioning government because the PM has stepped down then it defaults to....a GE?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

They don't even need Corbyn as interim pm. They can just pass a law saying 'this person is now deputised to ask for an extension and we're having a GE on this specific date also suck it boris'

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

This is why Leave won.

I think occitane make perfume or something?

E: woo yay I know one of them.

E2: also where is that photograph taken? It's like the abstract shopping zone, just piles of identical cans and jars of poo poo with no price stripping.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Guavanaut posted:

This is why Leave won.

To be fair you're doing Brexit stockpiling wrong if you're stockpiling cheddar cheese, scrumpy and Yorkshire puddings.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Food, medicines, and a source of heat are stockpiling. Anything else is stockpile LARPing or hoarding. Wall for both.

OwlFancier posted:

I think occitane make perfume or something?
Beauty products, croissants and tearooms, and champagne and sparkling wines I think. I thought one of them might be champagne.

OwlFancier posted:

E: woo yay I know one of them.
Wall, but a soft wall. Hedge.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Moonwolf posted:

My mum worked there (DTW&GE) with the owner until they had to flee to the North to escape the mob who they owed money to, iirc because Thatcher changed something around book importation so it wasn't viable to keep up the repayments

:chanpop: that's amazing! Tried googling the Thatcher thing to no avail.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Guavanaut posted:

Food, medicines, and a source of heat are stockpiling. Anything else is stockpile LARPing or hoarding. Wall for both.
tbf perfume could be a source of heat. Mad Max but the raider gangs are searching for the nicest-smelling houses, and Lord Humungus wears cologne as a sign of power

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Guavanaut posted:

stockpile LARPing

Once the kingdom is bereft of +2 Longswords we'll see who will have the last laugh, good sir.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I remember a while back, a friend of mine was telling me about how their Mum complaining she couldn't get hold of her favourite face cream anymore because of Brexit - if she wanted it she'd have to go to France and get it direct.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Guavanaut posted:

Pay are footer boys soldiers pay etc.

Also the obvious lie in the response is that Corbyn attested that Ashley puts his business interests before the livelihood of the club and his response was centred entirely on his personal interest, ignoring the likelihood that all of Newcastle’s commercial revenue is likely on a 95/5 split between Sports Direct and the club.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Miftan posted:

They don't even need Corbyn as interim pm. They can just pass a law saying 'this person is now deputised to ask for an extension and we're having a GE on this specific date also suck it boris'

Right but then Boris gets to frame the whole GE as 'I tried as hard as possible and those traitors in parliament connived to stop me' and his base will go nuts for it.

The sight of Ken Clarke or Soubry or whoever gets gulled into being that deputy will galvanise every single gammon the length and breadth of England to march through snow and ice to tell them where to stick it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rustybear posted:

Right but then Boris gets to frame the whole GE as 'I tried as hard as possible and those traitors in parliament connived to stop me' and his base will go nuts for it.

The sight of Ken Clarke or Soubry or whoever gets gulled into being that deputy will galvanise every single gammon the length and breadth of England to march through snow and ice to tell them where to stick it.

Yes, but he's doing that already, and going hard for NDB alienates the wet tories and makes them vote liberal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Rustybear posted:

Probably yeah, but if it comes down to Oct 31st its still better than no deal

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

Ms Adequate posted:

I do too, it's absolutely wild how much he knows about like, everything!

Which reminds me, I've had half an effortpost about the social cleansing of Balfron Tower stuck in my mind for ages now, because it's such a perfect microcosm of everything that's gone wrong with the housing market (and society in general) over the last 20 years - the only thing stopping me is how angry the whole thing makes me (including my main source on it being an insufferable twat who is only coincidentally on the right side of this particular story).

As I'm stuck at home waiting on a delivery I might as well dust it off and try and put something together now, because it's ages since I've gone on an incredibly long ramble interesting only to me and an assortment of like-minded nerds.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, but he's doing that already, and going hard for NDB alienates the wet tories and makes them vote liberal.

That's baked in already at this point; he's not losing anything by doubling down. Every wet lib dribbler he loses gains him one screaming Brexit Party war boy.

I'm mean i guess it comes down to gut instinct but it just feels like everyone has glommed on to 'Boris is finished if he can't force Brexit by Oct 31st' and there's scant actual reasoning as to why that's the case other than 'this is what everyone in the know knows'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

Probably yeah, but if it comes down to Oct 31st its still better than no deal
If it results in 5 years of a dry Tory majority of 100+ under Johnson then I'm not sure about that. Both will kill people, but one will do it with the veneer of legitimacy.